SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-12-2013, 17:43   #21
splitfinger09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownPicaro View Post
If it is legal, I don't see the harm. I remember people doing carrying evil black rifles at rallies where Obama was speaking. That didn't seem to be any more of a problem. I see a couple of young men exercising their first amendment rights and their second amendment rights at the same time. I guess we have a different view of things and the Bill of Rights.
I agree. Stand up for them people. Might not be the best way to go about it but good for them. Stand up for what is right. If you dont like it dont live in Oregon. Go hide with the democrats in California.

Found this on another forum.

"Support OC, CC, and noC - the real point is that we support the individual right, the freedom, to make that decision.

Regarding infighting and open dissension, yes we can be our own worst antagonists. "We have met the enemy and he is us."

Last edited by splitfinger09; 01-12-2013 at 18:49.. Reason: found a quote I liked
splitfinger09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 18:03   #22
Snowman92D

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ's Guns View Post
I do not think that they were "trying to help out", I think that they are morons trying to call attention to themselves and they hoped that this would get theim air time on TV, locally and across the country.
I think you've got 'em pegged. I've always suspected that the OC activist types engaged in that sort of conduct because they wanted to be the center of attention, and knew they'd never get it at a nudist camp.
Snowman92D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 19:25   #23
JabbaNoBother

...bet they suck tremendously at any card game, never show your hand. EVER.
Old 01-12-2013, 19:46   #24
RPVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
The Legalist asks- "Can I?"
The Libertine asks, "Will I?"
The Prudent man asks - "Should I?"
At my age, I ask, "Do I really have to?"
Old 01-12-2013, 19:50   #25
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPVG View Post

You and me both Brother.
Old 01-12-2013, 20:18   #26
Bruce M

Quote:
The real problem is they scare the folks that have no fixed opinion on the subject of guns. And they run the risk of alienating those that are on the fence on the issue.

All the anti's have to do is point to folks like these and say, "there, that's what the folks that own the "black rifles" are like, nutjobs that think carrying an assault weapon downtown is a great idea."

Quote:
Narcissistic navel gazers always have a different view of things, because for them they are the only thing that matters. Common sense and self restraint never enter into their thinking. all they think about is what they want.

They take liberty for license, adopting a thought process that is, "As long as it is legal I'll do it", then wail when society gets fed up with their antics and makes it illegal.

And even then they will never acknowledge that their activities were counter productive. And never served any purpose other than their own gratification.

The Legalist asks- "Can I?"
The Libertine asks, "Will I?"
The Prudent man asks - "Should I?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitfinger09 View Post

Regarding infighting and open dissension, yes we can be our own worst antagonists. "We have met the enemy and he is us."
When we scare people and when we take people who are on the fence and turn them against us, we hurt our cause and become our own enemies.

Quote:
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 21:18   #27
Rupert

Aren't these the same guys who go around their small Oregon town open carrying ARs and film their encounters with local cops?
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 21:25   #28
splitfinger09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post

When we scare people and when we take people who are on the fence and turn them against us, we hurt our cause and become our own enemies.

Dont get me wrong what they did was stupid and not very well thought out. At the end of the day though they did not break any laws and did what they have every right to do. I support them because I support the second ammendment.

Last edited by splitfinger09; 01-12-2013 at 21:25..
Old 01-12-2013, 21:25   #29
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Its 2013... people are going to call and report people strolling around with rifles. Police will have to waste time making contact and all the while.. real calls are waiting on their attention.

All kinds of things are not illegal but at the same time, they are not prudent. "in your face" activism rarely sits well with people, no matter what side of the fence they are on.

Last edited by FireForged; 01-12-2013 at 21:28..
FireForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 22:03   #30
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

I support personal rights.
I support civil rights.
I support Constitutional rights.
I support legal actions.

Just because I support the above does not mean I support stupid actions.

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 22:15   #31
splitfinger09

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
I support personal rights.
I support civil rights.
I support Constitutional rights.
I support legal actions.

Just because I support the above does not mean I support stupid actions.
Well said. Just remember "Support OC, CC, and noC - the real point is that we support the individual right, the freedom, to make that decision." We cannot waiver on our views. Either support legal gun action or not.
Old 01-12-2013, 22:38   #32
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

I do not support stupid gun action, even if it's "legal".

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:24   #33
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
At the end of the day though they did not break any laws and did what they have every right to do.
And this is precisely what is wrong with many's thinking.

Simply because something is legal does not make it right, prudent, or effective.

it's interesting that so many who disparage the State turn around and form their philosophy and ethics from the state.
They let the state determine what is right or wrong. based solely on what is legal and what is illegal.

The state does not determine my views on ethics or right and wrong. it can only tell me what is legal and what is illegal.

Last edited by Dragoon44; 01-13-2013 at 11:25..
Dragoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:26   #34
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
I do not support stupid gun action, even if it's "legal".
+1, if something is stupid it is stupid whether it is legal or not.

I don't support stupid.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:02   #35
RPVG

Quote:
"... They let the state determine what is right or wrong. based solely on what is legal and what is illegal.

The state does not determine my views on ethics or right and wrong. it can only tell me what is legal and what is illegal..."
The natural result of moral relativism. There's no "right" and "wrong", no "good" and "bad" anymore. Just "legal" and "illegal".

<sarcasm>
We don't need no steenkin' Morality.
</sarcasm>
Old 01-13-2013, 12:07   #36
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
The natural result of moral relativism. There's no "right" and "wrong", no "good" and "bad" anymore. Just "legal" and "illegal".

<sarcasm>
We don't need no steenkin' Morality.
</sarcasm>
+1 as Allan Bloom predicted 30 years ago, the abandonment of Absolute truth in favor of moral relativism and situational ethics was producing generations that would be cynical, self centered, and amoral."
Old 01-13-2013, 12:32   #37
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

I don't think it does anything to promote gun rights education. I think it probably antagonizes people and may push fence sitters off the fence the wrong way.

Look at it like this, if an anti gun activist was walking up and down your block with a megaphone ranting about stuff it would probably irritate you and it certainly wouldn't sway your opinion. If these young men want to educate people about gun rights then they should put on a jacket and tie, print up some literature and hit the streets to make their case.

That they stated in the article they thought people would approach them for conversation while carrying ARs is an indicator that they didn't think this through very well.

The best I can say is good thought, sharing information about gun rights, but really nonsensical execution. There are lots of things that are legal to do that aren't necessarily wise to do.

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:53   #38
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
That they stated in the article they thought people would approach them for conversation while carrying ARs is an indicator that they didn't think this through very well.
And this demonstrates the usual bi polar nature of thought among OC activists and many Gun rights folks. They can believe to distinct and opposite things are equally true.

On one hand they maintain that the world is a far to dangerous place to go unarmed. There are people out there that want to hurt you. They also maintain that OC is an effective deterrent against criminals.

But then they equally believe that other citizens should not be alarmed by unknown individuals openly displaying firearms or even carrying rifle in their hands.

Apparently these people are NOT supposed to believe that there are people out there wanting to hurt them and the sight of an unknown person with a firearm is not supposed to disturb them at all.
Old 01-13-2013, 13:23   #39
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

About as smart as showing up at Dairy Queen with your weenis out. The only thing acting out in this fashion does is make liberals think gun owners are attention seeking re-tards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKLovingIT View Post

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 01-13-2013 at 13:23..
Bill Lumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:11   #40
G26S239
NRA Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKLovingIT View Post

Look at it like this, if an anti gun activist was walking up and down your block with a megaphone ranting about stuff it would probably irritate you and it certainly wouldn't sway your opinion. If these young men want to educate people about gun rights then they should put on a jacket and tie, print up some literature and hit the streets to make their case.
Good point. I have discussed similarities in point of view and differences with Amnesty International signature gatherers late last year while working in San Francisco. In that liberal Mecca the AI volunteers were polite even while we disagreed. I always ended the interaction by wishing them a good day and they said the same. They never converted me but they also never alienated a potential supporter while in my presence.