GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-11-2013, 18:39   #151
norm357

Im not sure about what you should do, but I believe 100% that the answer involves fire.
Old 01-11-2013, 18:44   #152
MinervaDoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock20 10mm View Post
But I ask myself... will it be any better anywhere else I go?
No.
The liberal fascists are everywhere.

I've worked in the liberal mothership of Silicon Valley for 28 years, and I've been assaulted by their views and opinions the whole time. They preach acceptance and tolerance, but they only provide that to the social groups they support.

Anymore, I tend to not give my opinion on anything at work and simply do my job.

Last edited by MinervaDoe; 01-11-2013 at 18:45..
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 18:48   #153
teweekley

Just remember to smile so HR doesn't get involved.

The Okie Corral
Red Hat Certified Engineer

teweekley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 19:53   #154
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

Are you sure you are not a loudmouth blowhard?

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy

Last edited by happyguy; 01-11-2013 at 19:58..
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 19:59   #155
gjk5
Pinche Gringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyguy View Post

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy
it's GNG, he's not allowed in otherwise.
gjk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 21:34   #156
chandne

I say chill out a bit and tone it down IF possible. If not, you may face this over and over in almost any corporate, university, or government setting. Be yourself but tone it down a bit and try to blend. No need to change everything or go overboard. Think of it as infiltrating the enemy.

Seriously though, I would never discuss living off the grid, guns, politics, abortion, religion, et.c, with anyone at work except a close friend who works there. I keep my work persona very professional, don't discuss controversial topics, and try to be friendly enough with everyone without taking people into confidence unless they become close friends. It has served me well. I also try to not let my physical presence dominate others who may be more timid or gay or artistic or whatever. Some people are bothered by that. I am cognizant of that and have "softened" my presence and attitude over the last several years. I try to let my ideas and work speak loudly now. I also use the humor angle a lot. In the workplace, THESE are the real assets.
chandne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 21:52   #157
Nightkast22

Stuff like this is absolutely ridiculous. My father has a program at his company called the 360 where people all around the food chain who work with, for you, above you, etc. review you. My father was reviewed as intimidating by a lot of people and even one man said he felt physically threatened in his presence due to him being yelled at for not doing his job one time. This kind of stuff disgusts me, especially since I've seen my father in a professional setting and he is no where near what was explained. People are so soft these days and love to make problems out of nothing.

Last edited by Nightkast22; 01-11-2013 at 21:52..
Nightkast22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 22:01   #158
frank4570
Feral human

I'm just average size, but I get the same thing. It is actually stressful for me to try to be "nice enough" for other people. It makes me tired.
I work for myself now.
I offer a good service. If they can't handle a normal human male, **** 'em.

Quote:
So Monday I had a meeting with my boss (we have one every week or two to touch base and see where projects are going and what's coming up and so forth) and I get the normal "you're doing a great job!", "I am pleased with the data accuracy..." and so forth. Great! I am doing above and beyond and holding high standards for my job.

Then I get this bomb dropped on me... "There have been some complaints that you are intimidating people by your presence."

What did you just say boss? It appears that I am too masculine for where I work and that because I carry myself with confidence (I am not a small man, nor excessively large, 6'3" @ 215lbs) people are intimidated by me. I am polite and cordial when speaking to people. But apparently because I walk with my head up high, I look people in the eye when I speak to them and I speak with confidence and a deep solid resonating voice (what my woman tells me) I am intimidating and I have to "tone it down".

I had a very difficult time keeping my cool at this point of the conversation. But I made my point clear, I was raised in a Marine family with Marine discipline and pride. I was raised to be proud of who and what I am and to be confident in my abilities in life. I was raised to speak with pride and to be heard clearly and to not be ashamed of my ability to speak clearly. I then served 14 years before being medically separated, in the Navy and further solidified my confidence and pride.

I will not change who I am just because someone wets their pants at my presence. I was clear that this was out of line and that if this came up again I would pursue legal action. My boss pretty much agrees with me, but he has to tell me what's going on. Anyhow the conversation continued and apparently they have wimpification classes... and I have been signed up for a couple. I am not happy about it at all.

Yes, I still have my job. My superiors all know who I am and know I am a good man with solid conviction and I get the job done, on time and correct. But with this new bit of info I will be stepping up my search for a new job. But I ask myself... will it be any better anywhere else I go?

For too long people have said "screw NY, IL, etc" or "that'll never happen here." Yes, it will eventually. If we dont start standing up together now, it will never stop.-ilgunguygt
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 22:58   #159
What No Gravy

This might help you tone it down some at work

http://shine.yahoo.com/photos/ive-se...210500977.html
What No Gravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 23:09   #160
Nightkast22

Quote:
Originally Posted by What No Gravy View Post

Specifically photo 8 out of 16
Nightkast22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 23:43   #161
Tacoma12
The Dude Abides

had an issue similar to this when I switched police departments from a large city with high crime to a small city with generally nonexistent crime. I was told I needed to be friendlier towards the residents, less abrasive when dealing with subjects, etc. I'm not a small guy, I do have an imposing presence, as I've been told before. I had a similar upbringing with a very strict Army vet father who did not take any crap. What they are asking of you is to change who you are. I'd keep interactions at work strictly business. Not much else you can do. Or you could enter a career in police work or the fire service where that type of persona is needed and appreciated.
Florida Glocker #163
G19, G21, G22, G23, G26, G33 & some XD's

Last edited by Tacoma12; 01-11-2013 at 23:48..
Tacoma12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 00:37   #162
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyguy View Post

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy
JuneyBooney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:07   #163
Foxtrotx1

Quote:
I talk about living off grid openly but I keep the subject matter focused on the pros and cons of the actual process. As for politics and guns, I keep it limited to a very small group of folks that have the same views I do and always behind closed doors. I know I am surrounded by liberals so I tend to keep certain things quiet just to avoid silly conflict.

I do however, wear with pride a ball cap that states Desert Storm Veteran. I asked if my attire was the problem but was told no.
Well if you go on about being a prepper....

Eagle Scout.
Foxtrotx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:47   #164
briarpatch

I had the same problem and it was getting out of hand. People hiding and talking, leaving when I would walk up. After much thought and advice from a good co worker I started wearing clothes again and it seemed to solve the problem.
briarpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:49   #165
varget

Times have changed. People are up in arms that there is no "male friendly" easy-bake oven made in blue. They say it is "sexist" that it is only marketed to girls!
The county (Travis) where I live in Texas only approves of men's jeans with the zipper in the back. The "feminizatin" of males makes me sick. I guess I am lucky though. I am 68 yrs. old and retired so I can just go to the range and enjoy myself without having to deal with co-workers and assorted pansies. You younger guys are facing a real dilemma.
varget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:35   #166
pal2511

Send a message via AIM to pal2511
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Call HR and complain that you've been harassed. You're protected under the Veterans status, so get it on record now about your fellow employees discriminating against you. Two can play at that game.
It seems everyone is protected in one way or the other these days.
pal2511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:16   #167
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
Excellent! I didn't even think of that. But I suppose that's because I don't go running to "mommy" every time I think someone is doing me "wrong". I'll take you suggestion and run with it.
Just an fyi:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jmaureen...ourt-says-yes/

hope all turns out well.
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"Well are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:51   #168
SpookyEng

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
I don't run to mommy either, but I was taught by my drill sergeants that in order to defeat your enemies, you have to be ready to better them at their games.
X2, I weep for what my Country is becoming. Hell at my job someone quipped at breakfast that the assembled group owned over 100 firearms (and that was probably on the low side

Last edited by SpookyEng; 01-12-2013 at 07:54..
SpookyEng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:01   #169
wingryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by What No Gravy View Post

What the f..........?!?!? I guess it's been a while since I went to the mall!

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan
wingryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:01   #170
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

You're not necessarily being criticized for masculinity. There are basic social skills required to succeed in the average workplace. When I was first starting out (which was long ago) I was forever plagued by (I thought) the weak, timid, or wastoids complaining that I hurt their feelings/talked mean to them/didn't like them/intimidated them. I was amazed at how many thin skinned people I was forced to deal with. As I got older, I realized that it was my style of discourse, not weakness on the complainants part, that was the problem. That in the modern world, I could be tough and, when called for, intimidating, but still be refined in my posture, discourse, and expressions. I did not believe it when supervisors or others told me. I later figured it out on my own. I simply cannot behave in the same way with the public or with non-sworn folks as I could or can with military or LE when the public isn't around.
Quote:
So Monday I had a meeting with my boss (we have one every week or two to touch base and see where projects are going and what's coming up and so forth) and I get the normal "you're doing a great job!", "I am pleased with the data accuracy..." and so forth. Great! I am doing above and beyond and holding high standards for my job.

Then I get this bomb dropped on me... "There have been some complaints that you are intimidating people by your presence."

What did you just say boss? It appears that I am too masculine for where I work and that because I carry myself with confidence (I am not a small man, nor excessively large, 6'3" @ 215lbs) people are intimidated by me. I am polite and cordial when speaking to people. But apparently because I walk with my head up high, I look people in the eye when I speak to them and I speak with confidence and a deep solid resonating voice (what my woman tells me) I am intimidating and I have to "tone it down".

I had a very difficult time keeping my cool at this point of the conversation. But I made my point clear, I was raised in a Marine family with Marine discipline and pride. I was raised to be proud of who and what I am and to be confident in my abilities in life. I was raised to speak with pride and to be heard clearly and to not be ashamed of my ability to speak clearly. I then served 14 years before being medically separated, in the Navy and further solidified my confidence and pride.

I will not change who I am just because someone wets their pants at my presence. I was clear that this was out of line and that if this came up again I would pursue legal action. My boss pretty much agrees with me, but he has to tell me what's going on. Anyhow the conversation continued and apparently they have wimpification classes... and I have been signed up for a couple. I am not happy about it at all.

Yes, I still have my job. My superiors all know who I am and know I am a good man with solid conviction and I get the job done, on time and correct. But with this new bit of info I will be stepping up my search for a new job. But I ask myself... will it be any better anywhere else I go?
Old 01-12-2013, 08:28   #171
nsl

Why is it that today people worship the masculine black guy, but are scared to death of the masculine white guy?
nsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:50   #172
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsl View Post
Why is it that today people worship the masculine black guy, but are scared to death of the masculine white guy?
You're only scratching the surface. (case in point: there is an episode of House, wherein a black actor (a surgeon) takes a syringe, stabs it into a white female actress (a doctor), and then injects her with what is thought, at that point in the episode, to be a lethal substance without a known cure. When I saw the episode for the first time, I thought the writers were giving the black actor a viable exit so as to let him do movies or something. Yet he came back and remained on the show until it was cancelled. Needless to say, very telling to what the writers were actually up to as it played out that "the angry black man" was allowed to get away with attempted murder due to his frustrations of being part of an "oppressed race.")

Simply put, the globalists will use every avenue, including hollyweird, so as to pit one race against another race, which helps keep the focus off of we Americans' real enemies. Stuff like this will eventually make sheeple more susceptible to the ultimate false synthesis being promoted by the globalists.
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"Well are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales

Last edited by Peace Warrior; 01-12-2013 at 08:58..
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:04   #173
BSA70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lee View Post
I hope you don't take this the wrong way, since I'm trying to help, but once you acquire this level of non-threatening posture toward timid people, you'll look back in hindsight and realize it's kind of like the way Hugh Hefner isn't afraid to wear a pink shirt. It won't make you any less of a confident Marine/man. It will make you more of a man. (not the pink shirt, but the attitude)

Sheep tend to develop great love and respect for those large men who could easily kick almost anyone's ass, yet display a personality that would never want to frighten anyone who isn't asking/needing to be frightened. You can easily do this while at the same time making it obvious to everyone that if push came to shove, you would not hesitate to be as aggressive as the situation required if confronted by someone who really needs to be intimidated for defensive reasons.
I fully understand what you are saying and you have nailed it. I'm a LEO and see all kinds of officers. It's hard to do, you maintain strong respect from the citizens, but on the other hand, be polite, courtesous, and well liked. Not many can do that.

Of course, a lot is with you deal with. I have a supervisor that early in his career, dealt with marines in every situation you can imagine. Polite and nice was out the door. Some of the language he used was atrocious but par for the course where he was stationed.

Last edited by BSA70; 01-12-2013 at 09:05..
BSA70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:08   #174
GasTurbine
Porschey Power!

Well, you do come off as rather arrogant and snobby. You seem to be a hot head too. That thread when you blew up because your own wife asked for some help, left me shaking my head for days. Even your avatar shows it.

Maybe you should see someone about it.
GasTurbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:09   #175
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
I had the same problem and it was getting out of hand. People hiding and talking, leaving when I would walk up. After much thought and advice from a good co worker I started wearing clothes again and it seemed to solve the problem.
That makes sense to me.
JuneyBooney is online now   Reply With Quote