SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-11-2013, 17:34   #1
aliasneo07

Need some help choosing a 590a1

Hello all,

I could use some help choosing a 590a1. I have a few questions.

1. I am trying to decide between the 9 shot and 6 shot. Does anyone have any opinions either way? Right now I have a 6 shot 500. I am wondering if a 9 shot 590a1 is just going to be ridiculously heavy. I will be adding a light to it.

2. Ghost rings. I kind of like the sight picture. Is there really any downside to using ghost rings over beads?

3. Speedfeed stock. How do you guys like yours? I heard that in the past there were some issues with the springs pushing off the rubber buttpad. Also read about issues with shells falling out under recoil.

Thats it guys! Really appreciate the advice! My main problem is deciding between 6 or 9 shot.

Also, I really would like a the tri rail forend that they offer because I'd like to add a light to it. Does anyone know if these can be purchased by themselves, or who makes them for Mossberg? Really want one to complete the package.

Thanks again!
aliasneo07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 19:17   #2
glockdoc21

reply in thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasneo07 View Post
Hello all,

I could use some help choosing a 590a1. I have a few questions.

1. I am trying to decide between the 9 shot and 6 shot. Does anyone have any opinions either way? Right now I have a 6 shot 500. I am wondering if a 9 shot 590a1 is just going to be ridiculously heavy. I will be adding a light to it.

I have a 6 shot. I'd just train for the 6 that you have. You don't need 9 shots and a side saddle on a home defense/personal defense gun. It's not a revolver. A hit with 00 buck or a slug will take a man out of the fight and shotgun ammo is heavy. I've had a 9 shot and they are very muzzle heavy

2. Ghost rings. I kind of like the sight picture. Is there really any downside to using ghost rings over beads?

Ghost rings are awesome. If you want a red dot in the future, just get the bead. the rear sight interferes with the picatinny rail.

3. Speedfeed stock. How do you guys like yours? I heard that in the past there were some issues with the springs pushing off the rubber buttpad. Also read about issues with shells falling out under recoil.

I like mine. I keep a single slug in the right side. THey come with a good recoil pad

Thats it guys! Really appreciate the advice! My main problem is deciding between 6 or 9 shot.

Also, I really would like a the tri rail forend that they offer because I'd like to add a light to it. Does anyone know if these can be purchased by themselves, or who makes them for Mossberg? Really want one to complete the package.

just get a CDM gear mount. It is quality gear. Stay away from the tri rail

Thanks again!
congratulations!
Old 01-11-2013, 19:31   #3
aliasneo07

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockdoc21 View Post
reply in thread
Thanks for the reply. As for the 6 vs 9 shot dillema..I was planning on not putting a side saddle on the 590a1 just because I've heard of reliability issues with them. The one on my 500 has been iffy. I once saw one that attached via velcro, anyone have a link to that?

As for the light...I really wanted to throw one of these on there: http://www.inforce-mil.com/wml-momentary-black.php
Why do you say stay away from tri trail forend?
Old 01-11-2013, 20:18   #4
Jack Black

IMO, it's not really a 6 v. 9 shot debate. If you put a two shot extension on the 18.5" it's only a 1 shot difference, and the 18.5" is lighter and more maneuverable.
Jack Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 20:24   #5
Ferdinandd

I've owned a 590 6-shot, and a few 870's, 1100's and M500's. I've tried mag extensions on the Remingtons. I feel that a shotgun handles better and is quicker on target without the extension. I really like ghost ring sights and find them to be as fast as a bead- you still have a high-viz front sight even if you're in too much of a hurry to look for the ring. Let us know what you wind up selecting.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Ferdinandd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 14:26   #6
.45 Combat

In the future try getting one with a 14" barrel. Now, that's a CQB shotgun. It'll require NFA paperwork. It's something think about.

Also, Knoxx Industries offers recoil reducing stocks. I've got one, on my 870. I'll have to get some range time in.

Last edited by .45 Combat; 01-12-2013 at 14:27.. Reason: grammer
.45 Combat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 14:39   #7
XshooterX

I've been going through the same decision making process.

I wanted an 18.5" with ghost ring sights, but don't like the mossberg sights at all. The XS sights on the blackwater are great but only on the 20".

So, what I've decided is to get the 18.5" w/ bead sight and then get the ghost rings that I want and have options for rail space if I want to put a red dot on later.

Plus I'll get the +1 extension for it.

I've heard only good things about the speed feed stock and will be using it.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
XshooterX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 23:41   #8
33rdglock17
Boosh

1) I'd get the 6 shot, the 9 shot to me defeats the purpose of a small tactical shotgun

2) I have a saiga 12 with ghost rings and don't like it too much. I'm more of a fan of just a bead sight on a pump. Of course it's your personal preference, that's just my .02

3) love the speed feed stock. It has a good quality feel. I have heard about the buttpad popping off but that may have just been one isolated incident. I just don't store the gun with the stock loaded up and don't worry
33rdglock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:07   #9
M&P Guy

The Blackwater 51772 has all the features you mentioned in a 20". It is front heavy with a full magazine, fully loading the stock offsets the balance consideration a bit, but does make the gun a bit heavier overall. One thing to consider is that if you add accessories to the Tri Rail, the horizontal mounts are on the front of the forearm, so anything you attach there will add more weight to the gun ahead of your front hand hold point, as well.
M&P Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 13:31   #10
Vigilant

There's a brand new 590A1 Model 51517 in the Classifieds. I believe that's your answer. It's priced just a bit high, but these models have pretty much dried up right now.
Old 01-13-2013, 21:09   #11
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog

18", six shot.

Get Vang Comp's velcro sidesaddles. They don't interfere with the operation of the gun.

Ghost ring if you plan on using it outdoors. If it's a buckshot/indoors gun only, bead is fine, though upgrading to an XS tritium Big Dot is even better.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 21:35   #12
aliasneo07

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Why are people advocating 6 shot vs 9? Weight? Or what?

Thanks!

MrMurphy thank you that is the side saddle I was looking for. Though I have to ask...the two bolts go through the receiver. Why are they less likely to mess up the function of your gun than a Mesa Tactical or Tacstar?

Thanks

Last edited by aliasneo07; 01-13-2013 at 21:37..
Old 01-13-2013, 22:09   #13
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog

Tac Star= Cheap Junk (Having owned one)

Mesa's pretty decent but it's putting extra weight on those bolts with the overall design.

Vang is a shotgun god. The velcro means the only added weight to the receiver is pretty much the ammo. As long as you don't over-tighten the bolts during assembly, either the Mesa or Vang will work fine.

Six shot vs 9: Weight and barrel length. Having cleared rooms with a 20" M16 and a M249, weight and length both matter. In a shotgun, maneuverability is king. 18" barrel and six shots with reloads, top off as you go. Make sure the stock length is down from the factory unless you're 6'2 with long arms. A 13" LOP is probably better for most.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
Old 01-13-2013, 23:32   #14
aliasneo07

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
Tac Star= Cheap Junk (Having owned one)

Mesa's pretty decent but it's putting extra weight on those bolts with the overall design.

Vang is a shotgun god. The velcro means the only added weight to the receiver is pretty much the ammo. As long as you don't over-tighten the bolts during assembly, either the Mesa or Vang will work fine.

Six shot vs 9: Weight and barrel length. Having cleared rooms with a 20" M16 and a M249, weight and length both matter. In a shotgun, maneuverability is king. 18" barrel and six shots with reloads, top off as you go. Make sure the stock length is down from the factory unless you're 6'2 with long arms. A 13" LOP is probably better for most.
MrMurphy, thanks again for your reply.

One last followup question (for you or anyone

This wouldn't be used for room clearing (I am not LE/Mil and it will not be used as an HD weapon.) The only thing I can see this being used for would be range use, something to keep with me out in the woods while camping, and possibly a tactical shotgun class. All those considered, would you still opt for the 6 shot over the 9?

Thanks again!
Old 01-14-2013, 06:26   #15
chr_edw
Holster Maker

I have the 18.5" but have added a + 2 extension to give me a total of 8 rounds loaded in the gun. I chose the 18.5" because I could not find the 20 anywhere last year, and I'm glad I did. With the heavy barrel on the 590a1 it gets heavy after a while. If you are going to take it out and train with it the extra weight would be noticed quick.

I like my ghost ring sights they are quick and accurate. They would really be appreciated if you wanted to take a longer shot with a slug. I use a 7 shot velcro side saddle from skd tactical that I like real well. Picture below.

Tactical Shotguns
Old 01-14-2013, 19:00   #16
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog

The weight and maneuverability still matter in the woods, and especially camping.

Having experienced the joys of hopping into vehicles in a hurry with machine guns, the shotgun has the same issue.

Most patrol cops given a chance, will usually use a (NFA regulated) 14" shotgun for the maneuverability.

If you manage to burn off six rounds of buckshot or slugs and have not fixed the problem with a shotgun.... either you're missing and need to reload, or you've been charged by a squad of bears in which case, kiss your butt goodbye.

I'll lose a round or two on tap to gain the weight and maneuvering advantage.

At one time I"d have said the 20" as well. Experience taught me otherwise.
Old 01-14-2013, 19:20   #17
Mr Spock
Vulcan

I personally find the 20" 9-shot to be well balanced. I do have long arms, but as I am not a fan of side saddles on a shotgun (they seem to get in the way for me) I prefer to have the extra rounds in the tube as well. If I can't get a job done with 81 pellets or 00 buck, well, the job simply isn't doable.

Ghost ring on this gun is highly recommended.
Mr Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 21:14   #18
WoodenPlank
Who?

I've had a 20"/8+1 590 for about 5 years now, and I still love it. Parkerized finish, bead sight, speedfeed stock, and barrel shroud. I have used both a Tac-Star and now a Mesa side saddle with it, and neither one presented function problems.

Yes, it's heavy, but not insanely so. The weight honestly doesn't bother me when shooting it.

The recoil pad does push away from the stock body a bit in the middle, but nothing serious. The shells in the stock are secure - enough so to put divots in the nose of the lead 1oz slugs I keep in one side.

I keep mine stoked with Federal LE #1 buck, and it prints 1-hole patterns to at least 15 yards, and dinner plates at 25.

All of that said, it's my home use artillery piece. It's not generally a woods gun for me, or anything I plan on humping in the woods for long. If I need something like that, I'll be using my AR-15.
Old 01-14-2013, 21:16   #19
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

https://vangcomp.com/

https://vangcomp.com/Mossberg_590.html
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 22:02   #20
burttrans

I recently bought a 590A1 Blackwater 20 inch heavy barrel, XS ghost sights, 8 in tube 1 in chamber and 4 in speedfeed stock. Love the gun would not do anything different put 200 rounds thur it and it has smoothed up just perfect. Also been pumping it alot when sitting at desk during the day when I need a minute break from work.

Why are you guys so concerned with weight? You are not walking 10 miles phesant hunting with it? The little extra weight balances just fine and makes it soft shooting!

It was shooting low but adjust the XS sight and now right on target.

Also my gun dealer buddy dropped the price to $485 at the gun show about a month ago on this gun so it was a no brainer!

Last edited by burttrans; 01-14-2013 at 22:10..
burttrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 22:53   #21
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog

I've walked five miles with an 18" 870 at low ready or port arms before.

Just because you don't doesn't mean someone won't.

Same reason even my house guns have slings. Not having one can really suck. Weight adds up.
Old 01-14-2013, 23:12   #22
aliasneo07

Much appreciate the feedback everyone. I am going to go to a gunshop tomorrow that has both, feel them, and get one.

Next I'm on to deciding about sling, light, and side saddle (if i do go for one it will be the vang. I am not totally sold on long term durability of the elastic though.)

I might have a stock issue. The two guns are both 3-4 years old and have speedfeed stocks. They've never been fired and have been sitting in a safe, so technically they're new. I have read that the old speedfeed stocks have issue with the recoil pad coming off because of pressure from the springs.
Old 01-15-2013, 00:37   #23
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog

Never been a fan of the Speedfeed ammo-carrier stocks because i've never met someone who could make them really work under pressure. I sure can't.

If you've trained as I have with a sling, keeping it on the gun is fine. If it's primarily a house gun, have one, not necessarily attached. If you go camping, attach it. Easy fix.

The light's not an option. Fighting gun needs a light. Cleared a lot of structures with rifle and light mounted. Done a few without. Survived doing so. Not looking forward to doing so again. Surefire fore-ends aren't cheap but are the best option.

If MagPul releases the MOE fore-end for Mossbergs this year, that would be a cost efficient alternative.

When a shotgun was my do-it-all gun (field and home) I had a sidesaddle with four rounds (all that was available) and an old GI pistol belt with 2 surplus-type Rothco (not really surplus) pouches that held about fifty rounds of 00 and slugs. I usually had one pouch on there and the second in my Holy Crap bag.

In the event i grabbed the shotgun i could sling the ammo belt/bag on as a bandolier if I didn't have time to put it on.

Yes, the shotgun (Nova SP) had no light. It wasn't an option for the gun. I wasn't happy with it, but you do the best with what you have.

For me a tricked out social shotgun would be an 18.5" 870 Police, MOE fore-end, Surefiry Fury and a basic 2 pt sling with a sidesaddle. Tritium XS Big Dot.

Last edited by MrMurphy; 01-15-2013 at 00:40..
Old 01-15-2013, 01:02   #24
aliasneo07

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
Never been a fan of the Speedfeed ammo-carrier stocks because i've never met someone who could make them really work under pressure. I sure can't.

If you've trained as I have with a sling, keeping it on the gun is fine. If it's primarily a house gun, have one, not necessarily attached. If you go camping, attach it. Easy fix.

The light's not an option. Fighting gun needs a light. Cleared a lot of structures with rifle and light mounted. Done a few without. Survived doing so. Not looking forward to doing so again. Surefire fore-ends aren't cheap but are the best option.

If MagPul releases the MOE fore-end for Mossbergs this year, that would be a cost efficient alternative.

When a shotgun was my do-it-all gun (field and home) I had a sidesaddle with four rounds (all that was available) and an old GI pistol belt with 2 surplus-type Rothco (not really surplus) pouches that held about fifty rounds of 00 and slugs. I usually had one pouch on there and the second in my Holy Crap bag.

In the event i grabbed the shotgun i could sling the ammo belt/bag on as a bandolier if I didn't have time to put it on.

Yes, the shotgun (Nova SP) had no light. It wasn't an option for the gun. I wasn't happy with it, but you do the best with what you have.

For me a tricked out social shotgun would be an 18.5" 870 Police, MOE fore-end, Surefiry Fury and a basic 2 pt sling with a sidesaddle. Tritium XS Big Dot.
Yeah, I definitely want a light but theres no way I can afford $400 for a surefire any time soon. To be honest I'm not sure I'd ever want to.

I have a couple surefire handhelds (6p with upgraded Malkoff dropin) that I'd love to put on there. I'm not a huge fan of barrel clamps but might have to go with the Elzetta mount. What I'd really like is to find a tri rail forend like the ones that come with some factory models, and put an inforce WML on there.

Unfortunately I cannot find a factory tri rail forend. That would be my holy grail right now.

As an aside, how has the elastic on your vang side saddle held up?
Old 01-15-2013, 08:59   #25
Victoriagotagun

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasneo07 View Post
Yeah, I definitely want a light but theres no way I can afford $400 for a surefire any time soon. To be honest I'm not sure I'd ever want to.

I have a couple surefire handhelds (6p with upgraded Malkoff dropin) that I'd love to put on there. I'm not a huge fan of barrel clamps but might have to go with the Elzetta mount. What I'd really like is to find a tri rail forend like the ones that come with some factory models, and put an inforce WML on there.

Unfortunately I cannot find a factory tri rail forend. That would be my holy grail right now.

As an aside, how has the elastic on your vang side saddle held up?
I would go with the Ergo forend if you want to go that route but depending on the model and where you get it the Surefire forends are not $400.

http://ergogrips.net/products/shotgu...-standard.html

"Glocks are for criminals" -Nick_45
Victoriagotagun is offline   Reply With Quote