Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-30-2012, 14:22   #61
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Maybe.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 15:26   #62
bdcochran

For EMT

Multiple traps.

1. the kind that an animal steps in and then cannot retract its foot;

2. the loop type that the deer walks into;

3. the spring type wherein the deer causes itself to be hung up.

4. the deadfall type.

You can also do baiting over a salt block or a salt lick. The salt lick is when you put the salt on the ground and the animal disturbs the soil to get at the salt.

Ok ASPCA types - read about the $9 million dollars you were ordered to pay the Fields organization this month (Ringling Bros. Circus). Say, google it just for kicks.

I would put out salt blocks on the stepmom's farm in Mississippi and here just to see what kinds of wildlife existed that people would not normally spot. Not hunting them.

I do not advocate anything illegal. My older brother had a Christmas tree farm in PA and had permission to shoot deer "out of season" and would have them donated to the local orphanage.

Like so many other things that we should know for after shtf, it is really too late at that point to develop tracking, hunting, shooting, trapping skills.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 19:29   #63
Aceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
Again, please explain to me (sensibly, reasonably) the relationship between exactly what impending ban, and the need for a crapton of .22lr?
Still waiting on a response to this...
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 19:36   #64
USMCsilver
Bolt Life©

Send a message via AIM to USMCsilver Send a message via Yahoo to USMCsilver
Quote:
Still waiting on a response to this...
Cheap, functional, multi-purpose.

Ain't much more of a reason than that.

"Kiss my ass, I bought a boat! I'm goin' out to sea..." (Jimmy Buffett covering Lovett)
USMCsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 20:41   #65
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
Cheap, functional, multi-purpose.

Ain't much more of a reason than that.
Amen reverend!

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 20:45   #66
Stevekozak
Returning video

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirgi08 View Post
Steve,with no disrespect,we have at the time 4x the ability ta resupply.We won't run outta much of anything.I do agree hunger is a great motivator.We have taken the steps ta avoid this.

I do agree if hungry I'd shoot food with what is handy.I prefer a .257 Roberts or a 30/30.We have both and the means ta feed them,I'd love ta reload.I'd havta give up prep space ta do so.It's a catch 22.'08.
We are on the same page now. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst!!
Old 12-31-2012, 11:44   #67
sebecman

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
Shoot a deer in the brain with a .22 and it is DRT.

End of topic.

I think some of y'all need to get and kill more animals.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Maybe, maybe not...the end result of a poorly placed shot is certainly not "end of topic".

Too much of a margin of error (even with a head shot) that leads to a wounded and lost animal.

Which is why the 22LR is an illegal cartridge to use for taking deer, atleast in Maine, not sure about the rest of the country.

Not saying it can't be done, of course.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:14   #68
sebecman

No disrespect meant but;

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcochran View Post
"To kill a deer with a .22lr, does it have to be an eye shot or point blank or what??"

Ok. I am going to assume a legal environment in which you can do anything to take down a deer and that it is for survival. So Vegans, vegetarians, game wardens and block Level Inspectors Clouseau take a hike in this discussion.

1. traps work 24/7. Use a trap instead of a firearm. Then what? Are you going to beat it to death with a stick? Stick with a knife? Even trappers carry guns, because WHATEVER you trapped you still have to shoot it to kill it. (unless you are using drowning sets of course) I would LOVE to see video of anyone approaching a mature buck with his hoof in a trap with only a stick and a knife.
2. Deer are diurnal. Diurnal means that they are up and moving a couple of times a day and that they rest in the middle of the day.
3. Understanding that deer are diurnal and that you are not using combat sweeps to roust them from bedding, you need to be able to shoot at dawn and slightly after dusk. Essentially, you should have good eye sight and great optics. Never been on a deer drive? Essentially a combat sweep to roust them from their beds. Very effective. Also many many deer are taken in the middle of the day, the dawn and dusk thing is hardly a rule to follow. Especially during rut. Then the bucks don't really rest at all.
4. Your knowledge of ballistics and animal traits are paramount as you insist on using a firearm.
5. If you shoot a deer, the likelihood is that it will bound a short distance, lie down and rest. This means that the hunter does not let out a warhoop and go chasing. You wait a couple of minutes. Obviously, if the deer is seriously injured, it is not going to rise up.
6. Another animal trait is knowing the habits and paths of animals. It is a bit late to try to take animal tracking classes after shtf. An experienced hunter will know the deer sign and paths. He/she is the person who will get close enough for the proverbial accurate eye shot at dawn. The rest of the people will be flailing away in the brush and taking shots at unknown ranges in near darkness. One could teach a 4th grader to read deer sign in 20 minutes using flash cards. There isn't much to it. The tracks, scat, rubs and scrapes are all pretty distictive, at least in the North. Maybe down south or in the west they have other animals with striking similarities in scat and track?
7. People can speak all they want about survival in the Depression. All of my relatives who lived in that era are now dead. 20% of the military inductees in the US in WW2 were rejected as malnourished.

So, after all of my bs, if you can do an eye shot at 75 yards at dawn, that will work. If you do a lung shot and have patience, that will work. If you are accurate enough to take out a leg, that will work. Not really. I once saw a deer that a fellow hunter had shot off the left hind hoof, from the dew claw down was a stump of bone, he had been that way for 2 days by the time we got him. I have seen deer with broken legs as well. If you can't do it now, decide whether you want to learn or not.

If people were really serious about their equipment, marksmanship, and hunting skills, they would find a local varmint club and go up the learning curve a lot faster than reading a book or subscribing to a gun magazine.
Just a few friendly disagreements based on my experiences. I don't know but maybe the deer out west and down south are somehow different than Northern Whitetails?
Old 12-31-2012, 14:52   #69
boone10
Glockeologist

Quote:
Again, please explain to me (sensibly, reasonably) the relationship between exactly what impending ban, and the need for a crapton of .22lr?
Sensibly, reasonably because panic buying is in full force. Ammo is no longer brass--it's GOLD. It's beyond the point of asking why, but where (can I find some--if I don't have any or enough).

If you had the foresight to horde .223/5.56. 7.62x39, x51, etc OR their respective magazines--well, you are sitting pretty right about now. How about a few crates of ARs? Keep a handful and sell a bunch at insane prices. Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way.

Over on rimfire central, this whole panic thing caught hundreds, if not thousands, of those guys off guard. 20,000 doesn't sound too bad when you can't find a box of 50 to feed your rimfire habit.

This PANIC has "fingers", too. It is reaching into other areas of gear and supplies that make little sense at this point, BUT AGAIN, that doesn't matter. If you need or want something, you better make arrangements to get it now or find yourself without. BTW, I just ordered another case of 5000 rounds of .22 lr this morning. If I don't use it all in my lifetime, maybe my kids will. It just might have trade value in the near future as well.

Combine my answer with the other posts in this thread and maybe you can piece together a good "reason". If not, any number of us may be willing to sell or barter a few .22 rounds if you find yourself lacking in the future.

Last edited by boone10; 12-31-2012 at 14:55..
boone10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:18   #70
MStarmer
In Jail...

Couldn't believe the ammo shelves at Cabela's yesterday. .22lr was nowhere to be found, nor primers, powder etc... Very disappointing day indeed. I hope the people that are in the panic buying also put forth the same effort to contact their legislators.
Old 01-10-2013, 13:49   #71
Bravo 1
CLM Number 143
Serious Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirgi08 View Post
The smallest/least round I'd ever try ta take a deer with is a .22mag.'08.

As one who has had to use a .22LR to eat, I assure you that a head shot will drop a deer in it's tracks.

Your reservations are unfounded.

"Don't toy with me Ernie,I've already dispatched with Mr. Hooper,I've got six armed men stationed outside Big Birds nest,and as for Linda? Well its rather difficult for a deaf woman to hear an assasin approach now isn't it?-Stewy
Bravo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 18:42   #72
wiskeyVI

I actually looked in WM today for .22 ammo.....nothing at all! First time I've actually looked.
wiskeyVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 18:57   #73
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Good friend of mine found a couple pounds or VARGET, and he got some stuff for himself, a couple hundred .40 bullets, .223 brass, and a couple thousand small rifle primers.

Look for the small shops.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
--Gunhaver
Don't let the guys quoted above contact your reps more than you.

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 01-10-2013 at 18:58..
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:49   #74
Toyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by boone10 View Post
...BTW, I just ordered another case of 5000 rounds of .22 lr this morning. ...
Do you mind if I ask where? or at least how much it was? Do you get much of a discount on bulk with .22?
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:15   #75
pugman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman View Post
Do you mind if I ask where? or at least how much it was? Do you get much of a discount on bulk with .22?
Sgammo had some 5,000 round cases of Eley Sport for $259 (firewall at work prevents me from double checking that price..sorry). They had CCI std velocity at $279?

The Eley sport isn't "actual" Eley but made under contract by the same company which makes Aguila.

I checked Gander Mountain and two Walmarts on the way home for S&G's....I found one Walmart had half a dozen boxes of Stingers. That's it.

You can find it. Ammoman recently had 5-600 cases of 7.62 Wolf HPs at $299. Yep, this is an extra $100 over what they were pre-Sandy Hook...but they had 500+ cases. I think they are gone now.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:13   #76
racerford

My Wal*Mart had a sign on the ammo case that said the warehouse was out of 9mm, .40S&W, .223 and .22LR.
racerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:25   #77
pugman

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerford View Post
My Wal*Mart had a sign on the ammo case that said the warehouse was out of 9mm, .40S&W, .223 and .22LR.
Think about the impact of this statement.

Walmart is the highest volume seller of ammunition in the U.S by a long shot.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:29   #78
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
Right now I've got probably 20,000rds of .22lr in mostly federal bulk packs. I used to pick one or two up every time I went to wal-mart for a few years.

They are stored in a moisture controlled environment (40%) so I'm fairly confident they will be ok decades from now.

With all the concern I have for the impending ban, I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to put up a few cases to add to the pile or is ammo not much of a concern at this point?

Where should I look to order/buy from? Wal-mart is all around, and I get huge discounts at Cabelas but I'm not sure if they are in the running for the best deals.

Thanks

-Emt1581
There is no "impending ban". There's a bunch of idiot politicians with a wish list and .22s arent even on it. Stop scaring the sheep.

G29Reload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:36   #79
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

The AHCA wasn't gonna fly either.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:52   #80
MStarmer
In Jail...

I hope people put as much effort into writing their elected officials as they do posting in all of these threads.