Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-09-2013, 20:07   #76
skorper
harborrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I keep hearing about how Obama doesn't have to worry about re-election, but he is one man. All those democrats around him are probably hoping for continued employment. When it comes right down to it, how many of them are really going to jump off a cliff on Obama's behalf? Does anyone really think that the Democratic Party is going to cut itself, to insure Obama's legacy? Eric
I don't know if they are seeing it that way. I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything, I really don't know. But I suspect that they don't view it as jumping off a cliff. With the events in Sandy Hook, I think a lot of Dems believe public opinion has swayed. A lot. Was it really a game changer? All of this hooplah might be nothing. And maybe not.

I've seen the quiet dead; and I've heard the living moan. This world's no place to live in, but it's home.
skorper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 20:15   #77
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bgop View Post
And the how has the make up on Congress changed since then?
Dems got a net gain of 13 seats...IIRC.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 20:15   #78
Eric
Big Giant Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorper View Post
I don't know if they are seeing it that way. I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything, I really don't know. But I suspect that they don't view it as jumping off a cliff. With the events in Sandy Hook, I think a lot of Dems believe public opinion has swayed. A lot. Was it really a game changer? All of this hooplah might be nothing. And maybe not.
Any politician with any sense knows how short America's attention span is. The fact that so many pols and gun grabbers are screaming for action now now now bears witness to that fact. Time marches on.

Those pols know that tomorrow is another day and I imagine most of them have counters in their heads, ticking off the days until the next time they have to work for their seat at the pork barrel. I don't see many of them sticking their necks out too far. Eric
- Roger Hodgson
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 20:17   #79
2bgop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavionic View Post
Dems got a net gain of 13 seats...IIRC.
Since Obamacare passed?

Last edited by 2bgop; 01-09-2013 at 20:18..
2bgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 20:21   #80
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Since Obamacare passed?
I gotcha....you are correct. Obama care passed in March 2010, and the subsequent 2010 election was a loss for the dems.

Old 01-09-2013, 20:30   #81
skorper
harborrat

Quote:
Any politician with any sense knows how short America's attention span is. The fact that so many pols and gun grabbers are screaming for action now now now bears witness to that fact. Time marches on.

Those pols know that tomorrow is another day and I imagine most of them have counters in their heads, ticking off the days until the next time they have to work for their seat at the pork barrel. I don't see many of them sticking their necks out too far. Eric
Ok. I hope this is true. Meanwhile, Obama/Biden, who have already stated that all options are on the table, are having a brainstorming session.

The questions they are asking should be the questions we should be asking. How far can we go with this Executive Order thing?...What are ways that we can do this without making our guys look bad? What about the BATF? What moves do we want Holder to make? Etc...

I've seen the quiet dead; and I've heard the living moan. This world's no place to live in, but it's home.
Old 01-09-2013, 20:35   #82
Eric
Big Giant Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorper View Post
Ok. I hope this is true. Meanwhile, Obama/Biden, who have already stated that all options are on the table, are having a brainstorming session.

The questions they are asking should be the questions we should be asking. How far can we go with this Executive Order thing?...What are ways that we can do this without making our guys look bad? What about the BATF? What moves do we want Holder to make? Etc...

They simply do not have Carte Blanche to do as they please.they may take liberties with the system, but it is a well-built system. There are checks and balances built in. I wish people would stop wailing about the sky falling and use the system to assert their rights. Eric
- Roger Hodgson
Old 01-09-2013, 20:42   #83
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
They simply do not have Carte Blanche to do as they please.they may take liberties with the system, but it is a well-built system. There are checks and balances built in. I wish people would stop wailing about the sky falling and use the system to assert their rights. Eric
What makes you think people are not engaged and working to use the system? Simply because people are expressing concern, it doesn't mean they are not actively engaged as well. I have already posted elsewhere the steps that I've taken and encouraged others to get involved as well.

All that does not mean that this president isn't going to ram his agenda through in some form.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Old 01-09-2013, 20:44   #84
AA_Khost

Didn't obama use a EO to enact reporting for multiple rifle sales in four states?

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2748897/posts

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...80C2G920120113

To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by AA_Khost; 01-09-2013 at 20:46..
AA_Khost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 20:45   #85
skorper
harborrat

Quote:
Agreed.

To get into their thought process and decipher their possible plans of action may be a good start.

The next step obviously would be to figure out how we may use the system to counter these efforts. Asserting our rights is all well and good, but to be prepared for any possible eventualities is a good thing.

Old 01-09-2013, 20:47   #86
Eric
Big Giant Head

Quote:
What makes you think people are not engaged and working to use the system? Simply because people are expressing concern, it doesn't mean they are not actively engaged as well. I have already posted elsewhere the steps that I've taken and encouraged others to get involved as well.

All that does not mean that this president isn't going to ram his agenda through in some form.

Whatever, man. We will see how things turn out. Eric
- Roger Hodgson
Old 01-09-2013, 20:47   #87
meathead19

Quote:
NOTHING is off the table with this regime.

You write/seem like a smart man, don't be fooled.
meathead19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 20:53   #88
Z71bill

I can see Obama going for a double EO.

Tell his new treasury secretary to jack up the debt ceiling to $20 trillion - have the BATF declare a long list of guns & magazines over X rounds as not legal to sell.

It will take a few years to get through the courts - even if they eventually lose they still declare victory because they just blame someone else - NRA, activist courts, GOP.

It some ways an EO would give dems up for reelection some cover -

Last edited by Z71bill; 01-09-2013 at 20:55..
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 20:54   #89
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Whatever, man. We will see how things turn out. Eric
Not sure what you mean by the dismissive "whatever" part. However, we will indeed see how this plays out. I've posted a copy of my letters sent, called reps today with a coworker who did the same, paid for 2 more NRA memberships for family members, etc. So yes, I am engaged in the fight. However, this potus fully intends to get this long desired liberal agenda item to reality.

Old 01-09-2013, 20:56   #90
Eric
Big Giant Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by meathead19 View Post
NOTHING is off the table with this regime.

You write/seem like a smart man, don't be fooled.

I am a smart man and I have my eyes wide open. I also have my ears and my mind open. I am not going to cloud my thoughts with pointless panic, or with baseless conspiracy theories.

I love this country and I believe in it. The US may be experiencing troubled times, but this nation is larger than any one man or one administration. Firearms owners & enthusiasts is probably the single biggest special interest group in the nation. If we cannot come together and protect those rights within the law, we don't deserve them. Eric
- Roger Hodgson
Old 01-09-2013, 20:59   #91
Eric
Big Giant Head

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by the dismissive "whatever" part. However, we will indeed see how this plays out. I've posted a copy of my letters sent, called reps today with a coworker who did the same, paid for 2 more NRA memberships for family members, etc. So yes, I am engaged in the fight. However, this potus fully intends to get this long desired liberal agenda item to reality.

What I meant by the whatever is that I do not intend to indulge in a pointless ideological/political discussion. The current president can plan whatever he likes, but I will say again that this nation is bigger than any one man, or one administration. Eric
- Roger Hodgson
Old 01-09-2013, 21:02   #92
Grabbrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockHavenYellow View Post
Wouldn't it be convenient if a SCOTUS justice was replaced by a new, democratic justice? Will take a long time, but it's a thought/possibility.

And yes, I placed my tin foil hat on my head while typing this.
No tin foil hat necessary. I am praying for the safety of all the justices who signed onto the majority opinions in the Heller and McDonald cases daily. I do consider them to be at very great risk right now.
Grabbrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 21:10   #93
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote:
He isn't in office anymore.
It was sarcasm.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

"This isn't domestic abuse. This is hilarious!" -Peter Griffin
sheriff733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 21:23   #94
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Good grief. If I hear one person say 'Well, it is over', before it has even properly begun, I am going to kick someone's cat. Nothing has been decided. Hell, nothing has really even been proposed yet. Perhaps we can wait to yelp and gnash our teeth until something of substance has actually happened.

We are NOT simply a bunch of children waiting for daddy to punish us for some transgression. Aside from the fact that we have done nothing wrong, we are adult Americans with rights and with a considerable amount of political juice on our side. We also, every one of us, have some muscle of our own to flex. Write letters. Let your political officials know how one of their voters feel and DON'T do it with a form letter. If you were in their place, would you bother to read a form letter? Tell them how you feel, in your own words.

Let's not abandon the ship just yet.
Best post I've ever read on GT
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 21:26   #95
uncledoodoo

With executive-order, Obama banned the import of rifle-barrels in parts kits. No one in congress seemed to notice or care, but it caused a shortage in the AK world, driving down supply and driving up price. That was not nearly as overt as this will be. He could conceivable stop ALL arms imports, turning shipments back at the docks. I think he might be able to get the ATF to import the log books of the FFLs into their database. I'm not sure what he might do with ammo, but again imports would be enough to cripple the gun market for a long while (at least from a recreational shooter's perspective).
uncledoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 22:08   #96
2bgop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff733 View Post
It was sarcasm.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Oh, in that case, that was damn funny.
2bgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 22:25   #97
Grabbrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncledoodoo View Post
With executive-order, Obama banned the import of rifle-barrels in parts kits. No one in congress seemed to notice or care, but it caused a shortage in the AK world, driving down supply and driving up price.

Just a hunch, but if I had to guess I'd say nobody on Congress seemed to notice or care about that because they were either 1) anti-gun anyway, or 2) see it as a good thing for the domestic manufacturers. Same reason why there wasn't a lot of fuss raised (except by the little people) when Clinton issued an executive order having thousands of surplus 1911's destroyed. Colt, Springfield, Ruger, etc., and the NRA want you to buy a new gun made in the USA in their factories, not a low-priced surplus piece or eastern-bloc import, and I don't blame them. I don't agree, but I don't blame them.
Grabbrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:09   #98
JimBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDeeeeeeee View Post
If the administration is already talking EO then it just means that the "conversation on gun violence" isn't going as well as they hoped.
That is what might be concluded from this. If they had the votes, they wouldn't need to parade the issue any further.
Real political power would have been getting a bill passed immediately. There has been a bunch of barking and no biting. The antigun fools don't have power many seem to be brainwashed into believing. The cowardly dictator in the WH and his entourage are trying their best to put on a show.
JimBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:23   #99
noway

i like how the gun owners themselves are making this bigger than what it is , and running around like jack rabbits claiming the end of days. Just comical

Quote:
Originally Posted by .45Super-Man View Post
The 'fiscal crisis' has been engineered and will become the 'national crisis' necessary to push marshall law through. Marshall law is the shortest, quickest way to confiscation for them. There must be a 'national crisis' to suspend 'posse comitatus', first.
Yo do know the federal gov has not lin acted martial law, in like what over 50+ year ago or if iirc, since Pearl Harbor. A shooting in Sandy Hook of 20 kids 6 adults 9 as sad as that could be ) or fiscal crisis , is not cause for martial or marshall law.

We all need to stop feeding towards the panic and fears harboring that we are doing to our own selves.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:33   #100
noway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGyLe64 View Post
From my understanding, the president cannot sign an Executive Order to ban guns. He can't sign an Executive Order to create a law only to enforce existing laws. Some Supreme Court decisions about EOs over the years prevent this all from happening. Apparently Biden doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.
agreed....

And on the poster that posted he signed EOs banning guns or parts or whatever, during his 1st term,

Here's the list of the EOs that has been signed by POTUS since his term up to dec 2012;

http://www.archives.gov/federal-regi...ers/obama.html

You should scan thru them, before spitting out nonsense.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote