Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-09-2013, 13:29   #26
Climb14er

The narcissistic KING has spoken!

Last edited by Climb14er; 01-09-2013 at 14:02..
Climb14er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 13:29   #27
jay29

People should be stockpiling. I should have started long ago.
jay29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 13:30   #28
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
You understand that an executive order has a very limited scope in what it can do, right?

Sent from the USS Sulaco.
So, a President could never use it to create an entire federal enforcement agency, for instance?

http://www.justice.gov/dea/about/history.shtml

Never say never.

Last edited by series1811; 01-09-2013 at 13:31..
series1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 13:33   #29
G36's Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Finally, some sense in this argument.

IGF
Kidding, right? A bunch of us have been saying the exact same thing for weeks.
G36's Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 13:35   #30
Eric
Big Giant Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockHavenYellow View Post
Already did, but our opinions have zero weight in DC.
Do you know what 'weight' is? What political power is? The exercising of political will is power. Exercising that political will is an act of force. Make your voice heard, individually or as a group, and you have political power. Pols listen to that power. Sit on the sidelines and ***** and you might as well not have have an opinion.

The system works. If a group is able to push to assert their political will over yours, then one of two things has happened: You are truly in the minority, or they used the system more effectively than you. I do not believe we are in the minority on this. I do believe though that the opposition is better organized and they use the system more effectively than us. That is our problem and our failing. If we want to win, we need to rectify that problem. Eric
- Roger Hodgson
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 13:37   #31
Eric
Big Giant Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by G36's Rule View Post
Kidding, right? A bunch of us have been saying the exact same thing for weeks.
Well, I said it with more flair. Image is everything. Eric
- Roger Hodgson
Old 01-09-2013, 13:38   #32
LockHavenYellow
Flyin' Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Do you know what 'weight' is? What political power is? The exercising of political will is power. Exercising that political will is an act of force. Make your voice heard, individually or as a group, and you have political power. Pols listen to that power. Sit on the sidelines and ***** and you might as well not have have an opinion.

The system works. If a group is able to push to assert their political will over yours, then one of two things has happened: You are truly in the minority, or they used the system more effectively than you. I do not believe we are in the minority on this. I do believe though that the opposition is better organized and they use the system more effectively than us. That is our problem and our failing. If we want to win, we need to rectify that problem. Eric
Go ahead and write your letters and make your calls. All we get these days are boilerplate responses or political aids trying to press agendas while explaining to me why I should believe what they believe.

I just got an email from "the White House" the other day explaining that the vast majority of Americans want heavy gun control. I'll be happy to forward it to you if needed.

They couldn't care less - it's all about THEM.

NRA Life Member
GOA Member
LockHavenYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 13:41   #33
LockHavenYellow
Flyin' Low

"When Discussing the Second Amendment, Keep the First in Mind Too

By Jay Carney, White House Press Secretary

Thank you for participating in We the People to speak out on an issue that matters to you.

Let’s not let arguments over the Constitution’s Second Amendment violate the spirit of its First. President Obama believes that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual right to bear arms. However, the Constitution not only guarantees an individual right to bear arms, but also enshrines the freedom of speech and the freedom of the press -- fundamental principles that are essential to our democracy. Americans may disagree on matters of public policy and express those disagreements vigorously, but no one should be punished by the government simply because he or she expressed a view on the Second Amendment -- or any other matter of public concern.

We recognize that the tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut, sparked an intense, and at times emotional, national conversation about the steps we can take as a country to reduce gun violence.

In a recent press conference, President Obama also addressed the Second Amendment and the important perspective that law-abiding gun owners bring to the public conversation on this issue:

'Look, like the majority of Americans, I believe that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual right to bear arms. This country has a strong tradition of gun ownership that's been handed down from generation to generation. Obviously across the country there are regional differences. There are differences between how people feel in urban areas and rural areas. And the fact is the vast majority of gun owners in America are responsible -- they buy their guns legally and they use them safely, whether for hunting or sport shooting, collection or protection.

But you know what, I am also betting that the majority -- the vast majority -- of responsible, law-abiding gun owners would be some of the first to say that we should be able to keep an irresponsible, law-breaking few from buying a weapon of war. I'm willing to bet that they don't think that using a gun and using common sense are incompatible ideas -- that an unbalanced man shouldn't be able to get his hands on a military-style assault rifle so easily; that in this age of technology, we should be able to check someone's criminal records before he or she can check out at a gun show; that if we work harder to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous people, there would be fewer atrocities like the one in Newtown -- or any of the lesser-known tragedies that visit small towns and big cities all across America every day.'"

They're attacking this problem from the way wrong angle. Period.

NRA Life Member
GOA Member
Old 01-09-2013, 13:43   #34
LockHavenYellow
Flyin' Low

And for the record, I have zero issue with proving training, taking tests, or being checked against a mental health database. But this won't stop criminals from doing what they do.

But I digress...

NRA Life Member
GOA Member
Old 01-09-2013, 13:44   #35
Bren
NRA Life Member

A quick copy and paste:

Quote:
...the Supreme Court ruled in [I]Youngstown Sheet & Tube Co. v. Sawyer[/I], 343 US 579 (1952) that Executive Order 10340 from President Harry S. Truman placing all steel mills in the country under federal control was invalid because it attempted to make law, rather than clarify or act to further a law put forth by the Congress or the Constitution. Presidents since this decision have generally been careful to cite which specific laws they are acting under when issuing new executive orders.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_order

So, best we can tell, the President's executive order authority does not extend to making new laws - he has to be carrying out a constitutional duty or a congressionally enacted law.

Last edited by Bren; 01-09-2013 at 13:45..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 13:47   #36
LockHavenYellow
Flyin' Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Well, I said it with more flair. Image is everything. Eric
The Okie Corral

NRA Life Member
GOA Member

Last edited by LockHavenYellow; 01-09-2013 at 13:47..
Old 01-09-2013, 13:50   #37
JimIsland

Quote:
My comments have been misunderstood - I'm not admitting defeat. I'm pointing out the fact that the government has jumped the shark and they've clearly decided to tyrannically overstep their power and force us into a whole new realm of fighting for our freedoms.
Well you make comments like "It's over"...whatcha expect
JimIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 13:51   #38
LockHavenYellow
Flyin' Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimIsland View Post
Well you make comments like "It's over"...whatcha expect
'Tis true...

NRA Life Member
GOA Member
Old 01-09-2013, 13:58   #39
Eric
Big Giant Head

Quote:
Go ahead and write your letters and make your calls. All we get these days are boilerplate responses or political aids trying to press agendas while explaining to me why I should believe what they believe.

I just got an email from "the White House" the other day explaining that the vast majority of Americans want heavy gun control. I'll be happy to forward it to you if needed.

They couldn't care less - it's all about THEM.

I've never seen someone who was sure he was going to lose be surprised by the results. Like I said, quit if you like. It sounds like you already have. Keep in mind though that a defeatist attitude is contagious. So is an optimistic one. Eric
- Roger Hodgson
Old 01-09-2013, 14:01   #40
G36's Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
A quick copy and paste:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_order

So, best we can tell, the President's executive order authority does not extend to making new laws - he has to be carrying out a constitutional duty or a congressionally enacted law.
Very informative and useful.

Thanks
G36's Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 14:17   #41
Fear Night
NRA Life Member

Quote:
President Barack Obama is considering executive action to prevent gun violence, Vice President Joe Biden said Wednesday, suggesting that gun laws in the U.S. will change even if Congress doesn't act.

"The president is going to act," Mr. Biden said while surrounded by Attorney General Eric Holder and gun-safety advocates and victims of gun violence. "I want to make clear that we're not going to get caught up in the notion that, unless we can do everything, we're going to do nothing."
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...590914480.html
Fear Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 14:19   #42
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Quote:
And for the record, I have zero issue with proving training, taking tests, or being checked against a mental health database. But this won't stop criminals from doing what they do.

But I digress...
Regrading a "List".

The issue is:
Who makes the list.

What are the requirements to be on the list.

These two questions will determine whether or not you, and all law abiding citizens with guns, are determined to be a danger to ourselves and others.

Just wanting/having a gun is disturbing to many liberals that are afraid of firearms and see them as death incarnate. This alone may qualify you and me for the list.

You will be assured that all your concerns of the gun community will be considered in the baseline describing this list.

If you believe the assurances of the persons wanting the list more than the assurances of "no taxes" and "health care with no down side", You are trusting people like Pelosi who say to pass the bill and then we will see what's in it.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 16:30   #43
spcwes

Has anyone seen the videos made by Amidst The Noise on youtube? Not sure what your thoughts are but I actually like the videos made a great deal and respect the clarity in how he expresses his thoughts. Might be old news but if you have not watched this do so and if you feel it is worth others seeing share it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooa98...ature=youtu.be

Then check this one out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2riO...ature=youtu.be

I think Eric hit the head of the nail with a sledgehammer that fell out of a plane near orbit to be honest. We need to get organized and we need to put good people in front to represent us and not loud mouthed lunatics so we do not continue a perception that gun owners are idiots or crazy or both.
"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American perception that each individual is accountable for his/her actions." -Ronald Reagan-

Last edited by spcwes; 01-09-2013 at 16:30..
spcwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 16:34   #44
spcwes

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
Regrading a "List".

The issue is:
Who makes the list.

What are the requirements to be on the list.

These two questions will determine whether or not you, and all law abiding citizens with guns, are determined to be a danger to ourselves and others.

Just wanting/having a gun is disturbing to many liberals that are afraid of firearms and see them as death incarnate. This alone may qualify you and me for the list.

You will be assured that all your concerns of the gun community will be considered in the baseline describing this list.

If you believe the assurances of the persons wanting the list more than the assurances of "no taxes" and "health care with no down side", You are trusting people like Pelosi who say to pass the bill and then we will see what's in it.
Further what happens when the list is what is used to start systematically disarming more and more people? Who will control it and decide?
"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American perception that each individual is accountable for his/her actions." -Ronald Reagan-
Old 01-09-2013, 16:40   #45
G23Gen4TX

Doing my part by posting this.

The Okie Corral
G23Gen4TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 16:45   #46
bear62

Biden is an idiot. Biden's boss is an idiot. That's it.
bear62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 16:48   #47
spcwes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear62 View Post
Biden is an idiot. Biden's boss is an idiot. That's it.
That is not the part that makes me sick, it is that so many Americans were stupid enough to put them in the seats they hold.../shakes head and punches a kitten....
Old 01-09-2013, 17:10   #48
deputy tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by G23Gen4TX View Post
Doing my part by posting this.

The Okie Corral
^^ The kid is cute, the witch no so much. tom.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST

Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus cẹl The world will come to an end but music and love will endure
deputy tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 17:18   #49
BigDeeeeeeee

If the administration is already talking EO then it just means that the "conversation on gun violence" isn't going as well as they hoped.
Old 01-09-2013, 17:25   #50
Roering
Sorting nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDeeeeeeee View Post
If the administration is already talking EO then it just means that the "conversation on gun violence" isn't going as well as they hoped.
Let's hope so.