SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-08-2013, 20:40   #1
Jade Falcon
49er Loyal

Talk to me about Taurus Pistols/Revolvers

Lately, I've been wondering why Taurus guns get such a bad rap. Mind you, I've never owned one, and the only Taurus I've ever fired was an old PT92. It worked flawlessly.

Anyone got good or bad experiences here, please post them. I've seen a couple of Taurus revolvers that look nice that I like, but I'd rather hear from everyone here first.
Old 01-08-2013, 20:47   #2
countrygun

The wife got intrigued by them and we now have 5 autos and a revolver and they work just fine, that would be''

pt22

92 afs

Millenium .45

24/7 cds pro .45

pt 1911 .45

tracker .357

The only thing worth mentioning is the Millenium doesn't like CCI aluminum cased blazer
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 20:47   #3
ctfireman

Here's my version......I've had great luck with taurus revolvers. They may not be S&W but then again they don't cost S&W money. The autos tend to be hit or miss. I've had them not function at all or function but with terrible triggers. Bottom line is they can be a decent affordable option. This thread may get entertaining.

Rest in peace Okie, your memory will live on forever.
ctfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 20:50   #4
railfancwb

I have Taurus 85 and 94 J-frame size revolvers in .38 and .22 respectively. They have been fine. The .38 was my frequent carry gun until I got a Ruger LCR, also .38.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 01-08-2013, 20:58   #5
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Falcon View Post
Lately, I've been wondering why Taurus guns get such a bad rap. Mind you, I've never owned one, and the only Taurus I've ever fired was an old PT92. It worked flawlessly.

Anyone got good or bad experiences here, please post them. I've seen a couple of Taurus revolvers that look nice that I like, but I'd rather hear from everyone here first.
The PT92 is by far Taurus' best auto and its the only one I like.

The revolvers aren't bad, from my experience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 21:10   #6
Jade Falcon
49er Loyal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
The PT92 is by far Taurus' best auto and its the only one I like.

The revolvers aren't bad, from my experience.
I agree. The one I shot (long destroyed by the State because it was used in a Felony Crime; not by me, obviously) was tank-tough, with a smooth trigger pull. IIRC, the man who owned it told me it used to be a cop's pistol. It had the origional wood grips, along with a matte black finish. I believe it was made in either the mid/late 80's or early '90s.
Old 01-08-2013, 21:37   #7
JaPes
Rimfire 1010101

I've had no problems with my Taurus M66 .357 Mag revolver. I'd have no issues buying traditional DA revolver from Taurus. I had a Taurus Judge that worked, but wasn't great. I won't buy a Judge again.

I've never owned a Taurus semi-auto pistol. The only one I've had trigger time on is a Taurus PT92. It shot POA/POI, no malfunctions. I find the frame mounted safety on the PT92 to be preferable to the slide mounted safety on the Beretta 90-series. The PT92 does not have as smooth an action as the Beretta 90-series.
JaPes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 21:58   #8
VinnieG

The only one I've got is a Ragin bull in 44 mag. It shoots great and has a good trigger. No problems at all.
VinnieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 22:01   #9
jay1975
Ultra Master

I've had a PT138 and a first run 24/7 45 and they were great. I wish I still had them.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 01-08-2013, 23:49   #10
chewybaca67

Send a message via AIM to chewybaca67 Send a message via Yahoo to chewybaca67
Taurus guns I own:
PT-99/92
I've had like 5 of them over the years and they all worked flawlessly. Only reason I went through so many was because the first two I had didn't have the decocker and I then wanted one with a rail, then I need to sell it so I could get something else,then I got a good deal on the one I own now.

Model 94 22rf.
The triggers were a bit better back then. But I did a trigger job on it, slapped in a lighter spring and it is quite smooth now. Not to mention god know how many rounds have been put through it. Current triggers seem overly lawyerfide.

Model 627(?) total titanium 357mag with a 6.5" tube. After another trigger job this thing is a great packin pistol. Seven shots in a frame lighter than my S&W 686+. Got my girlfriend a stainless tracker in 357 mag with a 4" barrel and that thing has been a beast.
Key point in their revolvers is that if one puts a lighter hammer spring in it you'll keep light primer strikes. I took mine part and discovered that the firing pin return spring has one too many coils and if you clip a couple off, problem solved and the lighter hammer spring= joy time.

24/7 in 9mm (with the old ribber grip)
My girlfriend became. Big time Taurus fan so I got her the 24/7 and she digs it. She be a revolver gal and I end up shooting it more than she does but we used to go shooting every weekend for almost a couple of years so it's been tested pretty good. No issues at all. Except find three dot night sights, which was done.
Most problems with their autos I hear of are with 40s&w and 45acp, and 380 (but thats so with almost any 380).
Hope this helps.

Last edited by chewybaca67; 01-08-2013 at 23:51..
chewybaca67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:37   #11
Trey83

I purchased a PT111 pro for my first pistol years ago. I was happy with it until it broke about a year later. I am not a big Taurus basher but I don't hold much faith in their product and don't plan to own any in the future.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:57   #12
arclight610

I have a Taurus 66 .357 that has been great.
arclight610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:05   #13
CajunBass

Send a message via AIM to CajunBass
I've owned three Taurus revolvers over the years. The first one was a Model 82 (I think), a mid sized, fixed sight, four inch barrel, 38 revolver. That one I pretty much shot the snot out of using wadcutter ammo. Other than having the UGLIEST grips I've ever seen, I couldn't find anything to fault with that gun. It even had a pretty decent trigger.

I also owned a seven shot, Model 66 in .357 Magnum, that for fit and finish, I would say was almost in the Smith & Wesson class. That was a pretty gun, and it too had a very nice trigger. At the time I was living in the city and didn't get to shoot it a lot, but I did like that gun. It shot just fine when I did get to. It too had ugly grips, but all rubber grips are ugly. They did feel good.

And at the same time I had a Model 85CH, a small frame five shot 38 with a bobbed hammer. Again, I didn't get to shoot it a lot, but when I did it shot just like I expected it to.

I got rid of them for no particular reason. I buy, sell, and trade guns a lot and those all just went down the road to get something else, not because I had any trouble with them. I wouldn't mind having any of them again.
John 3:16 (NKJV)

Last edited by CajunBass; 01-09-2013 at 05:06..
CajunBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:44   #14
Bruce M

Seems like very few people who have a Taurus revolver do not like it. But it just seems that a few less people that have a S&W revolver don't like it.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:07   #15
J.R. Bob Dobbs
Nerd

I've had two new Taurus revolvers fail and had to be repaired. The horrible customer service is why I'll never have another.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:51   #16
Berto
woo woo

Over the years I have had a number of taurus firearms, including one of my very first pistols and revolvers;

Taurus mod 66 .357mag; never a problem, took a nice spring/trigger job. Wished I had kept it.

Taurus PT58; a Beretta 84-like pistol, .380 with a 12rnd mag. Worked fine, but big and heavy for a .380 pistol.

Taurus PT92C; Another gun I wished I had kept, never an issue.

Taurus 85CH; First snubbie, not rated for +P back then. Very accurate with Nyclads, but loosened after about 1000rnds downrange- though some was +p ammo.

Taurus 85TT (total titanium) had the ported barrel-which actually works, but it seems like a giant fireball in your hand if shooting heavier .38 loads. Loosened over the long term from shooting. It would have beem a simple matter to correct (ball detent replacement) but required sending back to factory. Overall a good revolver.

Taurus PT22; I hear all kinds of bad on these....mine worked fine and was actually pretty accurate for a tiny .22 pistol. I liked the flip-up barrel loading a snake load first shot (for golf).

Taurus 44-10; Later to be called Judge. Had the 6" bbl and 2.5 chambers. I was sold on the novelty of it, and it worked fine as long as high brass shells were used, otherwise short brass would expand at the base, back out and bind up the gun. .45 Colt shot fine, too, glow worm front sight helped. I realized I had no use for the thing and sold it, but it was a good revolver besides being weird.

Model 94 (2"); Bought this gun to take milege off my S&W pre-34 Kit Gun. Glad I did, it's been a great little revolver. The trigger was pretty stiff when new, but 1200rnds or so later, it's decent and smoother. A keeper.

Model 431 (.44sp); It took sorting through a few different ones over the years before I found a nice tight one and barfed the cash. I only have a hundred or so through it, but it shoots very well and is accurate. Trigger still feels like it needs some breaking in like the 94 did.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:08   #17
dave333

The one Taurus I have owned was a PT1911 in 9mm. Always ran flawless, lots of standard features for a 1911. Decided I wasnt all into 1911's and traded it for an XDM.

My take on Taurus is like this, they make a lot of guns in the lower price point. People new to firearms probably shop for them like most things, cheaper is better. If you are new to firearms there are many ways you can make a gun not work, not cleaning it, limp wristing etc, so now you complain to everybody how bad your Taurus is when it may not be the gun at all. Anything mass produced can have problems but I dont know of a manufacturer that has a 100% problem free track record.
dave333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:33   #18
Golddog

Had a Taurus .22 revolver which, after about 100 rounds, stopped igniting the rounds. Sent it to Taurus for repairs, and it came back with the heaviest, grittiest trigger of the hundreds of revolvers I've shot.

My shooting buddies ordered a couple of new Taurus 9mm PT111's; one failed to operate out-of-the-box (action was completely locked up) and the other immediately had numerous FTF's.

Never again.
Golddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:47   #19
Darkangel1846

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Falcon View Post

Well first of all let me begin with that I've heard from others at my gun club that over the last 5-6 years Taurus has improved their handguns a lot. I have never owned a Taurus revolver that I didn't have to send back to the company for problems. The last was a Tracker .45 ACP.....out of time, and was very inaccurate. Took three trips back to the factory to finaly fix the problems. Still was bery inaccurate past 20 yards. As with the previous 4 Taurus revolvers and 1 SA I put it up for sale at a decreased price and said I would never buy another. Haven't to this day. People on the net preach that they are wonderful....and the net never lies. But I'll stay with S&W, or Ruger or a used Colt.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:49   #20
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

I have four Taurus revolvers:

1. M689 - 6-shots .357 Magnum and it has a ventilated rib barrel ala Colt Python but with the frame size equivalence of a SW K-frame.

2. M607 - 7-shooter .357 Magnum on the large .44 Mag frame (probably equivalent to N-frame but I think it's beefier). The next year Taurus came out with the 608 with eight rounds. Dammit!!!

3. M96 - a .22LR revolver that resembles the SW M17.

4. Raging Bull .454 Casull.

The first three are 1980s/1990s vintage. The fit & finishes were pretty close to SW. Close but not quite there, however the prices were significantly cheaper. The wooden grips were atrociously ugly though.

I've handled and shot a few of the more current wheelguns and I'm nonplussed. Some have really decent fit & finish with NICE trigger pulls (Taurus Judge), some have OK finish and decent trigger pull (my Raging Bull), and some were just down right ghastly (M94, Taurus Tracker, etc.).

My advice is to buy a Taurus wheelgun only if you can examine it up close and see what you're getting.

I don't have any experience with Taurus pistols other than looking at some of the Beretta clones back in the days.

Last edited by fnfalman; 01-09-2013 at 09:50..
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
taurus