SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:21   #1476
bamacisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
Mighty impressive that Clemson and Louisville took down 2 of the SEC powers.

I have a feeling that Notre Dame may do the same.

bamacisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:34   #1477
rolltide_pisco
NRA Life Member

Ordered me and my stepbrother National Champions t-shirts last night. Add them to my collection in my closet.

I won't take anything away from Notre Dame they had a great season. They weren't ready for the big stage. I studied the game leading up and couldn't make myself believe it was gonna be close. I knew if we could run the football it would be over.

I'm humble about this. It is surreal to think about how dominant we've been. 2007 seems like a long time ago. The one thing that sucks is that the season is over. I guess we look forward to National Signing Day next month and spring practice. Pretty obvious Bama will be preseason #1. My guess will be

1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Georgia
4. Texas A&M
5. Florida State

ROLL TIDE!
Black Rifle Club #270
rolltide_pisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:22   #1478
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Much like Ohio State, it should be many years before the polls allow Notre Dame to face an SEC team in the title game again.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ning/index.htm

It is true that it's difficult to compete against a conference with abysmal academic requirements (Barrett Jones is much the exception) which over signs and gray-shirts athletes who could not have a chance to graduate.

The fact that SEC teams refuse (Alabama is a modest exception) to schedule any difficult non-conference games is interesting.

ND does not over sign, they don't gray-shirt and they don't even red shirt in the sense that all other NCAA Div 1 schools carry out that practice- a FB player at ND must have attained his undergraduate degree and apply for an extra year while taking graduate studies even if he did not compete as a Frosh.

This isn't sour grapes but merely an acknowledgement of the way things are in NCAA football today. I'm not sure if this will remain the case five years from now. But regardless, I am proud of what ND was able to accomplish this year and am looking forward to their football future which is again ascending. They played poorly against Alabama, the coaches had a poor game plan, and ever if those were not the cases Alabama would have won easily. Next year, and the year after things may be different if ND continues to improve. All of life is a cycle of ups and downs and ND football is trending upward.
czsmithGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 14:04   #1479
Freighttrain
Glock Fanboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by czsmithGT View Post

The fact that SEC teams refuse (Alabama is a modest exception) to schedule any difficult non-conference games is interesting.

That's cause their ain't none! No one can hang with the SEC!
Freighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 14:40   #1480
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

I wonder how many SEC teams will be celebrating "vicarious national championships" today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 14:46   #1481
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:

It is true that it's difficult to compete against a conference with abysmal academic requirements (Barrett Jones is much the exception) which over signs and gray-shirts athletes who could not have a chance to graduate.

ND does not over sign, they don't gray-shirt and they don't even red shirt in the sense that all other NCAA Div 1 schools carry out that practice- a FB player at ND must have attained his undergraduate degree and apply for an extra year while taking graduate studies even if he did not compete as a Frosh.

This isn't sour grapes but merely an acknowledgement of the way things are in NCAA football today. I'm not sure if this will remain the case five years from now. But regardless, I am proud of what ND was able to accomplish this year and am looking forward to their football future which is again ascending. They played poorly against Alabama, the coaches had a poor game plan, and ever if those were not the cases Alabama would have won easily. Next year, and the year after things may be different if ND continues to improve. All of life is a cycle of ups and downs and ND football is trending upward.
Look I was pulling for the Irish but they obviously had no business in that game.
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 15:45   #1482
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick

Quote:

OMG!!

Your program lost....Admit it. Trying to make this comparison is OLD. The big 12 and Big 10 folks have tried to make that claim as a reason for their failure in the big games too. Get over it. It's a straw-man argument.

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. Mullah (aka El Ron)
R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 16:31   #1483
bushhogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushhogg View Post
yrp, Im going to man cave... Going to clean some clean toys, it will be better than this game... BCS REALLY
yep SEC WHY WAS ND EVEN NO.ONE BCS WAY TO GO BAMA>>>>FROM A GA. BULLDOGS FAN
bushhogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 16:49   #1484
Restless28

Quote:
Look I was pulling for the Irish but they obviously had no business in that game.
Ditto. And as far as academics, LSU does pretty damn good in that regard, and they are a kick ass SEC team.

As far as non conference opponents, Alabama played Michigan this season, Auburn played Clemson, LSU played Oregon, etc.

Also, the in conference competition is better than out of conference competition. See PITT vs ND and PITT vs Ole Miss.

Face it, the SEC is back on top again. I'm not a Bammer, but I know where the best football program in America lives.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 16:56   #1485
GlockRik

Academic Ratings

notre dame at #5, Bama is 2 spots below at #7. 2 SEC teams in the top 10 and 6 in the top 20.

Last edited by GlockRik; 01-08-2013 at 16:58..
GlockRik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 18:02   #1486
relayman

I'll bet Lou Holtz is on suicide watch .
relayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 18:09   #1487
RedTop

Quote:
I always support my Southern brethren, even if it pains me to do so.
RedTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 18:25   #1488
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockRik View Post
Academic Ratings

notre dame at #5, Bama is 2 spots below at #7. 2 SEC teams in the top 10 and 6 in the top 20.
They have an odd way of determining success.

If a school does horribly at graduating all male students but somewhat less horribly in graduating football players, they rank highly. So Boise State (which graduates 26% of all male students but 60% of their football players) and Northern Illinois (51% and 66%) appear to be better than ND (96% and 83%). Kind of a joke.

The way they determine graduation rates for athletes is also different from the NCAA Graduation Success Rate. Their calculations assume any athlete who leaves school to transfer or turn pro before he gets a degree counts against % graduation whereas the NCAA figures don't count this against a school unless the athlete leaves in bad academic standing.
Old 01-08-2013, 18:41   #1489
jdavionic
NRA Member

There's losing with dignity and then there's....

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 18:54   #1490
rgregoryb
Sapere aude

Quote:

who the hell would that be?

"demography is destiny"
rgregoryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 21:03   #1491
F14Scott
CLM Number 283
Luggage

Quote:
They have an odd way of determining success.

If a school does horribly at graduating all male students but somewhat less horribly in graduating football players, they rank highly. So Boise State (which graduates 26% of all male students but 60% of their football players) and Northern Illinois (51% and 66%) appear to be better than ND (96% and 83%). Kind of a joke.

The way they determine graduation rates for athletes is also different from the NCAA Graduation Success Rate. Their calculations assume any athlete who leaves school to transfer or turn pro before he gets a degree counts against % graduation whereas the NCAA figures don't count this against a school unless the athlete leaves in bad academic standing.
It's funny. I was watching the game closely, and even paused and rewound a bunch of times, but I didn't see any of the players cracking open their textbooks in Miami.

Oh, wait. That's right. It was a football game and the Irish lost.

Post hoc discussions about various other positive aspects of the schools and/or their programs are non sequiturs. BTW, Bama's got better bar-b-que and prettier girls.
Old 01-08-2013, 21:12   #1492
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron007 View Post
Your program lost....Admit it.
Well here is what I wrote in the post you quoted.

"They played poorly against Alabama, the coaches had a poor game plan, and ever if those were not the cases Alabama would have won easily."

So what do you want me to do, slit my wrists and kiss your *** in the middle of main street?
Old 01-08-2013, 21:15   #1493
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by F14Scott View Post

Post hoc discussions about various other positive aspects of the schools and/or their programs are non sequiturs. BTW, Bama's got better bar-b-que and prettier girls.
OK Mr. Moderator, next time I'll get clearance from you before I make a response to someone's post in a GT thread since you seem to take such offense LOL.
Old 01-10-2013, 15:54   #1494
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick

Quote:
Well here is what I wrote in the post you quoted.

"They played poorly against Alabama, the coaches had a poor game plan, and ever if those were not the cases Alabama would have won easily."

So what do you want me to do, slit my wrists and kiss your *** in the middle of main street?
uhhhhmmmm......???? Never thought of that, but.........now that you mention it.......

You attempted to salvage any dignity from the beating ND received by trying to compare academics, is hilarious!!!

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. Mullah (aka El Ron)
R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 17:25   #1495
GlockRik

Alabama's graduation rate is approx. 77%, very respectable in college football, but certainly not a match to ND in the high 90's.

Alabama would no doubt be the underdog in a spelling bee, but football ain't a spelling bee.

Before the game it was all about ND front seven, red zone defense, impossible to run on, QB as good as Johnny Football. After the game it's suddenly all about academics, gray shirts and cheating.

ND fired their last 3 coaches, not because of graduation rates, but because they didn't win enough games. Same as everyone else does.
Old 01-10-2013, 18:23   #1496
bamarammin87
h8tr

Told y'all the SEC would again.
bamarammin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 18:55   #1497
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

A successful football program funds all sorts of needs and luxuries at a university.
Old 01-10-2013, 18:56   #1498
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockRik View Post
Alabama's graduation rate is approx. 77%, very respectable in college football, but certainly not a match to ND in the high 90's.

Alabama would no doubt be the underdog in a spelling bee, but football ain't a spelling bee.

Before the game it was all about ND front seven, red zone defense, impossible to run on, QB as good as Johnny Football. After the game it's suddenly all about academics, gray shirts and cheating.

ND fired their last 3 coaches, not because of graduation rates, but because they didn't win enough games. Same as everyone else does.
Excellent points
Old 01-10-2013, 19:47   #1499
czsmithGT

Quote:
A successful football program funds all sorts of needs and luxuries at a university.
University of Texas Football Program
Total Revenue: $93,942,815
Total Profit: $68,830,484
Old 01-10-2013, 19:53   #1500
Hines57
Simple Member

I keep forgetting, how many undefeated teams were there again?
Hines57 is offline   Reply With Quote