Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-26-2012, 15:48   #1
LawrenceArchery

Rem 870 Ejection problems?

Hey guys, my brother just picked up an 870, Express Magnum I think it was, at Gander Mountain the other day. We went out to shoot some skeet On Christmas Eve and his gun would not eject the shells. His gun will eject fine if you load and unload it but if you shoot the shell then it hangs up when you try to pump it. You had to slightly slam the stock down on the ground to get it to eject. The shells were some 2 3/4 Winchester bird or skeet shot. My shotgun ran the shells fine. Ya'll have any ideas on this. One other note of aggravation, Gander is making him pay $30 bucks to ship the brand new gun back to get it fixed. I personally think that kind of sucks. The gun should function when you buy it and if it doesn't they should pick up the repair cost. I think Gander offered him some kind of protection plan that he chose not to purchase but if it doesn't work right out of the box I think they should pick up the cost. Anyway I'm sure he'll get it fixed. Don't know if this is a common problem but I would think it's not. I've had pretty good luck out of my Remingtons.
LawrenceArchery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 16:04   #2
cj5mrt

Polish the chamber.

I can explain it to you, but I can not understand it for you.
cj5mrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 18:31   #3
LawrenceArchery

O.k. We'll take a look at it when we get it back. I guess it would only help either way.
Old 12-27-2012, 16:22   #4
cj5mrt

I was in a hurry when I typed that. Some of the Express models have been known to have rough chambers and polishing it has helped. Hope it helps y'all.

I can explain it to you, but I can not understand it for you.
cj5mrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 16:41   #5
sharpshooter

Google it. Common problem, easy fix. Also Win bulk 12g is generally considered crap.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 16:53   #6
method

Should have gotten online before shipping the gun back. Maybe something as simple as the gun not liking the ammo you tried.

First thing you do to diagnose a gun malfunction is try different ammo.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 17:57   #7
LawrenceArchery

Thanks for the help. All the other guns were running the ammo fine. I know the shells were cheap that's why they bought them to just mess around and shoot skeet with. I personally wouldn't feel very good about a new gun that is real picky. It's not like a semi auto that needs good high brass shells. I assumed an 870 would run what ever. Anyway we'll definitely take a look at polishing the chamber. Thanks for the tips.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:11   #8
frankr

Not all semi auto’s need good high brass shells. I have a Benelli M2 Tactical with 500 shells through it. It has been 100% malfunction free even with 400 of those shells being the chip low brass Winchester Universal loads I buy at Wal-Mart in their 100 shell value pack. Polish the chamber, wooden dowel, steel wool and power drill. Good luck with your 870.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Benelli M2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	229977
Old 12-30-2012, 23:20   #9
bigdough666

I have the same prob with my 870. I polished the chamber and it got a little better but its still not reliable. I need to go back in and do some more polishing.
Old 12-30-2012, 23:24   #10
Tango 1Zero

Had the same problem. The lock on the top of the bolt had burs on mine. Its where the square lock bolts up into the square hole on the barrel. Took it apart and filed it and cleaned it up. No more problems after that.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:59   #11
LawrenceArchery

Thanks for the advice. We'll look these parts over and file and polish everything we get the gun back. I didn't won't to work on the gun before since I didn't know what the problem was. I was afraid if we messed with it but were not able to fix it they might acuse us of screwing it up.
Old 01-06-2013, 23:20   #12
hosspuller

Follow Frankr 's advice. Polished chamber and followed aip 's "breaking in the 870"

http://www.aiptactical.com/Breaking_In_the_870.html

Worked for me ...