Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:55   #201
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
Doesn't matter where they are from it is where they vote that counts.

20 years is long enough for a generation of voters born of CA immigrants in CO to turn your state into CA.

Don't count on your tax rate staying where it is.
Do remind me how Californians the are trying to ruin our state.

Very hard to raise taxes here based upon CO laws.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:03   #202
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
These are just examples of different government contracts and projects where it's easier for some to be cancelled without repercussions than others.

Yes, Gov't have a right to cancel/defund. Fine. Let them.
This shows you are just selfish.

You think that the people losing their jobs because of the govt contracts being cancelled think the contracts are "cancelled without repercussions." You shouldn't be a cop; you seem to be less than truthful. Why do I say this? There are the same type of repercussion on people when any contract is cancelled you just dont care because there are no repercussions FOR YOU if they are cancelled. That is all you care about Paul. Why Paul? Because you sure dont mind taking from Peter.
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:16   #203
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsolo View Post
pensions are a Ponzi scheme

There are not sustainable, so the people that get in early enough get paid, everybody else is just a payer.
Not true. A true Defined Benefit Pension plan can be a sound way to design retirement benefits and has been used for many many decades by companies to pay retirement benefits to employees. Most are economically sound.

PUBLIC Pensions (ie Government Pensions promised to Government Employees--teachers, firemen, police, Postal Workers etc) are not subject to the funding rules surrounding privately sponsored defined benefit plans. The polticians simply write a new law promising more benefits to get more public sector workers to vote for them but they have no intention of ever funding those promises. They also deliberately underfund those programs as in the CALPERS example above by making unrealistic returns assumptions. This allows them to spend more tax dollars now than they would otherwise be required to set aside to fund all those pensions. FWIW many Unions also have successfully lobbied for different funding rules for Union Pensions and guess what--many Union sponsored pension plans are going broke as well.

The reason Pension Plans and Social Security is going broke is because people are living too long. 30 years ago the average life expectancy for a man was age 68 and 73 for a woman. So it was no big deal to fund a pension that would last no more than 5-10 years. But today, people are living 20 and 30 years into retirement and that makes funding a sound pension for these folks VERY expensive. Which is why only 15% of the Fortune 500 companies still offer Defined Benefit Pension plans when 20 years ago 85% of those companies offered pensions.

The real problem is if you add up all the unfunded liabilities for this nation--between state, local and federal governments--including Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. Federal pensions, State Pensions, Military Pensions etc etc...we have over $160 TRILLION in unfunded liabilities...$80 Trillion is SS and Medicare/Medicaid alone This was published in the Wall Street Journal about a month ago.

Quite literally, there is not that much wealth on the entire planet. We couldn't tax everyone on the face of the earth 100% of all their income and assets and pay for it. Historically what has happened when governments get into this kind of pickle? They default on their debt and don't pay their obligations. Think that's BS? Who in Washington is seriously making proposals for paying off our $16 Trillion National Debt?

NOBODY... Not a single politician

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”

Last edited by Big Bird; 01-06-2013 at 08:20..
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:21   #204
Restless28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
Not true. A true Defined Benefit Pension plan can be a sound way to design retirement benefits and has been used for many many decades by companies to pay retirement benefits to employees. Most are economically sound.

PUBLIC Pensions (ie Government Pensions promised to Government Employees--teachers, firemen, police, Postal Workers etc) are not subject to the funding rules surrounding privately sponsored defined benefit plans. The polticians simply write a new law promising more benefits to get more public sector workers to vote for them but they have no intention of ever funding those promises. They also deliberately underfund those programs as in the CALPERS example above by making unrealistic returns assumptions. This allows them to spend more tax dollars now than they would otherwise be required to set aside to fund all those pensions. FWIW many Unions also have successfully lobbied for different funding rules for Union Pensions and guess what--many Union sponsored pension plans are going broke as well.

The reason Pension Plans and Social Security is going broke is because people are living too long. 30 years ago the average life expectancy for a man was age 68 and 73 for a woman. So it was no big deal for fund a pension that would no last more than 10 years, But today, people are living 20 and 30 years into retirement and that makes funding a sound pension for these folks VERY expensive. WHich is why only 15% of the Fortune 500 companies still offer Defined Benefit Pension plans when 20 years ago 85% of those companies offered pensions.

The real problem is if you add up all the unfunded liabilities for this nations between state, local and federal governments--including Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. Federal pensions, State Pensions, Military Pensions etc etc...we have over $160 TRILLION IN unfunded liabilities...$80 Trillion is SS and Medicare/Medicaid alone..

There quite literally is not that much wealth on the entire planet. We couldn't tax everyone 100% of all income and assets and pay for it. Historically what has happened when governments get into this kind of pickle? They default on their debt and don't pay their obligations. Think that's BS? Who in Washington is seriously making proposals for paying off our $16 Trillion National Debt?

NOBODY... Not a single politician
Great post.

As far as the debt and threat of default, I believe it's a part of a intentional push towards world government. Globalization is coming.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:25   #205
engineer151515

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
Great post.

As far as the debt and threat of default, I believe it's a part of a intentional push towards world government. Globalization is coming.
+1 on both. Great initial post. Globalization of currency. Will add devaluation of everybody's savings. The exchange will not be 1:1. You dollar, your savings, you pension, your 401K will be instantly worth 1/10 of current value.

I would expect nothing less from a President and political party that made a mantra out of how unfair America has been to the world in the past.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:37   #206
Restless28

I will also add, much to the chagrin of many, that we have a 1 party political system with 2 divisions. There are exceptions, but, for the most part, there are very little differences between the 2.

These politicians are elected before we vote for them. The invisible hand really had the fix in with Romney and Obama. They couldn't lose.

Why do you think that Sarah Palin was destroyed by the media and most politicians?
She was a populist. She was a threat to the puppetmasters of the world. In their eyes, a populist would be the barrier to the assimilation of the U.S. into the world government.

The New World Order is on the horizon. The signs are everywhere, if you choose to see them.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:43   #207
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
This shows you are just selfish.

You think that the people losing their jobs because of the govt contracts being cancelled think the contracts are "cancelled without repercussions." You shouldn't be a cop; you seem to be less than truthful. Why do I say this? There are the same type of repercussion on people when any contract is cancelled you just dont care because there are no repercussions FOR YOU if they are cancelled. That is all you care about Paul. Why Paul? Because you sure dont mind taking from Peter.
Maybe you should read my post in the full context of what it was responding to.

So do you, or do you not, agree that new administrations can cut funding for existing projects/contracts/budgets?

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.

Last edited by Patchman; 01-06-2013 at 09:13..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:53   #208
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer151515 View Post
You'll get everything they promise. Just not in the form you expected. You'll be paid in highly devalued US dollars (or, worse yet, State issued IOU's) and be told to stand in the Obamacare line for your healthcare.

The State will declare the "promise" was upheld.
All I'm looking for is what I was promised 16 years ago.

For the past several years we've deferred from visiting Europe because the Euro was so expensive. Do I wish I could demand my job pay me in Euros or Chinese RMBs instead of dollars? Absolutely.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:04   #209
devildog2067

Quote:
No, it's not.

Europe has a single currency, and even they can't put together a supra-national government. When the cracks started to appear in the single currency people were talking about bailing out, not combining governments. We're a long way from it.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:07   #210
devildog2067

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer151515 View Post
Great initial post. Globalization of currency.
Not gonna happen.

Quote:
Will add devaluation of everybody's savings.
Every currency on the face of the planet already faces inflation; you don't need a single currency to devalue everyone's savings.

Quote:
The exchange will not be 1:1. You dollar, your savings, you pension, your 401K will be instantly worth 1/10 of current value.
Again, not going to happen. That's not how currency devaluation works. In countries where this does/has happened (I was in Romania when they launched the new lei) prices are also adjusted by the same factor.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:10   #211
devildog2067

Quote:
I will also add, much to the chagrin of many, that we have a 1 party political system with 2 divisions. There are exceptions, but, for the most part, there are very little differences between the 2.
This is very true. Both parties in the US are quite centrist, that's why they seek out wedge issues to differentiate themselves.
Quote:
These politicians are elected before we vote for them. The invisible hand really had the fix in with Romney and Obama.
Nope. The only "fix" was in the fact that the Republican party ran such terrible candidates in the primary.

Quote:
Why do you think that Sarah Palin was destroyed by the media and most politicians?
Because she had little executive experience, isn't all that intelligent or articulate, and is shrill and annoying.

Quote:
She was a populist. She was a threat to the puppetmasters of the world. In their eyes, a populist would be the barrier to the assimilation of the U.S. into the world government.

The New World Order is on the horizon. The signs are everywhere, if you choose to see them.

If Sarah Palin was our last hope, we might as well give up.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:16   #212
devildog2067

Quote:
For the past several years we've deferred from visiting Europe because the Euro was so expensive.
"The Euro" isn't expensive. That's now how currency conversions work. Yes, 1 euro is worth a bit more than 1 dollar, but that's irrelevant. 1 dollar is worth about 90 yen. The number itself doesn't matter. Japan is one of the most expensive countries in the world.

It's the prices that matter, and there are cheap and expensive places you can go that both use Euros. Visit Paris and you'll be paying a lot. Visit Slovenia and you'll be paying a lot fewer of the same Euros for everything.

Quote:
Do I wish I could demand my job pay me in Euros or Chinese RMBs instead of dollars? Absolutely.
Why would you possibly want that? The RMB was pegged against the USD for most of its history, and only recently has the Chinese government been cautiously allowing it to float. The Euro has fluctuated wildly with the economic crisis of the last few years.

Besides, if you live in the US and get paid in Euros, you have to convert them before you can buy anything. That's kind of the reason why currency conversion exists, and why so many trade flows are denominated in dollars--because the US still makes a lot of what the world wants to buy.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:43   #213
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBT View Post
"I'm guessing you participate in a public pension too since you jumped back in to wave the stupid flag."

The stupid flag? I used to think you had at least a little class.
Yeah, the stupid flag. That post was full of it.

Last edited by certifiedfunds; 01-06-2013 at 09:46..
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:53   #214
DanaT
Pharaoh

[QUOTE=Patchman;19827159]Maybe you should read my post in the full context of what it was responding to.

So do you, or do you not, agree that new administrations can cut funding for existing projects/contracts/budgets?[/QUOTE

I agrees they can cut projects/contracts/budgets right along with public pensions. These are noting but contracts. They are not a right. Sometimes crap happens. You just think YOU should be immune and everyone else shouldnt be immune and pony up to pay more so that YOUR portion isnt cut which at any time can be cut.
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:58   #215
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
All I'm looking for is what I was promised 16 years ago.

For the past several years we've deferred from visiting Europe because the Euro was so expensive. Do I wish I could demand my job pay me in Euros or Chinese RMBs instead of dollars? Absolutely.
Lets make this a little more your speed.

I PROMISE my child to pay them an allowance. I lose my job and have no income. Do you think my promise get amended.

And by the way, there is no"promise". You seem to think that. Show me where you have this promise in writing.

prom·ise
[prom-is], verb, prom·ised, prom·is·ing.
noun
1.a declaration that something will or will not be done, given, etc., by one: unkept political promises.
2.an express assurance on which expectation is to be based:

What you probably have is a civil contract, which are broken all the time, which probably has many clauses in it as to how the pension can be terminated.

But make me out to be a "moron." Show us your contract that shows you will get paid a certain amount and there are no stipulations or termination clauses in it. In the may contracts I have negotiated, I have never seen one without a termination clause.
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:58   #216
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
Why would you possibly want that? The RMB was pegged against the USD for most of its history, and only recently has the Chinese government been cautiously allowing it to float. The Euro has fluctuated wildly with the economic crisis of the last few years.

Besides, if you live in the US and get paid in Euros, you have to convert them before you can buy anything. That's kind of the reason why currency conversion exists, and why so many trade flows are denominated in dollars--because the US still makes a lot of what the world wants to buy.
Fortunately, we don't live off my measly paycheck. So being paid in Euros or RMBs (at a pre-determined rate, of course) would have given us some nice flexibility.

As for RMBs, I actually have several thousand RMBs at home (long story with my child) when the conversion rate was about 8 RMB to the USD. Now I see it's a little above 6 RMBs to the USD. Basically, that little "mistake" turned into a 25-percent return. I don't see RMBs getting weaker.

Last edited by Patchman; 01-06-2013 at 10:33..
Old 01-06-2013, 10:01   #217
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Awe shucks. Why aren't you paid in Euros (or Swiss Francs)? Do you lack the ability to compete in a global market and demand being paid in the highest currency?

I have been paid in foreign currency for the last 5 years. Why cant you? Lack of ability? Laziness? There must be a reason why you can't.
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:01   #218
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Fortunately, we don't live off my measly paycheck. So being paid in Euros or RMBs (at a pre-determined rate, of course) would have given us some nice flexibility.
Again, why arent you paid in Euros? If you are worth it, it should be no problem.
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:14   #219
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Lets make this a little more your speed.

I PROMISE my child to pay them an allowance. I lose my job and have no income. Do you think my promise get amended.

And by the way, there is no"promise". You seem to think that. Show me where you have this promise in writing.

prom·ise
[prom-is], verb, prom·ised, prom·is·ing.
noun
1.a declaration that something will or will not be done, given, etc., by one: unkept political promises.
2.an express assurance on which expectation is to be based:

What you probably have is a civil contract, which are broken all the time, which probably has many clauses in it as to how the pension can be terminated.

But make me out to be a "moron." Show us your contract that shows you will get paid a certain amount and there are no stipulations or termination clauses in it. In the may contracts I have negotiated, I have never seen one without a termination clause.

Silly you. What you promised your kids, and then refuse them, that your issue.

As for my pension, stay tuned. When I retire, I'll let you know whether I'm getting what was promised me, or not.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:25   #220
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Awe shucks. Why aren't you paid in Euros (or Swiss Francs)? Do you lack the ability to compete in a global market and demand being paid in the highest currency?

I have been paid in foreign currency for the last 5 years. Why cant you? Lack of ability? Laziness? There must be a reason why you can't.
Quote:
Again, why arent you paid in Euros? If you are worth it, it should be no problem.
Wow, DanaT. Your true self is showing.

And not only are you in high demand that you can be paid in Euros, you're a humanitarian also, isn't that right?

I mean, you did design that life saving medical devise, right? And you put it out in the public domain, so that all sick people, rich and poor, can benefit from your invention. Correct?

Sick people, both rich and POOR can benefit, right? Not just the RICH sick people, right?

OK, maybe you're not a humanitarian. But at least you're $$$ millions$$$ rich. And can demand to be paid in Euros and/or Swiss Franks. Congratulations. And enjoy.

And keep those promises to your kids. That's advise from me to you... free.

Last edited by Patchman; 01-06-2013 at 10:39..
Old 01-06-2013, 11:13   #221
devildog2067

Quote:
As for RMBs, I actually have several thousand RMBs at home (long story with my child) when the conversion rate was about 8 RMB to the USD. Now I see it's a little above 6 RMBs to the USD. Basically, that little "mistake" turned into a 25-percent return.
No, it hasn't. You haven't gotten a "return" yet.

You held a small amount of a foreign currency (in paper notes, I assume) and the exchange rate changed. But if you went back to China to spend it, the same amount of paper currency would buy roughly the same amount of stuff.

You haven't earned a "return" until you convert your RMB holdings back into USD. If for whatever reason you can't convert your RMB to USD, you've earned a -100% return. You can't count something as earning you a return unless you can convert it into something you can spend, and you can't spend RMB here in the US.

I used to get paid in USD, CHF and Euros all at the same time. The exchange rates between the three fluctated, but I didn't care. You know why? Because I used my Euro paycheck to buy Euro-denominated stuff, my Swiss Francs paycheck to buy CHF-denominated stuff, and my USD paycheck to buy USD-denominated stuff. When the Euro increases 10% against the USD... my US mortgage payment doesn't change. I still get paid the same number of US dollars, and I write a check to the mortgage company for the same number of US dollars. If I converted my Euro paycheck into USD to get "more" dollars... then how would I pay my bills that are in Euros, like my French car insurance payment?

Look, if you want to be a currency investor go for it. There's no reason why you'd need to be paid in RMB in order to do so. If you think that Euros or RMB are going to strengthen, go buy some--you don't need your employer to convert your paycheck for you.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:16   #222
devildog2067

Quote:
I mean, you did design that life saving medical devise, right? And you put it out in the public domain, so that all sick people, rich and poor, can benefit from your invention. Correct?

Sick people, both rich and POOR can benefit, right? Not just the RICH sick people, right?
Even if the IP was in the public domain, how do you expect poor people to be able to afford to build medical devices?
Old 01-06-2013, 11:50   #223
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
Even if the IP was in the public domain, how do you expect poor people to be able to afford to build medical devices?
As to your previous post, you're right. I have no reason to visit China, so the cash RMBs will at some point be converted to USDs. As for getting paid in Euros or RMBs, it would have to be on a pre-set rate. Yes, I can get my paycheck, run to the bank, and ask them to buy RMBs or Euros at whatever the rate of that day.

If the life saving medical devise is in the public domain, any and all medical devise companies can manufacturer it, and put it out on the market (FDA approval, of course, etc...). Kind of like, but better than, a prescription for a... generic medication.

Or did I miss something about costs for a medical device that's patented, vs. same device in the public domain?

Old 01-06-2013, 12:03   #224
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsolo View Post
The number of applicants per job opening suggests that the compensation is above average for the requirements for most government jobs.
The official unemployment numbers for Las Vegas are hovering around 10%. The "real" unemployment of people who are unemployed or underemployed is more around 20-25%. I don't know about you, but when I want to make more money or don't like my job (or don't have one), I apply for everything and anything.

I also know a few people who work in HR at the casinos. They're getting about 50-100 applications per opening minimum. Why would government employment be any different?
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:11   #225
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:

Why don you come work for free for me?

I have a contract that could change at any time based upon market conditions. You think you should be immune to the economy because your work is paid for by taking societies money.

PS. If you can not afford a device you think you need, that is not my problem. I guess you dont need it bad enough if you cant pay for it.
2x4=8, not 14.

Last edited by DanaT; 01-06-2013 at 12:12..