GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-08-2011, 18:36   #1
FirearmsInPhoenix

Ameriglo sights installation, Loctite - Red or Blue?

I recently purchased 3 sets of Ameriglo Sights:

2 Hackathorn sets

1 set composed of: GG-112-115LG front (.115 Lime Green luminova) and GL-409 rear (.164 rear notch black classic). (pictures linked in model number if you're interested)

I also purchased the Ameriglo Sight tool Gtool2. I forgot to get the front sight tool, but I think one my local shops in Phoenix carries it in stock.

My question: When installing the rear sight, do you spread loctite under the rear sight prior to putting it on the slide? I ask, because I think I remember watching a video of a gentleman who did this. And, if so, would one want to use red or blue loctite? Also for the front sight, red or blue?

Thanks in advance for any who answer.
FirearmsInPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 18:43   #2
ChicagoZman

I use blue on the front sight screw but have not found a need for use on the rear sights in any of my guns unless they have a set screw, in which case I use blue there also (on the screw to keep it from backing out with use).
Glocks: 17, 17L, 22, 22C, 23, 24C, 27, 34
Other Handguns: Several
ChicagoZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 19:44   #3
bentbiker
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirearmsInPhoenix View Post
I forgot to get the front sight tool, but I think one my local shops in Phoenix carries it in stock.
Have you thoroughly checked your shipment? Ameriglo normally includes a front tool with each set of Glock sights. If it is not there, call them and they'll send you one (unless their policy has changed).

As for thread locker, I agree with ChicagoZman. No need for it on the rear sight unless it is particularly loose; my experience is that the Ameriglo sights are plenty tight and, in fact, might require a little filing to get them in without over-stressing the tool.

Last edited by bentbiker; 01-08-2011 at 19:48..
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 19:50   #4
cevtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbiker View Post
Have you thoroughly checked your shipment? Ameriglo normally includes a front tool with each set of Glock sights. If it is not there, call them and they'll send you one (unless their policy has changed).

I didn't get one with my recent purchase of a sight set.
cevtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 20:00   #5
bentbiker
NRA Member

Double post.

Last edited by bentbiker; 01-08-2011 at 20:02..
Old 01-08-2011, 20:01   #6
bentbiker
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cevtv View Post
See http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthre...8#post15266718 . I'd suggest a PM, but I don't think Rick stops by here very often.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:45   #7
FirearmsInPhoenix

Quote:
See http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthre...8#post15266718 . I'd suggest a PM, but I don't think Rick stops by here very often.
Thanks. I sent an email to the one he left in the thread asking if front sight tools are still shipped with glock sites.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:54   #8
DannyR

I always use red locktite on the front screw only, and just a drop on the threads. Then, let it cure 24 hours before shooting your pistol.

Also, before you install the rear sight, place one drop of oil on each side of the dove tail.

If you can't get in touch with Rick, PM me your address and I'll send you a front tool, no charge. I think I still have several in the basement.
Bull Dawg #1
www.gssfonline.com
https://sites.google.com/site/dannyvickieryan

Last edited by DannyR; 01-09-2011 at 04:58..
DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:51   #9
cevtv

Quote:
Thanks. Luckily, I found one I had laying around. Love the sights!
Old 01-09-2011, 14:13   #10
RayB
Retired Member

I've had zero problems using either red or blue Loctite...

Note that careful--absolutely clean--surface prep is critical to success!

--Ray
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 15:20   #11
dkf

The Blue medium strength thread locker is designed for smaller screws and to be removal. Most Red thread locker is high strength for larger bolts and has a "permanent" designation. If you look on the Loctite or Permatex website you can see the different threadlockers they offer. I learned a long time ago to be careful what you use Red on, you may have a hard time removing it or even break off the head on smaller screws.

My Hacks will be here tomorrow. Can't wait to try them out.

Last edited by dkf; 01-09-2011 at 15:41..
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:06   #12
FirearmsInPhoenix

thanks for the offer, that's very kind of you. I did get hold of Rick and he said he'd ship me out one on Monday (yesterday).

Also, thanks for the tip re. the oil on the dovetail. I wouldn't have thought to do it, though seems an obvious step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR View Post
I always use red locktite on the front screw only, and just a drop on the threads. Then, let it cure 24 hours before shooting your pistol.

Also, before you install the rear sight, place one drop of oil on each side of the dove tail.

If you can't get in touch with Rick, PM me your address and I'll send you a front tool, no charge. I think I still have several in the basement.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:05   #13
loneeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR View Post

just curious what oil you use for this I will have a few sets coming next week along with the rear sight tool to do things my self.
loneeagle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:15   #14
Palmguy
Boom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneeagle View Post
just curious what oil you use for this I will have a few sets coming next week along with the rear sight tool to do things my self.
Whatever gun oil you have is sufficient.
Palmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:30   #15
dudel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cevtv View Post
Interesting. I got a front sight wrench in the set I just ordered with the GT discount (thanks again BentBiker).

Just finished installing a set of Hacks on the G38. There was no loctite on the Glock front sight; but I used blue on the front Ameriglo screw.

The back set installed nicely with the pusher made by BigMoneyClip on this forum (thanks again BMC).

Then went out back to try it out. Very easy and fast signt picture. Was hitting the 4" popper consistently at 30 yrds.

Ameriglo Hacks are highly recommened.
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 17:37   #16
cevtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudel View Post
Interesting. I got a front sight wrench in the set I just ordered with the GT discount (thanks again BentBiker).
Yeah, it was no big deal - probably just a simple mistake.
Old 12-29-2012, 16:21   #17
RM686

Used the blue on ameriglo front whch came lose after 1500 rounds. Rear sight very tight using MGW sight tool. No need for any loctite.
The americglo did not fit the front hole in my G19. It was way loser than the plastic sight. You could twist it back and forth which is why I would use RED Loctite. I ordered the yellow hack sights since in dim light at the range the orange Ameriglo was like shooting iron sights. I will use Red 271 on the hack fronts when they come.
RM686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:05   #18
AmeriGlo

Front Tool

Regarding the front sight tool in packaging - our dealers and distributors have a choice when buying front sights for Glocks from us. Option 1 is to include the tool (slightly higher price) or Option 2, no tool. If the item is ordered on our web store it is included.
AmeriGlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:23   #19
RM686

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriGlo View Post
Regarding the front sight tool in packaging - our dealers and distributors have a choice when buying front sights for Glocks from us. Option 1 is to include the tool (slightly higher price) or Option 2, no tool. If the item is ordered on our web store it is included.
Why cant you guys make a better fiting front sight for the Glock. The plastic sight fits in the slide hole rock tight. For the amount of money your sights coast they should be a better fit.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:25   #20
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Green. Heat will defeat any adhesive or thread locker.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:38   #21
ScottieG59

I have used both blue and red lock tight. Red holds very tightly. To get red lock tight to release, you have to use heat for a few minutes. I think 350 degrees Fahrenheit is the right temperature, but you can do a web search on that. Some use lighters or hot air guns to heat it. The red lock tight will turn white when it is heated enough to release.

I doubt normal use of a pistol will get the red lock tight to its release temperature.
ScottieG59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:10   #22
RM686

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieG59 View Post
I have used both blue and red lock tight. Red holds very tightly. To get red lock tight to release, you have to use heat for a few minutes. I think 350 degrees Fahrenheit is the right temperature, but you can do a web search on that. Some use lighters or hot air guns to heat it. The red lock tight will turn white when it is heated enough to release.

I doubt normal use of a pistol will get the red lock tight to its release temperature.
which red did you use 271?
Old 01-05-2013, 09:24   #23
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

I've always used blue on the front sight screw and it's held just fine, and the one's I've removed with blue applied, it's evident that it's holding the screw in place pretty well. I see no reason to use red.

I know the original post is two years old, but if you order Ameriglo sights from anywhere other than Ameriglo directly, you won't likely get the front sight tool, that seems to be if you order from Ameriglo directly, and their prices are a little higher as well compared to other places online.

Tags
ameriglo, installation, sight tool