Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-08-2012, 21:29   #61
rohanreginald
Novice

I am an avid bird hunter and have many shotguns. My mossberg is the only pump shotgun I have ever had that continuously malfunctions. Along with that my personal preference is that I don't like the safety on the mossberg. I have lefty friends that prefer the mossberg due to the location of the safety. I would pass on mossberg.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 12-08-2012, 22:51   #62
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullClip View Post
It's like asking if chocolate is better than vanilla.
That is easy. I could live without vanilla. I could not live without chocolate.

It is like ford vs. chevy.

I would suggest that you go with Mossberg, because I decided I wanted Remington and you can sell me your Remingtons cheap.

The reason I went remington was because other friends already had remingtons.

I plan to go Saiga also.
Old 12-09-2012, 19:46   #63
kemet1953

Simple: Safety on top of the Mossberg receiver is never a problem to engage but however if you have a Remington or other competors shot guns you will have to quest or hope that you have engage it inb the fire position unless you want to take a look down to see and get your head blown off.
kemet1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 21:45   #64
larry_minn
Silver Membership

Folks have realize that ONE bad gun does not a "junk brand" make. I had one moss that double fed. Took it to one smith, no joy, another and 30 seconds later, no charge it works great. (ok it was more like 10 minutes talking, 3 minutes taking apart/bending...)
Now it feeds anything just fine. That said a 870 is my go to shotgun. I have twice TRIED to buy a semi auto shotgun. Both times I have taken demonstrater shotguns and in 20 rds they jam. :( They take it back/clean/I try again and its still a "single shot" So the shop guy tries it. Same issue. So I have a trust issue with semi auto shotguns. Side issue is. If/when I get one it has to have 6+1 tube. The idea (to me) of self defense semi auto with only 4+1.........
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 22:06   #65
jrd22

Remington's Versa Max has had a lot of problems and it ain't just one bad gun. Lot's of discussion on other forums about it. It should never have been released until they had it dialed in. My second one is going to have to go back, might just try for a refund and get something else for bird hunting.
jrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 23:29   #66
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmonster View Post
Interesting post.

Would you say there's no need for a shotgun for HD if you own a pistol and/or AR15 rifle?

If this comment was in response to my verbose posting then here goes:

I don't see any application for a rifle in SD or HD in my very populated environment. It would have to be a major firefight before I would consider using something like an AR and that just isn't going to happen.

Could someone present a SHTF scenario where that much firepower was necessary? Sure, the Rodney King riots come to mind. An AR would be handy under those conditions. Not going to happen in my neighborhood.

But I don't see a use for a shotgun in HD either. I just can't see myself clearing the house with a long gun. As I said earlier, if the tactic is to lie in wait, a shotgun is the way to go. Going through doorways, not so much...

Personally, I am satisfied with a handgun. Inside the house the distances are nearly point blank. Missing isn't likely. Outside the house, in California, claiming SD is very problematic.

Nevertheless, I have 3 tactical shotguns and an AR-15 within immediate reach inside the house. But I have a handgun even closer.

I realize other opinions vary as do circumstances. If I lived in a rural area, the AR might be my favorite SD weapon. It's all situational...

Richard
Old 12-10-2012, 09:15   #67
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

I prefer the ergonomics of the Remington 870 for my HD/SD shotgun. (Speedfeed IV-S stock w/ pistol grip, Surefire fore-end) I like the safety and release being at the trigger guard. Semi-Auto Field/competition with standard stock, I tried many of the Remington and went with the Mossberg 930.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 17:53   #68
glockfan2327

who cares about the safety , finger out the trigger and you good to go.
my vore is for the mossberg 930spx , do everything the pumps does but faster
glockfan2327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 18:50   #69
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
I prefer the ergonomics of the Remington 870 for my HD/SD shotgun. (Speedfeed IV-S stock w/ pistol grip, Surefire fore-end) I like the safety and release being at the trigger guard. Semi-Auto Field/competition with standard stock, I tried many of the Remington and went with the Mossberg 930.
I never had a problem finding the safety on the Rem.
Putting the safety back on.....well there you might have a point.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:26   #70
TacticalTshirtsREP

For me, it's a no brainer. I'll take a carbine over a shotgun for home defense. But I have extensive experience running a carbine CQB indoors.

With that said, nothing WRONG with a shotgun for HD. And I wouldn't feel the LEAST bit behind the curve with a shotgun.

TTR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Shooting guns and having fun.
TacticalTshirtsREP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:30   #71
rohanreginald
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockfan2327 View Post
who cares about the safety , finger out the trigger and you good to go.
my vore is for the mossberg 930spx , do everything the pumps does but faster
When hunting you must use the safety. I have seen guns go off without fingers in the trigger. Safeties and more so unloading your gun are what you need to rely on when in the field. I would never hunt with someone who continuously keeps their safety off when not intending to shoot.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 01-04-2013, 16:14   #72
IQof1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmonster View Post
Good replies guys.

For someone who has grown up shooting one brand or the other, it probably doesn't make sense to switch. For someone who is simply a collector, it doesn't make sense to standardize.

I'm relatively new to shotguns though, and I am not a collector. I plan to use them for defensive purposes, so it makes sense to me to pick a brand, and then standardize with the brand's weapon system. (Parts, training, manual of arms, tools, etc)

I have shot 870s, and they seem pretty simple to use. They are also inexpensive and light weight... they seem pretty handy. You can get a basic 870 Express Tactical for about $300 in my area.

I challenge anyone that says "the 870 is a flawless weapon" though. I have several complaints about it.

First, I wish that the generic 870s came with a better finish. I'd prefer Parkerizing, or something of that nature.
*(Counterpoint: I understand you get a nice finish on the Marine Magnum, but I don't really want a shiny finish. I understand you can get a nice finish on the Wingmasters, but they don't come in 'tactical' setups.)

Second, I wish you could buy it already equipped with all the aftermarket parts I'd want, instead of having to add them all myself
*(Counterpoint: I realize you can get all this in the 870P max, I just balk at spending $1200 on a pump shotgun.)

Third, I wish the 870 held more rounds, like the 590a1.
*(Counterpoint: I realize that there is a trade-off involved here.... as the 590a1 is longer and heavier. I'm not sure if it is worth it for a CQB scenario or not, but it seems advantageous.)

The only real reasons that I am considering a Mossberg 590a1 are:

-It holds 8+1 rounds, instead of 6 or 7 with the 870
-It seems to be built with slightly beefier construction.
-It comes with a factory Parkerized finish
-The rear mounted safety seems possibly more useful and/or definitive feeling.
-You can buy the gun with most of the accessories I want under $600 (Ghost ring high-viz sights, Speedfeed stock, etc)

I realize the 590a1 is not without flaws though, either. People say it is heavier, and less smooth than the 870. People also say that the fit and finish is subpar to the 870s, even though the 590s come Parkerized. And people have said that all extra "beefier construction" of the 590a1 doesn't really increase reliability to the extent you think it would... it just adds weight.

Thus, I am at a dilemma until I can sort through these trade-offs.
i carry an 870 at work and i havent seen anyone mention the mule that is placed in the stock of each one......

Last edited by IQof1; 01-04-2013 at 16:15..
IQof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 21:05   #73
pspez

Any of you own the Mossberg 500 SPX 18.5" and your thoughts.I have been thinking of buying one.
pspez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 21:27   #74
Kilrain
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspez View Post
Any of you own the Mossberg 500 SPX 18.5" and your thoughts.I have been thinking of buying one.
Mossberg 500 is a proven gun. It should do everything you ask of it and last a lifetime barring extreme abuse.

As for the SPX part, I like ghost ring sights so, for me, that's a plus. I don't like pistol grip stocks so, for me, that's a minus.

Good luck with your decision.........

He is the pork of crime

- Michael Hurley
Kilrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 22:26   #75
PCO31

Love my 1995 Mossberg 835. Great for just about anything, except slugs. I have mine trimmed down to 19" after it took a spill and wrecked the muzzle. Pic rail and a Tasco red dot......shoots amazing....cant take to many of the 3.5" shells-wow.
PCO31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:01   #76
ca survivor

I prefer the 870 Remington.
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 13:10   #77
Pawcatch@aol.co

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCO31 View Post
Love my 1995 Mossberg 835. Great for just about anything, except slugs. I have mine trimmed down to 19" after it took a spill and wrecked the muzzle. Pic rail and a Tasco red dot......shoots amazing....cant take to many of the 3.5" shells-wow.
My 835 is my go to weapon home defense.
The first round I keep loaded with 3.5' 00 buck and the 3'' 00 buck in the tube.
Pawcatch@aol.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 13:30   #78
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
I never had a problem finding the safety on the Rem.
Putting the safety back on.....well there you might have a point.
I haven't either with a pistol grip stock... standard field stock the safety on the top is just easier for me to manipulate both ways.
&
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote