Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-29-2012, 19:11   #41
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
Oh, I just grab one in each hand, but that's for a trip from the garage to the back of the truck only.
How many rounds of ammo in each 20mm can & what type?

The last time I stored just bullets (not cartridges) in a 20mm..

..it was very heavy..

..I would guess several hundred pounds.

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"
LongGun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 23:17   #42
USMCsilver
Boat Life ©

Send a message via AIM to USMCsilver Send a message via Yahoo to USMCsilver
Let's see...

10 magazines loaded w/ 25 rounds each in an AR/22. That can last a reasonable 15 minutes. Take time for refills, etc and you can EASILY shoot 1k rounds in a single session.

Or...a single round can take down a deer and feed a family for a week.

Guess it all depends on how you wanna look at things. 20k rounds of ammo sounds insane to some. To others, it sounds like a good start.

"Kiss my ass, I bought a boat! I'm goin' out to sea..." (Jimmy Buffett covering Lovett)
USMCsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:25   #43
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

The smallest/least round I'd ever try ta take a deer with is a .22mag.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:21   #44
OMDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongGun1 View Post
The regular .50 cans will not hold 12 bulk packs..IIRC

..& even at $5 each you might take another look at your math!
$5.00 per can for 20 years is $0.25 per can per year. What am I missing here?
OMDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:40   #45
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMDonald View Post
$5.00 per can for 20 years is $0.25 per can per year. What am I missing here?

Because the protection I listed is not for one can of ammo..

..but the number of cans to protect the entire 20,000 rds of .22LR

In my case....6,600 rds in bulk packs per "Tall 50" (@ $15 each x 3 cans)..

..or in his case maybe 6 cans.

Yes...he will spend less than my more densely packed method..

..but certainly not $0.25 a year...

..more like $1.50.....still very cheap insurance for the price of 20K ammo now..

..much less the inflated price & possibly limited availability of 20K of .22 LR in 20 years from now

Old 12-30-2012, 08:46   #46
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongGun1 View Post
How many rounds of ammo in each 20mm can & what type?

The last time I stored just bullets (not cartridges) in a 20mm..

..it was very heavy..

..I would guess several hundred pounds.
If you stored just bullets, you'd probably need a forklift to carry the darn thing. Cartridges are lighter. Each of the 20mm cans holds a selection of different calibers, a few boxes of this, a few boxes of that, but they are full. It's not a far walk from where they are stored to the truck bed.

It's not for carrying long distance, it's for taking as much as you can carry in a hurry.
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:47   #47
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
I could do that. I haven't been to wal-mart in weeks though. I'm betting their shelves are bare except for the oddball stuff at this point. I may mosey on over just to take a gander at some point today. I need to stop at Tractor Supply for more Carhartt pants anyway...

-Emt1581

Not near my stock of ammo right now..

..and I do not like to dip into my stock with me..(approx 2K)

..so I have been relying on the local Walmart/LGS for ammo.

Though I picked up a brick of 225 rds of .22 LR this week..

..the previous grocery runs yielded no 9mm, no .223 & no .22 LR

Sorta like an Easter Egg hunt...after everything has been picked clean!

Old 12-30-2012, 08:48   #48
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirgi08 View Post
.17 HMR would work with fairly close head shots. Never tried it, but I'm certain it would work just fine. Smallest thing I've ever shot a deer with so far is a .308.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:14   #49
Stevekozak
Returning video

Quote:
I bet you would change your mind if .22 LR was all that you had, and your family was starving. I am not advocating it, but it is possible. Talk to some Depression era folks who were in that position, and they will tell you. In a true SHTF situation nothing is predictable and the works can't and won't should probably be largely deleted from a person's vocabulary.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:24   #50
carbuncle
is not cool.

I was at the local wally world yesterday and boy howdy, the ammo shelves were bare! I grabbed a box of Remington 22LR, the new and improved one, and grabbed a box of 22 shorts because it was the last one in the case and I've wanted to try them out for a bit. Guy behind me cleaned out the .40 and the guy behind him cleaned out the 9 (at 16 bucks a box). I'm not freaking out about ammo, but a lot of people sure are.

Posted from my car phone.

Last edited by carbuncle; 12-30-2012 at 09:25..
carbuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:37   #51
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekozak View Post
I bet you would change your mind if .22 LR was all that you had, and your family was starving. I am not advocating it, but it is possible. Talk to some Depression era folks who were in that position, and they will tell you. In a true SHTF situation nothing is predictable and the works can't and won't should probably be largely deleted from a person's vocabulary.
Two different scenarios,I do have a .22mag.'08.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:54   #52
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
To kill a deer with a .22lr, does it have to be an eye shot or point blank or what??

I've heard of bears being taken with a .22lr single shot. I just am not sure how it'd happen.

Thanks

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:22   #53
Stevekozak
Returning video

Quote:
Two different scenarios,I do have a .22mag.'08.
As do a lot of us. My point was that in a true SHTF (whatever that might be) it is possible that we might be seperated from the items that we have so carefully accumulated. Ideally we would have all the firearms we have selected for the variety of situations that might arise available to us, but there is no guarentee of that. Can't and won't are dangerous words to lean on in a survival situation.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:27   #54
Stevekozak
Returning video

Quote:
To kill a deer with a .22lr, does it have to be an eye shot or point blank or what??

I've heard of bears being taken with a .22lr single shot. I just am not sure how it'd happen.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Nope. Bullet placement is vital, but no, you don't have to shoot them in the eye, and if you are at point blank range, why waste a bullet anyways? Spinal shots will work, a .22 will actually penetrate to the heart. Lots of tracking could be involved. Probably not a lot of blood trail... Again, I don't advocate it, and have never done it, but it is possible, and I would not hesitate to do it if necessary in a survival situation.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:43   #55
bdcochran

Question and response

"To kill a deer with a .22lr, does it have to be an eye shot or point blank or what??"

Ok. I am going to assume a legal environment in which you can do anything to take down a deer and that it is for survival. So Vegans, vegetarians, game wardens and block Level Inspectors Clouseau take a hike in this discussion.

1. traps work 24/7. Use a trap instead of a firearm.
2. Deer are diurnal. Diurnal means that they are up and moving a couple of times a day and that they rest in the middle of the day.
3. Understanding that deer are diurnal and that you are not using combat sweeps to roust them from bedding, you need to be able to shoot at dawn and slightly after dusk. Essentially, you should have good eye sight and great optics.
4. Your knowledge of ballistics and animal traits are paramount as you insist on using a firearm.
5. If you shoot a deer, the likelihood is that it will bound a short distance, lie down and rest. This means that the hunter does not let out a warhoop and go chasing. You wait a couple of minutes. Obviously, if the deer is seriously injured, it is not going to rise up.
6. Another animal trait is knowing the habits and paths of animals. It is a bit late to try to take animal tracking classes after shtf. An experienced hunter will know the deer sign and paths. He/she is the person who will get close enough for the proverbial accurate eye shot at dawn. The rest of the people will be flailing away in the brush and taking shots at unknown ranges in near darkness.
7. People can speak all they want about survival in the Depression. All of my relatives who lived in that era are now dead. 20% of the military inductees in the US in WW2 were rejected as malnourished.

So, after all of my bs, if you can do an eye shot at 75 yards at dawn, that will work. If you do a lung shot and have patience, that will work. If you are accurate enough to take out a leg, that will work. If you can't do it now, decide whether you want to learn or not.

If people were really serious about their equipment, marksmanship, and hunting skills, they would find a local varmint club and go up the learning curve a lot faster than reading a book or subscribing to a gun magazine.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:21   #56
emt1581
Curious Member

BD, you mentioned traps... I know of a few that'll work for rodents and fish, but what traps will contain a deer??

At the same time I'll check out what google has to say on the matter.

Thanks

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:25   #57
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Quote:
As do a lot of us. My point was that in a true SHTF (whatever that might be) it is possible that we might be seperated from the items that we have so carefully accumulated. Ideally we would have all the firearms we have selected for the variety of situations that might arise available to us, but there is no guarentee of that. Can't and won't are dangerous words to lean on in a survival situation.
Steve,with no disrespect,we have at the time 4x the ability ta resupply.We won't run outta much of anything.I do agree hunger is a great motivator.We have taken the steps ta avoid this.

I do agree if hungry I'd shoot food with what is handy.I prefer a .257 Roberts or a 30/30.We have both and the means ta feed them,I'd love ta reload.I'd havta give up prep space ta do so.It's a catch 22.'08.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:36   #58
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcochran View Post
"To kill a deer with a .22lr, does it have to be an eye shot or point blank or what??"

Ok. I am going to assume a legal environment in which you can do anything to take down a deer and that it is for survival. So Vegans, vegetarians, game wardens and block Level Inspectors Clouseau take a hike in this discussion.

1. traps work 24/7. Use a trap instead of a firearm.
2. Deer are diurnal. Diurnal means that they are up and moving a couple of times a day and that they rest in the middle of the day.
3. Understanding that deer are diurnal and that you are not using combat sweeps to roust them from bedding, you need to be able to shoot at dawn and slightly after dusk. Essentially, you should have good eye sight and great optics.
4. Your knowledge of ballistics and animal traits are paramount as you insist on using a firearm.
5. If you shoot a deer, the likelihood is that it will bound a short distance, lie down and rest. This means that the hunter does not let out a warhoop and go chasing. You wait a couple of minutes. Obviously, if the deer is seriously injured, it is not going to rise up.
6. Another animal trait is knowing the habits and paths of animals. It is a bit late to try to take animal tracking classes after shtf. An experienced hunter will know the deer sign and paths. He/she is the person who will get close enough for the proverbial accurate eye shot at dawn. The rest of the people will be flailing away in the brush and taking shots at unknown ranges in near darkness.
7. People can speak all they want about survival in the Depression. All of my relatives who lived in that era are now dead. 20% of the military inductees in the US in WW2 were rejected as malnourished.

So, after all of my bs, if you can do an eye shot at 75 yards at dawn, that will work. If you do a lung shot and have patience, that will work. If you are accurate enough to take out a leg, that will work. If you can't do it now, decide whether you want to learn or not.

If people were really serious about their equipment, marksmanship, and hunting skills, they would find a local varmint club and go up the learning curve a lot faster than reading a book or subscribing to a gun magazine.

Well Stated!

I know those who have taken deer with a .22 LR

..each time one shot carefully placed at close range...

..each time deer was dropped on the spot.

Precision CNS shots.....not "Slob Hunting"!

Old 12-30-2012, 13:10   #59
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
BD, you mentioned traps... I know of a few that'll work for rodents and fish, but what traps will contain a deer??

At the same time I'll check out what google has to say on the matter.

Thanks

-Emt1581
You just need a taller one of these. These are this specific height so as not to allow deer to get in them.

Survival/Preparedness Forum
Old 12-30-2012, 14:12   #60
USMCsilver
Boat Life ©

Send a message via AIM to USMCsilver Send a message via Yahoo to USMCsilver
Shoot a deer in the brain with a .22 and it is DRT.

End of topic.

I think some of y'all need to get and kill more animals.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

"Kiss my ass, I bought a boat! I'm goin' out to sea..." (Jimmy Buffett covering Lovett)
USMCsilver is offline   Reply With Quote