Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:19   #41
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

...so basically we are screwed sooner or later.
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:21   #42
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatDrall View Post
Some of us pay more attention than others.

A lot of us remember the first AWB, and the political slaughter that followed the next mid-term election. A lot of Democrats remember this as well.

Feinstein had this bill in her desk, and has probably proposed it every few months since the last AWB expired.

A US Senator got shot in the face and it was just like this, where all you heard about for the next few weeks was "ban this" and "regulate that". Bills were proposed but were laughed at in Committee, they never made it to the floor for a vote. It was forgotten shortly after.

VP Biden was put in charge of the effort, if that tells you anything about how serious Obama is about passing a ban Now, when nothing succeeds, he can tell the loonies on the Left "Well, I put the vice president in charge of this, if he couldn't get it done no one could have "
You're not the only one that is paying attention to this.

If you want to look back to the past, you would note one very glaring point:

Back in 1993, when the AWB was passed, there had NOT been recent mass shootings with AR15s. Despite this, the AWB was still passed. Of course this lead to the Dems getting crushed in the mid term elections the next year.

Now, we have had a run of very gruesome, and very recent mass shootings with AR15s. And Sandy Hook is having an effect on people the likes of which we have never seen before. But for some reason you believe that all of this means that there will NOT be new anti-gun legislation passed.

You want to think that the Dems will face another crushing defeat in the legislature in 2014, like they did in 1994. That would be an ignorant assumption. With the effects of Sandy Hook and other recent shootings, it is far more likely that some elected officials will lose their seats if they don't vote for the looming anti-gun legislation.

There is going to be enough elected representatives, that previously would not have voted for anti-gun legislation, that will flip and vote for it, out of fear of losing their seats. That will get the looming anti-gun legislation passed.

Times have changed, and it seems like too many gun owners are stuck in the past from 20 years ago. Or fail to grasp the impact of 20 6 & 7 year olds getting murdered.

When the anti-gun folks like Feinstein present their legislation to the floor, they will most certainly roll out the "Mothers and Fathers of the Disappeared" from the Sandy Hook shootings, right out in front of the cameras on live, national TV.

Final point: Most people on GT thought that there were enough votes to stop Obummer Care. A lot of people here were certain Romney would win.

Ooooooops!!

Last edited by M&P15T; 12-28-2012 at 08:18..
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:43   #43
MD357

Quote:
Back in 1993, when the AWB was passed, there had NOT been recent mass shootings with AR15s. Despite this, the AWB was still passed. Of course this lead to the Dems getting crushed in the mid term elections the next year.
That's not true. Killen, Texas.... late 1991 and the Cleveland school shooting before that. They may not have been recent to certain standards but they were both ingrained in the political discussion back then. Namely, the school shooting about "assault rifles"

Last edited by MD357; 12-28-2012 at 08:44..
MD357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:40   #44
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD357 View Post
That's not true. Killen, Texas.... late 1991 and the Cleveland school shooting before that. They may not have been recent to certain standards but they were both ingrained in the political discussion back then. Namely, the school shooting about "assault rifles"
Killeen was pistols, not an AR.

I can't find anything on a shooting in a Cleveland school around that time. Remember what year that occured?

Last edited by M&P15T; 12-28-2012 at 09:41..
Old 12-28-2012, 09:57   #45
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoFoxtrot View Post
...so basically we are screwed sooner or later.
Yep IMO that is correct. We take it in the rear now or after 2014. Sucks either way. I would think that if this panic buying things calms down it would be wise to stock up before 2014 just incase. Plus it's a great excuse to buy more guns
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:56   #46
humanguerrilla

If we hold the House Republicans coming out for gun controls feet to the fire maybe not. Grassley R-GA and Kingston R-Iowa just put out some noise the other day that they are for some gun control measures. It only takes 40 to cross over to screw us.

Last edited by humanguerrilla; 12-28-2012 at 10:57..
humanguerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:10   #47
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanguerrilla View Post
If we hold the House Republicans coming out for gun controls feet to the fire maybe not. Grassley R-GA and Kingston R-Iowa just put out some noise the other day that they are for some gun control measures. It only takes 40 to cross over to screw us.
Republicans hold a 33 vote majority, so only 17 have to cross. That's assuming that EVERY Democrat votes for it, which is extremely unlikely. The Republican head of the House Judiciary committee has already made it clear he doesn't support an AWB, and the bill will have to go through his committee. He can kill it single-handedly by now allowing it to come up for debate in his committee.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:39   #48
Spiffums
I.C.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wriggly View Post
I hope you are right......

Summary of 2013 Feinstein Assault Weapons

Legislation

Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:

120 specifically-named firearms

Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a

detachable magazine and have one military characteristic

Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept

more than 10 rounds

Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:

Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test

Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts andflash suppressors from

the characteristics test

Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bulletbuttons” to address

attempts to “work around” prior bans

Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than

10 rounds.

Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existinggun owners by:

Grandfathering weaponslegally possessed on the date of enactment

Exempting over900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or

sporting purposes and

Exempting antique,manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons

Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered underthe National Firearms

Act, toinclude:

o Background check of owner and any transferee;

o Type and serial number of the firearm;

o Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;

o Certification from local law enforcement ofidentity and that

possession would not violate State or local law; and

o Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration
They put that bill out every ****ing year since the sunset of the 94 crime bill ban.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:54   #49
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
They put that bill out every ****ing year since the sunset of the 94 crime bill ban.
Man, somebody tell Feinstein she needs to quit the Senate and just concentrate on being a professional lobbyist for the anti crowd. At least that'll get her out of government.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 13:20   #50
CLM Number 101
Monkeyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Commando View Post
1) We control the House
2) SCOTUS ruled the 2nd amendment is a RIGHT
3) The Liberals are panicking as they lose their gun control narrative!
4) Executive Order will accomplish nothing as obama has no authority to issue new law! He's out of place here and will easily lose any court battle!
5) The gun control tide is losing steam and were winning the majority of all gun control polls, And the NRA is gaining as many as 8K new members a day!
Thanks for lulling us into a false sense of security.

Politicians and judges who voted for, and supported, Obamacare are traitors to the country!
Con, the first 3 letters in Congress.
UN, the first 2 letters in UNnecessary.
12131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 13:31   #51
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
All true.

Old 12-28-2012, 13:34   #52
MD357

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
Killeen was pistols, not an AR.

I can't find anything on a shooting in a Cleveland school around that time. Remember what year that occured?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_School_massacre
MD357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 15:02   #53
NDCent
Socially Inept

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient_serpent View Post
Gentlemen, this was posted in another thread, but http://1389blog.com/2012/12/23/larry...e-and-for-all/

Give that a read over, I think you'll feel better. I was, and it makes me realize that there are a lot of us in America that feel the same way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pag23 View Post
Great article written by that guy. I completely agree with his points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyboss_4evr View Post
Excellent article! Thanks for sharing, Serpent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumper View Post
Great article! One of the best I've ever read on the anti logic of gun control.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Thanks for posting. One of, if not, the best articles on AWB/gun control I've read. I will be passing it on, for sure.
Old 12-28-2012, 15:18   #54
captcurly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnut 45/454 View Post
Yep King Obamamoa has subverted the rule of law many times why would this be any different. Did he not give amnesty to illegals already? Illegally ran guns into Mexico? Got away with murdering thousands down there! And you stupid people voted him back into office!! And you expect anything different in the next 4 years! You all are truely stupid!
Gunnut, I am 100% with you on this. I can put my head on my pillow at night knowing that I did not vote for Obamamoa. Anyone that is into the 2nd Amen.and voted for him is a complete moron.

It is all about shot placement.
captcurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 15:23   #55
humanguerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Republicans hold a 33 vote majority, so only 17 have to cross. That's assuming that EVERY Democrat votes for it, which is extremely unlikely. The Republican head of the House Judiciary committee has already made it clear he doesn't support an AWB, and the bill will have to go through his committee. He can kill it single-handedly by now allowing it to come up for debate in his committee.
Thanks. I don't know what I was looking at.
humanguerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 15:38   #56
O2BShooting

You forget one thing the President may have the opportunity to appoint several Supreme Court Justices this term and could change any previous rulings and sway any future lawsuits in favor of the liberals.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:27   #57
BJHXDM3.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Commando View Post
1) We control the House
2) SCOTUS ruled the 2nd amendment is a RIGHT
3) The Liberals are panicking as they lose their gun control narrative!
4) Executive Order will accomplish nothing as obama has no authority to issue new law! He's out of place here and will easily lose any court battle!
5) The gun control tide is losing steam and were winning the majority of all gun control polls, And the NRA is gaining as many as 8K new members a day!
Tell Obama that. Under item number 4 he magically stopped the deportation of illegal imigrants. Between him and Holder laws or the enforcement of them mean nothing.
BJHXDM3.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:31   #58
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJHXDM3.8 View Post
Tell Obama that. Under item number 4 he magically stopped the deportation of illegal imigrants. Between him and Holder laws or the enforcement of them mean nothing.

...by ordering INS to not follow an existing law. Executive Orders can not make news laws.

Do I think he wishes he could? Maybe. I don't think he's dumb enough to try, though.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:45   #59
M&P15T
Beard One

I'm more and more convinced that Glock Talk is not the best place to read the tea leaves of politics in this country.

Folks here were certain Obummber Care would not pass.
Folks here were certain that the USSC would over-turn Obummer care.
Folks here were certain Obummer would not get re-elected.

And folks here now believe no anti-gun legislation is going to pass.

I remain convinced that anti-gun legislation is going to pass. In fact I think the mag restrictions are going to be passed next week.

Time will tell.

Last edited by M&P15T; 12-29-2012 at 09:19..
Old 12-29-2012, 09:18   #60
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
I'm more and more convinced that Glock Talk is not the best place to read the tea leaves of politics in this country.

Folks here were certain Obummber Care would not pass.
Folks here were certain Obummer would not get re-elected.
Folks here currently believe no anti-gun legislation is going to pass.

I remain convinced that anti-gun legislation is going to pass. In fact I think the mag restrictions are going to be passed next week.

Time will tell.
SO are you sitting on your ass proclaiming the end of the world, or are you actually trying to do something about it? No new legislation can pass without the House, and you can help stop it by telling your federal Senators and Representative that you do not agree with these proposals and will NOT support any politician that votes for them.