Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:31   #51
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
They put that bill out every ****ing year since the sunset of the 94 crime bill ban.
All true.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:34   #52
MD357

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
Killeen was pistols, not an AR.

I can't find anything on a shooting in a Cleveland school around that time. Remember what year that occured?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_School_massacre
MD357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 14:02   #53
NDCent
Socially Inept

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient_serpent View Post
Gentlemen, this was posted in another thread, but http://1389blog.com/2012/12/23/larry...e-and-for-all/

Give that a read over, I think you'll feel better. I was, and it makes me realize that there are a lot of us in America that feel the same way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pag23 View Post
Great article written by that guy. I completely agree with his points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyboss_4evr View Post
Excellent article! Thanks for sharing, Serpent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumper View Post
Great article! One of the best I've ever read on the anti logic of gun control.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Thanks for posting. One of, if not, the best articles on AWB/gun control I've read. I will be passing it on, for sure.
Old 12-28-2012, 14:18   #54
captcurly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnut 45/454 View Post
Yep King Obamamoa has subverted the rule of law many times why would this be any different. Did he not give amnesty to illegals already? Illegally ran guns into Mexico? Got away with murdering thousands down there! And you stupid people voted him back into office!! And you expect anything different in the next 4 years! You all are truely stupid!
Gunnut, I am 100% with you on this. I can put my head on my pillow at night knowing that I did not vote for Obamamoa. Anyone that is into the 2nd Amen.and voted for him is a complete moron.

It is all about shot placement.
captcurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 14:23   #55
humanguerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Republicans hold a 33 vote majority, so only 17 have to cross. That's assuming that EVERY Democrat votes for it, which is extremely unlikely. The Republican head of the House Judiciary committee has already made it clear he doesn't support an AWB, and the bill will have to go through his committee. He can kill it single-handedly by now allowing it to come up for debate in his committee.
Thanks. I don't know what I was looking at.
humanguerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 14:38   #56
O2BShooting

You forget one thing the President may have the opportunity to appoint several Supreme Court Justices this term and could change any previous rulings and sway any future lawsuits in favor of the liberals.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:27   #57
BJHXDM3.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Commando View Post
1) We control the House
2) SCOTUS ruled the 2nd amendment is a RIGHT
3) The Liberals are panicking as they lose their gun control narrative!
4) Executive Order will accomplish nothing as obama has no authority to issue new law! He's out of place here and will easily lose any court battle!
5) The gun control tide is losing steam and were winning the majority of all gun control polls, And the NRA is gaining as many as 8K new members a day!
Tell Obama that. Under item number 4 he magically stopped the deportation of illegal imigrants. Between him and Holder laws or the enforcement of them mean nothing.
BJHXDM3.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:31   #58
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJHXDM3.8 View Post
Tell Obama that. Under item number 4 he magically stopped the deportation of illegal imigrants. Between him and Holder laws or the enforcement of them mean nothing.

...by ordering INS to not follow an existing law. Executive Orders can not make news laws.

Do I think he wishes he could? Maybe. I don't think he's dumb enough to try, though.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:45   #59
M&P15T
Beard One

I'm more and more convinced that Glock Talk is not the best place to read the tea leaves of politics in this country.

Folks here were certain Obummber Care would not pass.
Folks here were certain that the USSC would over-turn Obummer care.
Folks here were certain Obummer would not get re-elected.

And folks here now believe no anti-gun legislation is going to pass.

I remain convinced that anti-gun legislation is going to pass. In fact I think the mag restrictions are going to be passed next week.

Time will tell.

Last edited by M&P15T; 12-29-2012 at 08:19..
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:18   #60
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
I'm more and more convinced that Glock Talk is not the best place to read the tea leaves of politics in this country.

Folks here were certain Obummber Care would not pass.
Folks here were certain Obummer would not get re-elected.
Folks here currently believe no anti-gun legislation is going to pass.

I remain convinced that anti-gun legislation is going to pass. In fact I think the mag restrictions are going to be passed next week.

Time will tell.
SO are you sitting on your ass proclaiming the end of the world, or are you actually trying to do something about it? No new legislation can pass without the House, and you can help stop it by telling your federal Senators and Representative that you do not agree with these proposals and will NOT support any politician that votes for them.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:38   #61
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
SO are you sitting on your ass proclaiming the end of the world, or are you actually trying to do something about it? No new legislation can pass without the House, and you can help stop it by telling your federal Senators and Representative that you do not agree with these proposals and will NOT support any politician that votes for them.
I can stop legislation from passing in the house? Perhaps us on GT? Well, I've sent my e-mails, I've done my due-diligence.

There are 323 (or so) million people in this country. Figure about 200 million are of voting age. The NRA has about 4.5 million members. So that's 195.5 versus 4.5

My friend, as I already enumerated, listening to people here on Glock Talk (such as yourself) about politics is useless. I started a poll in the GNG lounge, and the VAST majority of people DO NOT believe that anti-firearms legislation is going to be passed.

It is very evident that the good folks here on GT are not grasping the impact that the Sandy Hook murders are having on people that normally could not care one way or another about gun control. This is something the likes of which we have never seen before, and we are facing a Tsunami of support for anti-firearms legislation in the general population. I have friends that are gun owners, that actually support passing another AWB.

Glock Talk is many, many fun and positive things. But it is not the place to get a grasp of the Nation's political pulse. The memebers here on GT are pretty much extreme 2A supporting gun-owners, chatting with other extreme 2A supporting gun-owners. With everyone burying their head in the sand about what is going to happen in the very near future.

Last edited by M&P15T; 12-29-2012 at 08:43..
Old 12-29-2012, 08:47   #62
OdinIII

Send a message via ICQ to OdinIII
Dang it M&P! Way to take away my warm and fuzzy feeling.
OdinIII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:49   #63
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdinIII View Post
Dang it M&P! Way to take away my warm and fuzzy feeling.
Don't mean to do that.

Let's all hope that I am completely wrong. I love my AR, want more, want ammo, want more mags, want to go shooting more often, want-want-want.

But I truly fear we are going to get crushed this time.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:52   #64
OdinIII

Send a message via ICQ to OdinIII
Quote:
I admit that I've done nothing other than try to plant seeds with post on Facebook about the truths of the AWB. Should I email the same email everyday? Just email each Congressman once? Call everyday? What is the most effective method WoodenPlank?
OdinIII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:56   #65
xmanhockey7

If one of Obama's staff members were to be in violation of this so called "assault weapons ban" you think he'd used his executive power to get them off on all charges? Kind of like he did with Eric Holder.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:05   #66
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdinIII View Post
I admit that I've done nothing other than try to plant seeds with post on Facebook about the truths of the AWB. Should I email the same email everyday? Just email each Congressman once? Call everyday? What is the most effective method WoodenPlank?
Email all three of your congressmen(women). Follow up with phone calls on Monday, and again when Feinstein officially introduces her legislation.

Be polite, be professional, and present a small number of facts to back up your statement. Check your grammar and spelling on your email. Being an asshat or appearing illiterate will NOT help our cause.

Quote:
Don't mean to do that.

Let's all hope that I am completely wrong. I love my AR, want more, want ammo, want more mags, want to go shooting more often, want-want-want.

But I truly fear we are going to get crushed this time.
Maybe you should be looking at actual polls. USA TOday and Gallup released a joint poll showing over 50% of people did NOT support a ban. Plenty of politicians will not support this - even Democrats. Is it possible something can get rammed through? Sure, anything is possible. I'd say it's got even odds of passing the Senate - but significantly less in the House.

Yes, your calls and emails can make a difference. All it takes is a 1 vote majority on "NO" votes in the house to kill this bill. Hell, if you have a Representative on the Judiciary committee, that one person can be all it takes to kill a gun ban before it even gets to the floor.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:09   #67
doodi1

Guys the '93 ban passed the house by a slim margin of 2 votes. 216 to 214 and the Dems controlled the house and the senate.

This time we control the house and I firmly believe that a large chunk of the Dems will not vote for this Bill. I do not think it will pass the House. The Senate is a different thing, but Harry Reid will not stand for this. He will water it down significantly before any votes if at all. I think we will get some sort of magazine capacity limit on handguns and rifles. That will be the extent of the damage. But we have at least another four years of war with the anti's on this. We must continue our fight.
doodi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:33   #68
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Maybe you should be looking at actual polls. USA TOday and Gallup released a joint poll showing over 50% of people did NOT support a ban.
W.P., it all depends on what polls you look at.
http://www.gallup.com/poll/159569/am...pose-bans.aspx

Plus, there are already reports that A+ rated NRA legislators have come out in support of new anti-gun legislation. And even a Repub or two that have made the same type of statements.

I'm not trying to be anything other than logical and realistic about the situation. And I certainly hope that I am 110% wrong on everything I am saying. I hope that I get pounded for having acted like chicken little.

We'll see in the next few days/weeks/months.

Last edited by M&P15T; 12-29-2012 at 09:34..
Old 12-29-2012, 09:38   #69
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
W.P., it all depends on what polls you look at.
http://www.gallup.com/poll/159569/am...pose-bans.aspx

Plus, there are already reports that A+ rated NRA legislators have come out in support of new anti-gun legislation. And even a Repub or two that have made the same type of statements.

I'm not trying to be anything other than logical and realistic about the situation. And I certainly hope that I am 110% wrong on everything I am saying. I hope that I get pounded for having acted like chicken little.

We'll see in the next few days/weeks/months.
From the very poll you linked:

"Notably, the 44% in favor of assault rifle bans in response to this trend question is nearly identical to the 42% Gallup found favoring assault and semi-automatic bans in a Dec. 18 poll. In that survey, participants responded to a question asking about possible approaches to preventing mass shootings at schools, similar to the shooting that occurred Dec. 14 in Connecticut."

Also, if you look at past polling data, it's pretty obvious the current spike in support for any kind of anti-gun legislation is temporary at best. Considering Obama has even made statements indicating he is in no hurry to push for new legislation, I doubt there will be anywhere near enough support from the public for this by the time Democrats are ready to try anything.

None of this is an excuse not to call and email your congressmen, though. Same goes for anyone reading this - no matter how liberal your congressmen are, tell them how you feel. The constant doom and gloom being foretold on this website isn't helping our cause, either. It breeds apathy, and apathy is NOT what we need right now.

Last edited by WoodenPlank; 12-29-2012 at 09:39..
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:43   #70
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Commando View Post
1) We control the House
Yes...and you can see how "strong" the GOP is taking a stance on issues. They are not. So far, I believe 1-2 GOP senators have already come out supporting an AWB. Several others have not made a commitment in either direction.

2) SCOTUS ruled the 2nd amendment is a RIGHT
Yes...but you're attempting to extrapolate that into meaning they ruled that AWBs (a term I hate) are part of that right. That is not the case. They have only ruled you have a right to bear arms. As for the specifics of which type of arm, I don't believe there has been a ruling.

3) The Liberals are panicking as they lose their gun control narrative!
Funny, but I am seeing a LOT of panic on the gun owner side of the fence.

4) Executive Order will accomplish nothing as obama has no authority to issue new law! He's out of place here and will easily lose any court battle!
True, however he is looking for ways to use this power to circumvent the process. Whether he's success remains to be seen. But be mindful, he wouldn't consider the option and have the DOJ review the option if he didn't think there was some possibility of using it. I have no idea how he would do so, other than perhaps targeting ammunition.

5) The gun control tide is losing steam and were winning the majority of all gun control polls, And the NRA is gaining as many as 8K new members a day!
Yes. However the majority of voters support Obama...not the NRA.
While I certainly hope you are right, I think my comments in red show it's not as cut & dry as we'd all like to think.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:58   #71
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Considering Obama has even made statements indicating he is in no hurry to push for new legislation, I doubt there will be anywhere near enough support from the public for this by the time Democrats are ready to try anything.
I don't know where you are hearing that Obama is in no hurry for new legislation. He wants Biden to have something ready in January. That's very quick in D.C.

Still, I really am not worried about Obama and Biden, the action is not centered on them. I'm concerned about what may happen in the House & Senate.

I do agree that there is a short ammount of time anti-gun legislators have to get something passed. I'm thinking they have to get something done between January and March, before people start forgetting about Sandy Hook.

But then they can just roll-out the "Parents of the Disappeared" from Sandy Hook, have them crying and wailing on national TV during floor debates, and rip the scab right off that national wound.

And if there is another mass-shooting in the next few weeks/months? Fuggetaboutit.

Last edited by M&P15T; 12-29-2012 at 10:14..
Old 12-29-2012, 10:00   #72
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
I don't know where you are hearing that Obama is in no hurry for new legislation. He wantsBiden to have something ready in January.

Still, I really am not worried about Obama and Biden, the action is not centered on them. I'm concerned about what may happen in the House & Senate.

I do agree that there is a short ammount of time anti-gun legislators have to get something passed. I'm thinking they have to get something done between January and Febuary, before people start forgetting about Sandy Hook.

But then they can just roll-out the "Parents of the Disappeared" from Sandy Hook, have them crying and wailing on national TV during floor debates, and rip the scab right off that national wound.

And if there is another mass-shooting in the next few weeks/months? Fuggetaboutit.
With all the budget nonsense going on, the end of January is going to be a long time in politics. The news is already moving on from their coverage of the shooting.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:09   #73
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
With all the budget nonsense going on, the end of January is going to be a long time in politics. The news is already moving on from their coverage of the shooting.
Again, that's about perspective. Depends on where you look and what you pay attention to.

I watch my morning news while doing cardio at the gym in the mornings. Virtually every news program has a segment about looming gun-control legislation. Yes, the media has dropped Sandy Hook, but not possible gun-control legislation.

I do agree that one of our biggest hopes is continued focus on the Fiscal Cliff. Of course the flip-side of that is that some sort of gun-control legislation could be part of the negotiations on the Fiscal Cliff, and it could happen in the middle of the night, behind closed doors.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:43   #74
jamaicanj

I am very concerned that the bill could pass. Do what you can to educate your friends and family so they can join you in contacting your senators/rep to express the position not in favor of Feinstein's bill.
Phillipians 4:13
Go Gators/Wildcats!!!
Glock Certified Armorer & GSSF Member
jamaicanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:49   #75
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Its hard to! I've tried,most people are re-active instead of pro-active. When their gun rights are taken away then they will be like" Oh S***! what happened!"
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote