Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-26-2012, 18:51   #1
G26AZ

"Tactical Pens" and the TSA?

My daughter got me set of Kershaw items that included a nice little folder knife, a small flashlight, and a "tactical" pen. It is made of metal, has checkering around parts like a knife handle for gripping, and a cone shaped end that comes to a fairly sharp but shallow angle point. (Glass breaker?)

My question is: will the TSA actually let you board an airplane with a "tactical pen"? I'd much rather have that then nothing if somebody whipped out a boxcutter, etc., but I can't believe they would let anybody (not just us good guys" board with something so obviously designed as a weapon of sorts. (Yes, it does actually write!)

Anybody heard how this is working out?

Last edited by G26AZ; 12-26-2012 at 18:53.. Reason: spelling
G26AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 23:59   #2
bdcochran

next time, try google first

A TSO at Palm Beach International (Fla.) was working the X-ray machine when he came across an anomaly on the screen and called for a search of a passenger’s backpack. Inside, the responding Officer discovered a tactical pen, used commonly by law enforcement as a defense tool with its sharp aluminum-based point on one end and blunt portion on the other.

A Supervisory TSO confirmed that item was a prohibited item. The police responded and issued the passenger a criminal summons to appear in court – under the state statute – for carrying a concealed weapon. He was cleared for travel and there were no flight delays.”
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 00:23   #3
itsnitro
Got Sig?

Send a message via AIM to itsnitro
Lol tsa is something else..a quick Google searched showed me the pen is no more dangerous then a common car/house key..bet the charges are no-filed by the Sao.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Glock 26 - Sub Club #7797
Sig P226 - Sig Club #7797
Florida Glockers #7797
itsnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 00:27   #4
Happypuppy

IMO don't bother with the tactical pens. For some reason many makers insist on plastering their name on the barrel. Most of the time they are a well known firearm company

I use a zebra F-701 that is all stainless and very strong. It looks like pen, not a Kubotan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Happypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 16:01   #5
fastbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
IMO don't bother with the tactical pens. For some reason many makers insist on plastering their name on the barrel. Most of the time they are a well known firearm company

I use a zebra F-701 that is all stainless and very strong. It looks like pen, not a Kubotan.

I agree. I have one because I was given one by one of the gun companies. I have it in the car somewhere, I think.

Since I don't plan to have to be breaking glass with mine ( ), I've found it's easier to carry my Waterman pen (service award) or one of my regular pens. It's the skill and experience of the user I keep in mind. Having invested over 40 years in the martial arts, I was practicing with pens (and chopsticks) as expedient defensive weapons back in the early 70's.

Even back when I had a couple of Kobutan key fobs (young cop), I found the similarly-sized Parker capped pen was easier to carry, since it could be carried in a shirt/uniform pocket, and wasn't encumbered with keys. Worked as a pen, too.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 16:03   #6
lethal tupperwa

a bic pen works well

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER
lethal tupperwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 20:05   #7
TurboRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post

That's what I carry everyday.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

GT S&C - We know squat.
TurboRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 21:20   #8
bdcochran

Thanks Turborocket!
Old 12-27-2012, 22:34   #9
Mr. Blandings

Remember that after you carefully read the TSA's "prohibited item" lists that the final decision as to whether or not an item will be allowed past the checkpoint is up to the individual TSA screener/supervisor. They can, arbitrarily, declare that an item may not be carried through.

As I read somewhere, a TSA screener told a passenger with a "tactical" style item (pen, flashlight, etc), "We read the same catalogs you buys this stuff from. We know what it really is."

Thus, to avoid TSA entanglements avoid "tactical" items. They aren't James Bond secret. Everybody knows why you're carrying a pen that looks like a railroad spike.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
, Calibre Press, GLOCK,
, Andy Stanford,
Mr. Blandings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:36   #10
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

I also like the Zebra pens, I have a couple of the sold stainless ones that are both low profile and very stout.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 15:59   #11
PhilD

I have carried a Hinderer Extreme Duty pen through many airports with no issues. I usually put it in my laptop case next to a couple of "normal" pens. Never seen anyone even look twice at it.

Went through Palm Beach International a few times recently and no issues. Well apart from them telling me wait while they cleared my checked firearm and then forgetting about me for an hour :-D
PhilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 19:51   #12
bdcochran

thanks

Picked up two F-701s today.

Remember the following - you can buy anything that you want to buy for a friend, child or spouse. If that person is not action-oriented, doesn't understand OODA, and doesn't comprehend conditions white, yellow and red, you have wasted your money.
Old 12-28-2012, 20:11   #13
waawaaweenie

I have one on me and a couple more in my truck, plus they write well and don't explode when I go over high mountains. plus they look like a normal pen.
The Cutting Edge
waawaaweenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 20:26   #14
mj9mm

why bring a pen, my dad made it to Phoenix, to visit family, from Milwaukee, through Nasheville with an 8 inch filet knife in his jacket. my brother noticed it when he hung the jacket in his closet. honest, it's become a family legend because my sister works at airport and couldn't stop laughing when she heard about it
Old 12-29-2012, 10:28   #15
Officer's Match
S.R.D. v

I actually need to pick up a new ink pen. Where are you guys finding the F-701's?
btw, S.R.D. = Strategic Response Dog
Officer's Match is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:38   #16
TurboRocket

OM, I got mine at Staples for about $7. Meijer and Walmart carry other model Zebras, but I've not found the 701s there yet.

GT S&C - We know squat.

Last edited by TurboRocket; 12-29-2012 at 10:39..
TurboRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:48   #17
waawaaweenie

I usually get them from DiscountOfficeItems.com

http://www.discountofficeitems.com/o...nt/p63036.html

4.99 each
waawaaweenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:56   #18
Officer's Match
S.R.D. v

Thanks fella's.
btw, S.R.D. = Strategic Response Dog
Officer's Match is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 13:04   #19
PhilD

FWIW I've only ever been asked by TSA once what the Stinger is on my key chain, I told them it was a massage pressure tool.

The Cutting Edge
PhilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 13:37   #20
SpectreRider
Armed Citizen

Hi, PhilD.

Model/maker of the orange knife please?

Thanks- Brad
SpectreRider is offline   Reply With Quote