SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-27-2012, 19:41   #1
sjfrellc
CLM Number 92
Charter Lifetime Member

What do you remember about the 1994 ban?

Back in the days, everything was grandfathered. How long after 1994 were pre-ban magazines still sold by the major online retailers? I can't remember but I thought it was forever.
I think the 30 round magazine is the lightening rod of the antis vs. the pro 2As against te tyranny of the Govn't. Don't think they will be grandfathered next time around.
sjfrellc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 20:29   #2
Ruggles

1994 not a lot of anything sold on the internet.

Gun shows and gun shops were the main source. They were fairly plentiful in Houston at shows but were $100 or more a piece. The entire 1994 ban just sucked if you wanted anything over 10 rounds. All of your new handguns would come with 10 round mags. Felt wrong buying a Beretta 92 with a 10 round mags for example.

Of course that helped lead me to the 1911 platform so it did have it's upside

I do disagree with you they will be Grandfathered this time as well. I have not seen anything saying otherwise in any proposed legislation.

Last edited by Ruggles; 12-27-2012 at 20:30..
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 22:08   #3
bernie herd

Sig 229 .40 cal 12 round mags were $100 each then.
bernie herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 22:13   #4
20South

I remember Glock 20 Mags going for $125-$150.
Old 12-27-2012, 22:15   #5
Z28ricer

Send a message via AIM to Z28ricer
IIRC Glock "high cap" mags were around $80 ea in 2001ish ?

To be honest, about an hour after our idiots, err I mean presidents "speach" on the sandy shooting, I ordered 10 magpul 30s for myself, as well as the 2 my brother requested.
Z28ricer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 22:41   #6
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

The ugly thumbstock guns.
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 22:55   #7
cowboy1964

Yeah, there really were no online stores back then. I bought my extra mags at the local gun shop. HK USP mags were about $25 (before the ban, generally about $75-100 within a year or two after, IIRC).

Last edited by cowboy1964; 12-29-2012 at 01:44..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 23:01   #8
GAFinch

I remember seeing A2-style AR's on tv all through high school and went to buy one when I turned 18, not aware of all the particulars of the AWB (no internet back then), and the guy at the gun shop shook his head, told me the post-ban ones just weren't the same, and let me shoot a pre-ban AK rental a couple times so I could see what he meant.

Last edited by GAFinch; 12-27-2012 at 23:04..
GAFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 23:32   #9
spork
Caffeinator

I was able to use department letterhead for some of my mag needs, but as a collector I had to scrounge the market for everything else.

Pre-ban mags could range from 60 dollars (used 226 9mm) to $160 (rare G20 pre-bans).

Retailers like CDNN still had pre-ban mags for various pistol models on sale up until near the end of the ban, but they usually ran from $99 dollars and up.

Some were just hard to get no matter what. You just had to watch the auction sites and hit the gun shows.

As far as rifles, well that varied widely. Typical prices for most pre-ban rifles were double what they had been previous to the ban, but it could vary. Most any pre-ban rifle could still be found if one looked hard enough, but cost was a factor.
Old 12-28-2012, 00:21   #10
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

We have our own AWB which was enacted before the federal AWB and then updated throughout the years and it never expired so the federal AWB never impacted us really other than to limit available supplies outside of CA. Starting with the federal ban, newly manufactured magazines were banned, but we can still buy from existing stock.

I recall unscrupulous dealers, circa 1993-95, stealing mags out of gun boxes and selling customers the gun with only 1 mag and then charging $50-75 for the other mag(s) which were supposed to already come with the gun.

It got so bad, some of you may recall that Para-Ordnance, and some other gun brands, back then actually only shipped their guns with 1 mag and included a certificate for you to redeem up to 2 more mags with proof of purchase, e.g. receipt.

Then the same dealers figured out they would just "buy" the guns themselves, redeem the certificates for the mags, sell the guns as new since the customer never would know the difference, and not mention anything about the certificates, then sell the redeemed magazines for a profit, figuring most gun buyers probably wouldn't know about it, unless they read the gun magazines regularly.

Then in 2000, all mags over 10 rounds were banned, period, new or old. No manufacturing, importation, sales, allowed for anyone who is not exempt. Fully licensed FFL dealers had to get a separate "high capacity magazine" permit if they wanted to continue selling these mags to LE... who are basically the exempt people who can still buy regular capacity magazines.

Existing magazines legally acquired before the ban are all legal, but cannot be used in weapons which are CA compliant. So if you have a post-ban CA AR/AK or whatever evil rifle, you can't use any mag over 10 rounds or else you face a felony charge for "manufacturing" a new assault weapon under CA law. BTW, CA compliant evil rifle means the magazine is "locked" and cannot be ejected freely with the original magazine release.

CA people can still buy magazine "repair kits" of any capacity which are just magazines taken apart, and used to replace or repair existing legal magazines but if you put a kit together instead of using it as parts for an existing magazine, that is a felony as well. Yeah, go ahead and try to enforce that one.

Sorry for the long post... just wanted to get the information out to those who are in the free states as to what CA residents had to live with for more than a decade already.

One thing I remember is how the look of the AR's all changed with all the carbine uppers matched to full sized stock A2 lowers, without flash hiders and bayonet lugs. Totally retarded looking. The FN-FAL and the like came with thumb hole stocks, as did a lot of AK's. Man, it was an ugly period... sorta like the 70's, except for guns instead of fashion.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 00:48   #11
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
We have our own AWB which was enacted before the federal AWB and then updated throughout the years and it never expired so the federal AWB never impacted us really other than to limit available supplies outside of CA. Starting with the federal ban, newly manufactured magazines were banned, but we can still buy from existing stock.

I recall unscrupulous dealers, circa 1993-95, stealing mags out of gun boxes and selling customers the gun with only 1 mag and then charging $50-75 for the other mag(s) which were supposed to already come with the gun.

It got so bad, some of you may recall that Para-Ordnance, and some other gun brands, back then actually only shipped their guns with 1 mag and included a certificate for you to redeem up to 2 more mags with proof of purchase, e.g. receipt.

Then the same dealers figured out they would just "buy" the guns themselves, redeem the certificates for the mags, sell the guns as new since the customer never would know the difference, and not mention anything about the certificates, then sell the redeemed magazines for a profit, figuring most gun buyers probably wouldn't know about it, unless they read the gun magazines regularly.

Then in 2000, all mags over 10 rounds were banned, period, new or old. No manufacturing, importation, sales, allowed for anyone who is not exempt. Fully licensed FFL dealers had to get a separate "high capacity magazine" permit if they wanted to continue selling these mags to LE... who are basically the exempt people who can still buy regular capacity magazines.

Existing magazines legally acquired before the ban are all legal, but cannot be used in weapons which are CA compliant. So if you have a post-ban CA AR/AK or whatever evil rifle, you can't use any mag over 10 rounds or else you face a felony charge for "manufacturing" a new assault weapon under CA law. BTW, CA compliant evil rifle means the magazine is "locked" and cannot be ejected freely with the original magazine release.

CA people can still buy magazine "repair kits" of any capacity which are just magazines taken apart, and used to replace or repair existing legal magazines but if you put a kit together instead of using it as parts for an existing magazine, that is a felony as well. Yeah, go ahead and try to enforce that one.

Sorry for the long post... just wanted to get the information out to those who are in the free states as to what CA residents had to live with for more than a decade already.

One thing I remember is how the look of the AR's all changed with all the carbine uppers matched to full sized stock A2 lowers, without flash hiders and bayonet lugs. Totally retarded looking. The FN-FAL and the like came with thumb hole stocks, as did a lot of AK's. Man, it was an ugly period... sorta like the 70's, except for guns instead of fashion.
Oh yeah I remember that removing of the 2nd mag to resell by dealers as well. That sucked.
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:53   #12
countrygun

I remember that I wasn't allowed to buy a "new" AK with all those dangerous features and horrible high cap mag, but I was able to take my munificent stipend from a 6+ week long stint on jury duty on a major trial, and order a CETME in 7.62 NATO and all the 20 rd mags I wanted, but it was considered "safe" for some reason. Probably because they had removed the dangerous flash hider and replaced it with a muzzle brake, which allowed me to put rounds on target faster.

I never figured that out, I guess I am not the gun expert that the politicians are

Last edited by countrygun; 12-29-2012 at 00:39..
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:31   #13
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Glock 18 mags were selling for $300 at some gun shops.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:29   #14
collim1
Shower Time!

I remember lots of jams in my Beretta 92fs using the 10rd mags it came with.

I remember having to get the Sheriff to sign an authorization form stating that I was buying a gun or magazines for LE related work before I could order standard capacity magazines.

I remember paying $50 bucks for a pre ban 15rd Beretta magazine that had seen better days.

Most of all I remember seeing a convicted felon in possession of a fully automatic AK47 with 40rd magazines with no regard what so ever for the AWB laws he was breaking when he committed a robbery and led officers on a high speed chase.

The AWB was useless and made it difficult for lots of honest people to enjoy their favorite sport and protect themselves.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:51   #15
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post

I remember having to get the Sheriff to sign an authorization form stating that I was buying a gun or magazines for LE related work before I could order standard capacity magazines.

I remember paying $50 bucks for a pre ban 15rd Beretta magazine that had seen better days.

Most of all I remember seeing a convicted felon in possession of a fully automatic AK47 with 40rd magazines with no regard what so ever for the AWB laws he was breaking when he committed a robbery and led officers on a high speed chase.

The AWB was useless and made it difficult for lots of honest people to enjoy their favorite sport and protect themselves.
Yet the folks screaming for gun bans will never listen to any of this. They think the can wish guns away, and we will exist in a peaceful utopia.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:49   #16
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post

Oh yeah, I remember the exemption for LE and how a lot of stores have no idea how to administer it and some just asked to see your ID and others wanted a copy of the ID and some asked for official letterhead from Chief to authorize you to buy the magazines. Guess which stores got everyone's business?
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:54   #17
para40
curmudgeon

"What do you remember about the 1994 ban?"

Things were much much safer.
Old 12-28-2012, 15:12   #18
captcurly

Glock 19s with 10rd mags. The entire 1994 ban was a PIA for everybody and it did nothing to reduce crime. Just check the stats to verify this. I am just glad that I got all the mags and everything else I will need.

It is all about shot placement.
captcurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 15:22   #19
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

$600 + AR beta mags.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 15:26   #20
cpham9006

Nothing. I was 4 years old