Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:16   #1
Shark1007

Target Shooters Supply 9mm

Ordered 1K rounds Federal LE training 98 grain frangible free delivery 238.00 to the door!

Some online stores had the same for 350 bucks for 500 rounds. Sure is neat to have these little computers these days!

I think basic skills cal be honed with a 26 in 9mm and transferred to a .357sig or .40 cal at half the cost.

Now if I can resist buying another gun.
Shark1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:43   #2
Kentguy

Shark1007..."I think basic skills cal be honed with a 26 in 9mm and transferred to a .357sig or .40 cal at half the cost."

Best case scenario is to train with the guy/round that you are going to carry on you all the time. this way your muscle memory will be honed to that weapon. The same goes for training for a competition at your local club but ESPECIALLY with the gun that is going to one day save your life.

If cost is your real issue use the cheapest 357/40 you can find and practice with those. 9mm doesn't translate very well into 357 sig or .40 cal. when it come to reaction time and muscle memory. Two different animals.

Just my 2 cents...

Last edited by Kentguy; 12-28-2012 at 05:45..
Kentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 20:32   #3
Shark1007

Kentguy

Your 2 cents are appreciated and you are correct, it would be better to just shoot the caliber you carry. I've found that there are transferrable skills from one Glock to another and am just looking for budget cuts and thought I'd pass the good deal on to anyone interested. I feel like it's better to have more than less trigger time and with the current panic situation, was concerned about availability.

Sadly, since last night, Target has ceased all internet orders, they are so backed up. It was 0316 and I couldn't sleep when I posted.

I'm concerned as a million others about availability for future practice ammo. My friend at a range the other day told me he had such a run that he quit case sales for fear he couldn't sell ammo to range/rental folks.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-28-2012, 20:43   #4
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark1007 View Post
...I've found that there are transferrable skills from one Glock to another...

Does driving a station wagon to Piggily Wiggily make one ready for Formula One? They are both cars, right?

The recoil & report change things dramatically. I know several people who shoot 9mm's well but cannot overcome flinching when shooting a .40 S&W or .357 SIG with duty quality loads.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:52   #5
dukeblue91

I disagree to a certain point.
Yes recoil will be different as will be re aiming or timing of.
But all other things will work like draw aim and other muscle and reflex building.
Many people even do this with .22LR conversion kits to being able to afford shooting and keeping proficient with their guns.
dukeblue91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:57   #6
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

98gr. is a light load for a 9mm. tell us what the point of impact vs. point of aim is.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:15   #7
Shark1007

As to the serious question, I have shot the stuff before. It is advertised at 1240 fps, recoil easy, lead free frangible training round. At the ten yard distance, point of aim/impact were right on. I noticed no difference in this and the garden variety ball practice ammo.

Duke, I agree with you too. I just could never get into the .22 thing.

Tiro, how's the wagon running?
Old 12-29-2012, 09:40   #8
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentguy View Post
Shark1007..."I think basic skills cal be honed with a 26 in 9mm and transferred to a .357sig or .40 cal at half the cost."

Best case scenario is to train with the guy/round that you are going to carry on you all the time. this way your muscle memory will be honed to that weapon. The same goes for training for a competition at your local club but ESPECIALLY with the gun that is going to one day save your life.

If cost is your real issue use the cheapest 357/40 you can find and practice with those. 9mm doesn't translate very well into 357 sig or .40 cal. when it come to reaction time and muscle memory. Two different animals.

Just my 2 cents...
I am from Cleveland, and I remember the Kent State shootings.