SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:34   #1
W.E.G.

engaging the active shooter

engaging the active shooter.

I got this as part of an email today from Gabe Suarez.
(I am well aware of Mr. Suarez’s reputation and detractors on the internet – please focus on his message, and leave character-opinions out of any replies.)

As it pertains to the tactical response of the lone armed-citizen when confronted with an active shooter, I find it hard to disagree with one word of Mr. Suarez’s post.

Napoleon once said that a wise man learns from the mistakes of others. We can learn a great deal from what went wrong here can't we?

Here are some points for you to consider.

1). A pistol will win against a rifle IF the pistolero kills the rifleman before the rifleman sees him. Much of this has to do with tactics, but that should be part of your skill set.

2). If the pistolero fails to drop the rifleman due to an inoperative pistol, a miss, or insufficient damage caused by too few pistol rounds, the rifleman will probably kill the pistolero.

3). The surest way to stop a man in his tracks (with some permanence) is with a shot to the head delivered at close range. Some folks dislike teaching head shots. I require them.

4). Verbalizing or challenging, as in "Halt - Drop The Gun" is not a good idea. In fact, its virtual suicide in a situation like this. You cannot yell and shoot well at the same time, and yelling may alert the bad guy to your location. There is evidence that this occurred in Tacoma.

5). You verbalize and challenge ONLY when you are not certain of what is going on and then ONLY from behind solid cover (if the adversary is armed with a rifle, few things qualify as cover). If you have enough to justify shooting, then shut your trap and work the trigger.

6). There is a great deal of discussions on Defensive Shooting. Shooting in a case of this magnitude is only defensive in concept. It is pro-active and aggressive deliberate and premeditated shooting.

7). Although I like and teach point shooting (in its context), pro-active shooting like this requires traditional marksmanship. Be deliberate! Watch your front sight and press carefully and repeatedly (with your mouth shut).

8). Train with photographic targets and do force on force training. Get used to the idea that you carry your gun to potentially shoot at a human attacker. The more you get comfortable with this the easier it will be. Tommy Lee Jones' character in the movie, The Hunted, told his students that when you can kill in your mind, the physical part is easy. He's right.

9). Consider that under some circumstances you may have to make do with a knife. I'm not saying that you will attack a rifle man with your Spyderco at 50 yards, but that in the event that he is within arm's reach (which was the case with several of the Tacoma hostages) your knife may be the only thing between you and being killed. So learn how to kill with your knife.

10). Last, consider that there may be a reason why God (or fate if you wish) put you, armed and trained, at that very spot and place in time, with the ability to save innocents. This is the life-giving sword (or gun in this context) that some ancient warriors discussed in their writings.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 14:15   #2
Little Joe
Platinum Membership

Thanks for the read W.E.G.

LJ
Little Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 14:18   #3
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

I have no issues with the post.

Good points.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 17:35   #4
glock_collector

I agree 100%. The world needs more like em, what he says is true and to the point.
glock_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:26   #5
WT

"pro-active shooting like this requires traditional marksmanship. Be deliberate! Watch your front sight and press carefully"

Shazzam! If that don't sound like bullseye target shooting .....
WT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 18:37   #6
spcwes

Common sense in a world full of idiots is a dangerous yet effective tool. Nice post.
"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American perception that each individual is accountable for his/her actions." -Ronald Reagan-
spcwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 19:58   #7
Alias_Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post

(I am well aware of Mr. Suarez’s reputation and detractors on the internet – please focus on his message, and leave character-opinions out of any replies.)
Not a fair thing to ask.

I'm supposed to ignore his reputation, etc, etc, etc BUT read his informercial?
Alias_Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 20:33   #8
Doubletaps'Rus

I find anything preferable to watching innocents being mowed down.

I think that any of our high level trainers have to have a bit of the master showman in them. They have the skills, but it does at some level become a business and advertising is part of that. I can live with that.

It sounds on the whole to be practical advice.
“The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory.”
Doubletaps'Rus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:01   #9
Comedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias_Training View Post
Not a fair thing to ask.

I'm supposed to ignore his reputation, etc, etc, etc BUT read his informercial?
So your up on your high horse judging Gabe Suarez? You must be the first perfect person ever! How about you read the post and actually learn something?
Comedian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 14:06   #10
TRPguy

Doesn't sound bad at all
TRPguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 16:55   #11
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comedian View Post
So your up on your high horse judging Gabe Suarez? You must be the first perfect person ever! How about you read the post and actually learn something?

What are you, some kind of...

^ Sorry. I could not resist.

Last edited by Gallium; 01-02-2013 at 16:55..
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 17:02   #12
VinnieG

Good read.
VinnieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 17:20   #13
bikerdog

I really dont like gabe and more often than not I disagree with him. But this is a really well written article that is spot on.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 01-03-2013, 02:29   #14
Gray_Rider

Sounds like sound advice from someone who has been there and done that.

Gray_Rider
Old 01-12-2013, 06:48   #15
Snowman92D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Rider View Post
Sounds like sound advice from someone who has been there and done that.
Assuming he really has BTDT, of course.
Snowman92D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:24   #16
gunslinger g21

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post

As it pertains to the tactical response of the lone armed-citizen when confronted with an active shooter, I find it hard to disagree with one word of Mr. Suarez’s post.

Napoleon once said that a wise man learns from the mistakes of others. We can learn a great deal from what went wrong here can't we?

Here are some points for you to consider.

1). A pistol will win against a rifle IF the pistolero kills the rifleman before the rifleman sees him. Much of this has to do with tactics, but that should be part of your skill set.

2). If the pistolero fails to drop the rifleman due to an inoperative pistol, a miss, or insufficient damage caused by too few pistol rounds, the rifleman will probably kill the pistolero.

3). The surest way to stop a man in his tracks (with some permanence) is with a shot to the head delivered at close range. Some folks dislike teaching head shots. I require them.

4). Verbalizing or challenging, as in "Halt - Drop The Gun" is not a good idea. In fact, its virtual suicide in a situation like this. You cannot yell and shoot well at the same time, and yelling may alert the bad guy to your location. There is evidence that this occurred in Tacoma.

5). You verbalize and challenge ONLY when you are not certain of what is going on and then ONLY from behind solid cover (if the adversary is armed with a rifle, few things qualify as cover). If you have enough to justify shooting, then shut your trap and work the trigger.

6). There is a great deal of discussions on Defensive Shooting. Shooting in a case of this magnitude is only defensive in concept. It is pro-active and aggressive deliberate and premeditated shooting.

7). Although I like and teach point shooting (in its context), pro-active shooting like this requires traditional marksmanship. Be deliberate! Watch your front sight and press carefully and repeatedly (with your mouth shut).

8). Train with photographic targets and do force on force training. Get used to the idea that you carry your gun to potentially shoot at a human attacker. The more you get comfortable with this the easier it will be. Tommy Lee Jones' character in the movie, The Hunted, told his students that when you can kill in your mind, the physical part is easy. He's right.

9). Consider that under some circumstances you may have to make do with a knife. I'm not saying that you will attack a rifle man with your Spyderco at 50 yards, but that in the event that he is within arm's reach (which was the case with several of the Tacoma hostages) your knife may be the only thing between you and being killed. So learn how to kill with your knife.

10). Last, consider that there may be a reason why God (or fate if you wish) put you, armed and trained, at that very spot and place in time, with the ability to save innocents. This is the life-giving sword (or gun in this context) that some ancient warriors discussed in their writings.

This is good. Training VS. practice. Shootong bullseyes from a fixed loccation is marksmanship. Multi human shooter and no shoot targets, running your gun and body hard is training. M-O-V-E Motionless-Operators-Venalate-Easily. Go to a good school each year, or as many as posible. The head shot should be in the brain stem, base of neck to disable CNS signals directly at the spine. If in front aim at the nose. Don't make yourself a target by yelling or screaming (the battle cry will get you shot in this situation).
gunslinger g21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:49   #17
sigman69

good points
Old 01-26-2013, 05:51   #18
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

This information is...deleted.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy
Proverbs 21:31 The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but victory is of the LORD.

"I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive at death safely."

Last edited by happyguy; 01-26-2013 at 05:53..
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 15:10   #19
nice shot

This was one of the single most important things I have read on the net. Extremely well written.

Posted using [URL=http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/]Outdoor Hub Campfire[/URL]
nice shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 15:24   #20
GIG4FUN

enjoyed the read once more
, thanks for posting here

I've done my best to think along these lines for a long time
SArmory XDm.45compact - H&K .45c / NRA member
S&W & Browning & Ruger & Winchester & Remington

Last edited by GIG4FUN; 02-03-2013 at 15:24..
GIG4FUN is offline   Reply With Quote