Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-24-2012, 13:35   #51
Random
AtticRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
That happens fairly regularly, at least firefighters being fired at because a gang banger needs his victim to expire and the meat wagon is wanting to take him away still breathing.
Now see, THAT'S what I would expect. That makes sense to me. You show up to help. Someone on the scene doesn't want you to and things go TI. I've been drawn on by people wanting us to not help an injured party. I've had people try to threaten us for NOT helping an injured person when the scene wasn't safe yet. I had a guy 'strongly urge' me to not put a fire out. I've never been specifically pulled into a trap designed to target me. In all of those calls there was always an injured 3rd party. I was never a primary target. I doubt I would fare well in that kind of scenario. Don't know if I can switch gears that fast.
Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 13:36   #52
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
That audio is terrifying!

They were pinned down by a murdererer using what the Fire Officer described as an assault rifle.
Terrifying indeed. Can you imagine the thoughts they must have had while being pinned down? I'm sure one thought was whether they would be making it home to their families.

Again, RIP guys. Crazy, man, crazy!

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.

Last edited by Patchman; 12-24-2012 at 13:37..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 13:42   #53
havensal
CLM Number 216
Nozzle Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random View Post
Don't know if I can switch gears that fast.
That's the scary part. With adrenaline running high, I don't know if I could even recognize the danger in time to protect those under my command. Another unnecessary risk I have to protect my firefighters from. Truly scary!! Maybe it's time I mount my AR next to my turnout bag. (Only half serious)
RTN Bodyguard Club #034 "FearMyLaserLytes"
havensal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 13:55   #54
Random
AtticRat

During Katrina there was a point where the Chief authorized everyone in the firehouse whose homes were still accessible to return home to retrieve their firearms. No one went home. 3 guys went out to their trucks. 2 guys just walked over to their lockers. Fire Chief /facepalm.
Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 13:56   #55
oldman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by havensal View Post
That's the scary part. With adrenaline running high, I don't know if I could even recognize the danger in time to protect those under my command. Another unnecessary risk I have to protect my firefighters from. Truly scary!! Maybe it's time I mount my AR next to my turnout bag. (Only half serious)
You may have been only half serious but I think you need to get "full serious". I am surprised that police didn't respond with firemen when they originally arrived.
oldman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 13:58   #56
sourdough44

The shooter sounds like an felon with mental issues, a bad combination. Just crazy is all I can say.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 15:06   #57
SCHADENFREUDE

Just was on the local news that he was just released from prison for killing his grandmother. Apparently you only get 17 years for beating granny to death in this great state.
SCHADENFREUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 15:08   #58
havensal
CLM Number 216
Nozzle Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman11 View Post
You may have been only half serious but I think you need to get "full serious". I am surprised that police didn't respond with firemen when they originally arrived.
In this area they secure the scene before we arrive, but only if there is any indication of safety issues. Otherwise they are there but we don't wait for them. It will cost lives and property if that changes after this.
RTN Bodyguard Club #034 "FearMyLaserLytes"
havensal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 15:13   #59
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Damn, just damn. Prayers sent for the victis and families.

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

RIP my friends Greg and Florence, see you again on the other side.
RIP Jeff (23Skidoo) - 1962-2012 and Gloria (Silent_Runner) - 1964-2013
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Lone_Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 15:38   #60
Trapped_in_Kali

The Okie Corral
Trapped_in_Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 16:15   #61
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter7 View Post
Shooter was convicted of killing his grandmother in 1981. Was out on parole. Two Firefighters killed, others injured. Seven homes destroyed. Absolutely horrific. What has this world come to?
Locking murderers up for life would be a good start to ensuring safety for the rest of us.
ithaca_deerslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 16:26   #62
Little Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHADENFREUDE View Post
Just was on the local news that he was just released from prison for killing his grandmother. Apparently you only get 17 years for beating granny to death in this great state.
Plea bargained down to manslaughter.
Little Joe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 16:37   #63
Restless28

It appears that this murdering coward set fire to a car to lure the Fire Department into a killing zone. It must have seemed like an eternity for the guys who were pinned down before the police arrived.

I just don't see how a FD can prepare for a situation like this. It almost sounds like something a terrorist would come up with.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 16:38   #64
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
It appears that this murdering coward set fire to a car to lure the Fire Department into a killing zone. It must have seemed like an eternity for the guys who were pinned down before the police arrived.

I just don't see how a FD can prepare for a situation like this. It almost sounds like something a terrorist would come up with.
Any word as to the motive? And why lure FD as opposed to PD? Or did the killer simply screw up as to what to use as lure?

Curiouser and curiouser.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.

Last edited by Patchman; 12-24-2012 at 16:41..
Old 12-24-2012, 16:47   #65
Restless28

WHEC TV in Rochester says that no motive has been found, but that the murdering coward's sister is unaccounted for. He was shooting from a berm. It was a trap.

The names have been released too. Lt. Mike Chiapperini who was killed was also a Lt. in the PD. He was named Firefighter of the Year 2 weeks ago.

Firefighter Tomasz Kaczowka was also killed. He was also a 911 Dispatcher and had joined the FD a little over a year ago.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 16:53   #66
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

the system and laws failed those men and their families, again.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 17:02   #67
onebigelf

This will be made to be about the gun, not about the fact that the system released on parole after serving only 17 years a man who beat his 92 year old grandmother to death with a hammer.

The issue is everything BUT the gun or guns that were used, but that is what we'll hear about and that is what they'll want to do something about.

These stories aren't unique, but there is a BIG push in the media right now to publicize nationally ALL stories of gun violence to drum up support for new gun laws.

It's no longer cheap, but buy it and stack it. We're going to need it.

John
onebigelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 18:37   #68
Caver 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAlE View Post
So how'd this guy get his guns?
I thought a felon could not purchase a gun? Didn't that law work? Sarcasm off.

Tragic situation. Thoughts and prayers for the victims families.
Caver 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 18:44   #69
TheExplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caver 60 View Post
I thought a felon could not purchase a gun? Didn't that law work? Sarcasm off.
I bet it's the first time it ever happened.
TheExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 19:48   #70
jrpro130

This is an extremely unfortunate situation.

I doubt they will arm firefighters in my lifetime. The closest we got is Swat medic but in reality on a fire scene there would be no way to carry with bunker gear on. Not to mention I wonder the melting point of polymer? Our live burns get to roughly 700*F

I'm on duty tonight and this was a topic of conversation. Some of the neighborhood I serve is less than desirable so to speak. It's always a worry in the back of our head even on medical calls. Truly sad RIP my brothers.

Should be wrenching instead of using TapaTalk
Old 12-24-2012, 19:53   #71
Patchman
Florist

When they say "armed" I assume guns on the rigs. In addition to guns melting, the ammo will cook off also.

Old 12-24-2012, 20:48   #72
Spiffums
I.C.P.

The media splashes stories all over the air waves and the crazies come out at the holidays.
Old 12-24-2012, 21:10   #73
Pwhfirefighter

Rest in peace, my brothers. Prayers for all the families of the deceased, wounded, and the all rest of the first responders.

And prayers for all the first responders (FIRE, LEO, EMS, and anyone else) who I know will continue to answer the call throughout this nation.
Pwhfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 21:12   #74
KY Moose

RTF - Remember the Fallen
The concentrating [of powers] in the same hands is precisely the definition of despotic government. It will be no alleviation that these powers will be exercised by a plurality of hands, and not by a single one. - Thomas Jefferson
KY Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 21:20   #75
fireguy129
NRA Member 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
When they say "armed" I assume guns on the rigs. In addition to guns melting, the ammo will cook off also.
If ammo on my belt, next to my skin an under my bunkers is cooking off, I've got other things to contend with.....
fireguy129 is offline   Reply With Quote