Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:08   #41
steveksux
Massive Member

Detroit Public School system has it's own police department, complete with a few K-9s, sworn officers, cars, the works.

Randy

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:11   #42
DoogieHowser
Eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
Jefferson County Public Schools has sworn officers that patrol the schools after hours, but are not allowed to carry weapons per school board policy. This is in addition to the (relatively new; 10 years or so) SROs; I don't think every school even at the middle and high school level have SROs, though.

They go through the full regular police academy like any other LEO in the state, including using weapons in the academy, but don't have them when they start working. Makes a lot of sense, I know.

My idea for here, at least, would be to arm those folks that patrol, and have armed school "special police", basically security officers sworn as "Special Law Enforcement Officers" under state law, to be in the schools, at least one for EVERY school, during the hours they're occupied.
How can a board dictate policy to a a sworn police officer? They are exempt from that nonsense. We have the SCoP program here in VA Special Conservators of the Peace, we also have a new one they are rolling out specifically for Campus Cops.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:29   #43
billn

Cops are already in about a 1/2 of our schools now. I had one when going to school in the 70.
billn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:54   #44
trdvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoogieHowser View Post
How can a board dictate policy to a a sworn police officer?
Probably because they work for the school board. We have school police here and they have all sorts of silly policies. The Chief answers to the superintendent and the officers answer to the principals and the chief.
Disclaimer: The opinions given DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. By viewing this post you agree to indemnify myself and my employing agency and hold them harmless from all claims and damages.
trdvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:34   #45
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedo1 View Post
Nice lady but let's just say I wouldn't want to come home late w/o a good excuse if we were married Kind of a "looks good kill" demeanor without trying.
You know the rules....

lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:16   #46
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoogieHowser View Post
How can a board dictate policy to a a sworn police officer? They are exempt from that nonsense. We have the SCoP program here in VA Special Conservators of the Peace, we also have a new one they are rolling out specifically for Campus Cops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdvet View Post
Probably because they work for the school board. We have school police here and they have all sorts of silly policies. The Chief answers to the superintendent and the officers answer to the principals and the chief.
Exactly; they are employed by the school board, so the school board sets their policies.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:19   #47
I'M Glockamolie

Around here, many school districts have their own police departments, anywhere from Houston ISD down to some pretty small ISDs. All the ones I've seen are fully-equipped and drive patrol cars. Even teachers and school admin haven't fully gone the way of hand-wringing libtardedness in Texas...yet.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:37   #48
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
Exactly; they are employed by the school board, so the school board sets their policies.
Very bad idea forming a police department under educators. It would be like forming a police department under a bunch of scientists. It is not that they are not knowledgeable, but they don't think the correct way to run a police department.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:01   #49
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
Very bad idea forming a police department under educators. It would be like forming a police department under a bunch of scientists. It is not that they are not knowledgeable, but they don't think the correct way to run a police department.
I agree, having worked for a private university public safety department in the past; some of the things they want are ridiculous, inconsistant, unsafe, sometimes illegal, and just plain stupid!

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:04   #50
trdvet

Quote:
You just described 99.99% of college PDs.
Disclaimer: The opinions given DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. By viewing this post you agree to indemnify myself and my employing agency and hold them harmless from all claims and damages.
trdvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:17   #51
Ship A'Hoy
Trigger Control

Pittsburgh has a School Police department but they are not armed.
Speed is fine, accuracy is final.
Ship A'Hoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 13:40   #52
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdvet View Post
You just described 99.99% of college PDs.
At a college level, you might have a better chance, but at a school board level, NO way.
Old 12-24-2012, 16:00   #53
Ship A'Hoy
Trigger Control

School Obama's Daughters Attend Has 11 Armed Guards

The school, Sidwell Friends School in Washington, DC, has 11 security officers and is seeking to hire a new police officer as we speak.

If you dismiss this by saying, "Of course they have armed guards -- they get Secret Service protection," then you've missed the larger point.

The larger point is that this is standard operating procedure for the school, period. And this is the reason people like NBC's David Gregory send their kids to Sidwell, they know their kids will be protected from the carnage that befell kids at a school where armed guards weren't used (and weren't even allowed).

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...Secret-Service
Speed is fine, accuracy is final.
Ship A'Hoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 18:52   #54
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Depends on the administration who are responsible. I've seen some really good ones run by those who know the business as they are retired cops who went into education or those who know better and hire good chiefs and let them run it the way a police department should be run and stay out of it while they tend to education.

Unfortunately, those are the exceptions and not the rule.
Old 12-24-2012, 18:55   #55
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
At a college level, you might have a better chance, but at a school board level, NO way.
Negative around these parts.

School (K-12) police have better equipment and resources than a lot of the little community college police and the big public university police agencies are pretty good too like the UC or CSU system but private colleges cannot have police in CA.

More than a few community college police are not armed or barely get to do any policing because they have no resources since they only cover 1 or 2 relatively small campuses compared to some school districts here which are bigger than cities.
Old 12-26-2012, 19:44   #56
e847fy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship A'Hoy View Post
School Obama's Daughters Attend Has 11 Armed Guards

The school, Sidwell Friends School in Washington, DC, has 11 security officers and is seeking to hire a new police officer as we speak.

If you dismiss this by saying, "Of course they have armed guards -- they get Secret Service protection," then you've missed the larger point.

The larger point is that this is standard operating procedure for the school, period. And this is the reason people like NBC's David Gregory send their kids to Sidwell, they know their kids will be protected from the carnage that befell kids at a school where armed guards weren't used (and weren't even allowed).

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...Secret-Service
Schools in D.C have police from MPD in them already. High school and Jr. High
e847fy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 21:51   #57
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
Negative around these parts.

School (K-12) police have better equipment and resources than a lot of the little community college police and the big public university police agencies are pretty good too like the UC or CSU system but private colleges cannot have police in CA.

More than a few community college police are not armed or barely get to do any policing because they have no resources since they only cover 1 or 2 relatively small campuses compared to some school districts here which are bigger than cities.
The community college I attended only had unarmed security. A group of us tried to get them to be armed, but we were told there was no reason to scare people with guns. This was, at the time (and probably still is) the most affluent community college in the State.
nikerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:10   #58
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikerret View Post
the most affluent community college in the State.
What is an "affluent" community college?

In CA, community colleges are pretty much a step above public K-12 in terms of prestige... private academies are where it's at.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:35   #59
merlynusn

Just for amusements sake...

The Democrats are all aghast at the NRA's suggestion to put an armed police officer in every school. How dare the NRA say that we need to put more guns in our schools.

Well that bastion of liberalism, Sen. Barbara Boxer wants to activate the National Guard and put them in the schools to protect them. http://www.latimes.com/news/politics...,7530900.story

Hypocrite much?
merlynusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:57   #60
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated

Hasn't that stupid crap for brains ever seen "The Seige"?

"He'd look better with lividity" - BlueIron

Black Rifle Club - RRA-PSG
S&W Club - 22227
volsbear is offline   Reply With Quote