Originally Posted by wolf19r View Post
Im thinking make a lever action 5.56. But anyways my good old 870
How about a pump action 5.56?
Black Rifle Forum
Black Rifle Forum

Old 12-23-2012, 13:20   #53
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog

David killed Goliath with a sling, not a slingshot, which is an entirely different animal.

Having come under fire from some Arabs with them on the Lebanese border of Israel, they're no joke. Anyone without a helmet (like I was) and half the guys WITH helmets could have been killed if those idiots had any accuracy. They were hurling cobblestone size rocks at 50-100m. The IDF was shooting back with rubber bullets. That was nice, because the Arabs were going for the lethal option, and I'd have just shot them.

David was using the smaller golfball sized rocks going by the descriptions, with serious accuracy and lethality. The Roman army used slingers with lead or fired-clay "bullets" for the same reason. Against a massed target (think rioting mob) what's basically a patch of leather and two strings can effectively deter or injure people at short rifle distances...accurately, with practice. Even lethal option if it came down to it. I don't think we're going to have a new magazine called Slings & Spears Weekly, but remember it's not weapons that are dangerous, it's people and their minds.

Technology and training go hand in hand. If semiautos got banned, we'd be using 100 year old technology with current optics and options and training. A good man with a bolt action can seriously raise hell. It wouldn't be as easy or as 'cool' as a modern AR, but a rifleman with a bolt or levergun teamed with a second person with a shotgun has pretty much all the bases covered.

Same thing armies did in the 40s and 50s, having 2-3 guys with SMGs and a squad of guys with bolt guns are semiautos to cover close and long range.

Ruger wouldn't be the only one building Scout-ish rifles in that instance, and there'd be a resurgence of popularity in leverguns, whether traditional tube feds or the '95 Winchester/Savage 99/BLR mag fed types.

A .308, 7mm-08, .270, any of the medium 7mm sized rounds, topped with aperature sights and an Aimpoint or fixed 2X would be the apex of WW1-WW2 technology level fighting rifles w/o going to a semiauto action. It'd be back to slightly heavier calibers and trying to ensure a first round hit was a channel changer, rather than multiple smaller caliber hits, fast in the same place.

Your average .30-30 or .357 levergun will still defend a house quite well, especially with modern updates (XS sights, a weaponlight) if it comes down to it.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."

Last edited by MrMurphy; 12-23-2012 at 13:25..
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 14:53   #54
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
David killed Goliath with a sling, not a slingshot, which is an entirely different animal.

Having come under fire from some Arabs with them on the Lebanese border of Israel, they're no joke. Anyone without a helmet (like I was) and half the guys WITH helmets could have been killed if those idiots had any accuracy. They were hurling cobblestone size rocks at 50-100m. The IDF was shooting back with rubber bullets. That was nice, because the Arabs were going for the lethal option, and I'd have just shot them.

David was using the smaller golfball sized rocks going by the descriptions, with serious accuracy and lethality. The Roman army used slingers with lead or fired-clay "bullets" for the same reason. Against a massed target (think rioting mob) what's basically a patch of leather and two strings can effectively deter or injure people at short rifle distances...accurately, with practice. Even lethal option if it came down to it. I don't think we're going to have a new magazine called Slings & Spears Weekly, but remember it's not weapons that are dangerous, it's people and their minds.

Technology and training go hand in hand. If semiautos got banned, we'd be using 100 year old technology with current optics and options and training. A good man with a bolt action can seriously raise hell. It wouldn't be as easy or as 'cool' as a modern AR, but a rifleman with a bolt or levergun teamed with a second person with a shotgun has pretty much all the bases covered.

Same thing armies did in the 40s and 50s, having 2-3 guys with SMGs and a squad of guys with bolt guns are semiautos to cover close and long range.

Ruger wouldn't be the only one building Scout-ish rifles in that instance, and there'd be a resurgence of popularity in leverguns, whether traditional tube feds or the '95 Winchester/Savage 99/BLR mag fed types.

A .308, 7mm-08, .270, any of the medium 7mm sized rounds, topped with aperature sights and an Aimpoint or fixed 2X would be the apex of WW1-WW2 technology level fighting rifles w/o going to a semiauto action. It'd be back to slightly heavier calibers and trying to ensure a first round hit was a channel changer, rather than multiple smaller caliber hits, fast in the same place.

Your average .30-30 or .357 levergun will still defend a house quite well, especially with modern updates (XS sights, a weaponlight) if it comes down to it.
Yup you got it all info right.

A squadron of Marines became the devil dogs back in 1918 when they killed an offensive German army in a short range with their 1903A2 rifles. Germans were in fearful of those devil dogs because they could clean an army in a long range. Go marines!
Glock30Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 15:05   #55
Firefightermdc

Banned and ill keep my ar

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-23-2012, 16:55   #56
nipperwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockdude1 View Post
How about a pump action 5.56?
Love mine!

Black Rifle Forum

Quote:
We've gone from Socrates, to Snooki.
Ducky, NCIS
nipperwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 17:18   #57
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipperwolf View Post
Love mine!

Black Rifle Forum

I have never shot one. How is the accuracy?

Fav loads?
Old 12-23-2012, 18:29   #58
Kirishiac

M1a, but I might have to remove the "evil" flash hider.
Kirishiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 19:11   #59
darkparadox

Going to pretend it's a ban on all semi auto rifles.

Marlin 336 30/30 likely with a 1-4 variable power optic and a light.

k31 for around the house

A lightweight bolt action 308 16-18 inch barrel with detachable magazine would be my go to SHTF rifle.
darkparadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 19:11   #60
nipperwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockdude1 View Post

I have never shot one. How is the accuracy?
Excillent. Fixed, free floated barrel. Heres a couple scoped groups at 50yds with Black Hills Match;

Black Rifle Forum

Quote:
Ducky, NCIS
Old 12-23-2012, 19:16   #61
nipperwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirishiac View Post
M1a, but I might have to remove the "evil" flash hider.
You're assuming the next proposed ban, will be like the last one.

Quote:
Ducky, NCIS
Old 12-23-2012, 19:17   #62
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
You're assuming the next proposed ban will even make it out of committee, much less pass the House.

Fixed your post for you.
Old 12-23-2012, 22:23   #63
skeeter1959

Not that it would happen, but I'd get a .338 lapua or a .308 sniper rifle with great optics.

When it's time to hide the EBRs, it's time to use them.
skeeter1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 22:28   #64
WarEagle32

I like a ton of others hypothetically of course would just keep my AR's and AK's. If I had to pick out of the non banned guns at the time it would be between a Mini 30 or mini 14 that I will buy, then augment that with the Mossberg 590 marinkote that I already have.
WarEagle32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:14   #65
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Excillent. Fixed, free floated barrel. Heres a couple scoped groups at 50yds with Black Hills Match;

Black Rifle Forum
Very nice.
Old 12-24-2012, 15:58   #66
Calvis

Moss pump, Marlin '94C, my Glock 40s....under your hypothetical
Calvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 18:09   #67
GLOCK2130

I will not legitimize an illegal or immoral law period , quite frankly I am saddened at some of the answers I've seen here . If they come to Illegaly confinscate your arms in violation of the constitution it is your duty and obligation to refuse,

If ya wanna Rock get a GLOCK!
I dont wanna get killed for lack of shootin back!

Last edited by GLOCK2130; 12-24-2012 at 18:35..
GLOCK2130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 18:23   #68
nipperwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCK2130 View Post
I will not legitimize an illegal or immoral law period , quite frankly I am saddened at some of the answers I've seen here . If they come to Illegaly confinscate your arms in violation of the constitution it is your duty and obligation to refuse, and your only response should be to give them your bullets........... pointy end first!
Thanks for getting the tread closed dum****

Quote:
Ducky, NCIS
Old 12-24-2012, 18:39   #69
Mr Spock
Vulcan

Just for the hypothetical... I'd have to go with my Mossberg M590a1 for home defense (same job it has now - 9 rounds of 00 buck will take care of just about ANY home defense problems short of an entire platoon).

For an offensive battle rifle/hunting rifle/all around rifle, I'd go for a M1 Garand that I'd "ruin" with a really nice modern optic, maybe a new barrel, and that'd be that. It'd be more accurate than I'd ever need, and I'd wager that with a Garand and 1 extra clip I'd be able to inflict about as much damage as twice that number of rounds from an AR, and from a longer distance.

The previous generation of battle rifles were called battle rifles for a reason...
Mr Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 18:43   #70
PrecisionRifleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
What, no one has recommended a 12 gauge pump yet?? There are some that think that rules NOW, even before a assault rifle ban.
+1 I have much love for my 12 gauge 870P.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

G20SF
Gen4 G23
PrecisionRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 18:44   #71
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

Quote:
I will not legitimize an illegal or immoral law period , quite frankly I am saddened at some of the answers I've seen here . If they come to Illegaly confinscate your arms in violation of the constitution it is your duty and obligation to refuse,
Where have you been? More than 60% of Americans aren't doing anything with many of President's EOs, Obamacare, Fast n furious, eric? If they allowed those to happen then I won't be surprised if the US Govt will take our gun rights away. It is building to that point.
Glock30Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 18:52   #72
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Quote:
I will not legitimize an illegal or immoral law period , quite frankly I am saddened at some of the answers I've seen here . If they come to Illegaly confinscate your arms in violation of the constitution it is your duty and obligation to refuse, and your only response should be to give them your bullets........... pointy end first!
Why did ya edit it.........?
faawrenchbndr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 18:56   #73
bmoore

Quote:
Love mine!

Black Rifle Forum

I have always really liked those. Seem like a handy rifle for someone with a ranch/property and likes the traditional style.

Last edited by bmoore; 12-24-2012 at 18:57..
bmoore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 19:10   #74
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
When my evil guns are outlawed I will become an outlaw!
As Stephen F. Roberts so famously said speaking with a Christian apologist "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
Dalton Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:01   #75
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionRifleman View Post
+1 I have much love for my 12 gauge 870P.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
I mentioned a pump shotgun or semi auto shotgun way back because I am cool like that.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote