Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-21-2012, 19:30   #21
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

My high school (Johnson County, KS; aka, affluent) had two LEO's eployed by the school district's PD and one from the City PD. The City PD guy had a take-hone he parked out front. The others drove their POV's. They were assigned to that high school only. Every high school I went to had at least two or three full-sworn LEO's. They carried their equipment, too.

My middle school in the 90's had a dedicated City PD Officer, but one was not enough to even put a damper on what went on there.
nikerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 20:06   #22
akapennypincher
Glock-O-Holic

The Los Angeles City School District, and the Los Angeles Community College District both have a FULL TIME POLICE Departments since like the 1970's. Think the Colleges are now policed by LASD.

A very good friend worked for the City School District, and was a Full Time Cops at one of the High Schools in LA.

He wore a Coat & Tie to bled in like the other staff, but being very truthful it was not a Coat & Tie job. Now they are in uniform.

Last edited by akapennypincher; 12-21-2012 at 20:07..
akapennypincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 23:40   #23
trdvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron View Post
The Education mafia is overwhelming hard left. They do not care for the police or what the police represent. Firearms are not welcome, no matter who wields them.
This. They don't want scary guns on campus and be thought of as a problem school.
Disclaimer: The opinions given DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. By viewing this post you agree to indemnify myself and my employing agency and hold them harmless from all claims and damages.
trdvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 23:43   #24
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by akapennypincher View Post
The Los Angeles City School District, and the Los Angeles Community College District both have a FULL TIME POLICE Departments since like the 1970's. Think the Colleges are now policed by LASD.

A very good friend worked for the City School District, and was a Full Time Cops at one of the High Schools in LA.

He wore a Coat & Tie to bled in like the other staff, but being very truthful it was not a Coat & Tie job. Now they are in uniform.
LAUSD Police is a full sized and full service PD which numbers around the low 3 hundreds in sworn strength, making them one of the bigger departments around. They have detectives, K9, motors, SRT, patrol, and SRO programs. I got a few buddies there and they like the gig.

LACCD has been taken over by LASD and they have deputies on those campuses along with non-sworn LA County security which are armed, but wear white uniforms.

I did my stint as a SRO at a high school for a few months and was on call as back up SRO while on patrol for days when the SRO was off. Good stuff and admin mostly supported us when we had to do our job. It was mostly high visibility and low activity but when SHTF, it hit the fan... being 1 officer on a campus of a few thousand teens when they decide to riot wasn't fun.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 00:00   #25
CW Mock

So there I was this morning backed up on paper from the blizzard we had the last two days. Trying to be good little cops, my shift partner and I go park by a local elementary school to be seen, do reports, chat with the kids and basically be a deterrent to any whacko with a copycat/end of the world fetish ...

Then here comes the principal, her knickers all twisted up. She tells us that she doesn't want the police there being visible, it sends the wrong message, etc ... Truth is I zoned out, as her mere presence drained my IQ to the point it was hard to remember to breathe. My buddy and I didn't know if she was kidding and just lousy at telling jokes or serious. Turns out she was serious.

Anyways, we ended up moving down the street a ways to get her to shut up and leave. Several parents passing by said they were glad to see us there. I wonder if they know the school principals feelings.

Oh well. Guess Super Duper Principal can use a stapler and cell phone if anything goes down there.
CW Mock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 00:09   #26
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW Mock View Post
So there I was this morning backed up on paper from the blizzard we had the last two days. Trying to be good little cops, my shift partner and I go park by a local elementary school to be seen, do reports, chat with the kids and basically be a deterrent to any whacko with a copycat/end of the world fetish ...

Then here comes the principal, her knickers all twisted up. She tells us that she doesn't want the police there being visible, it sends the wrong message, etc ... Truth is I zoned out, as her mere presence drained my IQ to the point it was hard to remember to breathe. My buddy and I didn't know if she was kidding and just lousy at telling jokes or serious. Turns out she was serious.

Anyways, we ended up moving down the street a ways to get her to shut up and leave. Several parents passing by said they were glad to see us there. I wonder if they know the school principals feelings.

Oh well. Guess Super Duper Principal can use a stapler and cell phone if anything goes down there.
Lucky our principals here love us and want us around. They call the chief and ask if we can go around their sites more often or just stay there and help them with traffic.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:46   #27
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:

You know, I would love to be able, in your position there, to tell her to take a flying eff at a rolling doughnut, and just sit there and continue with what I was doing, and get backed up by administration on it.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.

Last edited by CJStudent; 12-22-2012 at 06:47..
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:44   #28
Ship A'Hoy
Trigger Control

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."
Speed is fine, accuracy is final.
Ship A'Hoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:59   #29
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
You know, I would love to be able, in your position there, to tell her to take a flying eff at a rolling doughnut, and just sit there and continue with what I was doing, and get backed up by administration on it.
That is what i appreciated about my Chief. I'd have told her that when I started caring about what she thought I would let her know and I would park wherever I wanted to.

If she were stupid enough to storm off to call the chief he would have told her the same thing only less politely.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:32   #30
merlynusn

Every Middle and High School in the county has an assigned SRO. The elementary schools don't because they don't really have problem kids, etc. I imagine that patrols around them will increase for the near future, then fade away as the memory fades.
merlynusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:44   #31
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
I would rather politely tell her, "Sir, please back away from the vehicle. Your manly odor is giving me headaches."

Then I would kick her in the ding ding just like she was impersonating an operator.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:58   #32
WT

Our local high school has a police officer assigned to it. He wears his uniform, vest, badge and carries a gun. His CV is parked in front of the building.

Prior to being assigned to a school officers must take a one week (40 hr) course at the police academy on how to be a SRO. Then another SRO acts as a FTO for awhile.

It's worked out rather well. The officer has to exercise good judgement between enforcing the law and mere school discipline. Most kids get along with him.

PS: a local school system just announced that come January 2 they will have police officers stationed at their schools. They say it will be expensive but necessary for the protection of students. Maybe LaPierre's speech got to them.

Last edited by WT; 12-22-2012 at 11:16..
WT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:58   #33
The Fist Of Goodness

Quote:

My brother is a Sgt. with Philly PD. He also volunteers at his kids' elementary school in their athletics program. On Monday following the CT shooting, one of the non teaching admin types, an older woman stomped up to him and demanded to know if he was armed (they know he is a LEO), because it would be highly irresponsible for him to be in a school full of children with a gun.

He responded that if something happened at the school it would be irresponsible if he didn't, and if she didn't like it, too bad. She stomped off to complain to the principal, who later (that same day) told him she was always glad to see him in the building.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 12-22-2012, 11:05   #34
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron View Post
The Education mafia is overwhelming hard left. They do not care for the police or what the police represent. Firearms are not welcome, no matter who wields them.
Neither does the hard right, we get it comming and going.

Quote:
There are other threads about the problems encountered when reality attempts to enter the 'ivory towers' of education.
Reality regularly enters there, especially in High Schools.

Quote:
In over 20 years of street policing, I only encountered two reality based educators - one was the director of a charter school and the other was a retired USAF Chief Master Sergeant who got his PhD and was the principal of an elementary school. Both of their schools were run well. The others were constant centers of wasted efforts.
Police in schools are a reality in major cities. I don't see why having a local police presence was an issue. We had an old police officer who would regulate traffic and make it safe to go across cross walks when I was a nematoad in Florida. We all liked that old guy. But, I guess, that was when values existed like respecting authority and elders.

I remember having conversations with him, he was always happy and loved kids.

Now, when we moved around to some larger cities and as the grade got higher there was a group that was more surly and younger. But, then again, they had to deal with a lot more crap.
Old 12-22-2012, 14:29   #35
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj9mm View Post
the highschools and some middleschools have had a police presence for a few years. we would just need to spread it to the elementary schools, not a small feat with tight budgets, though
Ditto here. The big problem is that CCSD has 327 schools. The CCSD police department has a little over 200 officers. When Las Vegas was building like mad, instead of adding capacity to existing schools, they went gangbusters and built a crap ton of new schools. Can't give do-nothing admin jobs to your friends and family if there aren't enough schools to go around. Now half those schools are underutilized (read: half-vacant) and the other half is decrepit and in disrepair. Instead of closing campuses and consolidating, they tried to pass a ballot question to raise property taxes to pay for maintenance on the broke-down schools. That failed miserably.
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:27   #36
dwhite53

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdvet View Post
This. They don't want scary guns on campus.
This exactly.

They've spent 20 - 30 years doing as Eric Holder said, "brainwashing our kids to think different about guns".

Now, having armed patrol officers in schools shows that guns have a place in society. They are useful and can save lives. Completely antithetical to our indoctrinators, oops, I mean EDUCATORS desired ends.

All the Best,
D. White

Last edited by dwhite53; 12-23-2012 at 12:27..
dwhite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 00:45   #37
obxemt
Chaplain of CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by trifecta View Post
Officers in schools are great, but they weren't really put there to prevent or engage an external threat.
What? That's news to me. In my state they've always been intended to do that, and that's how they're trained. There's a "tactical SRO" subculture akin to the "SWAT operator" types, only with larger t-shirts and less Michael Westen-looking sunglasses.

All middle and high schools in my county have SROs. I was one for two years. Under the previous administration they were high visibility, well-trained, uniformed officers intended to provide police presence and do work. Now they're a feel-good measure in "soft" uniforms (polo shirt and 5.11-type pants) with no vest and no duty belt. You're lucky if they carry a subcompact Glock and a pair of handcuffs.
Your idea about the role of cops is totally different from the majority's, history's and the Constitution's.
obxemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 00:59   #38
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Yeah, some SRO positions have been made to almost look like admin jobs with soft uniforms and barely any equipment.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:18   #39
Badger54
CLM Number 277
Charter Lifetime Member

My home town had an SRO at the high school up until 2003-04 when the position got cut in the budget. The elementary schools had a DARE officer but the DARE officer was never overtly armed, there was no police presence in the middle schools.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:05   #40
Hedo1

I went to a HS taught by Jesuit Priests. A lot of these guys were veterans. I think about 1/2 of them were boxers when they were kids. God help someone who tried to hurt one of their flock...literally God help them. Some of the best people I ever met. Stayed in touch for many years after.

My son's HS has a full time officer assigned. She has a small office near the admin center. Keeps the patrol car parked out front. Keeps her long arms secured in the vehicle. It would not suprise me in the least if she had one secured inside. Nice lady but let's just say I wouldn't want to come home late w/o a good excuse if we were married Kind of a "looks good kill" demeanor without trying.

Last edited by Hedo1; 12-24-2012 at 05:06..
Hedo1 is offline   Reply With Quote