Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:17   #1
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Cops in schools

I would like an opinion from the police officers here in GT.

What are your thoughts about putting cops in schools?

I am trying to think of a reason why there can't be some room at the school for the police to do paperwork if nothing else so there is an armed presence even though I wouldn't expect there would be much to do MOST of the time.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:40   #2
blueiron
Clown move, bro

The Education mafia is overwhelming hard left. They do not care for the police or what the police represent. Firearms are not welcome, no matter who wields them.

There are other threads about the problems encountered when reality attempts to enter the 'ivory towers' of education.

In over 20 years of street policing, I only encountered two reality based educators - one was the director of a charter school and the other was a retired USAF Chief Master Sergeant who got his PhD and was the principal of an elementary school. Both of their schools were run well. The others were constant centers of wasted efforts.

Bastard! - TBO
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:45   #3
TK-421

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post

I am trying to think of a reason why there can't be some room at the school for the police to do paperwork if nothing else so there is an armed presence even though I wouldn't expect there would be much to do MOST of the time.
There are a lot of schools where there are already police. My high school had an officer that actually worked inside the school. That was her patrol area, the whole high school. Granted, I'd like to see at least two officers there, and I don't remember if the one officer was armed or not. But you'd occasionally see her wandering the halls, and she was very friendly and welcoming.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:49   #4
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:

Where I live every school has had at least one (Some two) SRO's for the last twenty years.

That includes the patrol car left in front of the entrance. No one has ever tried to shoot up one of our schools.

We DID have a mass shooting at a local plant though.
Old 12-21-2012, 13:01   #5
oldman11

Texas isn't wasting time with "Gun free zones".

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2012...-january.html/

That's how you protect children, not with your commie leaning ideas of banning guns.
oldman11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 13:08   #6
GRIMLET
Deceased

Our county gets a grant for SRO.
The high school and middle school have assigned officers on site. The elementary schools, four of them, get a floating SRO to share.

I think the SRO program is great.
GRIMLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 13:09   #7
mj9mm

the highschools and some middleschools have had a police presence for a few years. we would just need to spread it to the elementary schools, not a small feat with tight budgets, though
mj9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 13:09   #8
SPIN2010
Searching ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
Where I live every school has had at least one (Some two) SRO's for the last twenty years.

That includes the patrol car left in front of the entrance. No one has ever tried to shoot up one of our schools.

We DID have a mass shooting at a local plant though.
Same here ... my kids school has always had them.
SPIN2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 13:10   #9
Panzergrenadier1979
Keystone Cop

We had an SRO until this summer when the officer retired. Now the SRO position is in financial limbo and we are currently operating without one. Daylight shifts have to do foot patrols through the high school to keep up a presence and our work load has increased since we now have to respond to every hiccup that occurs there.

We also provide officers for security during football/basketball games.

For the folks in GNG...... Having an officer on campus was not viewed as any sort of decline into a "police state", in fact, the school came to lean heavily on our SRO to assist with problem students; the school principles would even call her on her cell phone on her days off before they could call 911.

Our SRO typically dealt with student fights, threats, tobacco use, minor drug/alcohol use, theft, harassment by text/email/facebook etc, and truancy. Real Gestapo stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Panzergrenadier1979 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 13:33   #10
DonGlock26

Quote:

We had them in the ghetto where I worked and they were kept pretty busy- dope, guns, knives, fights, gang fights, parents and relatives coming to the school to battle other families, sporting event violence. Just normal American high school stuff in Blue America.
“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”
DonGlock26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 14:01   #11
Steve in PA

Last year a local school district had to close two elementary schools in neighboring towns (too old, too small, too many issues to remodel, etc) and they remodeled the one in our town.

Beginning in Sept of this year, in cooperation without our town, the school and town agreed to hire a full-time officer for the school. The school and town split the officers salary.

The officer has said that he has been receiving nothing but praise and positive comments from teachers, parents and students.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps. Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945"

Last edited by Steve in PA; 12-21-2012 at 14:02..
Steve in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 16:31   #12
Kahr_Glockman

I am a school cop and have been very busy. I have one of the better schools in town and still manage to stay busy.

My campus is very supportive and knows what I am there for and doesn't bother me with the petty stuff. I am enjoying it and have really liked off the streets.

It is still policing just a different kind of policing.
Quote:
Roering
Trying to fight the police off is one thing. Trying to do it while naked takes real commitment.
Kahr_Glockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 17:26   #13
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

We have officers in all middle schools and high schools. I think it would make more sense to create an ISD police and have them in all schools including ekementary

Last edited by SCSU74; 12-21-2012 at 17:27..
SCSU74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 17:55   #14
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up

The school district here has their own police force. We work with them on a regular basis. Especially their gang detectives.
1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Last edited by txleapd; 12-21-2012 at 17:56..
txleapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 18:10   #15
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Jefferson County Public Schools has sworn officers that patrol the schools after hours, but are not allowed to carry weapons per school board policy. This is in addition to the (relatively new; 10 years or so) SROs; I don't think every school even at the middle and high school level have SROs, though.

They go through the full regular police academy like any other LEO in the state, including using weapons in the academy, but don't have them when they start working. Makes a lot of sense, I know.

My idea for here, at least, would be to arm those folks that patrol, and have armed school "special police", basically security officers sworn as "Special Law Enforcement Officers" under state law, to be in the schools, at least one for EVERY school, during the hours they're occupied.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 18:15   #16
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

I have to admit that often times these days I see the latest crop of officers and wonder why they aren't still in school.

Old 12-21-2012, 18:16   #17
mixflip

Here on Vegas we have post certified cat-1 school PD that patrol all the elementary middle and HS. Just not enough of them.

Oddly enough we have tons of post certified folks who cant find a job or graduated an academy got thier post cert but didnt make FTO and some simply got laid off due to budget cuts. We have alot of qualified post certified people here that could use an armed security job. Heck i wish i could do it part time on top of my LE job.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
mixflip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 18:56   #18
trifecta

Officers in schools are great, but they weren't really put there to prevent or engage an external threat. They will certainly do that though, and I'm sure there is more focus on that this week. I saw a Superintendent quoted today in opposition to officers in schools because then there would be more bullets flying if something happened. I don't understand how someone with a PhD can be carrying around that much stupid in one body.

Our high schools have always had officers, this week they added them to the middle schools. I have a kid in elementary. I sent the vice principal a note, offering to be a uniformed presence sometimes when I am off and followed up with a visit. Staff told me to come anytime. I'm hoping to get a couple of other parents to do the same. It won't be perfect, but between us and the city guys doing close patrol when they can, it is a lot better than nothing.

It is hard to imagine anyone's child huddled in a corner with the teacher telling them they are loved because she wants that to be the last thing they hear before they are murdered.
Old 12-21-2012, 19:21   #19
collim1
Shower Time!

We have 3 full time SRO's that go between the schools throughout the day. They mainly teach DARE, but provide police presence as well.

I dont think I'd be well suited to "guard duty" at the schools.

Going back and forth to the different schools and teaching a class or two throughout the day is one thing, standing guard at the gates or in the office might lead me to swallow my tongue.

I would definitely not volunteer for that detail.
collim1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 19:29   #20
Spiffums
I.C.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzergrenadier1979 View Post
We had an SRO until this summer when the officer retired. Now the SRO position is in financial limbo and we are currently operating without one. Daylight shifts have to do foot patrols through the high school to keep up a presence and our work load has increased since we now have to respond to every hiccup that occurs there.

We also provide officers for security during football/basketball games.

For the folks in GNG...... Having an officer on campus was not viewed as any sort of decline into a "police state", in fact, the school came to lean heavily on our SRO to assist with problem students; the school principles would even call her on her cell phone on her days off before they could call 911.

Our SRO typically dealt with student fights, threats, tobacco use, minor drug/alcohol use, theft, harassment by text/email/facebook etc, and truancy. Real Gestapo stuff.
Smoking / Chewing police!