SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-20-2012, 18:00   #61
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDG View Post
You paint a grim picture, Fred - but who knows. The media has reported (and they ALWAYS get their facts correct ), that the president will use a combination of Executive Orders and Congressional approval to get this done. We have the Constitution behind us with its checks and balances, but Executive Orders are something else. Even the checks and balances may not work this time. No politician wants to throw his career down the toilet by backing common sense and the common man.
I think the current problems we have in this country are because people do NOT look forward enough. So we kick stuff down the road & bury our head in the sand on things like gun control.
Really, how dare this admin talk of more gun control when they have been running guns to Mexican crimnals. Then again, few are paying attention. American Idol is more important than being informed about what goes on in our govt.
I expect PBO to use the exec order to do several things that may or may not be challenged in the ever more liberal courts. He could EO a ban on high cap mags tomorrow, but just adding to existing measures in the 68 GC act. He could EO tomorrow that all oassualt style weapons be turned into Class III weapons & require annual reg & a FBI background check. He has used EO outside of COngress before, he will again I am afraid. I tried warning people before the election & they still stayed home or voted libertarian. I know several on this forum that probably still deny PBO is antigun.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 12-20-2012 at 18:03..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 18:04   #62
M 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Well, IMO, you are loking at best case scenario. Liberals won't make the mistakes they made w/ the last AWB. No sunset & few grandfather clauses. They can easily make them illegal, confiscation would follow a grace period where you turn them in & they pay you for them. After that, illegal, confiscation & jail time. It's how it's done in other countries. You have your head in the sand if you think they are not going to go big this time. When you are walking on dead children, it's an easy lift.
Thanks, I do enjoy my 1911, w/ a spare mag, not many problems I could not solve.
Never said they weren't going to "go big". The proposed AWB, whatever it is, is an unknown- right now debating hypothetical stuff serves no purpose.
Old 12-20-2012, 18:15   #63
rgregoryb
Sapere aude

the economic meltdown will far eclipse the new AWB...we will need to hold on to what we have

"demography is destiny"
rgregoryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 18:25   #64
Kentguy

Soldmyhat..."will you switch to 40sw or 45acp or stay with 9mm in handguns that can hold 10 in either caliber?"

In all honesty I only need one round... OK... two rounds (the second one is just to make sure).

I carry a G26 now and I have no intention of switching or changing anything. I think there will be a tremendous amount of saber rattling and chest thumping going on in Washington, perhaps all over - but at the end of a few months those clowns will not be able to come up with anything that will be able to pass both the House & the Senate.
Old 12-20-2012, 18:35   #65
cesaros

Would I switch? nope...I'll just continue to carry 17 round magazines.

I'd rather carry one 17 rounder than two 10 rounders. According to the left, more bullets equals more death..so in reality I'm doing them a favor.

The pen IS mightier than the sword; but when you run out of ink, I will be ready with plenty of ammo.
cesaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 18:49   #66
Glockaround the Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldMyHat View Post
So, a majority of the debate in 9mm vs 45acp comes to capacity vs power. I know there are other arguments, but that's what I hear the most. So my question is, if a 10 round magazine limit is instated, will you switch to 40sw or 45acp or stay with 9mm in handguns that can hold 10 in either caliber?

I am kind of leaning that, if I can only have 10, I might as well have the biggest 10 I can.
I'll stay with my 9mm- G26 comes with a 10 rd mag.That's what I have - what I carry.
Glockaround the Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 18:56   #67
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesaros View Post
Would I switch? nope...I'll just continue to carry 17 round magazines.

I'd rather carry one 17 rounder than two 10 rounders. According to the left, more bullets equals more death..so in reality I'm doing them a favor.
I am the opp. Shoot enough & you realize crap happens. A mag failure would get you killed if it's the only one you have. A spare mag allows you to more easily clear certain malfunctions & if the mag is bad, 2sec & you are back in the fight. My 1911PD carries lighet & slimmer w/ a sapre mag than a G17 & no spare.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
Old 12-20-2012, 18:58   #68
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by M 7 View Post
Never said they weren't going to "go big". The proposed AWB, whatever it is, is an unknown- right now debating hypothetical stuff serves no purpose.
Maybe why this clown got re elected. No one wanted to think of the hypotheticals. Planning for the best case scenario in anything in life is foolish at best, JMO.
Old 12-20-2012, 19:51   #69
OhioGlock90

Cost is a pretty big factor for me and I would still stay with 9MM because 45 ACP will still be expensive. Plus I already have the 9MM stuff
Winchester Model 1897
OhioGlock90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 21:06   #70
RPVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldMyHat View Post
I am kind of leaning that, if I can only have 10, I might as well have the biggest 10 I can.
I'd think it would be the one you're the best shot with. Most comfortable with. Shot placement wins out over caliber, doesn't it?

FWIW, mine is a .45 (G30). But that's just me. If you're better with a 9, then...
Old 12-20-2012, 22:08   #71
ScottieG59

My usual carry guns are a Glock 27 (9 round magazine, one round in the chamber and two spare magazines), a Ruger LCR (5 shot with two to four speed loaders) or a Kahr P380 (6 round magazine, one in the chamber and two or three spare magazines).

I also have a Glock 19 I recently bought for carry and a Glock 20, each with 15 round magazines.

I also have quite a few guns that rarely come out of the safe.

I am not extremely worried yet. I see thousands of Americans on a buying frenzy as they fear bans. One can say Americans do not support the ban or that they already surrendered to the inevitability.

It is a sad thing to see how timid and fearful people are getting.
ScottieG59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 22:32   #72
RPVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieG59 View Post
It is a sad thing to see how timid and fearful people are getting.
Amen to that!
Old 12-20-2012, 22:40   #73
jnc54

If the dems get high cap mags banned. Will glock design a ten rd mag for the g17 and 19 or make and insert plug like for shotguns that can be installed in the mag to limit it to ten rounds?
jnc54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 22:45   #74
dkf

Glock already has 10 round mags for the G17, 19, 22, 23, 31, 32 and etc.

http://glockparts.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=7179&CAT=713
http://glockparts.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=7184&CAT=704

Last edited by dkf; 12-20-2012 at 22:48..
dkf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:42   #75
barth
six barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
Glock already has 10 round mags for the G17, 19, 22, 23, 31, 32 and etc.

http://glockparts.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=7179&CAT=713
http://glockparts.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=7184&CAT=704
I think the implication of the OP is;
with the proposed 10 round mag ban there will be guns of the same size, weight and capacity in 9mm and 45.

Without the usual capacity advantages of a 9mm
why wouldn't you upgrade to a 45?

Recoil and cost of ammo are good reasons.
But the capacity argument will disappear.

In full size pistols, 10 for 10 rounds, I'll always choose a .45.

Last edited by barth; 12-21-2012 at 09:43..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:15   #76
Happypuppy

My carry is a 26. If is was going to get a new one and I wanted a 10 round handgun I would get a shield or the XD-S in .45.

I am a big fan of revolvers so they always an option

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Happypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:21   #77
jnc54

Thanks dkf for the link. I should have known about the 10 round mags with calif. limitations to 10 rounders. What about all these 17 and 15 rd mags I have. Would some kind of plug or insert to limit them to 10 rounds meet the new law requirements or would they be outlawed under a new high cap mag ban?
jnc54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:44   #78
SoldMyHat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnc54 View Post
Thanks dkf for the link. I should have known about the 10 round mags with calif. limitations to 10 rounders. What about all these 17 and 15 rd mags I have. Would some kind of plug or insert to limit them to 10 rounds meet the new law requirements or would they be outlawed under a new high cap mag ban?
Wasn't my intention to go over the politics of it. But most legislation will probably grandfather current mags and firearms in possession. But with no ability to sell or will it to another person. If they outlawed current ones too, I would think they would have to institute a buyback program.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:46   #79
SoldMyHat

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth View Post
I think the implication of the OP is;
with the proposed 10 round mag ban there will be guns of the same size, weight and capacity in 9mm and 45.

Without the usual capacity advantages of a 9mm
why wouldn't you upgrade to a 45?

exactly my intention of the thread.

Last edited by SoldMyHat; 12-21-2012 at 11:47..
SoldMyHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:50   #80
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth View Post

Exactly. Although recoil is a trainable thing to deal with, how the gun fits you is more important. I shoot my XD45C as well as the G19, same size, why not carry the 45?
The last AWB ban spawned the compact pistol, lots of new 45acp designs, etc. I would expect the allure of a full size, 15-18 shot handgun will be a lot less if you only get 10+1. Then "old" guns like the 1911 will return to prominence when someone wants a full size gun.

Last edited by fredj338; 12-21-2012 at 12:02..