Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-17-2012, 00:59   #1661
TexasPOff
"Dump The Hump"

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnjoy View Post
I can't belive I just saw a guy putting his compact lower whitch he just got up for sale here on the classified section.
I received my frame and put it together G19 and ran some reloading and presentation drills. The magazine release was a big issue with me. I had several accidental releases just doing drills. The magazines also came loose multiple times while carrying it concealed around the house in an infidel.

I mentioned several pages back in this thread I thought the mag release may be an issue for me. The magazine release does not have anything to protect it from accidental activation. The factory Glock frames have a small ledge behind the release running along the bottom of the thumb recess. This aids in protecting against accidental release. I have removed the ledge on some customers frames per their request. With this modification along with an extended mag release and the factory Glocks will exhibit the same accidental mag release issue under certain conditions.

In all fairness I have been around the full sized LW frames and done some of the same drills and not had an issue with the release. It seems to be related to the compact frames as far as for me.

This was what I observed with my frame and I also reported this to LW. The frame itself and all other factors of it are excellent. Fit and finish we're outstanding and I think it was well executed.

This was my evaluation and opinion and nothing more. If the magazine release is addressed and or updated on future version of the frame I would not hesitate to purchase another one. The LW frame is truly a step up from the factory glock frame, and I think they are going to do well.

The magazine release issue I have with it is a deal breaker for me. I wanted to offer it up to someone else for them to evaluate and enjoy. TXPO
Certainly, Certifiable

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
"DUMP THE HUMP"

Last edited by TexasPOff; 12-17-2012 at 01:07..
TexasPOff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 14:10   #1662
JR
GT Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to JR Send a message via Yahoo to JR
WDN: Any chance you can provide a measurement of your rail width from 3 locations (back, middle, front)? Maybe send me a quick video showing the fit issue?
Khamill2000: Yours is the first G38 I have heard of. I cant understand why the frame would prohibit the magazine from seating? try removing the top end and seating the mag a few times. You will be able to get a new view of the mag seating. If the frame needs trimmed I would like to do this work myself.
TexasPOff: No worries, contact Dan at dshepard@lonewolfdist.com. Let him know your issue with the MR and ask for his version of the factory MR. The MR is a usually a training issue and this is our fix for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 20:09   #1663
WDN

I'll try to email you video. Do you have a GLO-3166 in stock that you can try on your prototype?
Compact:
Back 0.0809
Middle 0.810
Front 0.808

Large Frame Proto low 100's serial#:
Back 0.827
Middle 0.835
Front 0.825

Video sent to jr and zack

Last edited by WDN; 12-17-2012 at 20:30..
WDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:09   #1664
khamill2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR View Post
Khamill2000: Yours is the first G38 I have heard of. I cant understand why the frame would prohibit the magazine from seating? try removing the top end and seating the mag a few times. You will be able to get a new view of the mag seating. If the frame needs trimmed I would like to do this work myself.
The grip just seems to be a little too long. I pulled the top end off and still have the same issue. Also tried a 23 mag and it seats just as hard. The base plate is making contact with the bottom of the grip before the mag is fully seated. I can try to put up some pics when I get home this afternoon.
khamill2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 16:27   #1665
JR
GT Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to JR Send a message via Yahoo to JR
WDN: We will make the rail a little larger on the regular run but as you can see in this video
even the Glock OEM rails have issues.

JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 17:25   #1666
khamill2000

First pic. LW frame with slide removed and mag inserted.

Sponsor Showcase

Second pic. Glock frame with slide on and mag inserted.

Sponsor Showcase

Third pic. Both Glock and LW frames. The Glock still has the slide on and the LW has the slide off.

Sponsor Showcase
Old 12-18-2012, 17:28   #1667
tacdriver22mk2

did not contribute to thread

sorry

Last edited by tacdriver22mk2; 12-19-2012 at 13:32.. Reason: did not contribute to thread
tacdriver22mk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 21:04   #1668
WDN

We'll I wasn't totally accurate with my first post it seems. All my mags are drop free but they don't all seat well. Sorry, I just gave them a quick check without the mag release installed to see if they had a drop free issue. (working a ton of hours and just wasn't ready for full review) I have the same problem as khamill2000 with a lot of G19 mags. If they do seat, they have to be slammed home extra hard.

Same as the pictures he posted. The angle just isn't the same as Glock mags. Front of mags hit the frame.

The front of frame will have to be relieved. The only issue with that would be the proper fit of the lonewolf magwell. You would be reducing the rail thickness and cause a loose fit. I don't see myself using a magwell on that frame. I tried but you would need little kid hands for it to work.

I also feel the mag release may be too loose. It's not flush with the inside of the mag.(where the mag spring attaches) The nose of the mag slams into it at times. My concern would be that some mags have some of the steel liner exposed at the nose. That may start to cause deterioration of the mag release.

Last edited by WDN; 12-18-2012 at 21:59..
Old 12-18-2012, 21:53   #1669
jpprescott

Picked up my frame today!
Everything went together perfectly.
I LOVE the way the frame fits my hand! Off today, so I carried the pistol around the house in an ITP holster all day and did not have any mag release issues.
I DID notice that while most of my mags are fine, a couple will not latch (or require excessive pressure). When I separated the mags that wouldn't work I noticed that they were older, all of the good mags were new gen 4 mags. I've never noticed a difference in Glocks but maybe there is a slight difference in tolerances that is causing the problems...
I have not had a chance to try a weapon light on it yet, but I will soon.

More to follow as I run it.....

Last edited by jpprescott; 12-18-2012 at 21:59.. Reason: Clarification
jpprescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 21:26   #1670
rkrk

Put frame together and 100 rounds through it as well

Went together fine, function check without concern, no sig unusual play between slide and frame, TLR-1 fits well with a slightly greater amount of play when attached compared to stock frame.

Very comfortable to grip, points well, controls are what I would expect and manipulated without problem

All mags drop free but NOT all mags would seat with equal ease. Three of the mags have the notch about 2-3/32 of an inch higher and these seat without problem. The other five I tried would seat but only with sig force. I tried to file one of the base plates on the mal-functioning mags without success.

I wonder if my mags are out of spec or the mag release is a bit off where it might be optimally. I don't recall if any of the mags are not factory glock mags. All mags have functioned without problem in my Gen 3 G23.

When using the three mags that seat well there were no problems shooting aside from getting hit in the face with brass once out of the 100 rounds I put through it. Everything else was ejected to 4 or five oclock.

My only other concern is that I put the gun into my blackhawk serpa holster only to almost not be able to get it out. I may have missed the info that said don't do it but I thought the Timberwolf was compatible with any holster that a stock glock would fit in - not the case and I am glad I got the gun out without having to cut the holster apart to do so.

I will have to email photos of the mags to JR if desired

rk
rkrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 22:50   #1671
tacdriver22mk2

hey does anyone else's rails bend out at a diagonal i just checked my 21c and it does not do this it doesnt look like much maybe 11deg above the x axis
Old 12-21-2012, 06:08   #1672
WDN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacdriver22mk2 View Post
hey does anyone else's rails bend out at a diagonal i just checked my 21c and it does not do this it doesnt look like much maybe 11deg above the x axis
Post a picture.
Old 12-22-2012, 23:05   #1673
Walkertl

Received mine and set it up. The only issue I have encountered is with 13-round 40sw mags not seating properly. I encountered the same issue as KHamill2000.

Email sent to Zack with more detail.

Walker
Walkertl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 00:25   #1674
tacdriver22mk2

i have the same problem as walker with non gen 4 mags in g19 format however i also get gnarly blood blisters from the pinch between the floorplate and magwell

also what is zach's email/ what did he do to take care of you guys
Old 12-27-2012, 13:07   #1675
khamill2000

Originally JR said he wanted to do the trimming on mine. I don't know if that still stands since this issue seems to be more wide spread. I havent heard anything and don't expect to hear anything until after the holidays.
Old 12-31-2012, 16:42   #1676
Robs_G23

I built my Timberwolf Compact with all OEM Glock 19 parts. The latest gen magazines work fine in my frame. All parts fit well and the rail is straight. I don't have a light to try out on the rail, but might be able to locate one soon. I need to find some time to put some rounds downrange.

Sponsor Showcase
Robs_G23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 13:17   #1677
doodi1

I have not built my frame yet, because I don't have all of the parts, but i tried the slides from my other three gen. 3 G19's on it and they slid on nice and straight.

The Glock light is a bit loose on the accessory rail and rattles around a bit.
doodi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 21:28   #1678
WDN

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodi1 View Post
I have not built my frame yet, because I don't have all of the parts, but i tried the slides from my other three gen. 3 G19's on it and they slid on nice and straight.

The Glock light is a bit loose on the accessory rail and rattles around a bit.
Do the slides seem a bit loose compared to your G19's. My proto rails are smaller than my 2 G19's creating a sloppy frame/slide fit up. On a defensive gun, it may be fine. On a competition gun, to loose for me. I would rather the rails be over-sized and fit the slide myself. I can make them smaller but I cant make them bigger.

I did take mine out and shot it with target and defensive ammo. No malfunctions. Haven't been able to post my final opinions yet. Maybe this weekend.

Last edited by WDN; 01-03-2013 at 21:39..
Old 01-04-2013, 14:07   #1679
doodi1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDN View Post
Do the slides seem a bit loose compared to your G19's. My proto rails are smaller than my 2 G19's creating a sloppy frame/slide fit up. On a defensive gun, it may be fine. On a competition gun, to loose for me. I would rather the rails be over-sized and fit the slide myself. I can make them smaller but I cant make them bigger.

I did take mine out and shot it with target and defensive ammo. No malfunctions. Haven't been able to post my final opinions yet. Maybe this weekend.
I'll try it again, but without the parts and locking block I'm not sure I will get a good feel for how loose the slide is. I'll report back tomorrow.
doodi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 15:59   #1680
gtistile

Are these still unavailable? I have been reading that this frame has been in the works since at least early 2010... I inquired about the compact since I handled the full size frame at a gun show a few months back and have been told on several occasions that it would be available by Christmas, and if not, certainly by the first of the year.

Are the ones you guys are receiving and posting about still the prototype units? And how can there be so many problems with something that is so similar to the full size, and has been 3 years in the making? I guess I am just bummed to hear these things since I really thought I had found the answer to my CC needs
gtistile is offline   Reply With Quote