SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-13-2012, 00:15   #101
IndianaMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper View Post
No kidding. It's kind of a silly argument - arguing about which computer you can buy off the shelf is better. If you really cared about having the most badass computer you would build it yourself. It's like getting heated arguing which is better, a Sentra or an Accord, which probably is used mostly to drive to Trader Joe's and pick kids up from school. There are 1,000+ hp sports cars out there, relax, take it down a notch.
Right, but if you happen to be in the market for a new family car, then the "Accord v. Sentra" discussion is very relevant to your interests.

As was the "Mac v. PC" debate for me last week.
IndianaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:13   #102
catalyst686

Got the same one, congrats!
catalyst686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:43   #103
costanza187
I like Macs

It wasn't the "marketing" that got me hooked on Mac. In fact, I was one of the biggest scoffers. I bought an old iBook off of eBay (mostly to make fun of it), and just see "how the other half lived". I fidgeted with it a bit and realized the thing was actually very cool. I just enjoyed the interface, the feel of the keyboard and was surprised at how fast such an old computer was. I was actually using that thing quite a bit while my new-ish Dell (which had been one problem after another) was sitting there collecting dust.

Eventually I upgraded to a "newer" used iBook and used it for quite a while then finally took the plunge in 09 and got a brand new MacBook. It was, and actually still is a great machine. I did end up getting a new 2012 MacBook Pro when they came out in like June of this year. I am not sure I really needed the Pro, but the timing was right so I jumped on it. The Pro had been pretty amazing.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:46   #104
Recalcitrant

Still a machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
If people say it's a good idea to spend $250 on warranty for you mac, it would seem to imply that the mac is not as reliable as people say.

Having said that, my computer is approaching 2.5 years old. Had I bought Applecare, it would absolutely have been a waste of money. Admittedly I am perfectly capable of fixing computers myself, but even if not, Google has everything you could possibly need to know. And certainly a brief google search is more cost effective than spending $250 only to wait in line for a few hours while an Apple Genius does the exact same thing.
In my personal experience, I've had fewer problems from Macs than PCs, but that said, it's still a machine which can fail and if given enough time, will. Couple that with the expense of repairs - the Apple battery was $130 I believe - and the warranty may look more attractive. Of course, YMMV.

And I've never waited hours at an Apple Store, though I'm sure experiences vary.
Recalcitrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:16   #105
Reissman

My daughters high school went all computer everything is done thru a cloud system the school set up. No more books. Guess what computer they use. MacBook Air 11" ....

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 12-13-2012, 05:23   #106
eracer
Where's my EBT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan74 View Post
Just don't try to upgrade the memory, hard drive or video card down the road....
What PC owners really do that? By the time the hardware you bought three years ago is obsoleted by the software you bought yesterday, you need a new motherboard anyway.
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:45   #107
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
If people say it's a good idea to spend $250 on warranty for you mac, it would seem to imply that the mac is not as reliable as people say.

I personally would not, and did not. Nothing inside the computer, except for the battery and motherboard (naturally) is proprietary. The hard drive and RAM are all off the shelf components. I have personally replaced the HD with an SSD and upgraded the RAM on my MBP using standard components that I bought from newegg. There is no such thing as Mac/Apple RAM or anything else. Apple makes absolutely none of the hardware, with the exception of the motherboard being made specifically for them, just like with any other laptop. If something does go wrong, it will likely be the hard drive, and they are very cheap. It is also very rare for something to go wrong while the computer is under warranty. Remember, no matter who provides the warranty, it is still a money-making operation for the warranty supplier. More likely than not, the $250 to extend the warranty 2 additional years is money down the drain. Absolutely nothing should go wrong with your computer during the span of 3 years, and if something should happen, it will likely still be cheaper to replace on your own.

Having said that, my computer is approaching 2.5 years old. Had I bought Applecare, it would absolutely have been a waste of money. Admittedly I am perfectly capable of fixing computers myself, but even if not, Google has everything you could possibly need to know. And certainly a brief google search is more cost effective than spending $250 only to wait in line for a few hours while an Apple Genius does the exact same thing.
1. One can easily make an appointment over the net and see an Apple Genius Bar person with no wait.

2. For many issues a Genius Bar person will help without Apple Care.

3. Apple Care also avails one to extensive over the phone/email support. For the record I don't buy Apple Care.

ETA - Apple stores also put on little scheduled tutorials about various things Apple - like it or not that's advantage over pc makers. I've never anything similar from a PC maker.

Last edited by .264 magnum; 12-13-2012 at 05:51..
.264 magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:24   #108
686Owner
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durden View Post
Conversely, the insecure & "wow!, it turns on and does computer type stuff!" Apple iGadget owners who buy a product need to refrain from being so desirous of positive feedback and confirmation that they didn't waste 4x the money for nothing they feel the compulsion to start a thread about their purchase.

I think I'll go and start a "I bought a Honda generator and I'll never go back to not having a generator" thread now.
So, because someone is happy with a new purchase they should refrain from posting about it because it bothers you?
Old 12-13-2012, 07:09   #109
ryanm

The touchpad gestures are great, as well. I've already grown dependent on them.
ryanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:11   #110
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMatt View Post
I grew up with the viruses, bluescreens, and disposable hardware of PC. This year, I had enough and I joined the cult of Apple with a new MacBook Pro.
I use Windows and haven't had a virus in, well, forever. Bluescreens are very rare in my experience. But I guess you've got the advantage on the disposable hardware. Let me know how your 2012 hardware is working in five or six years.

Fanboys are always such a fun phenom...
gwalchmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:30   #111
Durden

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalchmai View Post
I use Windows and haven't had a virus in, well, forever. Bluescreens are very rare in my experience. But I guess you've got the advantage on the disposable hardware. Let me know how your 2012 hardware is working in five or six years.

Fanboys are always such a fun phenom...
I've used a Windows laptop nearly every day since...I can't remember.

The last time I saw a Blue Screen of Death (OMG!!!) had to have been in 2002 or 2003.

The last time I had a virus was probably about the same time...MAYBE as late as 2004...and didn't do any serious or irreparable harm. It cost me several hours of my time, though, which sucked at the time.

So, Windows, a good free AV program and a good firewall, and one OMG!!! BSOD!!!! in 14 years or so, and one virus that was pretty much harmless as of 2003 or 2004.

Apple fanboys love any reason to justify paying 3x to 6x as much for a tool.
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:09   #112
686Owner
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanm View Post
The touchpad gestures are great, as well. I've already grown dependent on them.
I agree. I've never used a mouse with my Mac, but my wife and I pretty much found it a necessity if we were going to be using one of our other laptops for more than a few minutes.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:16   #113
Toyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 686Owner View Post
The Apple haters need to get over themselves. IF someone said they bought a new Ford, would you crap all over their thread and tell them Chevy's are easier to work on, have a higher resale value etc? No. You would say congrats, and move on to the next post.
Exactly. Some of these people act as though my choice in computers somehow is going to impact their life.

It's a tool. The best OS for you is the OS that works best for you. It all depends on what you need and how you are going to use it.

They each have their pros and cons.

Personally, I have both. I prefer Windows, but if Mac makes you happy, cool.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:21   #114
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman View Post
Exactly. Some of these people act as though my choice in computers somehow is going to impact their life.
The OP set the tone of the conversation, TM. We just responded. I have Win, Apple, and Linux boxes and they all have their uses, but if I start a Mac bashing thread I expect to hear Applers set me straight.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:26   #115
Durden

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalchmai View Post
The OP set the tone of the conversation, TM. We just responded. I have Win, Apple, and Linux boxes and they all have their uses, but if I start a Mac bashing thread I expect to hear Applers set me straight.
+1

Beat me to it.

OP didn't just start a thread proclaiming his new flame with Apple, he made it a loud bullet point to bash Windows.

Had the thread title been the reverse, the Apple loyalists would have chimed in accordingly.

I've owned both, and will never understand the religious-like zeal of the Apple crowd, since Apple vs PC is like debating Toyota vs Honda, but that's a subject for a different thread (I think).
Old 12-13-2012, 08:51   #116
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by eracer View Post
What PC owners really do that? By the time the hardware you bought three years ago is obsoleted by the software you bought yesterday, you need a new motherboard anyway.
I've upgrade the RAM in every computer I've ever owned. I don't know of or have any software that's obsolete so I'm not sure what you are referring to. A new motherboard? Uh...ok.

Last edited by syntaxerrorsix; 12-13-2012 at 08:53..
syntaxerrorsix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:59   #117
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Anyone want to take bets on how old this PC is? I bet some members here have never even seen a floppy disk drive before. Still running like a champ.

The Okie Corral

Old 12-13-2012, 09:26   #118
686Owner
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntaxerrorsix View Post
I've upgrade the RAM in every computer I've ever owned. I don't know of or have any software that's obsolete so I'm not sure what you are referring to. A new motherboard? Uh...ok.
The RAM is about the only thing that most will upgrade in a laptop. Maybe the hard drive or SSD, but it seems that hard drive size increases have slowed, or at least the need for them. Also, he said obsoleted, which I'm lead to believe means the software drop support for the hardware, or becomes so bloated that it slows the computer. I don't think that happens as much anymore, but I did hear Vista did not work well on older computers. I assume Windows 8 would do well on older computers if they intend for it to run on tablets.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:28   #119
686Owner
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Anyone want to take bets on how old this PC is? I bet some members here have never even seen a floppy disk drive before. Still running like a champ.

The Okie Corral
That's not even a real floppy drive. The disk you put in there doesn't even bend.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:31   #120
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

Quote:
That's not even a real floppy drive. The disk you put in there doesn't even bend.
And REAL floppy's are 8 inches in diameter...
Old 12-13-2012, 09:41   #121
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:

Lol very true. I started out with a dual 8" floppy.

That was back when USR 300 baud modems were the stuff of legend

Old 12-13-2012, 09:44   #122
Durden

Floppy disk....Pfffft.

Magnetic tapes ala Commodore 64 FTW.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:45   #123
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Hell I'm still using my original model M keyboard from my first IBM 8086.

The Okie Corral

Yeah.... PC's don't last

Old 12-13-2012, 09:48   #124
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
just picked up first MacBook. DONE WITH PC.
Turncoat!!!

Old 12-13-2012, 10:03   #125
Durden

Quote:
Hell I'm still using my original model M keyboard from my first IBM 8086.

The Okie Corral

Yeah.... PC's don't last
Those are some sexy Thinkpads in the background, there...