SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-12-2012, 17:03   #51
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

I'm all for whatever platform you like the best but if you have struggled with viruses, defragging and whatever "debugging" is your whole life then I hate to break it to you but it's not the platform. It's the user. You will still have to buy a new machine every four years if you want to keep up with technology as well.

Last edited by syntaxerrorsix; 12-12-2012 at 17:04..
syntaxerrorsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 17:06   #52
sputnik767

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMatt View Post
I grew up with the viruses, bluescreens, and disposable hardware of PC. This year, I had enough and I joined the cult of Apple with a new MacBook Pro.
Sounds like you should have been buying better PCs. This is the exact problem I have with people who make posts like yours. They will spend years buying cheap junk, be it PCs or smartphones, and then will spend the premium on a macbook or iphone and proclaim its superiority. It is a fallacious conclusion at best, and is also completely wrong. I have a macbook pro as well, and it is a nice machine. Having said that, it's nothing special. Of course I also have a home-built 6-core PC with a SATA III SSD as a main drive, overclocked to 4.2 Ghz on water cooling. The only mac that actually can run with it is the Mac Pro. For the record, my PCs crash less than my mac, and my other PC is around 5 years old now, also home-built with minor upgrades over the years. It is my HTPC, mainly netflix and blu ray. I will say this outright, nowadays the software you run is virtually irrelevant. Both Windows 7, and OSX are extremely stable platforms. The only thing that separates them is the hardware. If you buy the junk sold at best buy, you will get the blue screens, slowdowns, etc.
sputnik767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 17:06   #53
RGbiker

Been using Apple OS since 2003. No hassles with upgrades, no crashes and no BLOATWARE to delete.

Like the man said: "Once you go MAC, you never go back."

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2012, 17:09   #54
sputnik767

Quote:
Say that for a PC machine.
Haha, and what exactly do you think the Mac is based on. Here's a hint, the same x86-based, Intel core i5 or i7 CPU that is found in most PCs. In fact, go ahead and install just windows on your mac. The reality is, the only thing that separates a mac and an equally equipped PC is the OS. For the record, my dad still uses my 9 year old Dell laptop. But of course, it cost over $1000 back then.

Last edited by sputnik767; 12-12-2012 at 17:14..
Old 12-12-2012, 17:10   #55
Restless28

Quote:
Simplicity is one of the main reasons I picked Mac.

I hate technology. I like to browse the web, and a computer is mandatory for my work, so a laptop in my life is a sort of necessity.

But its because I hate technology that I've abandoned PC. I don't want to look under the hood of my computer and learn about kernels and root directories: I just want it to work.

And this is why Apple will win. I imagine the bulk of Apple haters make a living as PC techs.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 17:13   #56
sputnik767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
And this is why Apple will win. I imagine the bulk of Apple haters make a living as PC techs.
And the bulk of PC techs make a living off of people who like to click those links for free screensavers or games.
Old 12-12-2012, 17:15   #57
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
And the bulk of PC techs make a living off of people who like to click those links for free screensavers or games.
Blame anything but the user

syntaxerrorsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 17:26   #58
IndianaMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGbiker View Post
Been using Apple OS since 2003. No hassles with upgrades, no crashes and no BLOATWARE to delete.

Like the man said: "Once you go MAC, you never go back."

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Ha ha, I like that word, "bloatware." Never heard it but a GIS sums it up nicely:

The Okie Corral

Bye, PC!
IndianaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 17:39   #59
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgutie35 View Post
Is it Intel based shipset? If yes, then you have not gone far from PC. You will still get viruses and vulnerabilities.
Errr...... not even close to correct.
Old 12-12-2012, 17:43   #60
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durden View Post
The days of solid reasons for Apple to have a "cult of loyal users" have passed.

The only thing Apple still does relatively well is marketing, and even that is waning.

DEAR APPLE: I'm Leaving You
As if. I'm typing this on a 6 yo white MB that has been shout down maybe 5 or 6x and has had ZERO viruses or other PC maladies.
Old 12-12-2012, 17:44   #61
Beretta92guy

congrats OP,

microsoft sucks goat-nads......how that POS company is still in business is beyond me....

the only thing that is a bigger POS computer with windows is a mobile phone with windows on it.....

Apple all the way for me with phone and PC......on year 2 with my PC and 3 years with Iphone.....Love em'
Beretta92guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 17:57   #62
Resqu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
Both Windows 7, and OSX are extremely stable platforms.
While we all know I'm an Apple guy I do use and like Win 7, that said I'd like your opinion on Win 8, I have only heard bad stuff about it and the few machines I have played with in stores I just hated it, seems like its made for a tablet??

I need to help a family member buy a new computer for a Christmas program and I'm already wondering if I can get Win 7 on it if I don't talk her into a Mac? I know it will come with Win 8 and the guy won't like it but he likes Win 7. I'm already concerned about all the driver issues I will have to del with.
Resqu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 18:01   #63
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Congrats! Welcome to the club. I'm still wiping tears from laughter from all the misinformation in this thread.

I'm typing this on a MacBook Air that I'm going to drop a 512 Meg HD into in a few months, got a MacBook Pro that I upgraded the HDD to a 256 SSD and upgraded the memory in, got a Mac Mini that I put a second HDD in and upgraded the memory in. Each of those updates took about 15 minutes max. Memory is more along the 30 second to 1 minute change out.

I was a "buy a machine and install Linux on it immediately" kinda guy for about 15 years until I got issued a Mac at work. Now my Linux and Solaris machines are just servers and my desktops are Macs.

Intel based hardware is the reason for viruses and malware? Holy COW I've got to show this thread around work. Oh DEAR

There are almost no viruses for OS X, it's UNIX. Not "UNIX-Like" it's certified UNIX. Completely different mindset than WIN. It's BSD with a pretty face.

Again, welcome to the dark side. We have cookies.
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 18:07   #64
sputnik767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resqu2 View Post
While we all know I'm an Apple guy I do use and like Win 7, that said I'd like your opinion on Win 8, I have only heard bad stuff about it and the few machines I have played with in stores I just hated it, seems like its made for a tablet??

I need to help a family member buy a new computer for a Christmas program and I'm already wondering if I can get Win 7 on it if I don't talk her into a Mac? I know it will come with Win 8 and the guy won't like it but he likes Win 7. I'm already concerned about all the driver issues I will have to del with.
I have not used Windows 8 for any significant amount of time, but I did play with it on some computers at Costco. In short, it seems very fast, even on crappy hardware. Otherwise, I don't like it. For your family member, you can buy the computer and a copy of Win 7 professional. Should be around $150. Then, wipe the PC and install. On the plus side, you'll get rid of all of the crap that always gets bundled with PCs, and have a proper, clean install. Or get a mac. For most people, a mac is sufficient for their only computer. Would not suffice for me though.

Last edited by sputnik767; 12-12-2012 at 18:09..
Old 12-12-2012, 18:10   #65
Ftttu

Welcome to the show! I changed to a Mac Mini the day or day after Windows 8 came out. I'm not for or against both MS or Apple. I was looking for a change to reinvigorate my computer hobby, and Mac fit the bill. I just don't see me going back to a windows machine, but we will see what the future brings. Also, the Magic Mouse-there can't be any better mouse on the planet!

Last edited by Ftttu; 12-12-2012 at 18:22.. Reason: spelling
Ftttu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 18:12   #66
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Oh, some links for you and your new toy:

Memory, drives, how-to videos, upgrade kits and walk throughs:
http://eshop.macsales.com/

More information on MacBook Pros than you'll probably ever want:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...acbookpro.html

MacBook Pro teardown, upgrade and repair videos:
http://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Pro

A couple of "The GlockTalk of Macs"
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/
http://forums.macrumors.com/
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 18:31   #67
airmotive
Tin Kicker

Quote:
I don't keep any big programs or games; the machine is mostly for web browsing, Word, and a few photos here and there.

256 GB is plenty, no?
Soooo...what you actually needed was a $150 Chromebook?

As I've often admitted here, my wife is ALL Mac (27"iMac, Macbook Pro, iPad 4, iPad Mini, iPhone5) I'm all PC and Blackberry (Blackberry because it's free from work).

So far (year years in) the computing stress level is definately higher on her end. As well as expense and repairs. So I really don't feel the iLove. The iPad mini...I'm a huge fan. It's what the iPad should have always been. The rest iStuff....meh.

Last edited by airmotive; 12-12-2012 at 18:35..
airmotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 18:33   #68
sappy13

Congrats Op, you will probably love it. I like the OSX operating system, but id much rather just run a flavor of linux. Fedora 16 is amazing. I just cant see myself paying the high price for a mac when I could get a pc with much better specs for less. The only difference between a modern Mac and a PC is the operating system. People say OSX is simple simple, but I think Windows is just as simple. Its common sense. Hardware is the same, except you get less specwise for your money with a mac(4 gigs of ram in a $1200 laptop..). I can count the number of viruses iv ever gotten on my pc on half my hand. All you need is a antivirus software and logical thinking when you are on the web. If a site or link doesnt look legit, DONT click it. How hard is that. If you do click it, Google will tell you everything you need to know to remove it. Macs get them too, just not as often and when they do, Apple denies it as long it can. My old roommate was the Apple rep at UGA before he graduated. A year or 2 ago when they had one, might have been the Mac Defender malware, they told him to officially deny it as malware to users...
sappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 18:56   #69
sputnik767

Quote:
Originally Posted by .264 magnum View Post
As if. I'm typing this on a 6 yo white MB that has been shout down maybe 5 or 6x and has had ZERO viruses or other PC maladies.
I have done a lot of work to my friend's 4-5 year old white macbook, because over the years it began running like crap. Replaced the heatsink compound because the CPU was overheating, upgraded the RAM, and put in a larger HD. Also wiped the previous HD in the past and reinstalled the OS because the computer started seriously slowing down. Essentially, everything that goes wrong with PCs as they age, goes wrong with macs. Because there is no difference between PCs and Macs.
Old 12-12-2012, 19:09   #70
FPS

Congrats on the new Mac. Go get yourself some VMware Fusion and run Linux and Windows too. You can have three computers in one all running on the solid build quality of the Mac hardware.

Old 12-12-2012, 19:24   #71
NMGlocker
BOOM headshot

Want a trouble free PC?
Shop the manufacturers business line instead of the Best Buy consumer models.
You'll pay about the same price as a Mac but usually end up with a higher spec system and will have bloat free, clean Windows installs.
I've had great experiences with my business grade IBM/Lenovo work laptops.
A Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon running Linux Ubuntu would kick my MacBook Air's butt for the same price.

Last edited by NMGlocker; 12-12-2012 at 19:32..
NMGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 19:34   #72
sappy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMGlocker View Post
Want a trouble free PC?
Shop the manufacturers business line instead of the Best Buy consumer models.
You'll pay about the same price as a Mac but usually end up with a higher spec system and will have bloat free, clean Windows installs.
I've had great experiences with my business grade IBM/Lenovo work laptops.
I love the Business line models. My Elitebook kicks ass. Iv got a Elitebook workstation im delivering to a client on friday with an I7 and 16 gigs of ram. The additional cost in the business line models is due to longer warrenty too. Most regular pcs come with 1 year. Business lines, at least HP's, come with a 3. Unless you cause physical damage to mess it up, all the labor and hardware is covered. Parts are sent overnight.
Old 12-12-2012, 19:39   #73
ryanm

Congrats! I'm typing this on my month-old 13" MacBookAir. This thing has become indispensable. I hardly turn on my issued Lenovo T420s anymore. I got tired of breaking the cases on the Lenovo T-series. We've gotten kinda tired of that at work as well... it's why we pay for accidental damage protection on those. Half of the issued Thinkpads have cracked casings. We still like them, too, though.
ryanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 19:55   #74
sappy13

doublepost

Last edited by sappy13; 12-12-2012 at 19:55..
Old 12-12-2012, 19:55   #75
g29andy
CLM Number 197
Charter Lifetime Member

15" ivy bridge MBP 16 gb RAM 512gb Crucial SSD, have Win7 Pro and Ubuntu in Parallels Virtual machines. It runs them all well. Still have PC desktop and laptops, but MBP is the new toy.