GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-01-2012, 14:34   #26
misunderestimated

Not every person is willing or capable of defending themselves with a fire arm or any type of a weapon.I always remember an old boss used to carry a 357 on his hip barely covered by a vest. one day some one was stealing from behind our shop and he pulled his 357 and told the guy to freeze and the guy charged us and my boss started shaking. I was only 16 and had to get into with the guy and my boss never jumped in but some fellow workers did
I was so lucky that day as I learned 3 things that day

1-Some people who will carry and draw a gun are not mentally prepared or trained to pull the trigger

2-Never draw you gun unless you are prepared to destroy the thing its pointed at

2-Some people are not afraid of getting shot and will count on knowing not every one is going to fire the gun

Fight,

Flight,

Freeze

Sometimes its a mistake to force some one to carry a gun to make you feel better

I have a dog for my families protection in case they are not capable of protecting themselves. The dog knows that is its purpose and is ready for the job
misunderestimated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 19:54   #27
patriot73

If I may put my two cents in here. My gf hated guns before we got together, and understandably so. Her exhusband played Russian roulette with her for about two hours with a revolver. He was heavily intoxicated, which oddly enough is what saved her. He forgot to load the one round needed to "properly play". Long story short, she now likes to go shooting and has shot my LCP, G24 and G23. Patience and understanding was the key to me changing her opinion of firearms. Would she actually pull the trigger in a defensive situation, I don't know. It's hard to speculate on such, but at least I now know she is comfortable with firearms in the home.

Last edited by patriot73; 12-05-2012 at 20:08..
patriot73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 18:25   #28
firedawg60

My wife was kind of like this. She had a .45 held to her head several years ago. Kind of turned her off on guns. So in the last 5 years she's gone from not liking guns to going shooting. Now she's still not wild about them, but she is talking about getting her permit.

I started by taking her to the range with me. I'd ask her if she wanted to shoot and she said no. After a couple of times like this, she wanted to shoot my Glock. She fired about 4 rounds and decided the .40 was too much for her wrist. I borrowed a friends G-22 with a .22 conversion kit. She fell in love with that. I ended up getting a Sig Mosquito and she shoots that when we go. The last time I had her shoot my S&W 586 with .38. She did great with that.

Now in the last couple of weeks we've had 2 vehicles and and a trailer of ATV's stolen a block south of us and a break in this morning a block north of us. And yes, we live in a good neighborhood, but it's happening everywhere. She wants to go to the range again on Monday.

My advise, move slow with her and not push too much. I'm afraid you'll turn her off even more. Just let her move at her pace with it. Good luck.

G23, G27, S&W 686 6", S&W 586 4", Sig "Skeeter"
Smith & Wesson Club #305
firedawg60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 16:23   #29
Pier23

In all likelihood, nothing WILL happen to her...but...several years ago a retired music teacher in our rural area of Ohio was tied, tortured and subsequently shot and killed ay assailants over a six hour period. He was also a good friend, so it DOES happen, even in the country.

If she is not into lethal options, what about non-lethal..a dog to give some warning, and some pepper spray?

People recognize threats or they don't...nuthin' much you can do about it either way.
Pier23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 21:57   #30
rauldduke1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock30Eric View Post
My suggestion is a really dangerous and very effective. Please take a careful consideration in this.

You might want to talk with your two or three friends with a van to have a mock break-in your house while your GF is in the house. That will surely give your GF a reality call. You'll might have to deal with cops responding to this call. You'll have to pay some of $$ for few of broken windows.

I don't really think your GF will want to stay with you after all of this, lol. At least I gave you something to think about.
You, sir, win the Internet

Cannot wait until the day - about 2 weeks from now - when we get the thread "Staged a mock-home invasion and GF wants to press charges, what to do?"

To the OP: I think you went wrong when you tried to push gun=self defense a little too fast. Why can't guns=having fun plinking with a .22 rifle. And as the new shooter becomes more comfortable with firearms, perhaps move on to center fire pistols or shotguns that might be more appropriate for SD/HD.

Try to make it fun.

Edited to add: plinking fun can get the new shooter comfortable enough with firearms to learn the basic rule of safe handling. The Boy Scouts have known this for decades.

Last edited by rauldduke1979; 12-09-2012 at 21:59..
rauldduke1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 17:41   #31
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock30Eric View Post
My suggestion is a really dangerous and very effective. Please take a careful consideration in this.

You might want to talk with your two or three friends with a van to have a mock break-in your house while your GF is in the house. That will surely give your GF a reality call. You'll might have to deal with cops responding to this call. You'll have to pay some of $$ for few of broken windows.

I don't really think your GF will want to stay with you after all of this, lol. At least I gave you something to think about.
That is the stupidest crap I have heard in a long time. You weren't the guy I went across four lanes to draw down on for pretending to kidnap your daughter were you?

The guy got as big as saucers when I ran the stop sign and went across all four lanes when he decided it would be funny to pull up fast and jump out and snatch her walking home from school.

He about ate a Glock 19 that day.

The moral of the story is don't do stupid crap like you are suggesting, it could end badly. Had the dude decided to speed off without explanation it would have broke really ugly.
Old 12-10-2012, 17:54   #32
ithaca_deerslayer

Offer to marry her if she carries.
ithaca_deerslayer is online now   Reply With Quote