GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 16:18   #181
Bruce M
Senior Member
 
Bruce M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: S FL
Posts: 21,869
My guess is that at least some of the guys who are satisfied that their gun is the best choice and others are no where near as good are actually very insecure about their gun or brand and like reinforcement from someone else or sometimes from themself in a post. I suspect that reinforcement helps reduce the anxiety or perhaps subconscious insecurity they have about their chosen gun or brand.
__________________
Bruce
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now  
Old 12-10-2012, 17:00   #182
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!
 
Jason D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Mivonks, MI
Posts: 41,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Wow, seven pages and 160+ replies

Do you think coleslaw touched a nerve?



...where the hell is 'slaw anyway?
I would imagine he was so taken aback from not finding a 1911 hater audience here. That he probably went to expound the virtue of the Glock elsewhere.
__________________
An enlightened zeal for the energy and efficiency of government will be stigmatized as the offspring of a temper fond of despotic power and hostile to the principles of liberty.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 17:37   #183
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 90,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
I would imagine he was so taken aback from not finding a 1911 hater audience here. That he probably went to expound the virtue of the Glock elsewhere.
Most likely...
__________________
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 17:38   #184
robrides85
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
If people don't know by now how mediocre a Glock is when compared to John Moses Browning's finest creation...
What, the Hi-Power? J/K - but now you're just trolling in the opposite direction.
robrides85 is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 17:58   #185
porschedog
Senior Member
 
porschedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 800
OP was hoping to find a receptive, 1911-hating audience here on GT, oblivious to the fact that many of us actually have held, used and own 1911s, as well as Glocks

Wrong assumption


Perhaps his most recent experience with guns involved caps or water
__________________
That's Casey, my dachshund, in the avatar pic, making sure the Beneful bag is Really 100% empty.

NRA Life Member / Creepy-Ass Cracker
Florida Glockers #172126
porschedog is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 18:04   #186
NEOH212
Diesel Girl
 
NEOH212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North East Ohio
Posts: 9,079
I'm sure glad I'm not the only one that can't see any logic behind the OP's post considering he's never even owned a 1911.

How the hell can someone formulate a opinion about something they've never owned?

If the OP was paying any attention in the last few years, he would know that Glock has been plagued with many problems as well. I've owned many 1911 pistols over the years. Some have been good and some have been bad.

Just like anything else, you get what you pay for (with very few exceptions.)

I've had nothing but good experiences with the semi-custom and full custom 1911's and mostly bad experiences with factory 1911's.

That doesn't make me hate them nor would I say they are a poor choice for a defensive handgun. Many people trust their life to one on a daily basis and for good reason. They work.

As for me, I'll pass on the 1911 for a defensive handgun for many reasons but mainly because I don't care for any single action handgun in general.

The OP feels that the Glock is a better choice over the 1911 and I feel there are better choices over the Glock.

Opinions are like arse holes. Everyone has one and thinks their opinion is the only one that doesn't stink.
__________________
When you finish speaking, don't forget to wipe.
NEOH212 is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 18:06   #187
mikalglock
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 36
Almost everyone has read articles against the 1911 platform first, but you must also read articles in favor for the 1911 second. I've visited 10-8 blogs and Modern Service Weapons blog, and critics agree that a properly tuned 1911 will run reliably for years. I'm proud to say the critics didn't talk me out of owning a 1911. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. In the end, it's just a matter of preference really.

Last edited by mikalglock; 12-10-2012 at 18:07..
mikalglock is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 18:54   #188
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 90,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
I'm sure glad I'm not the only one that can't see any logic behind the OP's post considering he's never even owned a 1911.

How the hell can someone formulate a opinion about something they've never owned?
The OP had trolling on his mind.

In his last paragraph, he pretty much stated that in so many words.
__________________
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 19:04   #189
RJ's Guns
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Thanks RJ

Yeah, its not like the guy was asking questions or seeking info. He was just making clueless statements and looking for a reaction.

He has since vanished from the thread.

I felt that OhioGlock90 calling you a “jerk” is totally unwarranted. You are one of the last individuals on this forum to deserve being called a “jerk”. (If someone called me a jerk, I would plead guilty. It is in my nature. In my line of work, people came to me because they wanted a "junkyard dog" that wanted to rip the opposition apart, limb by limb, not someone who is warm and fuzzy)

I routinely see you complementing people and trying to make them feel good about a firearm that they recently purchased or own.

Nor have I found you to be niggardly (and for you brain dead illiterates with a reading vocabulary of a sixth-grader, that is not a racial slur) with your knowledge and I have observed that you routinely seem to be willing to help. I find you to be gracious and kind.

RJ
RJ's Guns is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 19:32   #190
LawScholar
Senior Member
 
LawScholar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 1,152
The single thing this thread has accomplished has been to make me want my first 1911 that much more. Fail, OP.

Was very impressed with the Ruger SR1911. But also very impressed with the Colt next to it.

Guess I'll save my pennies and surprise myself.
__________________
Beretta PX4 .40 - Colt 1968 Detective Special .38 Spc.- Ruger LCP .380 - Daniel Defense M4V1 Carbine 5.56 - Ruger 10/22 .22LR - Remington Express Tactical 870 12GA

Last edited by LawScholar; 12-10-2012 at 19:33..
LawScholar is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 19:37   #191
Bruce M
Senior Member
 
Bruce M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: S FL
Posts: 21,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ's Guns View Post
I felt that OhioGlock90 calling you a “jerk” is totally unwarranted. You are one of the last individuals on this forum to deserve being called a “jerk”. (If someone called me a jerk, I would plead guilty. It is in my nature. ...) (same here)

I routinely see you complementing people and trying to make them feel good about a firearm that they recently purchased or own.

..I have observed that you routinely seem to be willing to help. I find you to be gracious and kind.

RJ
Agree completely.
__________________
Bruce
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now  
Old 12-10-2012, 19:42   #192
NEOH212
Diesel Girl
 
NEOH212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North East Ohio
Posts: 9,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ's Guns View Post
I felt that OhioGlock90 calling you a “jerk” is totally unwarranted. You are one of the last individuals on this forum to deserve being called a “jerk”.

I routinely see you complementing people and trying to make them feel good about a firearm that they recently purchased or own.

Nor have I found you to be niggardly (and for you brain dead illiterates with a reading vocabulary of a sixth-grader, that is not a racial slur) with your knowledge and I have observed that you routinely seem to be willing to help. I find you to be gracious and kind.

RJ
I couldn't have said it better myself!


__________________
When you finish speaking, don't forget to wipe.

Last edited by NEOH212; 12-10-2012 at 19:44..
NEOH212 is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 19:53   #193
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 90,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ's Guns View Post
I felt that OhioGlock90 calling you a “jerk” is totally unwarranted. You are one of the last individuals on this forum to deserve being called a “jerk”. (If someone called me a jerk, I would plead guilty. It is in my nature. In my line of work, people came to me because they wanted a "junkyard dog" that wanted to rip the opposition apart, limb by limb, not someone who is warm and fuzzy)

I routinely see you complementing people and trying to make them feel good about a firearm that they recently purchased or own.

Nor have I found you to be niggardly (and for you brain dead illiterates with a reading vocabulary of a sixth-grader, that is not a racial slur) with your knowledge and I have observed that you routinely seem to be willing to help. I find you to be gracious and kind.

RJ
Much appreciated RJ

You offer a lot of great insight on the forum.
__________________
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 19:59   #194
philipk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 1,863
Late to the party

I am coming late to the party, but I always get a laugh out of the 1911 arguments.

We seem to live in a day where I am right and you are wrong. Therefore, I am good and you are evil.

In the 1911 argument it is either.

A. John Browning invented the greatest sidearm of all times when he made the 1911. All future designs are inferior.

B. The 1911 is as obsolete as a Model T and you should never trust your life to one.

Good vs. Evil depending on your point of view.

In reality both statements are extremely wrong. Read a history of the U.S. Army standards that led to adopting the 1911. John Browning didn't want a grip safety but the Army did.

Today's 1911 is greatly improved from the original model. Even the Army quickly moved to the A1 in 1924.

Yet, firearm design did not stop. Today we have many great sidearms to choose.

I am trying to keep this post short.

The 1911 is not the greatest sidearm as there is no such beast.

It is one of many great sidearm you can use. It is up to you. If it works for you, great! If the Glock works for you, that is also great. There is no right or wrong answer.

My VW Jetta has a diesel. To me it is perfect. My neighbor's Jetta has a gasoline turbo. To him it is perfect.

I have both the 1911 and Glock. So I am fickle!

Freedom and choice is great.
__________________
Philip

G20 (OEM and Lonewolf 6" barrels), G23 (.40 + .357 SIG), G27 (.40 + .357 SIG), G35 (.40 and Lonewolf 9mm)
philipk is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 20:02   #195
Ruggles
Senior Member
 
Ruggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tejas
Posts: 8,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawScholar View Post
The single thing this thread has accomplished has been to make me want my first 1911 that much more. Fail, OP.

Was very impressed with the Ruger SR1911. But also very impressed with the Colt next to it.

Guess I'll save my pennies and surprise myself.
Well as long you don't intend to ever use it in self defense and only as a range gun you will be fine. I mean I like the 1911 too but until it has some real world combat testing, say in every clime & place that you can take a gun over say a century or so with say millions of troops then I would not trust it as a platform for self defense.

When it gets that under it's belt I will be a believer. Until I will stick with that grandaddy of all handguns the Glock. I mean hell the Glock was killing them Krauts back in WWI you know

Last edited by Ruggles; 12-10-2012 at 20:05..
Ruggles is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 20:03   #196
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 90,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipk View Post
I am coming late to the party, but I always get a laugh out of the 1911 arguments.

We seem to live in a day where I am right and you are wrong. Therefore, I am good and you are evil.

In the 1911 argument it is either.

A. John Browning invented the greatest sidearm of all times when he made the 1911. All future designs are inferior.

B. The 1911 is as obsolete as a Model T and you should never trust your life to one.

Good vs. Evil depending on your point of view.

In reality both statements are extremely wrong. Read a history of the U.S. Army standards that led to adopting the 1911. John Browning didn't want a grip safety but the Army did.

Today's 1911 is greatly improved from the original model. Even the Army quickly moved to the A1 in 1924.

Yet, firearm design did not stop. Today we have many great sidearms to choose.

I am trying to keep this post short.

The 1911 is not the greatest sidearm as there is no such beast.

It is one of many great sidearm you can use. It is up to you. If it works for you, great! If the Glock works for you, that is also great. There is no right or wrong answer.

My VW Jetta has a diesel. To me it is perfect. My neighbor's Jetta has a gasoline turbo. To him it is perfect.

I have both the 1911 and Glock. So I am fickle!

Freedom and choice is great.
__________________
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 20:29   #197
jeremy1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Armed In Alberta
Posts: 1,221
This thread is making me want a 1911 again. I am liking the colt XSE commander.
__________________
G17 gen 1, G19, G20 OD, G22 gen 4, G37 and lots of other Non Glocks
jeremy1 is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 20:31   #198
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 90,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy1 View Post
This thread is making me want a 1911 again. I am liking the colt XSE commander.
That's a good choice. I have one myself.
__________________
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 20:53   #199
LawScholar
Senior Member
 
LawScholar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
Well as long you don't intend to ever use it in self defense and only as a range gun you will be fine. I mean I like the 1911 too but until it has some real world combat testing, say in every clime & place that you can take a gun over say a century or so with say millions of troops then I would not trust it as a platform for self defense.

When it gets that under it's belt I will be a believer. Until I will stick with that grandaddy of all handguns the Glock. I mean hell the Glock was killing them Krauts back in WWI you know
:D I see what you did there
__________________
Beretta PX4 .40 - Colt 1968 Detective Special .38 Spc.- Ruger LCP .380 - Daniel Defense M4V1 Carbine 5.56 - Ruger 10/22 .22LR - Remington Express Tactical 870 12GA
LawScholar is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 21:21   #200
glock2740
Gun lover.
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NW Ark.
Posts: 18,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy1 View Post
This thread is making me want a 1911 again. I am liking the colt XSE commander.
I don't know about that. I think ole' coleslaw makes a good point. Maybe I got it all wrong about this high priced, fancy pants 1911 thing. Besides, I'm Glock2740! What am I doing throwing all this money away on these unproven 1911's, when I've got all these Glocks?!?
glock2740 is offline  

 
  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:38.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,078
312 Members
766 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42