SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-15-2012, 13:48   #21
muscogee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim7777b View Post
The aforementioned book is written by Robert W. Faid---a numerologist and nuclear engineer...
A numerologist? You've got to be kidding. Any witch doctors or astrologists? How about someone who dropped acid and talked to God?

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 14:02   #22
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
A numerologist? You've got to be kidding. Any witch doctors or astrologists? How about someone who dropped acid and talked to God?
One of his other titles:

Religious Issues

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Geko45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 16:23   #23
Trew2Life
#intheflesh

Quote:
Geko you are obviously intelligent and well educated---90% right---yet 100% wrong..Too bad, you will probably lead others astray with you. On the way GreenDrake-
It's really no surprise that people who go through the journey that Geko traveled find a new destination.

To the more discerning reader of the Bible it is impossible NOT to see the obvious contradictions, fallacies and atrocities. The bible has lead more people to atheism than you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingryder View Post
It is nice to know that it was written in such a way that only dumb people can understand it.

Perhaps "wise" people have a hard time with it because it is filled with contradictions, mis-information, and nonsense. One must cherry-pick their way through it to arrive at the conclusion that the deity described in it is just and loving. What I take from it is that that god is maniacal, jealous, vengeful, insecure and illogical. Even if the god of the bible DID exist, he isn't much of a role model and I wouldn't follow him to the men's room.
Burn
Old 11-15-2012, 17:00   #24
muscogee

Quote:
It is nice to know that it was written in such a way that only dumb people can understand it.

Perhaps "wise" people have a hard time with it because it is filled with contradictions, mis-information, and nonsense. One must cherry-pick their way through it to arrive at the conclusion that the deity described in it is just and loving. What I take from it is that that god is maniacal, jealous, vengeful, insecure and illogical. Even if the god of the bible DID exist, he isn't much of a role model and I wouldn't follow him to the men's room.
No one has ever been able to tell me why God talks in riddles. Why can't he just say what he means. Why can't he write a coherent consistent manuscript. It appears he forgets what he wrote previously and contradicts himself. Sometimes he does absurd stuff like cursing a fig tree because it didn't have any fruit when he wanted to eat. Looks like God would have know that or simply forced it to have fruit.

Leona Helmsley
Old 11-15-2012, 17:05   #25
muscogee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
One of his other titles:

Religious Issues
He's out there with Tim LaHaye. I wonder if people like that are just selling books or if they really believe what they write. I got sucked in by Carlos Castaneda once. After four books I realized I was being conned.

Leona Helmsley
Old 11-17-2012, 03:21   #26
jim7777b
E9 USN Ret

Sad, real sad, that so many are so hostile, self aggrandized, smug and arrogant that they have pronounced for themselves their own demise and final destination. Geko--you never were a Christian.
NRA Range Officer, Glock Armorer quals, expired since 2K--guess I know nothing about them any more--- G17--Gen 1, G19--Gen 3, G23--Gen 3, G22--Gen 3 RTF2 ))))))) ....Other guns too numerous to list.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
jim7777b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:23   #27
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Geko--you never were a Christian.
I was never a true Scotsman, eh? Christian conditioning overrides logic and reason once again. You'd rather believe I was somehow fundamentally flawed than admit your belief system doesn't operate as claimed and it doesn't matter how much evidence is provided to you to show that. It must all be dismissed categorically and without question in defense of your deeply cherished belief.

Last edited by Geko45; 11-17-2012 at 08:18..
Old 11-17-2012, 07:53   #28
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
He's out there with Tim LaHaye. I wonder if people like that are just selling books or if they really believe what they write. I got sucked in by Carlos Castaneda once. After four books I realized I was being conned.
It's embarassing to admit now, but I was probably about half way through the "left behind" series before my experiences at my christian alma mater finally pushed my cognitive dissonance to the level that it was able to override the conditioning that I had been imbued with.

Now, I'm a fairly intelligent guy. Not trying to blow my own horn, but I've routinely placed in the top few percent in standardized tests. If it can take someone like me half their life to finally come around and see christianity for the societal control instrument that it is then what chance do the majority of the population have?

I'm sure the theists won't understand this comment, but I am actually empathetic to their situation. I realize that most of them will never overcome (like I have) what they were taught as children. And they will never experience the world as I have, living their whole lives in pursuit of an afterlife dellusion that will never come.

I also hope those atheists here that were never believers take stories like mine (and yours) to heart when considering this problem. What is at stake here is the future of humanity. We will either emerge into the light of reason or we will descend back into the dark ages and that the outcome of this struggle is still far from certain.

Last edited by Geko45; 11-17-2012 at 07:54..
Old 11-17-2012, 09:08   #29
wingryder

I too was raised as a Baptist. My grandfather was a hellfire/brimstone preacher. I was witnessing on the streets at 17... by 19, I "deconverted"... it took about 6 months to fully call myself an atheist. I haven't read, heard or seen one thing in the last 30 years that has convinced me to go back to religion... not even the tiniest shred of evidence that points toward a god... any one of them.

Geko, like you, the further away from religion I got, the more I felt bamboozled and stupid. Unfortunately, the ruse is not intentional, so you can't really "blame" your parents for indoctrinating you. They didn't know any better either.

This is a problem with believers. They think that we atheist, just don't understand their beliefs... My own family just thinks "I am lost and strayed from the flock", that I never "really" found god... (no true scotsman). Or they think that we are just angry at god. They never get it.

ALL CHRISTIANS ARE ATHEISTS!!!! when it comes everyone else's gods. Yet the christian god is just as absurd as everyone elses.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan
wingryder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 22:53   #30
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
One of his other titles:

Religious Issues
Yep, I posted the odds in a recent evolution thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape View Post

The total probability of Gorbachev meeting all of the individual probabilities and hidden clues is calculated to be: 1 in 1,797,880,320,000,000,000.
I also asked the OP the following, but he never responded.
Quote:
Any chance you would care to share with us the best 2-3 points made by Mr. Faid...

Would you be willing discuss and defend the specifics of the book?
jim7777b, chance that you'd care to pursue the discussion this time?

-ArtificialGrape
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:58   #31
muscogee

Quote:
This is a problem with believers. They think that we atheist, just don't understand their beliefs... My own family just thinks "I am lost and strayed from the flock", that I never "really" found god... (no true scotsman). Or they think that we are just angry at god. They never get it.
It's really difficult to overcome conditioning that starts a birth. Most people have no idea how much that controls their thinking at a subconsciousness level. They subconsciously dismiss any information contrary to what they believe and ascribe disbelief to lack of information, disinformation, having been fooled by the Devil, and all sorts of things. They're incapable of believing that anyone could know the Bible (thee Bible) as well as they did and not believe other than they do. they do not understand they have been conditioned to believe that what the Bible says and what they believe are the same thing.

I got quite upset reading "The Late Great Planet Earth" by Hal Lindsey. He quoted the same scriptures my family liked to quote but he gave them different meanings. It was heresy, or could my families interpretation be heresy? Until then I had been trying to make the Bible fit what I was told. From that point on I began trying to understand what the Bible really meant. I couldn't do that with the King James because every time I started to read a scripture the conditioning kicked in and I immediately knew what it meant. Rather, I knew what I had been told it meant. I got a New Jerusalem Bible that was written in modern readable English rather than some exotic semi-magical language that no one used any more. The conditioning didn't work in modern English. I was able to read the Bible without knowing what every scripture meant before starting to read. It took several years but I eventually reached the undeniable conclusion that the Bible didn't make sense. It was historical fiction. A few facts mixed with a lot of fiction.

Leona Helmsley
Old 12-08-2012, 15:02   #32
jim7777b
E9 USN Ret

I would rather live my life as if there is a god, and die to find out there isn't, than to live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
NRA Range Officer, Glock Armorer quals, expired since 2K--guess I know nothing about them any more--- G17--Gen 1, G19--Gen 3, G23--Gen 3, G22--Gen 3 RTF2 ))))))) ....Other guns too numerous to list.....

Old 12-08-2012, 15:19   #33
muscogee

Quote:
I would rather live my life as if there is a god, and die to find out there isn't, than to live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
Pascal's Wager again. New here aren't you?

Leona Helmsley
Old 12-08-2012, 16:39   #34
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
There's an entire Pascal's Wager thread that details numerous problems with it. Perhaps you'd care to weigh in there.

-ArtificialGrape
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 16:49   #35
randrew379

Quote:
Nice little pie chart and some cute cartoons-----and smartass pilot or not, you are still not smart enough to be God---even your own.
Have you not heard or the irrisputible truth and power of Gekoism?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
randrew379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 17:31   #36
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by randrew379 View Post
Have you not heard of the irrisputible truth and power of Gekoism?
I think he finds it discusting

Old 12-10-2012, 15:20   #37
jim7777b
E9 USN Ret

It may be an old quote but, it is no less true and no less profound than when first spoken. Every knee will bow one day, whether they want to or not. That's an older one.

Old 12-10-2012, 15:31   #38
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
jim7777b, chance that you'd care to pursue the discussion this time?
Quote:
It may be an old quote but, it is no less true and no less profound than when first spoken. Every knee will bow one day, whether they want to or not. That's an older one.
I guess we can take that as a "no"?

Old 12-10-2012, 18:25   #39
muscogee

Quote:
I guess we can take that as a "no"?
I think it's a boo.

Leona Helmsley
Old 12-10-2012, 18:43   #40
Sarge1400

Quote:
Pascal's Wager; it has more holes in it than a colander.
Sarge1400 is online now   Reply With Quote