Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-08-2012, 15:15   #261
SoldMyHat

I have been watching some videos on YouTube about this very thing. One thing is common in each one; the person being questioned by the authorities is a jerk that is overly consumed with exercising his rights to the fullest without considering the law and the rights of others. Being questioned by an officer is not a crime, but being a jerk to an officer will quickly and legally restrict your rights at hand.

I am working on getting my Handgun Carry Permit and these types of things are interesting to me. But like I said, there is always a common thread among all posts and videos. For instance, as I understand it, in TN when pulled over by a LEO, you are to immediately notify them that you are armed and turn over your firearm to them during the stop.

I am also glad to know that there are LEO's out there serious about keeping our communities safe and are making concerted efforts to keep bad guys with guns off the street. If that means I get questioned by a few cops, so be it. As long as I am courteous, as we all should be since these men/women are protecting us, then all should go well.
SoldMyHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 15:21   #262
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldMyHat View Post
I am working on getting my Handgun Carry Permit and these types of things are interesting to me. But like I said, there is always a common thread among all posts and videos. For instance, as I understand it, in TN when pulled over by a LEO, you are to immediately notify them that you are armed and turn over your firearm to them during the stop.
Welcome to GT!!

The part I put in bold, that is not true.

Why don't you start a new thread and ask that question so we do not hijack this one.

Thanks!

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 17:39   #263
SCmasterblaster

In NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksnort1959 View Post
I was asked if my concealed was loaded. pretty stupid cop and the impending civil rights violation suit will maybe edumacate him

Moderator Note: I moved this from another thread to its own for better exposure and discussion. Hopefully, it might help others who find themselves in similar circumstances.
The LEO must ask if the CCW is loaded, for it is legal in NH to CCW with an unloaded handgun. So the question is valid in any state that allows unloaded CCW.
Old 12-08-2012, 18:05   #264
SgtScott31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldMyHat View Post
I have been watching some videos on YouTube about this very thing. One thing is common in each one; the person being questioned by the authorities is a jerk that is overly consumed with exercising his rights to the fullest without considering the law and the rights of others. Being questioned by an officer is not a crime, but being a jerk to an officer will quickly and legally restrict your rights at hand.

I am also glad to know that there are LEO's out there serious about keeping our communities safe and are making concerted efforts to keep bad guys with guns off the street. If that means I get questioned by a few cops, so be it. As long as I am courteous, as we all should be since these men/women are protecting us, then all should go well.
Actually there's not a right to notify in TN, but we will know you have a handgun carry permit when we run your DL. The officer may or may not ask for the weapon. I never have. I normally just ask where it is and leave it there. LEOs do have the right statutorily to disarm in TN if they feel there's a safety concern. Normally that's not hard to articulate involving a traffic stop.

And you're right, courtesy goes a long way. I have yet to disarm a permit holder after 11 years on the job. I've arrested a handful, but it was DUI and/or drug-related. I was involved in another arrest where the permit holder had a handgun with filed serial numbers. That didn't end well for him. ATF got involved.

Last edited by SgtScott31; 12-08-2012 at 18:05..
SgtScott31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 18:11   #265
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtScott31 View Post
Actually there's not a right to notify in TN, but we will know you have a handgun carry permit when we run your DL. The officer may or may not ask for the weapon. I never have. I normally just ask where it is and leave it there. LEOs do have the right statutorily to disarm in TN if they feel there's a safety concern. Normally that's not hard to articulate involving a traffic stop.

And you're right, courtesy goes a long way. I have yet to disarm a permit holder after 11 years on the job. I've arrested a handful, but it was DUI and/or drug-related. I was involved in another arrest where the permit holder had a handgun with filed serial numbers. That didn't end well for him. ATF got involved.
A courteous, LEO reply. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2012, 19:12   #266
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinytop View Post
If his responses here are any indication the he probably did not answer the questions or asked his own out of nowhere questions.

LEO: Do you why I stopped you?

BS: What percentage of bowlers have picked up a 7-10 split?

LEO: Have you been drinking?

BS: Have you ever had a drink for 4 nights in a row and then skipped drinking for two nights?
I bet he was wearing a tin hat too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool songs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool car:
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 19:54   #267
jmlampert23

Pretty sure it is illegal to be in possession of a firearm if you have had just one drink. If your gonna have a beer leave the gun at home
jmlampert23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 20:03   #268
MNOD Glocker
always around

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockapede View Post
First, officers looking nervous on video has NOTHING to do with the legality of their actions.

Good luck with your civil suit.

I've arrested people for DWI without doing field sobriety and won. I've arrested people for DWI that later tested at less than .08 and won. Of course, BAC over .08 and DWI are two separate charges in my state. For DWI all that really matters is your level of impairment. In other words, if the officer can articulate why he had PC to arrest you, he's probably fine.

Good luck with your civil suit.

Somebody will probably chime in here that Arizona v. Gant removed searches of vehicles incident to arrest, which isn't true. The decision removed arbitrary or procedural searches incident to arrest. With a DWI there stands a pretty good chance that there's going to be evidence of the crime in your vehicle (cans, bottles, etc), and a search incident to arrest for evidence related to the crime the individual was arrested for is reasonable. Furthermore, at least in my state, an officer detecting or believing in good faith that he detects an odor of marijuana in your vehicle has PC to search.

Again, good luck with your civil suit.

Further-urthermore, if the arrest is deemed legal, the confiscation of your weapon as evidence of probably yet another crime (possession of a firearm while intoxicated...) is golden as well. I sincerely doubt the officer used the word "steal" in reference to your firearm and the wording matters. Even if he did, a joke in poor taste makes you look stupid in court but doesn't necessarily mean you lose.

Good luck with your civil suit. Seeing a theme?

Of course, the above is all written based on the assumption that you really have a pending civil suit and your post wasn't simply "I want to be one of the tough guys" internet chest-thumping.

THIS hit the nail on the head...... good on ya sir!!

(OP, seriously, in everyones best interest, leave the legal stuff between you, your lawyer, and the courts.)
Old 12-08-2012, 20:13   #269
MNOD Glocker
always around

Sorry to double post here but a couple more (potentially) overlooked things.

Here in Minnesota it is:

A. Illegal to speed.
B. Illegal to drive with a Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) over .08 (same as in every other state)
C. Illegal to drive if even the smallest amout of alcohol impairs your ability to operate a motor vehicle (meaning if you have one shot, and you are s**t faced, you cannot drive)
D. NOT a civil rights violation to ask a person if they have a weapon on or about their person, and if they have a firearm they are carrying, or intend to carry, must provide proof of a carry permit upon the officers request (so therefore, asking if the firearm is loaded...... thats just good..... how shall we say...... questions???)

And finally, if you were in fact placed "under arrest" most agencies have DEPARTMENT POLICY to search a motor vehicle to inventory the contents. That way the subject of the stop cannot come back and say "hey, I had $2,500 cash on the passenger seat when I was stopped, where is it?"

So.... that is more than likely why they searched your vehicle OP

Last edited by MNOD Glocker; 12-08-2012 at 20:14.. Reason: wrong words in the wrong place
MNOD Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 21:26   #270
Stevekozak
Returning video

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlampert23 View Post
Pretty sure it is illegal to be in possession of a firearm if you have had just one drink. If your gonna have a beer leave the gun at home
Pretty sure you should have read the rest of the thread before making you first post. It seems that in Wisconsin ( if that is where the dude lives at) it is not illegal to drink while carrying, provided you are not impaired by said drinking. Wheither or not one drink would impair the gentleman in question is a different question. I frankly don't understand the people that say you should never carry a firearm if you have a drink. I wonder if same persons leave their pocket knives and other sharp objects at home too, when having a drink. That is another discussion, though, and one that has been kicked around in this forum before.
Old 12-08-2012, 23:09   #271
MNOD Glocker
always around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekozak View Post
Pretty sure you should have read the rest of the thread before making you first post. It seems that in Wisconsin ( if that is where the dude lives at) it is not illegal to drink while carrying, provided you are not impaired by said drinking. Wheither or not one drink would impair the gentleman in question is a different question. I frankly don't understand the people that say you should never carry a firearm if you have a drink. I wonder if same persons leave their pocket knives and other sharp objects at home too, when having a drink. That is another discussion, though, and one that has been kicked around in this forum before.
I agree with your statement. I have been told here in MN, it is illegal to be in possession of a firearm ( on your person) and have a .04 BCA or more.

I know instructors for permit to carry courses make the statement "if you drink at all, dont carry" so it is probably a safe rule in more ways than one to live buy.
Old 12-09-2012, 19:19   #272
dnuggett
PRO 2A

I read page one. Then went to page 11. My educated guess is this story is bs.

Last edited by dnuggett; 12-09-2012 at 19:20..
dnuggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 20:20   #273
ignantmike

if i carry.....i'll drink water......
rimfire club member #504
ignantmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 20:38   #274
RussP

The OP, bucksnort1959 has logged in to GT twice since his last post, but has not added more to the discussion.

bucksnort1959, whenever you have anything of substance to report, please start a new thread. Good luck.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 22:53   #275
golls17
Lifetime Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
The OP, bucksnort1959 has logged in to GT twice since his last post, but has not added more to the discussion.

bucksnort1959, whenever you have anything of substance to report, please start a new thread. Good luck.
I'm betting he won't, either because it didn't happen or he won't want to share that he didn't get the outcome he wanted...
My comments are my own opinions and are not intended to be interpreted as the position of my department.

golls17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:12   #276
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleDay43 View Post
An individual must be 21 years of age to be hired as an LEO for most agencies. (For dealing with handguns, alcohol). Not sure if you're being sarcastic or just full of it.
There's several PD's that hire 18yr olds.

Detroit PD immediately comes to mind.. but I know there's others.

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Departments...iceCareer.aspx

Quote:
Minimum Requirements
■ At least 18 years of age
■ A U.S. citizen
■ Vision must be 20/20 or corrected 20/20 in each
eye. Depth perception and color vision must be
normal.
■ A valid Michigan driverís license and acceptable
driving record
■ A high school diploma or a valid GED
■ No felony conviction, (even if expunged)
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:05   #277
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
There's several PD's that hire 18yr olds.

Detroit PD immediately comes to mind.. but I know there's others.

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Departments...iceCareer.aspx
There are many jobs that they can give the young people until they are 21 or so. I have never met an 18 yr old cop.

Cool songs:

Cool car:
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:25   #278
LL6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneyBooney View Post
There are many jobs that they can give the young people until they are 21 or so. I have never met an 18 yr old cop.
It's just timing. My stick buddy in flight school pinned on WO1 and his wings hardly a month after turning 18. Figure 8 weeks for basic and 9 mo for flight school means he was barely 17 when he enlisted...18 yo cops don't even surprise me.
Old 12-13-2012, 13:09   #279
SgtScott31

Technically under state law LE agencies can hire 18 yr olds in TN too, but I've never ran into one when I help teach at the academy. There were a few 20 yr olds here and there, but they were the youngest. I personally wouldn't hire 18 yrs olds. The majority still have some growing up to do.

Last edited by SgtScott31; 12-13-2012 at 13:09..
SgtScott31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 14:17   #280
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinytop View Post
If his responses here are any indication the he probably did not answer the questions or asked his own out of nowhere questions.

LEO: Do you why I stopped you?

BS: What percentage of bowlers have picked up a 7-10 split?

LEO: Have you been drinking?

BS: Have you ever had a drink for 4 nights in a row and then skipped drinking for two nights?
HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa!

Tags
ccw arrest, ccw followup