Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:57   #26
coqui33
NRA Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy View Post
Romanians and Hungarians, too. Come to think of it, there were Danes, Poles, Russians and French who fought for the Germans, too. Should we hate all of them, too?
And the Spanish. Don't forget the Blue Legion.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:00   #27
JohnnyE

I posted these remarks on another forum, and they're appropriate here as well as we remember the sacrifices of our veterans:

Ten years ago I arrived at Atlanta’s Hartsfield InternationalAirport for a flight home. I got therevery early, and found a vacant gate to sit and wait. Soon, an older gentlemanarrived and took a seat near me. Being my usual friendly self, I said “hello”and asked him where he was coming from and going to. I’ll never forget hisresponse, which was, “Hawaii, a sad place, a very sad place.” I sure didn’texpect to hear that about Hawaii. Then I looked closely at his legion cap, andstitched on it was “Pearl Harbor Survivors Association” and, oh wow, “U.S.S.Arizona.”

I was thunderstruck, completely frozen. What those eyes had seenand those ears had heard. I still can’t think about this without getting chokedup. Looking back, I believe I was sitting next to Don Stratton, one of the fewto make it off the Arizona alive.

My mother grew up in occupied Europe during the war, only to be“liberated” by Soviet troops. Happily, the family got the hell out, and wasadmitted to the USA where, years later, I was born. And I’m here, and we’rehere, because of men like Don Stratton, and countless other veterans whosacrificed that we may be free. THANK YOU EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU!
JohnnyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:06   #28
lunarspeak

and what do you guys drive..mule carts,because every american made car has foreign parts on or in it,,ford owns part of mazda.

im sure the computer or phone your useing to post on this site has some chip made or designed in japan..
lunarspeak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:31   #29
ken grant

TO EACH HIS OWN

What used to be the American way in the past.

Now being P.C. is the norm
ken grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:55   #30
RedTop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken grant View Post
TO EACH HIS OWN

What used to be the American way in the past.

Now being P.C. is the norm
I was like you until I was stationed in Japan for two years. They're good people. They also paid a severe price for attacking us... I say we're even.
RedTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:51   #31
G26AZ

I lived and worked in Japan for 6 years. Every August, they have ceremonies at Hiroshima and Nagaskai. They protest too - but they don't protest against America for dropping the atomic bombs on them - they protest nuclear weapons in general.

The idea of hate everything Japanese because of Pearl Harbor - you gotta remember that most Japanese people had no choice in the matter - their government and military leaders made the decision for them. Its similair to our involvement in the Vietnam War - the decision wasn't made by the people, the POTUS decided to send troops there - how popular was that? Should the Vietnamese people hate YOU because your dad or uncle fought in Vietnam? Vietnam NEVER attacked the USA. Perhaps you also believe that all African-Americans deserve to be paidoff because thier ancestors were slaves? If you're never going to forgive people for past mistakes (and most of my Japanese friends feel that WWII was a huge mistake) then how far back in history do you go? "I'm never going to buy a Wilson CQB because they are made in Arkansas and my great - great cousin's uncle was killed at Gettysburg by them damn southerners!" sounds a little silly, right? I mean heck, England attacked us twice and we still sided with them in WWI and WWII. I could go on and on, but I think you get my point.

And before you claim that I'm a PC, left-wing, tree-hugging apologist, let me say that I feel that we were completely in the right in using the atomic bombs against Japan, and I told my friends there the same thing. I just feel that at somepoint in our lives we have to forgive and move on . . .
G26AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:58   #32
ken grant

I never read anywhere in this thread the word HATE used by anyone except for the ones who pointed out that I was wrong to feel the way I do.

There is a very large difference between "don't like" and "hate"

Heck, I am a Southern REDNECK who doesn't like Yankees but I don't hate them.

Last edited by ken grant; 12-08-2012 at 10:36..
ken grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 14:10   #33
clancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunk22 View Post
It's not that simple though and that sounds like it the attack was the solely the fault of the US. Japanese aggression in China started in 1931, Manchuria as I recall. Their need to solve economic issues began with China, expand and control. So the US began economic sanctions and embargo's after Japan declared war on China in 37. Of course Japan continued its expansion into places like Indochina. Japan's bombing of Pearl Harbor wasn't just due to an oil embargo, it was also set on a course of expansionism. They needed oil and other resources and we apparently were in their way. They signed into the pact with the axis powers in 1940 and had even named a governor for Alaska and Washington State. Japan (militaristic government) wanted a war and got it...be careful what you wish for.
Dude, he is 11! What would you expect a Master's Thesis? Just joking around one time I told a kid his age WW2 started when the Swiss Navy attacked the Confederacy right before the American Revolution. He nodded his head and said he learned all that in school.
clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:46   #34
Haldor
Retired EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunk22 View Post
It's not that simple though and that sounds like it the attack was the solely the fault of the US. Japanese aggression in China started in 1931, Manchuria as I recall. Their need to solve economic issues began with China, expand and control. So the US began economic sanctions and embargo's after Japan declared war on China in 37. Of course Japan continued its expansion into places like Indochina. Japan's bombing of Pearl Harbor wasn't just due to an oil embargo, it was also set on a course of expansionism. They needed oil and other resources and we apparently were in their way. They signed into the pact with the axis powers in 1940 and had even named a governor for Alaska and Washington State. Japan (militaristic government) wanted a war and got it...be careful what you wish for.
Well if you go back far enough it was all Abel's fault for sucking up to dad.
Guys! Guys! He's down! Stop kicking him! If he shows up on another thread, Tasers are indicated, but for now, let him slink off into the shadows to lick his wounds and ponder how deeply cool and misunderstood he is!
Hoot nred Mrs. Vr.
Haldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:31   #35
bunk22

Quote:
Dude, he is 11! What would you expect a Master's Thesis? Just joking around one time I told a kid his age WW2 started when the Swiss Navy attacked the Confederacy right before the American Revolution. He nodded his head and said he learned all that in school.
Well it's the net, it came across as the reason Japan attacked us was an oil embargo...brought on by Japanese acts of war and aggression. Wasn't my attention to bash an 11 year old though I normally reason and communicate at the 8th grade level My poor daughter, 14 years old has to endure her dad's love of history and constant correcting her teacher lol

bunk22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:23   #36
meleors
Cranky Member

Quote:
Damn Swiss Navy! Helping England during the American Revolutionary War should never be forgotten!
As we all know, Admiral Santa Anna's decisive naval victory (under the Swiss Navy flag) at the Alamo led to the signing of the Armistice at the 38th Parallel dividing North America in two along the Mississippi River.
West of the Mississippi became Mexican territory after Mexico's defeat of England during The Crimean War setting up the purchase of this land by U.S. President Grant known as the Louisiana Purchase. Since Alaska was considered a waste land, Mexico included it for "future considerations".

Yes, I love history!
meleors is online now   Reply With Quote