Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-07-2012, 13:38   #1
jono446

How big of garage for car resto

Hey guys I'm getting ready to buy and restore a 1970 charger but first I have to get a garage built, the car is sitting waiting on me so that's no big deal. I have priced a 20-24 with 10 foot ceilings and concrete floors, will be a very nice garage and the contractor is going to have to take a tree out and were going to put a 200 amp electrical service to the house. He has quoted me 13500 for everything and I can save a bit if I roof it myself and run the electrical, which I probably will do. Will this be enough garage? Do you who know a bit more about contractor work think this is a decent deal?
jono446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 13:59   #2
RenoF250

There is no such thing as a big enough garage. I would say that is the starting point.

What type of construction - steel, pole, wood?
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 14:01   #3
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

I just watch it on TV, but I'd say open floor space of triple the size of the vehicle. Add in 20% for tools and junk.

That's about 400sf so you should be good. Until the Missy's wants to store stuff there. Lol
Old 12-07-2012, 14:06   #4
jono446

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoF250 View Post
There is no such thing as a big enough garage. I would say that is the starting point.

What type of construction - steel, pole, wood?
I would say you're right but I live in town and am limited on space or I'd put up a big pole barn, but this is going to be wood construction with a poured footer and a 16-8 door
Old 12-07-2012, 14:50   #5
MikeG22
CLM Number 11
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to MikeG22
Depending on your options for roof height if you can get that higher it can be nice. Depending on the work and detail you will be doing to it, having a high enough ceiling to put in a an inexpensive lift and getting access to the underside can make a huge difference in quality of life while you work on it. Also with a high roof you can build in some storage lofts that are handy for storing some of the parts and other random garage stuff.
MikeG22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 15:04   #6
Hauptmann6

Send a message via AIM to Hauptmann6 Send a message via MSN to Hauptmann6 Send a message via Yahoo to Hauptmann6
If you could go higher on the ceilings you will be MUCH happier. Like 12-16 feet. Lifts are getting cheaper all the time.
The only things that last forever
Are memories and sorrow
Hauptmann6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 15:07   #7
RenoF250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauptmann6 View Post
If you could go higher on the ceilings you will be MUCH happier. Like 12-16 feet. Lifts are getting cheaper all the time.
I wish I would have done that. My height was restricted to <8' so no lift for me. Truck won't even fit.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 15:08   #8
skinny99
Crew Chief

As big as you have room for and can afford. You cannot have too big of a shop, it will still fill up.
Old 12-07-2012, 15:10   #9
TK-421

I agree, the higher you can go on the ceilings, the better. A lift will not only make it easier to work on the restoration project, but easier to work on your personal vehicles as well. And you might be able to build almost like a second story, with stairs, for storage and what not.

And make sure you plan not only enough room for what you want, but enough room for what your wife will want too. Because she will try and take over at least some of it, and possibly all of it, if you let her.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 15:32   #10
misunderestimated

The Okie Corral

I put this together in 2 small Garages. we were cramped.If I was going to build a Garage for a car restoration. I would make it at least 3 bays.A bay for the body ,a bay for the Frame and then a general work area. so at least 32 wide. then the depth should be at least 25 to 30 I would also go as high as possible so you can build a loft area for parts.
storage.I am sure you may know this buts in today's market its cheaper to purchase a car done then to build one.Not even counting the cost of a new Garage.

Good Luck I have seen lots of project started and never finished with a Giant outlay of money and no way out.

I away recommend right a budget then add to it and make sure your able to handle it

Drive train rebuild $8,500.00 Paint and body $8,500.00 to 12,500.00 Interior $4,500.00 Chrome and bright work $5,000.00 Wheels and tires $3000.00 Is this what you were expecting?

Good Luck and Enjoy
misunderestimated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 15:57   #11
racer11

My shop space is 25 deep and 43 wide,,,it is enclosed from a pole barn that I have and my shop is one end of the pole barn.

I have a 76 Vet that I drive in the summer and do resto work on it in the winter. The space gives me enuf room to work on the car during the winter and also leave space for another vehicle for maintenance.

I suggest you consider a 2 post lift for your shop,,,I have one and they do not cost a lot,,maybe 15 hundred bucks. You have no idea how much easier it is for working on a vehicle with a lift in your shop and resto work it is a must. One thing you need to consider if you do have a lift is that your 10 ft ceiling is not tall enuf. They make lifts for 10 ft clearance but you will need to make a cut out above the lift for the car to raise high enuf for you to get under the car, I had to do this in my shop since I have a 10 ft ceiling. Another important thing to consider is the area around the car,,,you need lots of room to work around the car,,nothing worse than cramped up against a wall and trying to remove a transmission or something like that.

In my opinion the 20x24 size is cutting it kinda small but workable,,,,you need extra room for a engine hoist and engine stand and somewhere to set a trani or rear end and other parts. What about a welder and cutting torch outfit, drill press and grinder and a big tool chest for all the tools you will need. All that stuff takes up floor space.

I hope I have helped
Old 12-08-2012, 08:26   #12
jono446

Quote:
Originally Posted by misunderestimated View Post
The Okie Corral

I put this together in 2 small Garages. we were cramped.If I was going to build a Garage for a car restoration. I would make it at least 3 bays.A bay for the body ,a bay for the Frame and then a general work area. so at least 32 wide. then the depth should be at least 25 to 30 I would also go as high as possible so you can build a loft area for parts.
storage.I am sure you may know this buts in today's market its cheaper to purchase a car done then to build one.Not even counting the cost of a new Garage.

Good Luck I have seen lots of project started and never finished with a Giant outlay of money and no way out.

I away recommend right a budget then add to it and make sure your able to handle it

Drive train rebuild $8,500.00 Paint and body $8,500.00 to 12,500.00 Interior $4,500.00 Chrome and bright work $5,000.00 Wheels and tires $3000.00 Is this what you were expecting?

Good Luck and Enjoy
Thanks yeah I realize how expensive it's going to be the good thing is I bought the car off of my uncle and he gave it to me so cheap, i have to rebuild the 440 and trans put new quarters, trunk pan, and paint. Interior needs seats recovered and dash pad. It's something I've always wanted to do so I guess we'll see
Old 12-08-2012, 09:43   #13
misunderestimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono446 View Post
Thanks yeah I realize how expensive it's going to be the good thing is I bought the car off of my uncle and he gave it to me so cheap, i have to rebuild the 440 and trans put new quarters, trunk pan, and paint. Interior needs seats recovered and dash pad. It's something I've always wanted to do so I guess we'll see
So with what I said

I found that the journey,was better then the destination.

Meaning I really enjoyed building the car.I finished it in 2005 and it only has 3000 miles on it. Less then 428 miles a year. Don't get me wrong the car drives like a dream.but it seams it was funner to build then drive.

Good Luck on your journey.
misunderestimated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:39   #14
racer11

Quote:
Originally Posted by misunderestimated View Post
So with what I said

I found that the journey,was better then the destination.

Meaning I really enjoyed building the car.I finished it in 2005 and it only has 3000 miles on it. Less then 428 miles a year. Don't get me wrong the car drives like a dream.but it seams it was funner to build then drive.

Good Luck on your journey.
I'm the same way with my Vettie,,,, I know I will get back a fraction of the $$ I invested in the car but I do not plan on selling it in any sense either. Building the engine was fun and rebuilding the chassis front to rear and putting it all back together and then driving down the road is a blast.

I drive almost every weekend in the summer except when the days are really hot and humid or chances of rain. The GF and I go out to eat or just take a day trip around a lake.

When I'm alone in the car Pretty girls wave at me !! I really like that,,,when the GF is with me I get nothing.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:38   #15
JDennis

I restored my 69 mustang in a 15x20, was tight but just had to get creative. A 20x24 should be big enough, but look at going a few sizes up. I am building a 30x40, wanted to go with a 30x30 but the extra 10ft was not much more
JDennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:13   #16
Veedubklown

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoF250 View Post
Most of us would live in a garage with a bathroom, microwave, and bedroom. I need 400 ft of living space, and a 3000 sqft garage.
Old 12-08-2012, 19:35   #17
larry_minn
Silver Membership

HS friend of mine did a restore. Two car garage, AND part of another shed.

As said lifts are "out there" cheap. Local bought TWO and put them on wheels. They were 220V he changed motors (its easy wireing diagram is on cover) to 110v so a extension cord works. He uses them for bulky but LIGHT stuff. (they must be mounted to lift car/anything heavy)
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 20:55   #18
elsolo

I have done everything one could ever need to do in a single car garage, from pulling engines to removing the frame from the body, completely stripping the car down to bare steel, etc.

The problem is, it takes at least three times as long to do anything in a cramped space.

Two car garage is the practical minimum, three car garage is ideal, anything bigger is a dream come true.
elsolo is offline   Reply With Quote