GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 18:08   #26
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 87,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikedzombies View Post
Own no, shot and handled yes. To me they don't shoot any different than a high quality colt or custom gun. But what do I know.



"Sent Via Time Traveling Blue Police Box"
A "custom" gun could mean anything and in some cases they are better than those listed. I don't know how you could compare Colt though.
__________________
.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 19:24   #27
FnKev
Senior Member
 
FnKev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boerne, TX
Posts: 101
I wont even touch the subject of which high end 1911 I think is better made. However, I will tell you that I am 100% satisfied with the Ed Brown Special Forces Carry that I picked up about 2 years ago. Brown 1911's are amazing. Fit and finish are top notch and I shoot it way better than any other handgun I own. The Gen III finish has held up extremely well too. Before I bought mine I checked out the same brands you mentioned, plus Springfield and Colt. If you are going to drop that kind of cash on a 1911, you cant go wrong with any of those options in my opinion. Just get out there and hold as many as you can at gun stores and if its possible, find a way to shoot some as well. Pick what feels best, and looks best , to you and go from there. I cant even tell you how many high end 1911's I held and looked at before I made my final decision. Good luck with your hunt and get ready to become addicted!
__________________


Last edited by FnKev; 11-28-2012 at 19:25..
FnKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 19:44   #28
glock2740
Gun lover.
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NW Ark.
Posts: 18,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by FnKev View Post
I wont even touch the subject of which high end 1911 I think is better made. However, I will tell you that I am 100% satisfied with the Ed Brown Special Forces Carry that I picked up about 2 years ago. Brown 1911's are amazing. Fit and finish are top notch and I shoot it way better than any other handgun I own. The Gen III finish has held up extremely well too. Before I bought mine I checked out the same brands you mentioned, plus Springfield and Colt. If you are going to drop that kind of cash on a 1911, you cant go wrong with any of those options in my opinion. Just get out there and hold as many as you can at gun stores and if its possible, find a way to shoot some as well. Pick what feels best, and looks best , to you and go from there. I cant even tell you how many high end 1911's I held and looked at before I made my final decision. Good luck with your hunt and get ready to become addicted!
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 19:57   #29
HAIL CAESAR
Senior Member
 
HAIL CAESAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In my shop
Posts: 5,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD357 View Post
Wilson as of lately is disappointing with all the price increases to ME, you're just better off going full custom for $3-4K+. That being said, Wilson Combat is the best in terms of building you anything you want and using parts THEY make including their own frames. Nighthawk is a shadow of what it used to be, personally, I'm not a fan when there are several others to consider. Browns are pretty and well made, have a friend that has 20K through his in the last couple years. Baer is still the best deal going on this "tier" of 1911s but you're not gonna get much bling, if you're a shooter then you won't care.
I couldn't have said better.
__________________
Friends don't let friends buy Fusion's.
HAIL CAESAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 21:43   #30
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 87,284
The semi-customs are getting very expensive these days.
__________________
.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:52   #31
FLAWLS1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 141
I've also been considering a Les Baer, but we'll see. I e-mailed Baer a few mins ago
FLAWLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:23   #32
Officer's Match
S.R.D. v
 
Officer's Match's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lancaster, Ohio
Posts: 5,081
I've owned Wilson, Brown, Baer and SACS 1911's (among others) and I'd rate the Baer as easily the best for the money and the most accurate shooter. SACS has better aesthetic qualities (less tool marks inside) and more options, but likely to take longer to find. Never held a Guncrafter but would love to, I hear wonderful things about them. Not a Nighthawk fan so never owned one nor likely will I.
__________________
REAL EYES
REALIZE
REAL LIES
btw, S.R.D. = Strategic Response Dog
Officer's Match is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:09   #33
GOOFA
Senior Member
 
GOOFA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: IL
Posts: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
I own all of the above mentioned, as well as few others, and will say that for the money and quality, I would say that Guncrafter makes THE best semi-custom 1911 for the money out there these days.
+1
__________________
"GLOCK Certified Armorer" since 2009
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gliffe/
GOOFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:36   #34
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 87,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
I would say that Guncrafter makes THE best semi-custom 1911 for the money out there these days.
__________________
.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 19:04   #35
Turtle Dude
Senior Member
 
Turtle Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAWLS1 View Post
Anyone here own one of these makes? I may sell a few things to get one. I like the CQB, CQB Elite, Kobra Carry, GRP, Talon, T3's. If you have experience with these what brand would you say is better made?
almost thirty years ago I sent a 70 series to Bill wilson to be modified to mimic the gun Robbie Leatham was using to win IPSC world championships. Since I was a pin shooter first, and an IPSC shooter second I had it made in 45. I won tons of pin shoots with it and after 90,000 or so rounds its still shooting well though I don't shoot it much anymore since the pin league at the range where I shot was ended several years ago.

I think the total cost was around 1500 dollars. I have seen several current ones and that same range has several Ed Browns and Nighthawks

really nice guns but I don't know if they are worth 1000-2000 more than say the top of the line Kimber I have or the two top of the line Rock River Arms I bought several years ago (a pair for 4K)

I also have two of Les Baer's first run of Premier IIs. also great guns for the money.
__________________
Because Liberalism is a permanent vegetative state

Last edited by Turtle Dude; 12-05-2012 at 19:05..
Turtle Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 20:00   #36
glock2740
Gun lover.
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NW Ark.
Posts: 18,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Dude View Post
almost thirty years ago I sent a 70 series to Bill wilson to be modified to mimic the gun Robbie Leatham was using to win IPSC world championships. Since I was a pin shooter first, and an IPSC shooter second I had it made in 45. I won tons of pin shoots with it and after 90,000 or so rounds its still shooting well though I don't shoot it much anymore since the pin league at the range where I shot was ended several years ago.

I think the total cost was around 1500 dollars. I have seen several current ones and that same range has several Ed Browns and Nighthawks

really nice guns but I don't know if they are worth 1000-2000 more than say the top of the line Kimber I have or the two top of the line Rock River Arms I bought several years ago (a pair for 4K)

I also have two of Les Baer's first run of Premier IIs. also great guns for the money.
Cool story. Post a pic of your gun. As for the Kimber and Rock River, those two are a long ways apart in quality. My Rock River is on par with alot of semi-customs. They made a damn fine 1911.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 18:59   #37
Parausa
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 82
Of my 2 Wilson's, my Les Baer Thunder Ranch and my Ed Brown Kobra Carry, I find that all are excellent shooters. Extremely accurate, tight actions, excellent triggers and fit and finish on all is exceptional. Not being a large guy (5'11" and 195 lbs.) when I want to carry a 5" bbl I prefer the Les Baer as it is extremely thin, but I carry the Ed Brown Kobra Carry 2 to 1 more than the others. It affords the best balance between accuracy, carry comfort, weight and concealability. Tough choice when you are looking at all these great options. Good luck!
Parausa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 21:32   #38
Ruggles
Senior Member
 
Ruggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tejas
Posts: 8,398
It sucks to have to choose but then again it is sweet to have a problem like this in the first place So many good ones to choose from these days.

I also agree these days with the price increases of the last few years the semi customs are becoming less and less attractive to buy to me. I am pretty sure that the one I am waiting on now will be my last for that reason. But seeing how I have been waiting since Feb for it I guess other do not share my view. These makers are as busy as ever with new orders.
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 21:47   #39
glock2740
Gun lover.
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NW Ark.
Posts: 18,905
I may get a few more semi-custom's, but don't really have any on the radar right now. Planning on a few builds that I have in the works as well as some "upgrades" to some present 1911's.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 22:17   #40
Rally Vincent
Bipolar
 
Rally Vincent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: The Bar.
Posts: 1,115


Get something by Novak.
__________________
"There is no creature on earth half so terrifying as a truly just man."
Niners Club Member - #196
1911 Club Member - #001
"All evil comes from the old.They grow fat on ideas and young men die of them."
Rally Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 14:00   #41
matt_lowry123
Senior Member
 
matt_lowry123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: owensboro KY
Posts: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Oh no, you didn't?!!
matt_lowry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 17:37   #42
Ruggles
Senior Member
 
Ruggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tejas
Posts: 8,398
I do like this one, I could see myself buying one of these beauties

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/index....p139e0fkz1n301

I really like the basic nature of this 1911.

Anyone have a C&S 1911 or BHP?
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 17:59   #43
glock2740
Gun lover.
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NW Ark.
Posts: 18,905
Just added a built this June 2012 Nighthawk Falcon in black Nitride to the stable today. I will say, that while I'm not sold on NH as much these days as I was in their early days, this one is built extremely well. Shoots lights out too.


1911 Forums

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

Last edited by glock2740; 12-07-2012 at 18:00..
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 18:09   #44
Ruggles
Senior Member
 
Ruggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tejas
Posts: 8,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
Just added a built this June 2012 Nighthawk Falcon in black Nitride to the stable today. I will say, that while I'm not sold on NH as much these days as I was in their early days, this one is built extremely well. Shoots lights out too.


1911 Forums

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

1911 Forums
Now see crap like this is not conducive to my plan to not buy more semi custom 1911s Stop it already!

Last edited by Ruggles; 12-07-2012 at 18:10..
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 18:12   #45
glock2740
Gun lover.
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NW Ark.
Posts: 18,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
Now see crap like this is not conducive to my plan to not buy more semi custom 1911s Stop it already!
Sorry man...................NOT!

glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 18:17   #46
Ruggles
Senior Member
 
Ruggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tejas
Posts: 8,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
Sorry man...................NOT!

We should require warnings on posts with pics of 1911s, something along the line of

"Warning, pictures attached that may influence you to spend way too much money on a 1911 that you know you really do not need anyways. Proceed at you own risk and don't cry & moan if you drop $2500 or more on a gun that only holds 9 rounds"

Should be a federal law, I am contacting the Big O to see if I can get it passed.....
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 18:34   #47
glock2740
Gun lover.
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NW Ark.
Posts: 18,905
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 18:45   #48
sawgrass
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
We should require warnings on posts with pics of 1911s, something along the line of

"Warning, pictures attached that may influence you to spend way too much money on a 1911 that you know you really do not need anyways. Proceed at you own risk and don't cry & moan if you drop $2500 or more on a gun that only holds 9 rounds"

Should be a federal law, I am contacting the Big O to see if I can get it passed.....
yep...
sawgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 19:03   #49
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 87,284
Yeah, this site has cost me a many tens of thousands of dollars.
__________________
.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 19:13   #50
glock2740
Gun lover.
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NW Ark.
Posts: 18,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Yeah, this site has cost me a many tens of thousands of dollars.
What the hell are YOU talking about?!?! YOU'VE cost us hundreds of thousands of dollars!!!

glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 23:46.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 899
246 Members
653 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42