Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 07:08   #21
Lowjiber

I read this thread an hour ago, but haven't been able to get it out of my mind since.

I'm hardly a gunsmith, but cannot logically figure out how a striker-fired Glock can fire without having the trigger go through its normal cycle.

That being said, I have a Serpa holster that I only wear when working in the yard. I've been looking at it for the past hour and can't see any way that the trigger can get pulled. The OP's discharge has scared the heck outta me, and my Serpa is staying in the drawer until we hear an answer that explains the issue.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Old 12-03-2012, 07:13   #22
.38 super
Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landsharkleather View Post
Or get a leather holster. Leather being softer would never be able to engage a glock trigger. Just my two cents.
.... No soft leather around any trigger !
Very strange... I cannot think about any scenario, combination of gun/holster, that will work the action when the gun is on it's site, in horizontal position...
Thanks God, nobody got hurt...
Florida Glockers Club #1964
Калашников Клуб №1000
Old 12-03-2012, 08:36   #23
fuzzy03cls

Quote:
It was in a Serpa Holster
All I needed to hear. Dump it. There's a reason most trainers ban this holster.
Sucks it happened to you & I'm glad no one was hurt.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:43   #24
SPIN2010
Searching ...

Interesting.

I have been carrying SERPA holsters for over three years on about every Glock and SIG out there (never had an issue).

Any polish job on the G23 per chance?
Old 12-03-2012, 08:50   #25
ron59
Bustin Caps

Have you done ANY trigger work to the gun (ie connector, springs, polishing, etc) ??

Completely stock is one thing, a *bad* trigger job is something altogether different. You can easily get the gun to start firing doubles or even fully auto if you remove material from the wrong place.

Quote:
“WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!”
Old 12-03-2012, 09:07   #26
plouffedaddy

I think Sturm explains it well. As DannyR said; this is certainly not the first time this has happened.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Certified Glock Armorer
Old 12-03-2012, 09:14   #27
todd_g

I agree with Ron and others that have also mentioned it, has the 23 had any additional massaging or shade tree gunsmithing, that will be most important thing to look at before you start looking at a defective holster.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:33   #28

Very well done video.

Doesn't explain this latest incident.

I have one of these holsters and thank goodness haven't used it yet. Don't think I will!

Very interested to see how Blackhawk responds!
Old 12-03-2012, 09:43   #29
clarkz71

Quote:
Originally Posted by cglaspel View Post
Well after I walk into the house and put groceries etc down, I take my NEW G23 gen 4 in the holster off of my belt, and set it down on my kitchen table....as I sent it down THE PISTOL FIRES!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by .38 super View Post
.... No soft leather around any trigger !
Very strange... I cannot think about any scenario, combination of gun/holster, that will work the action when the gun is on it's site, in horizontal position...
Thanks God, nobody got hurt...
Unlike that video the OP never tried to remove the
pistol from the holster. I have to say replace that holster.
Even a Glock sport holster
is safer then that for the price point

I have a Milt Sparks custom holster myself.

6 Month wait & pricey, but well worth it.
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923

Last edited by clarkz71; 12-03-2012 at 09:45..
Old 12-03-2012, 09:55   #30
kodiakpb

Quote:
I take my NEW G23 gen 4 in the holster off of my belt, and set it down on my kitchen table....as I sent it down THE PISTOL FIRES!! Right into my living room wall!!!

...It was in a Serpa Holster
As mentioned...it's the holster. Get rid of that unsafe POS. Just because people have used them without incident does not mean it is a safe design. People routinely carry with clipdraws with nothing protecting the trigger as well....that doesn't mean it is a foolproof carry method. My recommendation is to invest in a quality kydex holster that properly secures the weapon and protects the trigger.

Last edited by kodiakpb; 12-03-2012 at 09:58..
Old 12-03-2012, 10:10   #31
Made in Austria

I am glad you are still alive man. There are only three possibilities why this happened. There was either something wrong with the holster, or someone messed with the firing pin safety block (not properly installed, installed without the firing pin safety spring, etc. and/or the trigger mechanism. Either way, since you don't know what the accidental discharge caused, I'd send that gun to Glock for inspection with a dicription of what happened.

Last edited by Made in Austria; 12-03-2012 at 10:15..
Old 12-03-2012, 10:42   #32
RPVG

YIKES! Glad to hear no one was hurt.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:02   #33
00Glazz

Ok, talked to blackhawk today, they basically just had me give them all my info, the holster part numbers, general incident info, and they are having me ship it back to them free of charge! They seemed very worried and concerned so thats a plus! Havent called glock yet because I dont want to believe its the pistol. Gunna rule the holster out first.

The glock is completely bone stock. No mods done etc. I bought this one brand new not even a month ago. Have never had issues yet.

This is the first time I had even heard of serpas having this many issues, otherwise I would have never bought it! Luckily I have plenty of other holsters that fit it. I bought the Serpa a few days ago which was the main reason I even was carrying in it. Just kinda wanted to test it out etc.

Hopefully people with Serpa holsters read this and think twice!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 12-03-2012, 11:03   #34
00Glazz

Also have field stripped and checked everything on the glock and it all seems to be perfect.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:04   #35
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR View Post
This is not the first AD incident with a Blackhawk Serpa holster. I know the name "Blackhawk" sounds cool, but the design is questionable. Get a Blade-tech. Even an inexpensive Glock factory holster is better.
Come on, Danny! I’m sure you know better than that. The problem Blackhawk had with the original SERPA holsters was completely remedied more than 5 years ago. The only problem people have with SERPA holsters, today, is that far too many modern day, ‘pistoleros’ (and I use the term lightly) have undisciplined and lazy trigger fingers. (In fact, anyone who’s watched Tex Grebner’s AD video has already heard Tex admit that he made this mistake!)

I own several Blade-Tech holsters. They are nice pieces of Kydex; however, the screws are exposed on the inside; and my Glock slides show many very fine hairline scratches that have all been caused by the frequent holster draws I do. What plastic holster do I usually draw from nowadays? Ahh, …… I think it’s called a Blackhawk something or other.

As for using a Glock factory holster? Those things are slower than cold molasses to draw from; and, when you carry in C-3 the way that I usually do, you really can't afford to use any holster as slow as this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post
http://youtu.be/GDpxVG9XFJc

I think Sturm explains it well. As DannyR said; this is certainly not the first time this has happened.
NOT A VALID CITICISM! (Read what the OP initially said.)

For the past 10 years I have repeatedly posted that civilians who carry their Glocks around all of the time in C-1 are taking needless risks with: their own, their family’s, and other people’s personal safety; but, this is the Internet; and in cyberspace human stupidity always seems to reign supreme.

For the past 6 years, or so, I have also repeatedly posted that Glock trigger mechanisms can be STACKED; but, again, this is cyberspace; and the best and brightest of advice often goes, ‘sailing on by’, high overhead, and completely unnoticed.

To the OP: I think your Glock trigger mechanism, ‘stacked’ on you, man; and I’ve done enough Glock trigger jobs, now, to fully understand, ‘How’ this can be induced to happen. In fact I believe that the recent modification made to, both, Gen 3 and Gen 4 sear, ‘kick plates’ was, specifically, done by the factory in order to lessen the chances for the trigger bar to stack.

My personal suggestion to you would be to stop routinely carrying you’re Glock in C-1. Trust me on this: Your manhood will survive.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:13   #36
clarkz71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post

As for using a Glock factory holster? Those things are slower than cold molasses to draw from; and, when you carry in C-3 the way that I usually do, you really can't afford to use any holster as slow as this.
Well he has a $29 holster from that link so.

And I don't recall hearing about any AD or NG from a Glock holster.

With practice you can learn to draw quickly
from any holster. Or are you saying Glock
sells unsafe holsters that cannot be drawn
from in a safe amount of time in a SD situation?

You seem knowledgeable about this topic
and I'd like to learn from someone with
more experience then myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
For the past 6 years, or so, I have also repeatedly posted that Glock trigger mechanisms can be STACKED

My personal suggestion to you would be to stop routinely carrying you’re Glock in C-1. Trust me on this: Your manhood will survive.
Are you saying we should carry our Glocks with no round in the chamber? I've been doing it for 20 years, carry my 1911's cocked & locked as well

And explain how a bone stock Glock can stack the trigger if nothing
touches it?
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923

Last edited by clarkz71; 12-04-2012 at 10:29..
Old 12-03-2012, 11:17   #37
T-Rod45
Loves The Glock

All I can say is thank GOD it wasn't a 10mm... It would have surely penetrated the outside wall and blown up your neighbors house...
•23 Gen4 (/19 conversion)
•M&P •Ruger •Smith&Wesson •Kel-Tec •Mossberg •LWRC •Glades Gun Works
Old 12-03-2012, 11:27   #38
captcurly

Glad that nobody was injured. I believe like many others that this was a holster issue. I remember reading several months ago that a Federal Trng.Facility in either NC or SC had an issue with the Sherpa holster. This facility banned the use of the Sherpa holster. I must warn you that I could be having a Senior Moment but I did read this a while ago. Sorry everyone I was unable to view the vid before my post. Yep,these things happen when one gets older.

Last edited by captcurly; 12-03-2012 at 11:36.. Reason: Was not able to view the vid.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:28   #39
PEC-Memphis
Scottish Member

Quote:
Also have field stripped and checked everything on the glock and it all seems to be perfect.

Did you check sear engagement? If you don't know how, find a glock armorer. Some of the gun shops have factory certified armorers.

There shouldn't be enough energy in the FP spring to set off a primer in the pre-cocked condition - but you never know. As others have said - it is more likely that something pulled the trigger.

Keep us informed.

Tx
Old 12-03-2012, 11:36   #40
jthrelf

going to be super careful with my serpa now... even though I never use it

come to think about it i've only tryed it on with my 17's trigger not set... i'll investigate mine but this is very scary

Closed Thread