SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:39   #21
cookselk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUT View Post
>>I find that my OLD reading glasses (minus 1/2 diopter from my reading Rx) focus pretty well on the front sight.<<

Like this, I've found my "computer" glasses do the trick as well.
I read on the Decot

http://www.sportglasses.com/content/Articles.htm

website that a prescription that is about 1/2 of your normal reading glasses prescription would be about right for pistol shooting. If your normal correction is +2.00 then try +1.50. In other words you want something that focuses a bit further out than your front sight leaving it in a slight blur. They speak of accomodation, or our ability to focus (in my case strain) your eyes beyond our normal range.

I haven't gone to my eye doctor to get a pair yet but I'm going to have to. I went shooting the other day and while I was doing ok on the paper targets, the steel plates were a struggle. I was more in zen mode not looking or rather not seeing the front sight. I'm going to have to try some of these other options such as the tru-glos.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:07   #22
grandpajay

monovision

I'm 56 and at the trifocal stage. The internet has many low cost options for glasses to try things out. $25 will go a long ways just to experiment-I use Zenni Optical. I went in to my Walmart optometrist last time and asked him about seeing my front sight better. He had me stick out my arms to hold my "gun" and measured from my eyes to the end of my pointing finger and then gave me a prescription to that point. He says he does this for golfers that want to see the ball on the tee better. Then all I do is order glasses that have the distance correction for my left eye and the front sight correction for my right (right hand/dominant). My brain somehow translates all this and gives me both a fairly clear target and sight picture. It's just a mix and match of prescriptions. I've played around with contacts to do this, too. It gets pretty complicated when I try to get some bifocals to work in this scenario. "Monovision" is really common for laser surgery. All this said, these won't be the glasses on my nightstand for the middle of the night response. Maybe if I didn't leave them in the range bag...

Jay

No avatars, no smileys, no pithy quote-just plain me.
grandpajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:49   #23
1eyedjack
Old Pirate

I like the new Trijicon HD sights with the orange front sight outline with no outline on the rear sight, part# GL101O. Put a set on my G17 Gen4 and will get another set to replace the old Mepro's on my G23 Gen2. Getting old ain't for sissies...
Old 04-12-2012, 09:59   #24
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUT View Post
>>I find that my OLD reading glasses (minus 1/2 diopter from my reading Rx) focus pretty well on the front sight.<<

Like this, I've found my "computer" glasses do the trick as well.

Works for me also...
LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 14:48   #25
ca survivor

I have Heine, Slant Pros, all black, it's a tall sight and it works for me, I'm 60 too
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 17:52   #26
packinaglock
John 3:16 <><

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryC09 View Post
If you're wearing bifocals, try getting a pair of glasses that are progressive instead. ! quit shooting for around 15 years due to poor eyesight. I'm 62 now, and since my cataracts got had enough for lens implants I can focus on things again. The bifocals still sucked for shooting, though. However, last month I got a pair of progressive grind eyeglasses and now shooting is fun again. I rented a G26 shortly after getting the new eyeglasses and it was so ejoyable to shoot I bought a new G19 & G26 of my own along with an annual range membership. Progressive grind eyeglasses might be a bigger improvement than new sights for a lot of us old guys. I'd still like nightsights, but I'd want to try them out in dim light before buying them. I like the way the tritium hands on my watch are equally visible whether it's bright sun, dusk or late at night.
I'm going to have to look into this, I'm 50 and use TFO Tru Glo's on most of my Glocks they help pretty well.
Old 04-12-2012, 18:13   #27
MikeG36

Great thread. I'm in my early 50s and starting to have some of these issues. I've been using trifocals and moving my head to different positions to get a good sight and target picture. There are some great ideas here and I'm going to try a few of them out.
MikeG36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 20:30   #28
R.O.C.

Truglo TFO all the way...
R.O.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 20:33   #29
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

Occupational lenses (i.e. trifocals) with the top part set at +1 for arms-length focus.

Works for me, for any sights.
Old 11-26-2012, 21:17   #30
Douglas Orlob

Old eyes

Nobody would say that a 24" ruler is the same as a 12" ruler however when it comes to optics people say that they are the same all the time. Measure the distance from your shooting eye to your front sight when fully extended. Divide that in to 40.
Example : say it measures 30"s. 40/30 =1.3 so a + 1.25 reader will give you very good focus on your front sight. However it will blurr your distance. Now if you you are nearsighted -1.25 diopters then you are already in focus at about 30"s tell me what your distance correction with your shooting eye is and I can tell you the power that will work for you.
Doug Orlob
Douglas Orlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 21:51   #31
shotgunred
reloading nut

I hate bifocals. For shootimg I get my distance correction only.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 23:35   #32
cfec2008

I love my xs big dot sights on my glock 19. The big dot is impossible not to see.
cfec2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:22   #33
harleytech

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRJ1911 View Post
I also have 61yr old eyes. I have many different brands but the best I have found for me are TruGlo TFO's. I like The fact that they are bright day and night. Hope this helps

Doyle
+1...!!
Its whats on mine...
Old 11-30-2012, 06:54   #34
Java Junky

Samey-same problem jb.
'Just last night installed a set of the BigDots on my 23 and am going down to dial them in this morning.
They seem to help me acquire more quickly.
If you hear whimperin' from this direction you'll know that even sights just this side'a braille couldn't help me.
Good luck.
Java Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:03   #35
G36_Me

Here is the setup I am currently going with on my G26. There are great for carry and self defense. Easy and quick to pick up. These are not "target" sights, you just line it up and shoot. At night the dots in the rear light up, so works in all conditions. I have similar old eyes and can pick these up even without glasses on. If I take my glasses off, I cannot even see what I'm typing.

Sights, Optics and Lasers
Glock Professional Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
G36_Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:34   #36
Douglas Orlob

Take a look at "Milpro Occluder sight on Utube" He has chosen to use the green fiber. It's not a night sight yet but you can still see the sights in the evening when it's too dark to see a target.
Old 12-02-2012, 17:33   #37
gator378
Gator378

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1911 View Post
I'll be 60 this August and can't see like I used to. Have any of you geezers found a good set of sights that I can put on my G26?
65 and welcome to club. I finally had to relent and get a red dot for the Glock. Could not see the standard sights very good anymore. The red dot made a big difference.
Old 12-02-2012, 18:25   #38
Douglas Orlob

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator378 View Post
65 and welcome to club. I finally had to relent and get a red dot for the Glock. Could not see the standard sights very good anymore. The red dot made a big difference.
Old eyes just loose the ability to change focus. It has been a problem for ever. There are many ways to solve this problem but you need to have a good Optician to help you. It usually means a compromise.
Some were between the front sight and target you have to come to a compromise.
It can be done but it takes patients and good communication.
Old 12-02-2012, 18:40   #39
RRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Orlob View Post
~
It can be done but it takes patients and good communication.
I have no patience as a patient.
RRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 20:18   #40
onebigelf

Same problem. Over 40 eye disease. If I'm wearing my contacts so that I can see at a distance, I can't see up close and get a clear front sight picture. Went to a Trijicon RMR. I don't know why, but I can see the dot just fine. Shooting is awesome.

John
onebigelf is offline   Reply With Quote