GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 21:23   #226
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critias View Post
You continue to state this interpretation of events as though it's the only possible way it could have happened, and continue to pointedly ignore those who are pointing out all manner of other reasons that young man might have jumped in the water to save his dog. There is absolutely no reason to assume he did so because he was raised to think dogs are his equal; no reason at all.

That you persist in this so stubbornly, and refuse to meaningfully engage those who are pointing out the holes in your argument, tells me you're not terribly worth continuing to have a discussion with. Congratulations. You're trolling about a family's death. How terribly Christ-like of you.
Ow c'mon he has his own special Bible with commandments

1) Thou shalt be judgemental for thou art "special"

2) Thou shalt not question thine own statements for thou art "special"

3) Thou shall go forth and pontificate for thou art "special"

4) Thou needs not consider the words of others for thou art "special"

5) Do not use the name of the Short Bus in vain.

6) Honor thy Mother and Father and Eff everyone elses

etc.


(apologies if I have accidentalyy offended any good Christians, that was not my intent)

Last edited by countrygun; 11-30-2012 at 03:04..
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 22:05   #227
RPVG
Senior Member
 
RPVG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
"... There's no honor among animals..."
Bingo! And that's because there's no morality among ("lower") animals.

They do what they do cuz it's what they're wired up to do. There's no choice betewwn Right and Wrong among animals. Humans, OTOH, are blessed/cursed with a set of morals that guides us, instead of/in addition to pure animal instinct.

Having said that, I'm a dog lover all the way. I'm the guy who keeps "doggie treats" in his glove box in case I get to meet a strange dog. I love to wrestle with dogs. I love to scratch 'em behind the ear, trade kisses with 'em, rub noses with them, and just "bond" with them. To me, there's something special about dogs. Dog spelled backwards is...

But they're not human. You'll never see one make an immoral choice. They can't. They're not capable of it.
RPVG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:48   #228
RayB
Retired Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 10,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPVG View Post
But they're not human. You'll never see one make an immoral choice. They can't. They're not capable of it.

Not speaking specifically about dogs here, but deviant, even criminal animal behavior has indeed been documented...

One very good (true story) movie on the subject is:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116409/

NETFLIX has it.

--Ray
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:13   #229
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayB View Post
Not speaking specifically about dogs here, but deviant, even criminal animal behavior has indeed been documented...

One very good (true story) movie on the subject is:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116409/

NETFLIX has it.

--Ray
Great movie. I had heard the story a longtime before the movie.

I think you would have a hard time making a case that their behavior was "criminal" because in order to be such they would have to be convicted or capable of being convicted and really, any chimp that had passed the bar exam could get them off on an insanity defense since you would have a hard time proving they had Mens Rea to be considered responsible for their actions, unless, of course, it was a kangaroo court.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:25   #230
TKM
Lifetime Membership
Shiny Member
 
TKM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Just another ball of mud.
Posts: 3,268
Could Kingarthur....... please change his user name so I no longer despise any otherwise innocent historical figure?
__________________
Hey, I've been in a firefight before!
Well, I was in a fire.
Actually, I was fired from a fry-cook opportunity.
TKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:32   #231
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.
 
NeverMore1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Amarillo, Tx
Posts: 27,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post
Could Kingarthur....... please change his user name so I no longer despise any otherwise innocent historical figure?
Something like "I'maGiantBag", perhaps?
__________________
And if we should die tonight
We should all die together
Raise a glass of wine
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:30   #232
RayB
Retired Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 10,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Great movie. I had heard the story a longtime before the movie.

I think you would have a hard time making a case that their behavior was "criminal" because in order to be such they would have to be convicted or capable of being convicted and really, any chimp that had passed the bar exam could get them off on an insanity defense since you would have a hard time proving they had Mens Rea to be considered responsible for their actions, unless, of course, it was a kangaroo court.

True enough, I used the term, "criminal" figuratively. Still...

Typically, except for when teaching their young, the big cats kill smoothly and efficiently, and they don't kill for kicks and giggles—they kill for food or to defend against an immediate threat. In short, they kill for a practical purpose.

The aforementioned movie is about two male lions, living together in a cave, that terrorized and killed for the sheer fun of it, and even collected trophies of their prey—a behavior that is almost human, from a criminal POV.

This is among the movies I own.

Another fine movie I recently watched and plan to purchase:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1703148/

NETFLIX also has this one.

--Ray
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:29   #233
JuneyBooney
Senior Member
 
JuneyBooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 15,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/26...g-to-save-dog/

Ironically, the only survivor was the dog. When people overly anthropomorphize animals into pseudo-humans, this sort of thing happens. No dog is worth the death of an entire family.
Well, they are clearly in heaven. That is a selfless sacrifice. May they rest in peace.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:04   #234
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!
 
Arc Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Penn's Woods
Posts: 10,956
Blog Entries: 55
Life can be strange. It really, really can. I once owned two superlatively well-trained American Pitbull Terriers. I could put those dogs, ‘on or off a man’ from 50 yards away with nothing more than my voice or a hand signal. For years not a day went by that I didn’t spend an hour, or so, working with them. I don’t think the male dog was ever 100%, ‘tame’; that feral spark was always in him; BUT, he was obedient; and that was his redeeming virtue. On the other hand, over a period of several years, the female and I very closely bonded. I actually had the ability to simply look at her, make eye contact, and she would do whatever I wanted her to do.

The problem I had with her was that she trusted me too well, and was willing to take enormous chances with her physical well-being IF she thought that was what I wanted. Her redeeming virtue (and an occasional lifesaver) was the fact that she was totally obedient, would often watch my eyes, and then do exactly what I signaled her to do. Both Bulldogs knew their right from their left; and I could easily turn them from a hundred yards away to search in whatever direction I wanted. (The female was a champion search and rescue dog that had the finest, ‘nose’ of any animal I’ve, personally, ever worked with.)

So, one day, an intruder enters our home, finds me helpless and on crutches, standing in the middle of the living room; and, the instant that our eyes met, I knew, ‘Why’ he was there. If we didn’t keep those two dogs inside our home, there’s a high probability that I wouldn’t be typing this right now. After the events of that morning, we ended up with two superlatively well-trained and COMPLETELY USELESS attack/guard dogs. Why? Because I loved the both of them so much that I was no longer willing to place either of their lives at risk - THAT is, ‘Why’!

Would I have risked my own life in order to save one of theirs? I suspect that I probably would have for the male; and I definitely would have - in fact I, later on, did - for the female. I look at it this way: If a dog is willing to die for me, why shouldn’t I be willing to do just as much for the dog? Someone once said to me, ‘Dogs are just, ‘little people in fur coats.’ Personally, I believe that remark.

Each of us proceeds through life and towards death in his own way. True story: In 2009 I had a severe episode of congestive heart failure; and I died, twice, while I was in the hospital. ‘Why’ I survived I haven’t the slightest idea? Not the slightest! I should be dead; but, I’m still here. Last year, and all of a sudden, I got this overwhelming desire to buy a high end smoke and carbon monoxide detector - One with all the, ‘bells and whistles’ on it. I go on the Internet, find one, and order it in. As soon as it arrived I got out my toolbox and mounted it to the wall. All the while I had no idea, ‘Why’ I felt that I had to have one of these things? (It made no sense because we already had some cheapy-cheapy smoke detectors.)

About two months after I installed this high end, dual sensor detector in our home, I’m sitting at my desk, doing what I’m doing now; and, so help me, all of a sudden I wake up with my face in the keyboard, a body that doesn’t want to work, our beautiful Maine Coon Cat biting hard into my leg, and the new detector screaming like an air raid siren!

My brain didn't want to work. I looked at the door and said a prayer asking God to help me to get there. My feet felt like lead! I was very uncoordinated; and, when I got to the door, I couldn’t make my hands work in order to turn the door knob. I had just so much strength left; and, on my last try, I used both hands to finally make that knob turn. The door finally opened, and I stumbled out onto the porch.

It took two or three minutes for my coordination to, sort of, return; and, when it did, I held my breath as I ran back into the house and began opening all the windows up. My wife wasn’t home; but me, our Bulldog, and three cats, all, made it out alive. What had happened was that a water pipe had ruptured underneath the house; and the plumber was using a large propane heater in order to dry out the flooring. Carbon monoxide was, of course, a byproduct of all that heat. (Duh!)

When I went back into the house in order to get those windows open I knew that I was risking my life; but, for the past 6 years my three, ‘best friends’ have been my wife, and two very beautiful - and much smarter than you might think - cats!

You go as you go.’ 2009, and 2011 were NOT my time to leave. (I don’t know, ‘Why’?) As far as the people in the originating news story go? It WAS their time. There are any number of disbelieving atheists on this board who - I am certain - are going to go, ‘straight to Hell’ when they die. No matter how someone dies, though, if the circumstances of his death are, ‘agreeable to God’ (If you are able to benefit yourself by passing with a clear conscience.) then, as far as I’m concerned, your soul is going to be that much better off for it.

Remember, ‘He’s the God of the Living, not of the dead.’ What’s one lifetime, anyway! Christ said, ‘In my Father’s house there are, ‘many mansions’. I suggest that all those who are dismayed by, both, this event and these deaths should, at the very least, change their spiritual point-of-view.

Last edited by Arc Angel; 11-30-2012 at 07:31..
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:13   #235
GreenDrake
Rip Lips
 
GreenDrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 7,635
It sounds like your god is trying to kill you.
__________________
"Can you FLY, Bobby?"
P229 EDC
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:31   #236
Paul7
New Guy
 
Paul7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East of Eden
Posts: 13,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
What does my being a carnivore have to do with my pets?

Do you eat your pets on a regular basis?

My pets give me comfort and entertainment. My pets don't vote for Democrats or Republicans. My pets don't go and rape & kill others because of religious beliefs.
Dogs kill people regularly.
__________________
“I don’t believe that people should be able to own guns.” Obama to John R. Lott Jr. in a private conversation at the University of Chicago.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:49   #237
Java Junky
Senior Member
 
Java Junky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 154
Do they take requests?
Java Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:15   #238
Kilrain
Señor Member
 
Kilrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: On the road to Shambala
Posts: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
Dogs kill people regularly.
Not nearly as regularly as people kill dogs. And I'm not referring to humane euthanasia for medical reasons or population control or some other valid reason, I'm referring to sickos like md2lgyk. Unfortunately, the world is full of them.

__________________
For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen.

- Sterling Archer

Last edited by Kilrain; 11-30-2012 at 12:16..
Kilrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 13:18   #239
cesaros
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: next to USMC03Grunt
Posts: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/26...g-to-save-dog/

Ironically, the only survivor was the dog. When people overly anthropomorphize animals into pseudo-humans, this sort of thing happens. No dog is worth the death of an entire family.
My MWD (Military Working Dog) is like family, and he would sacrifice his life for mine.

Considering our job is to find explosives, as well as find criminals who run away...he protects me every day, and I have no doubt he would give his life to protect me. Would I do the same...I think I would...It's a bond and a love that people like you will never understand.

This year, an MWD was shot 5 times and still continued to protect her handler while in Afghanistan...if that's not love and commitment, I don't know what is...Our dogs are certainly NOT trained to do that.

here is a pic of my dog Rudo, posing for the camera.

Last edited by cesaros; 01-21-2013 at 00:51..
cesaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 15:06   #240
Prodigal Sailor
Registered User
 
Prodigal Sailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
This thread was started on a false premise, a twisting of the facts and flawed logic so egergious that it has forced me to go to an horrifying extreme---I am forced to agree with "gunhaver".

The "rescue was a cluster *****. started by the boy going after the dog BUT I have to ask, unless this kid was raised on a farm and used to killing his 4-H projects, would it be considered "normal" for a kid to just watch a family pet die?

Don't we generally get concerned about kids who can watch animals die?

It was the job of the parents to be "in charge" at the beach. It is a dangerous place and I live very close to the same type of beach. It is not a place where you can afford not to pay attention. Several things failed, but a kid being concerned about his pet wasn't the stupid part of the tragedy.
What a silly requirement in these post-Modern days-> "parents...'in charge'"? What are you thinking? :-)
Prodigal Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 15:46   #241
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Sailor View Post
What a silly requirement in these post-Modern days-> "parents...'in charge'"? What are you thinking? :-)
You are right, I deserve a facepalm for that. I don't know what I was thinking.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 16:49   #242
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9
 
Kingarthurhk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
You a assuming something is "obvious" merely to fit your agenda. It is not "obvious" that he was taught that dogs are human.

He might care for animals enough to have taken the risk, knowing they aren't "Human", but just because he cared.

or

He might just as well have gone after some object that was being washed out because he didn't want it to get washed out, no thinking it was "human" at all. Living right at the ocean I have seen many people go out further than they really should for many reasons, a freaking beach towel for instance. I am sure they didn't think the beach towel was "human"

You don't really know squat about his motives, you just jumped on the report and interpreted it in a way that fit your beliefs.

I dare you to prove that he thought the dog was "human".
Given the reaction here about pet worship. I really don't have to assume to hard.
__________________
Glock 17, 19, 20SF, 21C, 22, 26, 27, Glock E-Tool, Glock knife
Quod ego haereticus appellari sequere Jesum.
Kingarthurhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 16:55   #243
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
Given the reaction here about pet worship. I really don't have to assume to hard.
No you don't, I am sure it come easily and naturally for you.

You can even do it without evidence. You have a talent alright.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 18:31   #244
Kilrain
Señor Member
 
Kilrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: On the road to Shambala
Posts: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
Given the reaction here about pet worship.
Well, at least pets are real, unlike what you worship.........
__________________
For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen.

- Sterling Archer

Last edited by Kilrain; 11-30-2012 at 18:32..
Kilrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 19:24   #245
Lone Wolf8634
Misanthrope
 
Lone Wolf8634's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Under the bus
Posts: 6,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
Given the reaction here about pet worship. I really don't have to assume to hard.

You really are a few sammiches short of a full pic-a-nic basket...ehhh Boo-boo?

Because our pets lives are precious to us and we would go to extremes to preserve them..... now we worship them

At least I can see my dog.
__________________
"Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self esteem, be sure that you are not, in fact, surrounded by A-holes." - William Gibson

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson
Lone Wolf8634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 19:24   #246
Cali-Glock
Mountain Man
 
Cali-Glock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: California Sierra Mnts
Posts: 11,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayB View Post
Not speaking specifically about dogs here, but deviant, even criminal animal behavior has indeed been documented...

One very good (true story) movie on the subject is:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116409/

NETFLIX has it.

--Ray
The movie was 99% Hollywood nonsense storytelling. This movie is the most egregeous example of Hollywood claiming "true story" when it is not.
__________________
1 Corinthians 2:2
I may be from Cali, but I ain't no yankee!

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds
Cali-Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 19:31   #247
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wolf8634 View Post
You really are a few sammiches short of a full pic-a-nic basket...ehhh Boo-boo?

Because our pets lives are precious to us and we would go to extremes to preserve them..... now we worship them

At least I can see my dog.

He is so full of creative assumptions I think he is just jealous because most people like their dogs more than they like him.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 19:37   #248
RayB
Retired Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 10,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Glock View Post
The movie was 99% Hollywood nonsense storytelling. This movie is the most egregeous example of Hollywood claiming "true story" when it is not.

I always expect movie makers to take great license, but your claim, on quick inspection, does not fly either:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsavo_maneaters

--Ray
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 20:52   #249
Dogbite
DNT TREAD ON ME
 
Dogbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Atlanta.
Posts: 5,083
This has always been a pet peeve of mine. I personally love animals, but I would NEVER put a dog or cat or any animal on the same level as a human. Just because we give the animal a name, and put bells on its collar does not change the fact that we EAT animals. Do I hate it when a good dog of mine has died, sure! Would I risk a family member over a pet--or course not! This type of issue is something that people understood 50 years ago, it was common sense. I know this may be very unpopular today, but none the less, I think people need to get a grip. Thats where I stand on it.
__________________
Nemo me impune lacessit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9IfHDi-2EA
Dogbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 21:01   #250
Kilrain
Señor Member
 
Kilrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: On the road to Shambala
Posts: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbite View Post
Would I risk a family member over a pet--or course not!
A question more pertinent to the conversation at hand would be if a known child rapist was drowning at the same time your pet dog was drowning and you COULD save only one, which one would you save?

You can substitute Satan, Hitler, Osama bin Laden, an ex-wife, whatever into the equation if you like...........
__________________
For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen.

- Sterling Archer
Kilrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:38.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,169
344 Members
825 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42