GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-29-2012, 13:28   #21
humanguerrilla

Interesting. I have read a lot about Remington's quality slipping.

If the video guy wasn't an FFL the video could have big legal implications, with them sending him the new awful "practice" guns.

Last edited by humanguerrilla; 11-29-2012 at 13:42..
humanguerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 14:10   #22
alwaysshootin

I guess it's just a sign of getting old, but dog gone it, I wish they would just leave the things that are done right alone. The list is endless. Has any product, that was bought out, ever became better? I sure can't think of any. Like many other products, glad my Marlins, and Remingtons, are vintage!
Old 11-29-2012, 14:30   #23
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Can't comment on the remlins, but I do love the marlin actions.

Marlin wasn't perfect either, but let's hope remington can get over the "growing pains" and the pendulum swings back the other way.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 16:19   #24
Three-Five-Seven
Señor Mombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post
Marlin wasn't perfect either, but let's hope remington can get over the "growing pains" and the pendulum swings back the other way.
No, not every Marlin was perfect. But, if it wasn't, there was a group of dedicated people who would take the rifle back, fix it, and make it perfect. They did this because they were linked to the quality of their work. They cared.

There is no such ethic as this at Cerberus. A single rifle means nothing to a twenty billion dollar corporation. And you, the customer, mean even less.
Old 11-29-2012, 20:19   #25
K.Kiser

I've got a '72 model Marlin 336, and it's not going anywhere... I pulled it out of the safe last weekend to clean the barrel out, and it's still a very slick bore and the action is greasy smooth with zero slop...
K.Kiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 13:00   #26
pmwglock19

If I am not mistaken, the original Henry rifle was tube fed, so the current Henry rifle has the same to keep it authentic looking. I have a Henry 22lr and it is a great shooting rifle.
pmwglock19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 13:11   #27
TxGun

All the big makers have moved to CNC machines. There are very few "craftsmen" around anymore. People are any business's primary investment/expense and they all try to keep that investment/expense to a minimum or they can't compete...here or especially, abroad. So there's not a whole lot left for the "old guys" to teach. Now you need skilled machine operators and you need machines that are maintained well plus some "assemblers"...and you'll generally get a decent product. Not a product that a skilled craftsman spent some time making sure it was debugged...but a product that functions (generally speaking) well enough to go out the door.

If you want real old-time craftsmanship, you'll have to go to a small semi-custom or custom shop. And, of course, you'll pay for that skill and the time they spend building your firearm.

Last edited by TxGun; 11-30-2012 at 13:17..
TxGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 20:49   #28
Hawaiiglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxGun View Post
If you want real old-time craftsmanship, you'll have to go to a small semi-custom or custom shop. And, of course, you'll pay for that skill and the time they spend building your firearm.

That or shop the used gun rack at your LGS. I have an older Marlin and love it, I have not held a new one but my Remington 870 built in 2010 is a piece of crap. The bead sight is drilled so far to the right it's just about hanging off of the rib, the fit and finish suck. I have some choice words for Freedom Group that would make a sailor blush.
Hawaiiglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 21:35   #29
mr00jimbo

I really love the octagon Marlin Cowboy. I wish I could just trust buying one, but I can't.
You can't take people working on a product and then replace them. Why **** up a good thing? Why did they need to move to NY? Couldn't they just own a company that was in CT?
Old 11-30-2012, 21:37   #30
mr00jimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiiglock View Post
That or shop the used gun rack at your LGS. I have an older Marlin and love it, I have not held a new one but my Remington 870 built in 2010 is a piece of crap. The bead sight is drilled so far to the right it's just about hanging off of the rib, the fit and finish suck. I have some choice words for Freedom Group that would make a sailor blush.
Is it an Express? My Express wasn't the best, but it's in the name. They skipped out on the finishing and attention to detail to give a gun that can compete with the cheaper to assemble Mossberg 500, etc.