Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:31   #41
Berto
woo woo

I love 9mm, but I'd rather stake my protection on ammo running in a fairly normal operating range vs loaded to beejezus bunker levels just to get an extra 100fps from an already overtaxed case capacity.
9mm works fine for me, but if I need 124gr going 1300+ I'll just use a cartridge weapon and platform designed around that.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:31   #42
PrecisionRifleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnettjd10 View Post
I have been debating on getting a pistol in 357 Sig, i really like the 9mm and this round is like a 9mm on steroids. But i sit down and watched Tnoutdoors9 tests and wrote down all the results. After going back and looking at them i found that 357 Sig 125 gr had a velocity of about 1,336 fps with about 14.50in of penatration. The Underwood 9mm +P+ 124 gr shot at 1,298 fps with about 13.25in of penatration. So now im thinking that with the high cost of 357 Sig ammo and barely better performance over the 9mm that i would be crazy to buy a handgun in 357 Sig, not to mention the reduced round magazine capacity. But i know to achieve the results of the 9mm test i am pretty much limited to Underwood ammo. (all of the tests on this ammo that i have seen has been great!) So my questions are: I want everybodys opinion on Underwood ammo and why would people buy a gun in 357 Sig when u can get pretty much the same results with cheaper ammo and more magazine capacity with the 9mm?
Are those your Chronograph results or the claimed manufacturer's #'s?.

Food for thought. Ive been reloading a while now, and one thing every handloader notices is that he highest possible velocity is not usually the most accurate. In fact its sometimes crappy. Each caliber handgun is going to have a barrel.twist that is optimized for the ballistics of the caliber. I'm willing to bet that a 357 SIG pushed at 357 SIG velocity is going to be more accurate than a 9mm pushed to velocities that are outside the norm for the caliber. I'm also willing to bet that those same rounds are pushing even stretching what the caliber IA intended to handle. If Underwood loads their ammo that hot they are an acccident waiting to happen. The probability of it happeneing is going to be in the extreme spread. I highly doubt they are hand weighing each loads powder charge....

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

G20SF
Gen4 G23

Last edited by PrecisionRifleman; 11-29-2012 at 12:36..
PrecisionRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:45   #43
PocketProtector

My new Gen. 4, G26 had been flawless through 200 rounds. Last week went to the range with:

1. Speer 124gr. Gold Dots +P
2. Underwood 115gr Gold Dots +P+

All 50 Speers ran flawlessly.

2nd round of Underwood's completely looked up my G26. Could not eject the round at all. Wasn't sure if the round in the chamber was live or spent.

So, dropped the mag and counted rounds, and rounds on target, and concluded the chambered round was spent.

Removed the slide, and had one hell of a time removing the barrel. Had to drive the case out from the barrel end with a rod and hammer.

Inspected the barrel, reassembled and fired another 20 Speers, again flawlessly.

So, now have 48 rounds of Underwoods and not sure what to do.

Caliber Corner

Caliber Corner

Last edited by PocketProtector; 11-29-2012 at 12:46..
PocketProtector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 13:06   #44
PrecisionRifleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
My new Gen. 4, G26 had been flawless through 200 rounds. Last week went to the range with:

1. Speer 124gr. Gold Dots +P
2. Underwood 115gr Gold Dots +P+

All 50 Speers ran flawlessly.

2nd round of Underwood's completely looked up my G26. Could not eject the round at all. Wasn't sure if the round in the chamber was live or spent.

So, dropped the mag and counted rounds, and rounds on target, and concluded the chambered round was spent.

Removed the slide, and had one hell of a time removing the barrel. Had to drive the case out from the barrel end with a rod and hammer.

Inspected the barrel, reassembled and fired another 20 Speers, again flawlessly.

So, now have 48 rounds of Underwoods and not sure what to do.

Caliber Corner

Caliber Corner
Those casings show signs of excessive pressure, which is pretty obvious based on them being stuck in the barrel as well.

G20SF
Gen4 G23
PrecisionRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 13:19   #45
PocketProtector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionRifleman View Post
Those casings show signs of excessive pressure, which is pretty obvious based on them being stuck in the barrel as well.

Same casing.....The case measures .390 just under the rim. Doesn't seem out of the ordinary but the jam certainly was.

Last edited by PocketProtector; 11-29-2012 at 13:19..
PocketProtector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 13:19   #46
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
You can buy the very same 9BPLE online for $16-$17/box of 50. If this is you're preferred 9mm carry round you can buy 250 rounds for right around $100, shipping included. One of the best deals going for a street proven 9mm round, in my opinion.
WOW - such a good deal!
Old 11-29-2012, 13:51   #47
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatloaf samwich View Post
I shot a 5" group @ 10 yards with federal 125 gr and cut it to 2" with underwood. Great CS also. Loaded to what 357 sig should be. The 9mm gives both inexpensive range ammo AND the ability to have excellent self defence rounds in that caliber. The advice to buy a .40 and get two conversion bbls is excellent. You get three guns in one. If the shtf you will have three different calibers for you to scrounge for.
Is that a typo? That would be some terrible ammo coming in at 5" at a mere 30ft.

I went w/ a G32 & 40 & 9mm bbls. The ultimate SHTF combo as you should be able to find some ammo some place.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 13:54   #48
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
I love 9mm, but I'd rather stake my protection on ammo running in a fairly normal operating range vs loaded to beejezus bunker levels just to get an extra 100fps from an already overtaxed case capacity.
9mm works fine for me, but if I need 124gr going 1300+ I'll just use a cartridge weapon and platform designed around that.
^THIS^^
Eventually running a cartridge at levels not really designed for it will result in a catastrophic failure. You want more gun, get more gun, don't try stuffing more powder into a smaller case just to gain 1-2 add'l. round sin the gun.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 11-29-2012 at 13:54..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 15:29   #49
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
^THIS^^
Eventually running a cartridge at levels not really designed for it will result in a catastrophic failure. You want more gun, get more gun, don't try stuffing more powder into a smaller case just to gain 1-2 add'l. round sin the gun.
Sooooo true. The case capacity of the 9x19 is puny compared to the .357 magnum that it keeps trying to match in power.