SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:39   #51
maximus1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity35 View Post
Road rage is pretty bad here, especially from the marginalized who think they have an axe to grind against who they perceive as "the rich". I was pretty shook up and was still shaking while me and my wife were making the report to the police at the station.
I can understand that perfectly. When the OP took place I was finishing up an overnight shift patroling banks as an armed guard.....good thing I hadn't put my gear away yet!
Old 11-29-2012, 11:39   #52
JLB768
Silver Membership
Old & Grumpy

I've been carrying about 15 years now, and never had to even think about drawing, or showing my weapon. I pretty much avoid puting myself in situations that up the odds of doing so...I very rarely go to ATM's after dark, I avoid rougher areas, and I let traffic incidents slide due to road ragers. While I like where I live, it's unfortunately a very liberal county. I don't want to go up against a liberal prosecutor, judge, or jury, because they would more than likely find that Mr Badguy was really a good person who made a few mistakes, and I was just a gun loving animal who wanted to scare/shoot someone. Not to mention, good or bad shoot, it's gonna be expensive for me.
Black Rifle Club Member #768
JLB768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:40   #53
maximus1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy View Post
I pulled my pistol once, when I was tending bar. A fight broke out over a pool game. I swear if I ever own a a bar there will be no pool tables. Almost every bar fight I have ever seen started over a pool game. A guy pulled a knife, I grabbed my .45 from underneath the register and told him to drop the knife. I probably said "please don't make me shoot you" about 50 times in the 2 or 3 seconds it took for him to drop it.

He took off, I called the cops and they picked him up about a half hour later in another bar. He got busted for parole violation. He had just gotten out of prison the week before, for stabbing someone.
Not surprising he had a record! At least you were prepared to defend others and yourself
Old 11-29-2012, 11:43   #54
maximus1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB768 View Post
I've been carrying about 15 years now, and never had to even think about drawing, or showing my weapon. I pretty much avoid puting myself in situations that up the odds of doing so...I very rarely go to ATM's after dark, I avoid rougher areas, and I let traffic incidents slide due to road ragers. While I like where I live, it's unfortunately a very liberal county. I don't want to go up against a liberal prosecutor, judge, or jury, because they would more than likely find that Mr Badguy was really a good person who made a few mistakes, and I was just a gun loving animal who wanted to scare/shoot someone. Not to mention, good or bad shoot, it's gonna be expensive for me.
It's been 11 years of CC for me too and I never thought I would have to draw. I even took an "Active Shooter Response" course at the Sig academy in Epping NH. Awesome educational experience! You would probably be painted as the bad guy too unfortunately
Old 11-29-2012, 11:47   #55
JLB768
Silver Membership
Old & Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus1079 View Post
It's been 11 years of CC for me too and I never thought I would have to draw. I even took an "Active Shooter Response" course at the Sig academy in Epping NH. Awesome educational experience! You would probably be painted as the bad guy too unfortunately
All I had to do was read the comment section of our local paper, to realize how anti gun our county is. My first thought was...My God, I hope I never have any of these people on the jury if I'm forced to draw/use my weapon.
Black Rifle Club Member #768
JLB768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:51   #56
byf43
NRA Life Member

I've drawn my weapon (from a nightstand) twice, in all the years that I've owned firearms.

The first was when some mis-guided individual broke into my house, while I was sleeping. (I lived alone. . . going through a divorce - 1985.)
I met him at the bottom of the steps, with my Gov't Mdl in my hand.
When the Sheriff's Deputies arrived, he was sitting on the floor, cross-legged, with my 1911 stuck inside of his mouth.
(I was wearing the boxer shorts, that I claimed to have a 'load' in!)

I had a lot of glass to clean-up and replace (kitchen window) and the young miscreant only got 6 months probation.

The second time was about 2 years ago.
I heard this POUNDING at my front door, at about 1:30 in the morning.
I retrieved my G21 from the nightstand, and made my way to the stairs.
(In my older age, I do NOT go to the source. . . . I let them come to me!)
As I got to the stairs, I heard the front door open!
I did a press-check and lights came on!!
I thought, "Oh _ _ _ _!"
Then, I heard my daughter's voice and saw her boyfriend at the door.

My daughter's boyfriend fell asleep on the couch, and his Dad had come over, looking for him!!!
(The 'Dad' is a US Capitol Police Officer and a friend of mine.)

This boy's Dad never thought that anyone would be asleep.
When I came to the door (in my boxer shorts and G21 at my side) he realized what he had done.

His only words, were, "Hey!!! Where do you hang a holster in that outfit??"

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012

Last edited by byf43; 11-29-2012 at 12:05..
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:23   #57
maximus1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB768 View Post
All I had to do was read the comment section of our local paper, to realize how anti gun our county is. My first thought was...My God, I hope I never have any of these people on the jury if I'm forced to draw/use my weapon.
Agreed! That's why I didn't stick around for LEO's to show up. I told the EMT's what happened and exited stage left.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:23   #58
maximus1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by byf43 View Post
I've drawn my weapon (from a nightstand) twice, in all the years that I've owned firearms.

The first was when some mis-guided individual broke into my house, while I was sleeping. (I lived alone. . . going through a divorce - 1985.)
I met him at the bottom of the steps, with my Gov't Mdl in my hand.
When the Sheriff's Deputies arrived, he was sitting on the floor, cross-legged, with my 1911 stuck inside of his mouth.
(I was wearing the boxer shorts, that I claimed to have a 'load' in!)

I had a lot of glass to clean-up and replace (kitchen window) and the young miscreant only got 6 months probation.

The second time was about 2 years ago.
I heard this POUNDING at my front door, at about 1:30 in the morning.
I retrieved my G21 from the nightstand, and made my way to the stairs.
(In my older age, I do NOT go to the source. . . . I let them come to me!)
As I got to the stairs, I heard the front door open!
I did a press-check and lights came on!!
I thought, "Oh _ _ _ _!"
Then, I heard my daughter's voice and saw her boyfriend at the door.

My daughter's boyfriend fell asleep on the couch, and his Dad had come over, looking for him!!!
(The 'Dad' is a US Capitol Police Officer and a friend of mine.)

This boy's Dad never thought that anyone would be asleep.
When I came to the door (in my boxer shorts and G21 at my side) he realized what he had done.

His only words, were, "Hey!!! Where do you hang a holster in that outfit??"

Awesome!
Old 11-29-2012, 12:45   #59
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

Not yet, at least not since I have been out of the military. Although I did use my rifle to chase off an tweaker on our property about 9 months ago.
Glock20 10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 13:01   #60
Fear Night
NRA Life Member

One of my buddies and I decided to go to a junkyard to get some parts for his Toyota pickup. The junkyard was in a horrible part of the Birmingham ghetto; let's just say we stuck out like sore thumbs.

As we are leaving, a train starts to cross ahead on our way out. We are maybe the 6th or 7th stopped car back from the train. A less-than-upstanding individual walks up to the first car in line and starts beating on their passenger window, presumably to get them to roll it down. He then goes to the second car and does the same thing, then the third, etc.

I'm sitting in the passenger seat of my friends Toyota pickup, so once he's on about the 3rd car, I draw my G30 and have it pointed down in the floorboard. Literally right as he gets to the car in front of us, he hops in their back seat and they pull a U-turn and speed off.

Lucky for him he didn't have to stare down the big .45 pipe that day.

Last edited by Fear Night; 11-29-2012 at 13:05..
Fear Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 15:58   #61
maximus1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock20 10mm View Post
Not yet, at least not since I have been out of the military. Although I did use my rifle to chase off an tweaker on our property about 9 months ago.
Forgive my ignorance but what's a tweaker?
Old 11-29-2012, 16:02   #62
maximus1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Night View Post
One of my buddies and I decided to go to a junkyard to get some parts for his Toyota pickup. The junkyard was in a horrible part of the Birmingham ghetto; let's just say we stuck out like sore thumbs.

As we are leaving, a train starts to cross ahead on our way out. We are maybe the 6th or 7th stopped car back from the train. A less-than-upstanding individual walks up to the first car in line and starts beating on their passenger window, presumably to get them to roll it down. He then goes to the second car and does the same thing, then the third, etc.

I'm sitting in the passenger seat of my friends Toyota pickup, so once he's on about the 3rd car, I draw my G30 and have it pointed down in the floorboard. Literally right as he gets to the car in front of us, he hops in their back seat and they pull a U-turn and speed off.

Lucky for him he didn't have to stare down the big .45 pipe that day.
I wonder what his issue was? Was he looking for trouble, or a beating?
Old 11-29-2012, 16:07   #63
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

In answer to the tread topic, I've broken concealment twice and drawn once. Each time it was enough to end the encounter.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 16:10   #64
*ASH*

Quote:
meth head
*ASH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 16:32   #65
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Ummmm, yes. A couple times with good results. Saw 6 of the biggest eyeballs you will ever see up in Anchortown years ago. Gang bangers were looking down the barrel of my .45. Time before that it was a .44 mag. Never saw a bunch of wanna be bad guys move so fast when they felt the concussion and saw the flame from the barrel. Wife asked later what would have happened if they had kept on coming. I told her the next round was going through the big guys chest. He was the apparent leader of the band of misbehavers.
Old 11-29-2012, 16:36   #66
larry_minn
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky7 View Post
Tantrix might have a few good stories...
Well guess you were right.
I have posted one of mine too dang many times. It gets the heart going, and the fear going. Not as much on what is going on but what is likely to happen if you are forced to shoot.
If I shoot someone they have to FORCE me to shoot them.
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 16:40   #67
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

I have drawn my weapon more times than I can count and have been shot at by the Mexican Military. And no, I don't care to share the stories either. Also, I read the Op wrong. I thought it said any LEO. Long day.

Last edited by Kingarthurhk; 11-29-2012 at 16:51..
Kingarthurhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 16:43   #68
Jade Falcon
Go Blazers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple7 View Post
I was on a hwy about 12am driving to my brothers house with my wife and kids in the car. A punk in a beater car pulled out in front of me and I going 20 I'm going 60. I flash my lights in a "hey get out of the way" type way. The dude slams on the brakes and I almost rear end him. By now I'm furious cause he endangered my kids life, and my wife can see it.
So the guy jumps out of his car and starts "come at me bro" and I throw my car in park.
He keeps advancing and I draw as I move my angle away from my car. He sees me draw, which was the quickest smoothest draw I've ever done, even in practice....and the guy about falls down running back to his car. My wife was really freaked out but more glad that I didn't unload on the kid.
Seriously? Is this a joke?

Jesus...just curse a little and drive around him or stop and wait. You put your family in a dangerous sitsuation.

As for me, no. I did have to draw twice when I was on duty as a Security Officer though, but that's "In Uniform", not necessarily as a "Civilian" (yes, I know Security is Civilian).
Old 11-29-2012, 17:00   #69
SGT HATRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Falcon View Post
Seriously? Is this a joke?

Jesus...just curse a little and drive around him or stop and wait. You put your family in a dangerous situation.
You must have skipped his next post explaining his situation of how their cars were positioned...
SGT HATRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 18:07   #70
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

Twice. Both on my property. I once owned close to 30 acres of pasture and timbered land mix.

It's amazing to me how the folks from the city come out to the woods and think they can come on any land they want and take wood, plants, shoot- whatever they feel like doing. And then take an attitude when you tell them it's private property and they need to leave.
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 18:26   #71
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

Quote:
A person high on meth-amphetamines. Pretty common in our neck of the woods sadly. They tend to steal what ever they can to support their habit. The one that selected our home/property found out that was a very, very bad idea that could have ended much worse than it did.
Old 11-29-2012, 18:27   #72
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretefuzzynuts View Post
Twice. Both on my property. I once owned close to 30 acres of pasture and timbered land mix.

It's amazing to me how the folks from the city come out to the woods and think they can come on any land they want and take wood, plants, shoot- whatever they feel like doing. And then take an attitude when you tell them it's private property and they need to leave.
We have the same problem here... although my patrols have been getting the message out that our neck of the woods is off limits.
Old 11-29-2012, 18:27   #73
Bruce M

Quote:
I ask because I had my G30 halfway out of my IWB holster trying to break up a 4-on-1 beat down. I started to draw because one of the "beaters" took out a knife. They saw what I was doing and all took off. I can't stand "tough guys" who can't fight their own battles and have to rely on three other people to attack someone. Thoughts anyone?
Quote:
Agreed! That's why I didn't stick around for LEO's to show up. I told the EMT's what happened and exited stage left.

Maybe it's just me, but if I started to draw my gun and then felt that I should leave before the police got there I would begin to think that maybe I should not have started to draw the gun.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 18:32   #74
rhikdavis
U.S. Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to rhikdavis Send a message via Skype™ to rhikdavis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky7 View Post
Tantrix might have a few good stories...
Tantrix doesn't carry a gun...he's the cajun Chuck Norris.
Old 11-29-2012, 18:44   #75
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock20 10mm View Post
We have the same problem here... although my patrols have been getting the message out that our neck of the woods is off limits.
I hear ya brother. I posted "No Trespassing" only to find them riddled with bullet holes.
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote