Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-27-2012, 13:32   #1
griffgil1

G23 Storm Lake barrel problem...

Posted this on two other forums, but got no real responses, so posting it here and see there are some ideas out there:

Replaced my factory G23 barrel with a Storm Lake. Now I am having A LOT of misfires with certain ammo- UMC 180gr fmj flat nose and Fiocchi 165gr fmj flat nose primarily. I am getting the click but not the boom (light strikes) on about 3-5 rounds per magazine. And I get some stove pipes as well, but not as often as that unnerving click. When I put the factory barrel back in, no problems at all with these rounds. What gives? Defective barrel? Or do the tighter tolerances of of the SL barrel just make it more finicky? Anyone else have similar problems? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

UPDATE: been in contact with SL and they are saying it may be that the chamber is too tight, to send it to them for eval and correction if that's the case. I'm confused because if that's the case there should be way more people having the same problem, considering the barrels are made to very exact tolerances using computerized CNC machines- i.e. the chances of a single barrel being defective with a tight chamber is nil. I do have to give them props for having great customer service and being willing to help.
griffgil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 17:45   #2
ModGlock17

Aftermarket barrels should be smooth and polished before use, but that may negate your warranty or support from them. I'd bought 3 aftermarket barrels. LW was the worst and rawest form, KKM was the best, SLake was middle. They all had machined grooves making it hard to slide well. Rub your finger nail perpendicular to the grooves and you'd hear the scratchy sound. I smoothed all surfaces with 600grit sand paper, to a glittering shine. Then use blue automotive polish paste several times to bring out a mirror shine. Treat them with Frog Lube with slight heat. No sound with finger nail at all.

They will move well after that. FTFeed just disappeared afterwards.

Polish the ramp as well. Wrap part of a towel around a chopstick to work inside the chamber with blue paste only. its openning needs to be smooth. NEVER dremmel any part of barrel.

Last edited by ModGlock17; 11-27-2012 at 17:51..
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 18:55   #3
SJ 40

Surprising as LWD has the reputation of very tight chambers but not so of Storm Lake or KKM. I would contact Storm Lake and I'm sure they will be able to help. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:58   #4
ModGlock17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ 40 View Post
Surprising as LWD has the reputation of very tight chambers but not so of Storm Lake or KKM.. SJ 40
Don't know where you got your info but my experience disagrees with that notion.

I bought the 3 barrels in 10mm and posted a pic of all three side by side with 10mm inserted in each chamber. LWD visually had the worst case support. Posted it more than a year ago in the 10 Ring forum. Its ramp went deeper inside chamber, giving rise to "Glock smiles" if you load 10mm on the hot side. Cases fired in this LWD barrel can not be reloaded. In addition, for some reasons, it was responsible for unreliable feeds. I would not want a LWD in a SD gun. Got rid of it quickly.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:08   #5
SPIN2010
Searching ...

I will second what MG17 says. Polish all the aftermarkets for correct function.

Manufacturing in this country is bent over the money table these days (and it is not looking good) ... I can surely see how man loses manufacturing ability over time with our country's actions these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModGlock17 View Post
Don't know where you got your info but my experience disagrees with that notion.

I bought the 3 barrels in 10mm and posted a pic of all three side by side with 10mm inserted in each chamber. LWD visually had the worst case support. Posted it more than a year ago in the 10 Ring forum. Its ramp went deeper inside chamber, giving rise to "Glock smiles" if you load 10mm on the hot side. Cases fired in this LWD barrel can not be reloaded. In addition, for some reasons, it was responsible for unreliable feeds. I would not want a LWD in a SD gun. Got rid of it quickly.
SPIN2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:23   #6
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

You need to fit the barrel's hood and chamber mouth sidewalls to the gun. Sometimes the barrel's, 'feet' also have to be fitted. Bar-Sto Precision Barrels has a very good video on how to fit a custom barrel into your pistol that they might be willing to sell you a copy of.

http://www.barsto.com/

Both commentators, above, are correct: LWD barrels ARE notorious for excessively tight chambers. Apparently the feed ramps and chamber mouths on these, otherwise, very attractively priced barrels are, now, coming out screwed up, as well.

Neither would I, by any stretch of the imagination, want to use an LWD barrel on a carry pistol.

Last edited by Arc Angel; 11-29-2012 at 06:37..
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 17:04   #7
nraman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
You need to fit the barrel's hood and chamber mouth sidewalls to the gun. Sometimes the barrel's, 'feet' also have to be fitted. Bar-Sto Precision Barrels has a very good video on how to fit a custom barrel into your pistol that they might be willing to sell you a copy of.
All you have to do is make a perfect fit between the barrel and slide using the hand tools of a typical home.
Nothing to it.
Having done that once, I now buy drop in fit only.

Last edited by nraman; 11-29-2012 at 17:05..
nraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 17:14   #8
dvrdwn72

lwd isnt the prettiest, but ive had no problem with mine. efk is a good manufacturer too. I did have a friend I shot with that also had an issue with storm lake dont remember exactly what it was but had a gunsmith get it running good.

Last edited by dvrdwn72; 11-29-2012 at 17:16..
dvrdwn72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:00   #9
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nraman View Post
All you have to do is make a perfect fit between the barrel and slide using the hand tools of a typical home. Nothing to it. Having done that once, I now buy drop in fit only.
Not really, and not in my experience.

You've fitted one barrel; I've, now, fitted six or more. (I don't remember?) Every fitting job is different. Neither do I consider an assortment of fine India stones, a machinist's square, or a Dremel Tool to be, 'ordinary hand tools of a typical home'. Heck, Dremel Tools are usually, 'instruments of destruction' for many of the gun owners I know.

Besides, 'Why' use a drop-in custom barrel? If you're going to spend the money for a: Bar-Sto, Kart, or Schuemann barrel, at least, get it properly fitted into the gun. One other thing: It's entirely possible to screw up a barrel fitting job, and still have the gun work. (It's just NOT a precision barrel anymore.)

I don't mean to be rude; but, I don't think you know what you're talking about; instead, you just got lucky; and, so far, you got lucky exactly one time. I've met a few, 'Glock Armorers' who had the common sense to square up a barrel hood - That's an obvious adjustment, and is relatively easy to do.

To date, I've only met 3 professional gunsmiths who, also, know how to square up the sides of a chamber mouth, and, 'shave the barrel lugs' so that the barrel moves with perfect smoothness. That's not so easy to do.

If you were to examine one of my Glocks (or one of my old 1911's) you would see that the fit is, 'dead nuts'; and the action cycles, 'smooth as glass' with that reassuring little, 'click' as the barrel returns to battery. No scrape marks on the feet, no, 'pounded metal' around the case mouth, and the wear mark across the top of the breech face is perfectly uniform.

THESE are, all, signs of a properly fitted semi-auto barrel.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:19   #10
ModGlock17

That little "click" is the barrel lug's front ridge fitting into the Slide Lock (the one you pull down to take off the slide). I have the Match Grade SL, which has small groove than the OEM one. It ensures the barrel coming back to the same spot every time thus your shot consistency. Do polish the front ridge on lug so it will slide and snap into position easily. Do not sand down or Dremmel down, just polish paste.

For new folks, there's been tons of posting over after market barrel issues (LWD) for the last couple years. People had vented their frustration in many folders here at GT. Here's a reference, just one of many (U can find some in the "10 Ring" gun club folder as well):

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1414663

Last edited by ModGlock17; 11-30-2012 at 08:12..
Old 11-30-2012, 10:40   #11
nraman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post

I don't mean to be rude; but, I don't think you know what you're talking about;

To date, I've only met 3 professional gunsmiths who, also, know how to square up the sides of a chamber mouth, and, 'shave the barrel lugs' so that the barrel moves with perfect smoothness. That's not so easy to do.
I should have used an emoticon, I was been sarcastic because I don't consider barrel fitting a simple job. I have fitted 1911 and Beretta 92 barrels the last from KKM that had oversized rails that didn't fit the frame. For me it is too time consuming, I don't feel like paying extra for a gunsmith and I am not a target shooter who needs the ultimate in accuracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModGlock17 View Post
That little "click" is the barrel lug's front ridge fitting into the Slide Lock (the one you pull down to take off the slide). I have the Match Grade SL, which has small groove than the OEM one
There are a couple of threads regarding the match grade SL. Some barrel lug chipping was reported by several users.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:18   #12
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Used a LWD 40 S&W to 9mm barrel in mg G23. Flawless. Guess YMMV.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:37   #13
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
I should have used an emoticon, I was been sarcastic because I don't consider barrel fitting a simple job. I have fitted 1911 and Beretta 92 barrels the last from KKM that had oversized rails that didn't fit the frame. For me it is too time consuming, I don't feel like paying extra for a gunsmith and I am not a target shooter who needs the ultimate in accuracy. .......
Thanks for the explanation! With the missing emoticon in place your post actually is funny.

You're right, too. Lots of people screw up barrel fitting. Years ago I had a well-known gunsmith, who had a secret drinking problem, ruin a precision barrel on me; and this event is the reason, 'Why' I decided to learn how to do it for myself. I suspect it's, also, the reason Irv Stone made that video.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:29   #14
SJ 40

Quote:
I should have used an emoticon, I was been sarcastic because I don't consider barrel fitting a simple job. I have fitted 1911 and Beretta 92 barrels the last from KKM that had oversized rails that didn't fit the frame. For me it is too time consuming, I don't feel like paying extra for a gunsmith and I am not a target shooter who needs the ultimate in accuracy.

There are a couple of threads regarding the match grade SL. Some barrel lug chipping was reported by several users.
No chipping with any of the non dotted pentagon barrels I have,nor aftermarket barrels using the MGSL .
SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote