Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:16   #1
swh_longhorn

What is a "frame upgrade" by Glock?

I'm sending my Glock 17 Gen 2 to Glock for some service work.

On the warranty form they list a "frame upgrade" as one of the services. Can someone tell what they do or what it entials?

Also, they list "refinish slide". Is this this something that is worth doing? I've had similar services offered by manufactures (not gun) in the past and it turned out not be worth the extra cost.

Thanks.
swh_longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:11   #2
Aeromat809

I would not refinish my slide unless the wear or excessive wear bothered you! Guns are tools and when have you heard of a carpenterthat refinished his hammer ? I take my EDC watches in every 3-5 years and have them polished but not my guns. Can't help on the frame upgrade ! YMMV
Aeromat809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:15   #3
tonyparson

Glock sends the slide off to have it refinished. Ive had them do one of mine a few years back and it came out looking as good as new. As for the frame replacement they will probably change your Gen 2 frame out to a Gen 3 frame. Numbers will no longer match.
Old 11-26-2012, 14:41   #4
HD45ACP

I thought the upgrade was putting a RFID chip in the older glocks? LOL
HD45ACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 15:23   #5
cciman

Correct. The refinish is just the black that you can see, not the "Tenifer".

Gen3 frame upgrade is free if the stock frame is broken in some way. It gives you the RTF-1 texture, 3 pin assembly and new locking block, but the serial numbers will be different. Though if your frame has had much aging or hydrolysis, it may be a good option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyparson View Post
Glock sends the slide off to have it refinished. Ive had them do one of mine a few years back and it came out looking as good as new. As for the frame replacement they will probably change your Gen 2 frame out to a Gen 3 frame. Numbers will no longer match.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 18:45   #6
Ssireum

What's RTF1? I've heard of RTF2 and always figured there was a 1, but is it the standard Gen 3 texture?
Ssireum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 19:20   #7
voyager4520
-----

If you send a Gen1 or Gen2 back to Glock you risk them replacing the frame with a Gen3, or the whole gun with a Gen3 or Gen4 without them asking you first. If you like the frame without the finger grooves I wouldn't send the frame back to them unless absolutely necessary.

Last edited by voyager4520; 11-26-2012 at 19:21..
voyager4520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 20:12   #8
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssireum View Post
What's RTF1? I've heard of RTF2 and always figured there was a 1, but is it the standard Gen 3 texture?
Correct . SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 20:21   #9
ken grant

Glock replaced the frame on my Gen 2 23.
I now have a Gen 2/3 with mis-matched numbers
ken grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:22   #10
swh_longhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager4520 View Post
If you send a Gen1 or Gen2 back to Glock you risk them replacing the frame with a Gen3, or the whole gun with a Gen3 or Gen4 without them asking you first. If you like the frame without the finger grooves I wouldn't send the frame back to them unless absolutely necessary.
Yep, you are absolutely correct. I talked to Glock this morning. If I did a frame upgrade with my Gen 2, I would get a Gen 3 frame and numbers won't match. I asked them if they switch the little number plate on the frame and was told they used to do that, but no longer. So anytime there is a frame upgrade, you will get mismatched numbers.

I asked them if they did a frame upgrade can I have my old Gen 2 frame back? Answer was no. Something about FED LAW?

I'll stick with my Gen 2 frame, which I bought in the first place because I like the grip.
swh_longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:48   #11
cciman

This is most likely for gun product liability. 5 years ago, they charged me $150 for the frame upgrade, is it "free" now?

If so, I wish the car dealers would do that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager4520 View Post
Old 11-27-2012, 10:52   #12
cciman

Mismatched numbers on a Glock are not a big deal, for those who know Glocks, but it seems to affect resale value for buyers who don't understand the Glock service process.

There is really no reason to have the serial number stamped on the slide and the barrel, GLOCK really can (need to) stop doing that for the US market.