Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-26-2012, 16:46   #21
Travelin' Jack
Misinformed

I don't see that as the value of animal versus human life.

Would you risk your life to save a life that you love? I would. That includes many people... and my dog.
Travelin' Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 16:48   #22
treeline

Yeah, screw the dog. You know who pushes the line that dogs are equivilent to humans? Athiests. It's yet another way of spitting on God.

Nah, I'm just tweeking your bum. This is a wierd thread though and I'm sure there's a religious priciple behind all the dogophobia.
treeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 16:50   #23
Calico Jack
NO QUARTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Jack View Post
I don't see that as the value of animal versus human life.

Would you risk your life to save a life that you love? I would. That includes many people... and my dog.
This pretty much sums up my feelings on the situation. Would I save my dog before saving my wife or child? No, but I would try my damnedest to save my dog after I saved my wife or child.
Calico Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 17:33   #24
itisbruno
CLM Number 103
Devious Member

My dog can swim.

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

Hell, he could pull me out with that little stick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
daily to give food for animals in a shelter or sanctuary...for FREE
itisbruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 17:34   #25
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

My dogs have a job, if they die in the execution of their job then so be it. I don't get emotionally attached to animals. I respect them, appreciate their service and make their life as comfortable and loving as realistically possible.

But they are not humans, they do not have human thought process and they are low on the hierarchy of value when it comes to life choices.
Glock20 10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 17:43   #26
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

To the OP, you are making a slew of assumptions. As DD has pointed out, ALL OF US have some sort of value system, and NONE OF US places all humans at the same value on that scale.

With regards to this tragic loss of life? I don't know if the 16yr old was developmentally delayed (ie, mentally). Would your opinion change if it was a 6yr old kid?
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 17:46   #27
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
That may be your personal belief, but it isn't mine.

I'd risk my life to save my pets. I don't necessarily feel the same about other humans or even some of my own family members.
I agree.
Old 11-26-2012, 17:46   #28
el_jewapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisbruno View Post
My dog can swim.

Hell, he could pull me out with that little stick.
Pretty much any animal can swim.
el_jewapo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 17:47   #29
hogfish
Señor Member

Quote:
What does my being a carnivore have to do with my pets?

Do you eat your pets on a regular basis?

My pets give me comfort and entertainment. My pets don't vote for Democrats or Republicans. My pets don't go and rape & kill others because of religious beliefs.
That's how it starts: eating his pets. Next thing, he'll be eating his children.

"Almost no matter the question, capitalism and freedom are the answers, while government and religion are not." Syclone538
hogfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 17:48   #30
itisbruno
CLM Number 103
Devious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_jewapo View Post
tous can't

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
daily to give food for animals in a shelter or sanctuary...for FREE
itisbruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 17:50   #31
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
You make a fallacious assumption. I'm guessing that fnfalman would agree wtih the idea that not all animal life (and not all human life) has the same value.

I wouldn't eat my pets. I wouldn't kill my family. But I would eat some animals and I would kill some people.

I have to agree with this.

Decisions have to be based on personal priorities.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 17:51   #32
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_jewapo View Post

Even a manatee?
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 18:04   #33
nmk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/26...g-to-save-dog/

Ironically, the only survivor was the dog. When people overly anthropomorphize animals into pseudo-humans, this sort of thing happens. No dog is worth the death of an entire family.
We all evaluate risks. I'm sure if the family could all come back in place of the dog they would. So what is your point exactly?

Nice to see GNG supports the idea that your logic sucks.
nmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 18:07   #34
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

The family didn't die trying to save the dog.

The 16 year old boy tried to save the dog, then returned to shore. Good judgment.

The family tried to save each other, the dog was not an issue. Their efforts were valiant, but futile.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 18:17   #35
Lone Wolf8634
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
That is some really sad priorities that you value animal life above humans and your own family. Are you vegan, and do you avoid all animal products? If not, it would appear your ethics and priorities are more tangled than twenty year old christmas lights.
That..... is stupid.

You judge his ethics and priorities based on a flip comment on the web. Accuse him of being vegan because he'd risk himself to save his pet?

I got news for you, I'd risk my life to save my little buddies. Hell, I'd risk YOUR life to save them.

Why?

I love my dogs, they make me feel better after a bad day when they both jump in my lap and burrow their heads into my neck and wiggle with pleasure as I scratch them. You're just another judgmental A-hole in a hat.

I know far too many people I wouldn't piddle on if they was on fire, I never met a dog that made me feel that way.

Now you have someone to judge.

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson
Lone Wolf8634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 18:25   #36
RPVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock20 10mm View Post
But they are not humans, they do not have human thought process and they are low on the hierarchy of value when it comes to life choices.
That about sums it up for me, too. I've had many dogs over the years and I loved them all. Your dog is the only animal in the world that would rather be with you than with other dogs. Dog spelled backwards is... and all that. Heck, I even carry "doggy treats" in my glove box... for dogs I've never met.

But, no, they are not humans. I think human life has a much greater value.
RPVG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 18:33   #37
Chuck TX
CLM Number 243
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
Even a manatee?
With or without the stolen tablet?
Old 11-26-2012, 19:47   #38
Merkavaboy
Code-7A KUZ769

For those who would risk their life to save an animal (any animal including pets), feel free to answer this question:

Assuming that you have family/friends who love you and/or rely on you to keep them safe, do you think that they will miss you and mourn your death more than that animal you tried to save?

OR, would your loving spouse, child, mother, father, brother, sister, close friend etc. mourn the loss of YOUR life more than that of the animal if you we're to lose YOUR life trying to save an animal (especially a pet)?

Just how selfish would you be if you were to sacrafice your life over that of a family pet or any animal?

In the story posted by the OP there is 2 survivors, the young daughter who called 911 and watched her ENTIRE FAMILY drown, and the dog. This girl will live her entire life without the love and comfort of her family. Do any of you animal lovers think that the death of this girl's mother, father and brother worth their ultimate sacrafice trying to save one stinkin' dog?

Last edited by Merkavaboy; 11-26-2012 at 19:53..
Merkavaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 19:48   #39
*ASH*
MEMBER OF 601

Quote:
That may be your personal belief, but it isn't mine.

I'd risk my life to save my pets. I don't necessarily feel the same about other humans or even some of my own family members.
we agree

our pets are family period .
*ASH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 19:55   #40
Fear Night
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
The family didn't die trying to save the dog.

The 16 year old boy tried to save the dog, then returned to shore. Good judgment.

The family tried to save each other, the dog was not an issue. Their efforts were valiant, but futile.
This. Nobody died trying to save the dog.

The only individuals that died were the ones trying to save their human family members.

|
|
|
Fear Night is offline   Reply With Quote