Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-15-2012, 17:00   #1
high ground

P30 vs G17

Practicing up for an upcoming IPSC match. I shoot production with the 17 usually. After going through my usual drills, I ran about 100 rounds through my newly acquired P30. Did the same drills as I did with the G17. It shot more accurately, but slower. So now I have to ask myself. Speed (G17) or accuracy (P30)? The speed difference wasn't huge. I think the points would be more advantageous than the speed. Only catch is that the only holster I have for the P30 is an iwb. What would you guys do?
Side note. I am digging the LEM trigger with light hammer and fp safety springs. Trigger return spring is the heavy. AKA Todd Green version.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
high ground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 17:24   #2
barth
six barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by high ground View Post
Practicing up for an upcoming IPSC match. I shoot production with the 17 usually. After going through my usual drills, I ran about 100 rounds through my newly acquired P30. Did the same drills as I did with the G17. It shot more accurately, but slower. So now I have to ask myself. Speed (G17) or accuracy (P30)? The speed difference wasn't huge. I think the points would be more advantageous than the speed. Only catch is that the only holster I have for the P30 is an iwb. What would you guys do?
Side note. I am digging the LEM trigger with light hammer and fp safety springs. Trigger return spring is the heavy. AKA Todd Green version.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
I'd practice more with the P30 and dial up the speed.
I've got a P30 40, HK45C and two P2000 357s.
All Light LEM.
All ROCK!

I do shoot extremely well with my G27 40-9mm too though - LOL!

Last edited by barth; 11-15-2012 at 17:27..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 17:48   #3
Kimura

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth View Post
I'd practice more with the P30 and dial up the speed.
[/I]
You could do this or put a fitted or semi fitted barrel into the Glock which would negate the accuracy difference. By semi fitted I mean something like the Wilson Combat barrel, which is said to be drop in, but I've never heard of anyone that didn't have to do a bit of fitting with it. KKM makes a drop in barrel for Glocks that reportedly gives a pretty decent accuracy improvement over the stock barrel, though I've never used one, so I can't tell you.

I do understand your dilemma. I have a Sig P226 that's extremely accurate. I don't notice a big difference between the Sig and my Glock until I get to 15 yards and beyond. At 15-25 yards, the Sig is significantly more accurate than my Glock. This despite the fact that my Glock is fairly accurate.

Personally I think it depends on which gun you like better. If that's the HK, stick with the HK until you get more proficient with it. If it's the Glock, just replace the barrel.
Kimura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 18:18   #4
barth
six barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimura View Post
You could do this or put a fitted or semi fitted barrel into the Glock which would negate the accuracy difference. By semi fitted I mean something like the Wilson Combat barrel, which is said to be drop in, but I've never heard of anyone that didn't have to do a bit of fitting with it. KKM makes a drop in barrel for Glocks that reportedly gives a pretty decent accuracy improvement over the stock barrel, though I've never used one, so I can't tell you.

I do understand your dilemma. I have a Sig P226 that's extremely accurate. I don't notice a big difference between the Sig and my Glock until I get to 15 yards and beyond. At 15-25 yards, the Sig is significantly more accurate than my Glock. This despite the fact that my Glock is fairly accurate.

Personally I think it depends on which gun you like better. If that's the HK, stick with the HK until you get more proficient with it. If it's the Glock, just replace the barrel.
I do have a Storm Lake 40-9mm in my Glock G27.
And it's just as much a nail driver as my H&K P30 40.
I actually shoot the Glock a little better.

I don't shoot competitively.
But if I did, I'd send my favorite gun to Jarvis or Bar-Sto
for a professionally fitted competition target barrel.
Not sure if you have many options with a HK P30?
But a Glock G17? No Problemo

Play with Power

Last edited by barth; 11-15-2012 at 19:34..
Old 11-16-2012, 05:00   #5
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Take the one that gives you the edge in competition. Keep practicing with both.

I was told by many people that I'd never be able to shoot well with a DA/SA gun and that I needed DAO, especially because I'm a girl.

Not only did I prove them wrong, I can out shoot them regularly! I don't find DA/SA or HK's in general any slower in actual firing than a Glock.

Speed wise, I'm just as fast shooting a HK as I am a Glock but far more accurate.

Does this mean the HK is more inherently accurate than a Glock? I wouldn't say so but I will say it means that I shoot the HK better!
Old 11-16-2012, 05:59   #6
barth
six barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post

I was told by many people that I'd never be able to shoot well with a DA/SA gun and that I needed DAO, especially because I'm a girl.

Not only did I prove them wrong, I can out shoot them regularly! I don't find DA/SA or HK's in general any slower in actual firing than a Glock.

Speed wise, I'm just as fast shooting a HK as I am a Glock but far more accurate.

Does this mean the HK is more inherently accurate than a Glock? I wouldn't say so but I will say it means that I shoot the HK better!
+1
When folks say they shoot one gun more accurately that another.
It's usually more of a trigger, sights, grip angle, familiarity and ergonomics thingy.
The Human Factor.

Lock both guns in a ransom rest and they will likely shoot much better than you can.

That said,
some experienced shooters can tell the difference between an OEM
and a third party match grade barrel.
Literally tighter groups you can easily seen and duplicate with consistency.

My personal experience?
1) Storm Lake in my Glock, and Bar Sto in my Sig Sauers,
give me a very real improvement over standard OEM barrels.

2) I find my four Hecker and Koch OEM barrels to be near
match grade as shipped.
Particularly the HK45C.

3) Barrels, and how they fit in a slide, seem to be unique.
Fired from the same G27;
Storm Lake G27 and G23 40-9mm barrels clearly favor different
weight, and manufacturer, ammunition.
And these two related sisters don't agree on what they favor.

4) My OEM Sig Sauer P220 Sport 5.47" stainless steel match grade heavy contoured barrel continues to out shoot three times the price third party match barrels.
Go figure?
And no - that barrel is NOT for sale.

Have fun and know your limitations.

Last edited by barth; 11-16-2012 at 06:12..
Old 11-16-2012, 06:41   #7
SouthpawG26

Every IPSC/USPSA instructor will teach you to be accurate first, honing your fundamentals to put out an accurate shot, and then to progress by speeding up the execution of all those fundamentals.

But not the other way around. Be accurate first.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:53   #8
HexHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawG26 View Post
Every IPSC/USPSA instructor will teach you to be accurate first, honing your fundamentals to put out an accurate shot, and then to progress by speeding up the execution of all those fundamentals.

But not the other way around. Be accurate first.
You have to be awfully fast to make up for the penalty time added for misses.
HexHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:04   #9
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

My G34's accuracy was pretty disappointing with the 147 load I was using. It shot great with 115s. Now that I've tried a different powder, my new 147 loads are very accurate. Have you tied different ammo?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:36   #10
cowboy1964

I dislike switching back and forth between striker guns (Glock and M&Ps mostly) and hammer guns (like my P30). I shoot the strikers 90% of the time so I just never get enough time in on the hammers to get as good with them. However, there is no doubt a good SA trigger is easier to shoot well.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:21   #11
high ground

I think where the speed factor came in was with familiarity. I've been shooting Glocks exclusively for years and I think I was being more deliberate with the trigger on the P30. Another few hundred rounds and I think I could get the speed up on the P30. Unfortunately not many (if any) LGS stock P30 kydex holsters, so no HK for Sundays match.

And, by the way, thanks for the responses.
high ground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 16:20   #12
Kimura

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth View Post

2) I find my four Hecker and Koch OEM barrels to be near
match grade as shipped.
Particularly the HK45C.

3) Barrels, and how they fit in a slide, seem to be unique.
Fired from the same G27;
Storm Lake G27 and G23 40-9mm barrels clearly favor different
weight, and manufacturer, ammunition.
And these two related sisters don't agree on what they favor.
These things don't surprise me as HKs are known for being match grade accurate. Both LAV and Ken Hackathorn have said that the HK 45 can shoot with a custom 1911 in the accuracy department.

I agree with you about barrels which is why if accuracy improvement is what someone is looking for, a fitted barrel is money well spent.

Personally, I'm less comfortable with the Sig as compared to my Glock, but more accurate with it. I really don't think it's me; I really do believe the gun is more mechanically accurate. Same reason that I can shoot a USP 9 more accurately than my Glock, I think, mechanically, it's just a more accurate pistol.
Kimura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 17:48   #13
barth
six barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimura View Post
These things don't surprise me as HKs are known for being match grade accurate. Both LAV and Ken Hackathorn have said that the HK 45 can shoot with a custom 1911 in the accuracy department.

I agree with you about barrels which is why if accuracy improvement is what someone is looking for, a fitted barrel is money well spent.

Personally, I'm less comfortable with the Sig as compared to my Glock, but more accurate with it. I really don't think it's me; I really do believe the gun is more mechanically accurate. Same reason that I can shoot a USP 9 more accurately than my Glock, I think, mechanically, it's just a more accurate pistol.
I too feel generally speaking;
out of the box H&K and Sig guns truly are mechanically more accurate than Glocks.

My Glock G27 has been at test platform for me to experiment with different calibers, sights, barrels (OEM & Third Party) triggers and more....
The result has been a sum greater than the parts thingy.
Particularly in 9mm and 357 Sig I've had outstanding results.
Tricked out shes one of my favorite guns.

But out of the box G27? Not so much...
The phrase Combat Accurate comes to mind.

Last edited by barth; 11-16-2012 at 17:54..
Old 11-17-2012, 07:58   #14
Green Dragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post

good post all around
Green Dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:56   #15
Aceman

Get the right Holster
Practice

The P30 is a better pistol than the Glock will ever be.

Similar example: Once you learn to only let an AK trigger out to the reset - it is one fast moro.

It's you - it's not the HK.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 15:37   #16
barth
six barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
Get the right Holster
Practice

The P30 is a better pistol than the Glock will ever be.

Similar example: Once you learn to only let an AK trigger out to the reset - it is one fast moro.

It's you - it's not the HK.
My four HKs are all Light LEM.
I like to take up the light pre-travel to the wall.
Then squeeze for a ~5 lbs break.
Followed by riding natural reset for the next shot.

I've never shot competition.
But it seems fast, fast, fast to me.
Old 11-22-2012, 16:08   #17
bac1023

It's no comparison for me. HK all the way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 19:48   #18
33rdglock17
Boosh

I love the P30... It likely has the best grip of any gun on earth. I just cannot get past the magazine release so I will likely never buy one
33rdglock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 22:46   #19
Patriot328
B756

Send a message via AIM to Patriot328
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33rdglock17 View Post
I love the P30... It likely has the best grip of any gun on earth. I just cannot get past the magazine release so I will likely never buy one
I understand where you're coming from, but I have to say it doesn't take that long to learn the mag release on the HKs. I actually use my trigger finger to release it. It's very fast and I don't have to adjust my grip like I do on some other semi autos when I use my thumb.

The P30 is an awesome pistol. Probably the nicest 9mm out there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Patriot328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:40   #20
barth
six barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot328 View Post
I understand where you're coming from, but I have to say it doesn't take that long to learn the mag release on the HKs. I actually use my trigger finger to release it. It's very fast and I don't have to adjust my grip like I do on some other semi autos when I use my thumb.

The P30 is an awesome pistol. Probably the nicest 9mm out there.
+1
Having 20+ years with standard auto releases.
I too was very concerned with the euro mag release.

Transitioned to it easily and it's truly no problemo.
HK P30 40, P2000 357 & HK45C - All Light LEM.

Last edited by barth; 11-24-2012 at 05:41..