Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:19   #21
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
As far as recoil goes. I doubt there is a person here that can hold their sights on a target w/o them moving under recoil.
Keeping sights on target and keeping sights from moving are two different things.

Keeping sights on target is a function of distance, cartridge/rifle combination, and your ability to control the gun. This requires some training, but is not that difficult to achieve at closer distances with an AK. Keeping sights from moving would require not breathing, no heart-beat, no recoil, and no muscle fatigue.
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I

Last edited by WayaX; 11-19-2012 at 12:19..
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 13:21   #22
mjkeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayaX View Post
Keeping sights on target and keeping sights from moving are two different things.

Keeping sights on target is a function of distance, cartridge/rifle combination, and your ability to control the gun. This requires some training, but is not that difficult to achieve at closer distances with an AK. Keeping sights from moving would require not breathing, no heart-beat, no recoil, and no muscle fatigue.
I think my point was missed. I was attempting to point out the absurdity of those claiming recoil is not an issue.
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 17:10   #23
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
I think my point was missed. I was attempting to point out the absurdity of those claiming recoil is not an issue.
I guess I did miss it. Yes, recoil is an issue on any rifle for the untrained, unpracticed, and unprepaired. Even for those who are, recoil can be substantially controlled (in intermediate calibers), but will always be a consideration.
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 17:28   #24
mjkeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayaX View Post
I guess I did miss it. Yes, recoil is an issue on any rifle for the untrained, unpracticed, and unprepaired. Even for those who are, recoil can be substantially controlled (in intermediate calibers), but will always be a consideration.
In your defense I wasn't real clear in my original post.

Compensators/brakes are great in my opinion. Every advantage is welcome in my book.
Old 11-20-2012, 20:49   #25
MeanAction
MeanAction

Quote:
The pros of a good cheek weld is being overlooked.

As far as recoil goes. I doubt there is a person here that can hold their sights on a target w/o them moving under recoil.
Since I have moved to the reflex/red dot underfolder world, I've changed my mind about cheek weld. I feel like the lack of check weld helps me stay on target better. The is no jarring of the face which in turn jars the eye. It's more like a video game. Just keep the dot on your target. I was totally worried about check weld at first but after my range trip that changed. 25m hitting targets at will with zero check weld. This article is interesting cause the Army had to learn to shoot reflex sights without a critical cheek weld. http://762precision.wordpress.com/ar...ight-red-dots/
MeanAction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 22:58   #26
mjkeat

Cheek weld is a mechanical thing. When you snap your carbine up cheek helps w/ consistancy. It takes the guess work out of where that dot will be. It puts the dot right where it needs to be. W/ nothing to index against you're just guessing which costs time.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:49   #27
MeanAction
MeanAction

Quote:
Cheek weld is a mechanical thing. When you snap your carbine up cheek helps w/ consistancy. It takes the guess work out of where that dot will be. It puts the dot right where it needs to be. W/ nothing to index against you're just guessing which costs time.
I disagree with you and I apologize for loading the link improperly so you could check this link out. In the link, the soldier talks about learning to shoot different with the red dot: "...if you can see a red dot, and the red dot is on your target, the bullet will hit the target. No aligning sights. No sharp front sight and blurry target. No critical cheek weld. Here is how it’s done:

With the weapon on safe at the ready, identify and focus on a target. Keeping both eyes open, bring the weapon up to the firing position. As the sight comes up in front of the eyes, a red dot will appear in front of the eyes. When the red dot reaches the point of aim, switch to fire and engage the target. Both eyes remain open and the focus never moves from the target." http://762precision.wordpress.com/ar...ight-red-dots/
I don't have a ton of experience with my new setup but I'm 40, grew up hunting quail, turkey and whitetail, I'm a combat vet and I was all about some cheek weld until, I took my underfolder with Aimpoint Comp M to the range a few times. I like that without a critical cheek weld My face isn't getting jarred so it's easier for me to stay on target. There is no guess work. If you see the red dot on your target you pull the trigger. It seems to work.

Last edited by MeanAction; 11-21-2012 at 05:05..
Old 11-21-2012, 13:21   #28
mjkeat

I have a lot of experience behind red dot sights and both eyes open shooting. Cheek weld allows for quick indexing allowing for repeatable performance. When I roll that weapon up from the ready position into the cheek the dot will be on whatever it is that I am looking at. No guess work.

I too am a combt vet who used a RDS then and now.

There are different styles of shooting that don't use cheek weld but they are alternatives dictated by environment. The first that comes to mind is SBU. It is used to get as low as possible or to use certain types of cover. SBU Prone is great.

I thank you for your service.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:02   #29
MeanAction
MeanAction

Quote:
I have a lot of experience behind red dot sights and both eyes open shooting. Cheek weld allows for quick indexing allowing for repeatable performance. When I roll that weapon up from the ready position into the cheek the dot will be on whatever it is that I am looking at. No guess work.

There are different styles of shooting that don't use cheek weld but they are alternatives dictated by environment. The first that comes to mind is SBU. It is used to get as low as possible or to use certain types of cover. SBU Prone is great.

And thank you for yours. Since I have an underfolder and the stock doesn't follow the bore axis I will just have to enjoy my lack of critical cheek weld.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:38   #30
HWI

Cheek weld should be a non-issue if your red dot is parallax free. Once you see the dot on target you can fire, no need for a consistent cheek weld like there is with a scope.
HWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:46   #31
MeanAction
MeanAction

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWI View Post
Cheek weld should be a non-issue if your red dot is parallax free. Once you see the dot on target you can fire, no need for a consistent cheek weld like there is with a scope.
Hey bud! I'm sure you read the thread. I was all about some cheek weld but this set up I have now has very little cheek weld and I like it. ZERO jarring of the face or jaw and eyes. I'm new to this so we were having a nice discussion about it. Thanks for weighing in. I know I can always count on you. LOL
Old 11-23-2012, 01:50   #32
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
My underfolder puts meat on the table here is what it did last Tuesday

The Kalashnikov Klub

Good people sleep peaceable in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
Regards
DW

Last edited by Dalton Wayne; 11-23-2012 at 01:53..
Dalton Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:16   #33
MeanAction
MeanAction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton Wayne View Post
My underfolder puts meat on the table here is what it did last Tuesday

The Kalashnikov Klub
Awesome. I notice that your underfolder seems to follow the bore axis pretty well? Mine drops down more like this and really affects the cheek weld.

Last edited by MeanAction; 11-23-2012 at 05:34..
Old 11-23-2012, 02:25   #34
HWI

What's the country of origin on yours MeanAction?
The AK-47 Russian underfolders are angled, but they switched to straight when they started producing the AKM.
Bulgarians used to also use and angled stock, but now use a straight one. Though, I am not sure when they switched.
The Romanians and Chinese use the angled one.
The Yugos and Polish use a straight one.

I am not 100% on this, but I believe it to be the case.

Last edited by HWI; 11-23-2012 at 02:26..
HWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:36   #35
MeanAction
MeanAction

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWI View Post
What's the country of origin on yours MeanAction?
The AK-47 Russian underfolders are angled, but they switched to straight when they started producing the AKM.
Bulgarians used to also use and angled stock, but now use a straight one. Though, I am not sure when they switched.
The Romanians and Chinese use the angled one.
The Yugos and Polish use a straight one.

I am not 100% on this, but I believe it to be the case.
Romanian. The Feared WASR 10/63!
Old 11-23-2012, 13:52   #36
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender

Quote:

I have to agree with this. I don't shoot without a cheek weld so I can't compare. Cheek weld isn't really about paralax issues to me, it's about repeatable technique. Everything falls into place, nice and snug, time after time in the same place... it becomes familiar. The only thing left is to press the trigger when the dot begins to flash on the target, the consistent feel let's you know right before it happens. Hard to explain but it's an opinion none-the-less.

- "Our country went through a transition during the last election where the parasites came together and outnumbered the hosts." -jdavionic
uz2bUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 20:19   #37
Eric2340
Infidel :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanAction View Post
Yeah, I'm rocking a Aimpoint Comp M so there is really no need for a cheek weld. Stand at the ready. Focus on your target. Take weapon off safe. Raise weapon till the dot is on your target. Pull the trigger. Stay focused on your target throught process.

HOW and WHERE on your AK is your Aimpoint mounted?

Looking to add to mine and looking at various mounting options, not a fan of the forward scout mounted red dot on AKs....... :(

Thanks -
Old 11-24-2012, 23:30   #38
mjkeat

The best alternative to mounting a RDS on an AK is w/ the RSregulate mount.