Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:26   #1
Ljutic

G17 and Federal HST 9mm +P 147 Grain

This load restores my faith in the 147 bullet weights for the 9mm. Pretty awesome performance in the clear gel.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:44   #2
LawScholar

My friend recently got a G4 G17 for her first gun after she and I tested a bunch. I got her the 147-grain HST and we put the 17+1 pistol in a GunVault and I feel much better about her home and office security now. The expansion on that round is insane. It looks like a starfish of death when expanded.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:06   #3
cowboy1964

Firing into bare gel and from a Glock 17 certainly helps the test.

Strange that the gel shot velocity came in quite a bit below the 5-shot velocity string. Just a statistical anomaly I suppose.

The non +P 147 HST is also good. For anyone ultra recoil sensitive this is about the best possible compromise between effectiveness and recoil that there is.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 11-18-2012 at 12:17..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:54   #4
SCmasterblaster

Great expansion!
Old 11-18-2012, 13:41   #5
9mm +p+

Still no way I'd carry a 147 load in a 9mm.
Old 11-18-2012, 14:48   #6
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mm +p+ View Post
Still no way I'd carry a 147 load in a 9mm.
I wouldn't either. 115gr JHP +p+ for me.
Old 11-18-2012, 16:57   #7
unit1069

It seems to me that there's very little difference in performance between the standard pressure and +P 147-grain HST, so I guess that's a plus for anyone choosing this particular Federal round.

I still think the lighter 115- and 124/127-grain 9mm rounds have a more explosive wound track without losing anything in penetration.
Old 11-18-2012, 18:36   #8
jlavallee

I've been using the non +p load as my primary carry load for years now. I did a bunch of tests on various media and it came down to the HST 147 or the HST 124 +p+ with the 124 +p Ranger T in third.

Thankfully I bought a couple of cases and I thought it was expensive then but compared to now, it is nothing.

Track bills in Congress and tell politicians your opinion.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
jlavallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 14:22   #9
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlavallee View Post
I've been using the non +p load as my primary carry load for years now. I did a bunch of tests on various media and it came down to the HST 147 or the HST 124 +p+ with the 124 +p Ranger T in third.

Thankfully I bought a couple of cases and I thought it was expensive then but compared to now, it is nothing.
What kind of velocity did you get for the 9mm 124gr +p+ rounds?
Old 11-19-2012, 15:08   #10
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
What kind of velocity did you get for the 9mm 124gr +p+ rounds?

There is no 124 gr. +p+ HST. It is only +p & standard. Fed. does however still make a 124 gr. +p+ Hydra Shok and it is next to worthless as it doesn't even break 1200 fps and rarely opens up if at all.

Last edited by Tiro Fijo; 11-19-2012 at 15:10..
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 20:05   #11
Ljutic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
Fed. does however still make a 124 gr. +p+ Hydra Shok and it is next to worthless as it doesn't even break 1200 fps and rarely opens up if at all.
Wish I had seen this before I ordered a box yesterday to add to my testing stock. Oh well, I guess it's good to occasionally test bad ones too.
Old 11-19-2012, 21:52   #12
kenndapp

the second video (for 147 standard) is from tnoutdoors9 (hope i spelled the name right.)

he also tested the +p. i think his meathods are pretty sound. i also think he may be a forum member.

i am pretty sure the reason the +p got 14" in the clear gel but only 11" in calibrated ballistics gel......... was the clear gel. just saying.
with greater expansion comes less penetration.

Last edited by kenndapp; 11-19-2012 at 21:53..
kenndapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 22:14   #13
jlavallee

Perhaps it was +p in the HST 124, I could have sworn it was a +P+ load but maybe I am wrong. I can confirm that the Hydra Shock load I tested was not very impressive but that was a 115gr. I didn't chrono but I did test into water jugs, drywall ahead of water jugs, phone books and a couple of layers of denim over a hog. I just wanted to see for myself and this was out of a G26.

As I remember I tried all three weights in the Speer GD, all three in Ranger T but I don't think the 127 was out then, a Corbon 115 +P, Magtech in the 20 rd boxes at 115gr, remington bulk HP 115gr and a few other ones I had laying around.

Anyway, up to then I had often carried a 124 GD and was surprised to find that it seemed to plug and not really expand in the hog. To be honest, none except the HST and the 124 Ranger always penetrated and expanded somewhat. The Ranger 147 didn't expand for me in the pig as was the problem for a lot of rounds. A buddy of mine had been carrying the CorBon 115 +P because that was at one point the Mas Ayoob recommended load and it didn't measure up either with good but never great performance. We really should have video taped it all but the whole test thing was a pretty quick decision while looking at ammo at a gun show.

In the end we ran another couple of boxes of HST and Ranger through other guns like a G17, P99, 92FS, kahr/kel tec thing and the 147 HST always did pretty well. Ranger seemed to need more velocity when we shot out of his little gun but no matter what, it seemed like the 147gr HST always expanded and penetrated pretty well. P9HST2 is the code for the one we went with although there is a +p 147 HST out now, I've never tried it. I've ran the P9HST2 through all the guns I carry for function and point of aim/impact and regardless of what new stuff comes out, I'm happy with HST and still have about a case left. We bought 5k between us afterward and I could cry because it was less than a grand with taxes in late 06' which we thought was pretty darn expensive especially buying in bulk.

Caliber Corner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by jlavallee; 11-19-2012 at 22:25.. Reason: Added Photo
Old 11-19-2012, 22:29   #14
kenndapp

hearing those '06 prices makes me want to cry! and yes, this is an p9hst2 vs p9hst4 thread....i think. some one correct me if those are not right. i have a about 5 or 6 boxes of BOTH because i bought a half case of both and that's whats left after trying to find a damn advantage of one over the other. i still haven't decided which velocity variant of the 147gr i am more comfortable with.
Old 11-20-2012, 00:09   #15
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlavallee View Post
...I can confirm that the Hydra Shock load I tested was not very impressive but that was a 115gr...

There has never been a Hydra Shok 9mm in 115 gr.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:15   #16
jlavallee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
There has never been a Hydra Shok 9mm in 115 gr.
The stuff in the grey box that everyone used have for sale. Apparently that is Hi Shok and not Hydra Shock...

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/AMM-4061

Old 11-20-2012, 14:44   #17
Ljutic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenndapp View Post
the second video (for 147 standard) is from tnoutdoors9 (hope i spelled the name right.)

he also tested the +p. i think his meathods are pretty sound. i also think he may be a forum member.

i am pretty sure the reason the +p got 14" in the clear gel but only 11" in calibrated ballistics gel......... was the clear gel. just saying.
He is a forum member and seems to be a really good guy based on our exchange of messages via YouTube. I wouldn't compare the tests as there are too many other factors. Different barrel lengths, denim vs. no denim, and different media. The G17 test was only half the story as I also tested the same load in the short barrel PM9 but didn't post that test here because it wasn't shot from a Glock.
Old 11-20-2012, 22:02   #18
TWS G26

Quote:

Federal HST 9mm +P 147 gr JHP Ammo Test - YouTube

Thanks for posting those. Yeah, I check in here every once in awhile, looking at the crap that I'm stirring up!
Old 11-20-2012, 22:17   #19
kenndapp

hey tnoutdoors9! love the tests, great job! especially looking forward to the up coming rifle ammunition tests, particularly 5.56/223 and 7.62/.308 hunting/tac loads.

do you feel your test between 147gr hst +p and standard pressure 147gr hst were accurate?

and by that i mean..... if we were to take 147gr hst +p and standard pressure 147gr hst back to back in 100 different test in 100 different ways that the standard pressure would always penetrate more than the +p due to the wider expansion of the +p creating the parachute effect and slowing it down more rapidly?
Old 11-20-2012, 22:51   #20
unit1069

Quote:
hey tnoutdoors9! love the tests, great job!
I second that! Would love to see a test of the 9mm Fiocchi 115-grain Extrema XTP to see how it compares with the standard pressure 115-grain Speer Gold Dot posted a while back.

Those of us with small pocket 9mm pistols that the manufacturer warns against using +P need choices for our short-barrel pistols.