SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:49   #61
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Some here use the Barnes all copper bullet, they don't complain about excessive copper.

Sent from the toe of my jack boot using Tapatalk 2

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:25   #62
whitebread
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post
whitebread - do you run into really bad copper fouling with a solid copper bullet? I had a buddy give me a few hundred of the Nosler E-tips... I found a decent load, but it absolutely caked copper in the bore. The E-tips are gilding metal (copper / zinc). I never tried the Barnes bullets, but those are straight copper, right?
Straight copper with a blue plastic tip (if you get the ballistic tipped instead of hollow point). I haven't noticed any copper fouling. My patches also don't have any of the green color that would indicate copper being left in the bore. They actually shoot A LOT cleaner than the factory loaded Federal Premium Sierra GameKing I used to hunt with. FWIW, I am using IMR 4064 and Federal 210 primers with the Barnes...not sure of that makes any difference with regards to copper fouling.
whitebread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:47   #63
Brucev

Quote:
Originally Posted by superspud View Post
going to be doing some whitetail hunting and need to get a good 30-06 load.

i know nothing about what grain or type of bullet for this, im more of a small game type of hunter.

i was told by my hunting buddies to look in the 150-165 grain market with a soft tip bullet, which narrows it down to about 150 different types of bullet / manufacturers...

please advise, links are welcomed...
I've been hunting whitetailed deer in the southeast U.S. for 33 years. Briefly I used a .243 Winchester Model 70. I decided I wanted a little more power/bullet weight so I went to the .30-06 Springfield. I've not used anything else. I have used this round in Ruger and Remington rifles as well as surplus military rifles specifically 1903 and 1903-A3 rifles as well as M-1917 Enfield rifles. I have used this round in M-1 Garand rifles. Results have been superlative.

Whitetail deer are not heavily boned. Even a large buck will seldom weigh more than 200 lbs. in the southeastern United States. I have used bullets in weights from 150 to 180 grains. I've settled on the 150 and just about ideal. I've not ever had a problem with inadequate penetration using a Remington or Winchester 150 gr. .30-06 load. In fact, I've not ever recovered a bullet as it always goes in one side of the deer and out the other side.

The last deer I shot was hit just in front of the left hip. The bullet rakes up through the deer and exited out the right front shoulder. The bullet was a plain Jane Remington 150 gr. Pointed Soft-Point (PSP). The distance was 181 paces using a Smith Corona 1903-A3 rifle with the standard iron sights.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 15:07   #64
390ish

When I hunted with 30-06 for deer I really liked the Federal premium loaded with the 165 grain Sierra. It would expand, not explode and go through both sides of the deer at every range I shot. I had bad experiences with the ballistic tips when they first came out with bullets blowing up. Killed the deer but lost a lot of meat. I am a shoulder shooter because I don't like chasing deer. I understand the ballistic tips are tougher now, but I just shy away from them.
390ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 16:43   #65
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucev View Post
I've been hunting whitetailed deer in the southeast U.S. for 33 years. Briefly I used a .243 Winchester Model 70. I decided I wanted a little more power/bullet weight so I went to the .30-06 Springfield. I've not used anything else. I have used this round in Ruger and Remington rifles as well as surplus military rifles specifically 1903 and 1903-A3 rifles as well as M-1917 Enfield rifles. I have used this round in M-1 Garand rifles. Results have been superlative.

Whitetail deer are not heavily boned. Even a large buck will seldom weigh more than 200 lbs. in the southeastern United States. I have used bullets in weights from 150 to 180 grains. I've settled on the 150 and just about ideal. I've not ever had a problem with inadequate penetration using a Remington or Winchester 150 gr. .30-06 load. In fact, I've not ever recovered a bullet as it always goes in one side of the deer and out the other side.

The last deer I shot was hit just in front of the left hip. The bullet rakes up through the deer and exited out the right front shoulder. The bullet was a plain Jane Remington 150 gr. Pointed Soft-Point (PSP). The distance was 181 paces using a Smith Corona 1903-A3 rifle with the standard iron sights.
I guess that it helps to know deer anatomy if one is going to hunt them.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:28   #66
superspud
Ninja

update:

went hunting out in west texas over the weekend and wanted to report back to this thread. I was set on a Hornady Interlock 165gr but ended up going with the tried and true Remington Core Lokt in 165. It was considerably less expensive and ive heard decent things about it.

I assumed spotting duties most of the weekend but decided to take a doe toward the end of the day. We spotted one walking toward the top of a ridge so i sighted it in and fired. I didnt realize exactly how far away it was at the time, i aimed at his head because it was walking but the bullet hit on her front shoulder dropping her immediately.

as it turns out, it was a little over 300 yards away once we walked it off, i was pretty impressed.

as most of you have stated, the 30-06 is more than enough caliber to take down a whitetail. most of the guys who were out with us were using a .270. The 165 Core Lokt made a clean entry and exit, didnt really blow any part of the deer apart leaving the meat intact.

thanks for the help

Last edited by superspud; 11-19-2012 at 10:29..
superspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:39   #67
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Congratulations!

We want pics!
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:07   #68
PrecisionRifleman

Congratulations!! I'm glad everything came together for you!! Awesome!

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

G20SF
Gen4 G23
PrecisionRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:56   #69
superspud
Ninja

no pix unfortunately. was actually a little too excited to even remember to take a pic lol.

rookie mistake.
Old 11-19-2012, 13:26   #70
SCmasterblaster

I am considering deer hunting

And I want to use my 12-ga Mossberg M500 with slugs.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:10   #71
pmcjury

What does everyone think about 30-06 loaded with 125Gr Hollow points loaded to about 3100 fps.

I've got some land that I have access to opened up to rifle hunting and I am curious if that would be a good white tail load. It seems like it be plenty of power, but I am alittle concerned about it doing to much damage to meat. I figured I would check with you guys

Last edited by pmcjury; 11-20-2012 at 08:13..
pmcjury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:24   #72
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcjury View Post
What does everyone think about 30-06 loaded with 125Gr Hollow points loaded to about 3100 fps.

I've got some land that I have access to opened up to rifle hunting and I am curious if that would be a good white tail load. It seems like it be plenty of power, but I am alittle concerned about it doing to much damage to meat. I figured I would check with you guys
Sounds like a good load for wood chucks, coyote and other varmints. I think the bullet will come apart very quickly on a deer. I think it would make quite a mess and not penetrate well.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:00   #73
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
I have often wondered what deer hunters do to take deer without too much meat damage. Is most of the meat far away from the heart-lung wound channel?
If a deer is standing broadside to you, shoot it just an inch or two behind the shoulder. You want to get close to that shoulder, but not hit it. Too far back and you got guts and a wounded deer with a lot of tracking all day and the next day. Hit that shoulder and you are going to ruin meat.

Up and down (meaning vertically), your shot would ideally be below the middle of the body, about 2/3 the way down from the top of the deer's back. But a center hit vertically would be fine, too.

Just do NOT do a center hit left and right (meaning horizontally). The bullet will be too far back of the vitals. Instead, very important to get as CLOSE to the shoulder as you can without actually hitting the shoulder.

What you want, in my opinion, is for both lungs to be blown through. You want a hole through one side of the ribcage near the shoulder, and out the other side of the ribcage near the shoulder. When you gut the deer, the stomach and intestines will be intact, and the lung area be a bloody mess. And all the shoulder meat will be untouched.

If you hit the heart, great, but that sits just a tad low and forward, kinda partially blocked by the shoulder and elbow. When I say "shoulder", I'm including the shoulder bone that goes all the way down to the elbow.

When the deer isn't directly broadside to you, it gets harder. You have to change your point of aim so the bullet draws a line through th inside of what I've described.

Personally, I say just wait for the perfect broadside shot. Bowhunting teaches you that.

I'm not sure why anyone takes crazy ass shots at deer. I guess they are so desparate to shoot. Hunt the darn thing, get it into that perfect broadside position, then place your well aimed shot.
ithaca_deerslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:08   #74
dkf

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcjury View Post
For deer you are better off with a bonded pointed soft point with that weight bullet.

Last edited by dkf; 11-20-2012 at 09:08..
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:56   #75
pmcjury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post
Sounds like a good load for wood chucks, coyote and other varmints. I think the bullet will come apart very quickly on a deer. I think it would make quite a mess and not penetrate well.
OK that is sort of what I was thinking. I've got a bunch of corelokt, fusion, and hand loaded sp, and sierra game kings in different weights between 150-180 grains
Old 11-21-2012, 14:01   #76
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
For deer you are better off with a bonded pointed soft point with that weight bullet.
So true!
Old 11-21-2012, 17:15   #77
dougader

Quote:
Originally Posted by superspud View Post
update:
...ended up going with the tried and true Remington Core Lokt in 165. It was considerably less expensive and ive heard decent things about it.
That's the thing about those Core Lokt bullets. They just plain work, and usually cost less than some of the latest and greatest you see advertised all over the place.

"In St. Louis, armed Homeland Security agents monitored Tea Party members protesting the IRS. Good idea. When people think their government is out to get them, the best response is to send the government out to get them." -Fred Thompson
dougader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:12   #78
kmrcstintn

my .30-06 is the Remington 760 that was my dad's before his passing...

for decades, his 'standard' load was the Remington Core-Lokt 150gr pointed soft point; when his shoulder couldn't take the recoil in later years, I had a Limbsaver recoil pad fitted and switched him over to Remington Core-Lokt 'Managed Recoil' 125gr pointed soft points...less perceived recoil than 150gr .30-30 in the Marlin 336 I owned at the time

if I use his rifle, I will stick with the Managed Recoil ammo since the rifle likes it alot
kmrcstintn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:14   #79
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrcstintn View Post
my .30-06 is the Remington 760 that was my dad's before his passing...

for decades, his 'standard' load was the Remington Core-Lokt 150gr pointed soft point; when his shoulder couldn't take the recoil in later years, I had a Limbsaver recoil pad fitted and switched him over to Remington Core-Lokt 'Managed Recoil' 125gr pointed soft points...less perceived recoil than 150gr .30-30 in the Marlin 336 I owned at the time

if I use his rifle, I will stick with the Managed Recoil ammo since the rifle likes it alot
And you still got more velocity than an AK
ithaca_deerslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:23   #80
kmrcstintn

unfortunately I can't find the original mags to my dad's Remington 760 (and the replacements I ordered @ 2 weeks ago haven't arrived yet), so if I go out for PA's firearm season I'll be toting my Savage 111G in .25-06 and the load I've got sighted in for it is Winchester Super-X 90gr positive expansion point: http://www.winchester.com/Products/r...5-06+Remington (a bit light, but I stocked up and have 7 boxes of it -- and I'm on a tight budget right now to stay afloat)

the alternative is using my Benelli Nova 12ga pump thumper (using the 2 beads on the rib for aiming) shooting Brenneke K.O slugs: http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/ko.html

or Brenneke Tactical Home Defense slugs: http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/l_tac...e_defense.html
kmrcstintn is offline   Reply With Quote