SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-18-2012, 14:29   #41
Aceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
It is not that I like thing that go boom. It is that I have a bias toward things that make little holes in other things.

Or to put it a different way, shooting suppressed guns is will put a smile on my face every time.

As far as the SBR, if you don't get it, you just don't get it. They are like potato chips, suppressors, M&Ms. Once you start using one, you will want another. I am still looking for the BEST setup.
Oh I TOTALLY get the SBR thing! Dude - 7.62x39 is the KING of SBR rounds! (sensibly cheap readily available rounds, anyway...)

Still - as you point out: Suppressors, SBR's, FA.... While all useful, let's be honest; The fun factor at the moment FAR outweighs any "usefulness" of those things since the S has not hit the F.

And I question the usefulness of FA if you do not have a tank....
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 16:19   #42
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
It is not that I like thing that go boom. It is that I have a bias toward things that make little holes in other things.

Or to put it a different way, shooting suppressed guns is will put a smile on my face every time.

As far as the SBR, if you don't get it, you just don't get it. They are like potato chips, suppressors, M&Ms. Once you start using one, you will want another. I am still looking for the BEST setup.

RW & I are in complete agreement on this one..

..but I believe my latest suppressed SBR projects (aka #3 & #4) in 300 BLK will be "best" setups for my needs...(sans a RDAIS)!

http://pullig.dyndns.org/practicalpr...st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Very nice to have a dedicated, semi-auto, subsonic cartridge that is very effective with a SBR length barrel of 8" or 9"..

..versus the 5.56 that is not!

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"

Last edited by LongGun1; 11-18-2012 at 16:28..
LongGun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 16:34   #43
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
...And that no home is as well geared up as LG1's.

Actually.....Myth's abode would be that Über-gear home!

He has that covered very well!

Me....I am just a working man...

..doing what I can!

Old 11-18-2012, 16:36   #44
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirgi08 View Post
Got 15k on the way,I blame LG-1.

5k .223

5k .308

2k .40sw

2k .45acp

1k 7.62x39.Don't have one,barter does work.'08.

Nice!!!

Old 11-18-2012, 17:47   #45
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Still - as you point out: Suppressors, SBR's, FA.... While all useful, let's be honest; The fun factor at the moment FAR outweighs any "usefulness" of those things since the S has not hit the F.
The fun factor is high during non-SHTF, BUT......

If you have a rifle you can not really take it to a shelter without EVERYONE knowing you have a rifle. With the correct SBR, you can have a conversation with an Anti and they never even know it is in the bag.

Have you ever been hunting and see two animals you would want to kill and known that the other will be gone as soon as you take the first shot? The suppressor can help with that.

Same thing but with humans coming to get you.

Full auto is hard for me to justify. It only really works if you have an unlimited supply of ammo. OR it is a last ditch effort before you are overrun.

Then again I have not found the perfect platform. I think I could design it, but it currently is not on the market.
Old 11-18-2012, 23:09   #46
LongGun1
StraightShooter

This has turned out to be a great thread..

..RW has some very good points on an SBR for SHTF!

Old 11-19-2012, 06:53   #47
Aceman

Hey - An SBR is great for all kinds of stuff from impressing the chics at the range with your cool operator stylings, to being easily concealed, lighter to carry and handy indoors in the event this were a real SHTF.

But it is way down on my list of needs. More water, food, meds. fuel, comms, tools, etc...

And having two guns and backup that you are super skilled/confident with is way better than an arsenal of which you have passing familiarity.

I am still very much of the mind that the grand firefight for which all prepare and hope for (yet will pee our pants if ity happens) is mostly a myth for most SHTF's we will encounter.

The reality is that over 30 days we won't shoot 10 rounds. But as always, better to have them when you need them than not have them!

If I really need to go from zero to ready I'd go out and buy a use 870 of any barrel length, and get three boxes of buck shot and one of slugs. Then I'd get a used Glock 19 and a box of Federal SD ammo, and a couple of boxes of 115 FMJ and call it ready. After that 30 days of food and water is more important.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:11   #48
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
But it is way down on my list of needs. More water, food, meds. fuel, comms, tools, etc...
I think that is true for many people. If that is true for the OP then that is what he needs to do. I point back at the Risk Matrix. I think everyone should access the risks and probability, make plans and then buy gear to support the plan.

But that was not the question that was asked.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:19   #49
dukeblue91

Quote:
Hey - An SBR is great for all kinds of stuff from impressing the chics at the range with your cool operator stylings, to being easily concealed, lighter to carry and handy indoors in the event this were a real SHTF.

And having two guns and backup that you are super skilled/confident with is way better than an arsenal of which you have passing familiarity.

I am still very much of the mind that the grand firefight for which all prepare and hope for (yet will pee our pants if ity happens) is mostly a myth for most SHTF's we will encounter.

The reality is that over 30 days we won't shoot 10 rounds. But as always, better to have them when you need them than not have them!

If I really need to go from zero to ready I'd go out and buy a use 870 of any barrel length, and get three boxes of buck shot and one of slugs. Then I'd get a used Glock 19 and a box of Federal SD ammo, and a couple of boxes of 115 FMJ and call it ready. After that 30 days of food and water is more important.
I totally agree with you in that those firefights are mostly in peoples minds and thoughts but the reality will play out much differently.
Concentrating on main supplies is way more important then having 20000 rounds of extra ammo.
The only reason I have more then a couple hundred rounds is that I think that they will make a great barter item and also may be restricted by the government.
I think that the reason so many preppers are so into the guns and ammo is because they already like them and they are already a hobby.
The idea of loosing our toys and the ability to shoot them is terrifying to us and thus why we stock up so much.
In reality it would have less to do with pure survival, and not to say that no one needs a certain amount to protect themselves and their family but having several gun battles with hundreds of rounds exchanged is highly unlikely for most people.

But as they saying goes it is better to have then to want.
dukeblue91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:50   #50
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeblue91 View Post
I totally agree with you in that those firefights are mostly in peoples minds and thoughts but the reality will play out much differently.
Concentrating on main supplies is way more important then having 20000 rounds of extra ammo.
The only reason I have more then a couple hundred rounds is that I think that they will make a great barter item and also may be restricted by the government.
I think that the reason so many preppers are so into the guns and ammo is because they already like them and they are already a hobby.
The idea of loosing our toys and the ability to shoot them is terrifying to us and thus why we stock up so much.
In reality it would have less to do with pure survival, and not to say that no one needs a certain amount to protect themselves and their family but having several gun battles with hundreds of rounds exchanged is highly unlikely for most people.

But as they saying goes it is better to have then to want.
Agreed. The most likely scenario is protecting yourself from looting, not engaging in a huge gun fight. That's good news, though, because a prepared realist is more likely to survive an encounter with looters on his/her property than in a larger scale gun fight.

I stock .223, 20 gauge, .45 and .22.

My new predicament involves the two antique rifles I currently have in my house - a 1917 Winchester chambered in 30-06 and a 1898 Springfield in 30-40 Krag. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be worth while to have a few hundred rounds of each, or buy more .223, 20 gaugae, .45 or .22.

"He'd look better with lividity" - BlueIron

Black Rifle Club - RRA-PSG
S&W Club - 22227

Last edited by volsbear; 11-19-2012 at 11:54..
volsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 13:35   #51
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Nope....we rarely go to public ranges..

..and we normally bring our own chicks!

A few things not mentioned (300 BLK SBR vs. average semi-Pistol)

SBR's have a much better "stand-off distance" ..

..fast day/night optics..

..good barrier penetration..

..higher capacity..

..more accurate..(especially on moving targets)..

..quick followup shots..

..suppresses very well.

Most of the advantages of a carbine..

..with a few advantages the carbine does not have.

All of which can make a difference some really bad day or night!

All that being said..

..if you do not have food, hydration, shelter, etc ..squared away 1st

..then the subject of an SBR should not apply.

Suppressed custom SBRs are not "Prepping 101"..

..& balanced preps are key!

Last edited by LongGun1; 11-19-2012 at 13:52..
Old 11-20-2012, 08:55   #52
Aceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongGun1 View Post
All that being said..

Old 11-20-2012, 08:59   #53
BR549
Thread Killer

Quote:
Nope....we rarely go to public ranges..

..and we normally bring our own chicks!
He was probably talking about female humans...

...not the "chicks" you get in a sack from Krystal...

..or those you get in buckets from KFC...

Joking aside...

...I'm not here to put down the 300 BLK SBR at all, as it has some great qualities and a great mixture of good qualities...

However, some of the Lil-G-one statements need to be thought out carefully by anyone who would drop everything and go straight out to buy a 300 BLK SBR just because they are an eL Jee Wan pup...

Quote:
A few things not mentioned (300 BLK SBR vs. average semi-Pistol)

SBR's have a much better "stand-off distance" .. more explanation as to concept maybe??? but a 7mmWSSM or .300WSSM or .358WSSM provides better than .300BLK.... some of us are quite excellent with "average semi-pistols" at distances well over 100 yards and train with such...instead of just 10-yard target tree shooting with 10/22s...

..fast day/night optics.. are NOT exclusive to SBR

..good barrier penetration..

..higher capacity.. a G26 or G19 is an average semi-Pistol with magazine capacities of 33 rounds

..more accurate..(especially on moving targets).. accuracy depends heavily on shooter (especially on moving targets)

..quick followup shots.. follow up shots depend heavily on shooter skill...not necessarily on ROF

..suppresses very well. as do average semi-pistols

Most of the advantages of a carbine..what is SBR lacking that a carbine has...other than barrel length ? ? ?

..with a few advantages the carbine does not have. again...other than barrel length ? ? ?

All of which can make a difference some really bad day or night!

All that being said..

Last edited by BR549; 11-20-2012 at 10:34..
BR549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:19   #54
Glock 1

Ok, update time. I read the input and I have decided to build up ammo only for the guns I have for the people in my house that shoot them proficiently. I hope that came out right. 3 - 9mm's, 1 - 45, and 1 12 gauge. I put the 380 up for sale as well as the 308. I am going to replace the 308 with a Remington 700 in 308 due to accuracy issues. I am also adding a Glock 17.

I have three people who are good with the 9mm so I am building that stock pile the most as far as handguns go. I am great on the 45 so that is in there as well but only about 500 rounds.

I took your advice on the shotgun and bought a Mossberg 500 Persuader 8 shot that will be here tomorrow. The 20g has sentimental value so it stays but only as a last resort will it be used. I figured I had to buy shotgun ammo anyway, might as well get the gun and the ammo at the same time. I have a friend who has a long barrel for it that he doesn't use and I am going to pick that up in case I need to hunt with it.

I also have 2 .22lr pistols on order to make a total of 3 .22's and then a 10/22 I am waiting on as well but its been planned for sometime.

So, its 9mm, 45 acp, 22, and 12 gauge. Oh, and 223 but I have a relative who was in need of funds and sold off his AR and 223 bolt action rifle and he has a couple thousand rounds of 223 he is letting me have for a hundred bucks. That was a lucky find for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Glock 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:22   #55
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:55   #56
BR549
Thread Killer

.. ..
BR549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 15:46   #57
dukeblue91

Sounds like a nice setup.
dukeblue91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 19:12   #58
Glock 1

Thanks. Only problem I see is the shtf taking too long to get here. I will probably have alot of guns, ammo and food by then. And we all know how awful that would be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Glock 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 19:56   #59
Aceman

The guy on the original vid here put the round right between the eyes at maybe 25 yards. At 150 it could easily glance off the skull on a less than perfect shot and really piss off whoever it hit.

Last edited by Aceman; 11-20-2012 at 19:56..
Old 11-20-2012, 19:57   #60
Aceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock 1 View Post
Thanks. Only problem I see is the shtf taking too long to get here. I will probably have alot of guns, ammo and food by then. And we all know how awful that would be.
If you want to kill TIME - a .22 is perfect for that, and cheap too!