GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 16:51   #101
Kozel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 46.58N 121.75W
Posts: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
Having never put a condom on a cucumber, you very may be right. All the little bumps might slow it down considerably; in your experience, do they?
Since you only had to put condom on a banana (without bumps that is) now I am totally certain that Citizen of Dreams could fieldstrip an AK faster then you could put condom on cucumber. All those bumps would slow you down so much.
Kozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:50   #102
pugman
Senior Member
 
pugman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinePride View Post
It's the continuing dumbing down process of the USA and you are seeing the results of it, firsthand.
While I agree what is being produced by public schools today is pathetic; I dont' think its so much the dumbing down of America as what passes for skilled has changed a lot.

I've seen coworkers who can't remember simple commands on some of our platforms yet they can remember the name of every weapon, damage, range, etc of some role playing game.

They can't drive well (they drive for lunch every once in a while) but can play some driving video game like the wind.

They don't play any sports or work out but are the masters of Madden football.

And this just isn't video game based. My nephew, a somewhat shy kid, has a pretty small group of flesh and blood friends but has 1600 on facebook?

So we have a whole generation of people who have the hand/eye coordination of a machine when it comes to Halo but ask them to hit a ball, swing a hammer or drive a car and forget about it.

Hell, look at some of the "jobs" today: personal shopper, professional blogger, video game reviewer?
__________________
Now when asked when I think things will change I answer "The next time Thomas (aka the fed) robs Peter (aka the 53%) to pay Paul (aka the 47%) and Peter pulls a gun...things will change"
pugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:43   #103
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.
 
NeverMore1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Amarillo, Tx
Posts: 27,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozel View Post
Since you only had to put condom on a banana (without bumps that is) now I am totally certain that Citizen of Dreams could fieldstrip an AK faster then you could put condom on cucumber. All those bumps would slow you down so much.
I bow to your extensive experience at putting condoms on things other than yourself.
__________________
And if we should die tonight
We should all die together
Raise a glass of wine
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:56   #104
Kevin108
HADOKEN!
 
Kevin108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Portsmouth, VA
Posts: 6,952


Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGatorFan View Post
Excluding students trying to make a little cash while in school, why would anyone worth a crap want a cashier job?
For many stores, it's an entry-level position with potential. With no skills at all, you can learn to be a cashier, become proficient, go to head cashier and possibly later to some level of management. Add in some school while you're working and success is quite likely.
__________________
Kevin108.com | OpenCarry.org | VCDL.org

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a
little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
_____- Ben Franklin
Kevin108 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 14:00   #105
AWoods
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 72
Every job opens up potential for the future. Customer service is still a very important skill. Even in the IT dept, being able to deal with customers and make sure they are satisfied puts you heads above most people.
AWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 17:54   #106
SevenSixtyTwo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tampa Bay Area Fl
Posts: 2,753
It's all economics. You can't buy a Lexus for a Yugo price. You can't buy top notch labor for broom pusher pay. No one is "entitled" to cheap labor. If Republicans could get a grip on that simple concept, Obama would have never had a first term, much less a second term. Somewhere between illegal alien pay and CEO pay will be your perfect employee.
SevenSixtyTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 18:15   #107
Reyn
Times Up
 
Reyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSixtyTwo View Post
It's all economics. You can't buy a Lexus for a Yugo price. You can't buy top notch labor for broom pusher pay. No one is "entitled" to cheap labor. If Republicans could get a grip on that simple concept, Obama would have never had a first term, much less a second term. Somewhere between illegal alien pay and CEO pay will be your perfect employee.
Sounds like the pay is what the market will bare.
Reyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 18:33   #108
SevenSixtyTwo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tampa Bay Area Fl
Posts: 2,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyn View Post
Sounds like the pay is what the market will bare.
Very true. But the employer is the one who has to decide if he wants a Lexus or a Yugo. If he needs a good strong F250, That'll be a bit more than a Yugo and quite a bit less than a Lexus. The reliable and ultra efficient Prius fits another need but is also more than the Yugo and less than the Lexus. Too many expect the Yugo to do the job of an F250 as efficiently as a Prius while riding like a Lexus and then beach and moan that it doesn't.

I had a lady in a new $2.6 million dollar two story condo in a highrise offer me $20 to stop by after hours to make a minor adjustment to a computer in her building. The company I work for wanted $300 for the hour's work. She said that was an outrage. I couldn't help but wonder what she charged an hour for whatever service she provides that afforded her to live in such a residence a couple of months out of the year when she wasn't in NY at her primary residence all the while thinking $300 an hour is an outrage. She called back a couple of weeks later to have the $300 service performed. She'll really soil her silk when she loses her key fob to her Mercedes! The entitlement mentality is far from limited to the bottom feeders.
SevenSixtyTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 19:01   #109
FLGatorFan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
For many stores, it's an entry-level position with potential. With no skills at all, you can learn to be a cashier, become proficient, go to head cashier and possibly later to some level of management. Add in some school while you're working and success is quite likely.
So basically we're in agreement. I don't know much about retail but I believe management usually requires a college degree unless you're talking about a mom and pop kind of place.
FLGatorFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 19:55   #110
Hef
Stop Obammunism
 
Hef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Hilton Head, SC
Posts: 4,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSixtyTwo View Post
Very true. But the employer is the one who has to decide if he wants a Lexus or a Yugo. If he needs a good strong F250, That'll be a bit more than a Yugo and quite a bit less than a Lexus. The reliable and ultra efficient Prius fits another need but is also more than the Yugo and less than the Lexus. Too many expect the Yugo to do the job of an F250 as efficiently as a Prius while riding like a Lexus and then beach and moan that it doesn't.

I had a lady in a new $2.6 million dollar two story condo in a highrise offer me $20 to stop by after hours to make a minor adjustment to a computer in her building. The company I work for wanted $300 for the hour's work. She said that was an outrage. I couldn't help but wonder what she charged an hour for whatever service she provides that afforded her to live in such a residence a couple of months out of the year when she wasn't in NY at her primary residence all the while thinking $300 an hour is an outrage. She called back a couple of weeks later to have the $300 service performed. She'll really soil her silk when she loses her key fob to her Mercedes! The entitlement mentality is far from limited to the bottom feeders.
I've worked for millionaires and billionaires, and they vary widely in their attitudes toward money and entitlement. I recall one extremely wealthy man I worked for recently. He hired me to build cabinets at his daughter's house. I gave him a thorough estimate to build what he requested, and he cut out 80% of it.

His reason? "It's too expensive, as he is on a fixed income". I Could have punched him. He has a huge beachfront house in Barbados, another in London, and his house here, among others. I don't think it crossed his mind that I would investigate the backgrounds of my potential clients. To add further insult, he wanted to cut my estimate down even further by attempting to convince me to use cheaper materials and hardware.

We ended up doing a small portion of the original quoted work. It makes me sick to think of all the time I wasted with that liar.

In contrast, I built a house (as a carpenter, not the GC) a little over 10 years ago that is currently on the market for $26,000,000. The owner spared no expense, everyone made good money, and all was well. No "fixed income" BS.
__________________
Molon labe
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 20:11   #111
Gunhaver
the wrong hands
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,736
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozel View Post
Since you only had to put condom on a banana (without bumps that is) now I am totally certain that Citizen of Dreams could fieldstrip an AK faster then you could put condom on cucumber. All those bumps would slow you down so much.
That's a perfect example of one of those top-of-the-page posts that has you backing up to see HTF the conversation got to this point.
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:33   #112
stevelyn
NRA Life Member
 
stevelyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fairbanksan in Aleutian Hell
Posts: 8,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTop View Post
I assume because some people hate cops. Especially people you may have personally put in the slammer.
Do you know how many half-way house residents, furlough felons and other assorted criminal trash work in restaurants?

The time I spent working on the corrections side has been invalueable.
__________________
Usually sufferers of paraphilic infantilism are proud of their condition. Kinda like being a liberal. Your mental flaws are there for the entire world to see, and you're damned proud of it. - tank_monkey
stevelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:15   #113
meleors
Cranky Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
For many stores, it's an entry-level position with potential. With no skills at all, you can learn to be a cashier, become proficient, go to head cashier and possibly later to some level of management. Add in some school while you're working and success is quite likely.
Yes, in only 5-10 years you can be making a whopping $30k per year!
meleors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:27   #114
DanaT
Pharaoh
 
DanaT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: CO & Baden –Württemberg
Posts: 15,829
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hef View Post
We ended up doing a small portion of the original quoted work. It makes me sick to think of all the time I wasted with that liar.
I vaguely remember you trying to sell me all kinds of stuff I didnt need. You thought your high pressure sales tactics would work on me.
__________________
Quote:
Twice a week? 14 times a month?
Quote:
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:50   #115
SevenSixtyTwo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tampa Bay Area Fl
Posts: 2,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hef View Post
I've worked for millionaires and billionaires, and they vary widely in their attitudes toward money and entitlement. I recall one extremely wealthy man I worked for recently. He hired me to build cabinets at his daughter's house. I gave him a thorough estimate to build what he requested, and he cut out 80% of it.

His reason? "It's too expensive, as he is on a fixed income". I Could have punched him. He has a huge beachfront house in Barbados, another in London, and his house here, among others. I don't think it crossed his mind that I would investigate the backgrounds of my potential clients. To add further insult, he wanted to cut my estimate down even further by attempting to convince me to use cheaper materials and hardware.

We ended up doing a small portion of the original quoted work. It makes me sick to think of all the time I wasted with that liar.

In contrast, I built a house (as a carpenter, not the GC) a little over 10 years ago that is currently on the market for $26,000,000. The owner spared no expense, everyone made good money, and all was well. No "fixed income" BS.
I've noticed the same thing over the past 32 years. Some are very nice, reasonable and generous. I was on the phone with a multimillionaire yesterday discussing a situation in one of his buildings that needs to be corrected during regular working hours Monday. He and his wife are from London and their accents are captivating. I go out of my way to accommodate customers like them. The others? Well, it's business and we provide a high end service. Our shareholders expect a handsome profit just like they do.
SevenSixtyTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:35   #116
Kozel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 46.58N 121.75W
Posts: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
I bow to your extensive experience.
Keep doing that.

While I was learning how to fieldstrip and shoot an AK and dig foxholes you were taught how to put condom onto things it did not belong to be on and you still bow down to my condom use skills!

Very nice of you!



.

Last edited by Kozel; 11-18-2012 at 09:44..
Kozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:25   #117
Aux Bear
Senior Member
 
Aux Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SW Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 429
Send a message via ICQ to Aux Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71bill View Post
5 and 1/2 eighths.
I nearly drowned in my coffee laughing at that one! Bonus Points Awarded! Now I've gotta go change my shirt....
__________________
Certified Glock Armorer
Certified Police Firearms Instructor
Certified IL CCW Instructor
Aux Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:31   #118
devildog2067
Senior Member
 
devildog2067's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Near Chicago, IL
Posts: 15,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinePride View Post
It's the continuing dumbing down process of the USA and you are seeing the results of it, firsthand.
It's not that simple. The education that students at top public schools receive is better than it has ever been. I took multivariable calculus in high school. In many ways, the US is smarter than ever.

The issue is that lots of people who would have flunked out of high school 40 years ago are being passed along from grade to grade without being required to learn anything.
devildog2067 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:42   #119
DaneA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 2,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by meleors View Post
Yes, in only 5-10 years you can be making a whopping $30k per year!
Apparently you either have never worked in retail or just weren't smart enough to move up. I just had a guy that had been with the company less than 2 years with 0 retail experience when he started go from $8.50/hr to 45k/year plus bonus. Retail is one of the few industries left that someone without a college degree can excel. I know many store managers and district managers that do not have a college degree but run great stores and districts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
It's not that simple. The education that students at top public schools receive is better than it has ever been. I took multivariable calculus in high school. In many ways, the US is smarter than ever.

The issue is that lots of people who would have flunked out of high school 40 years ago are being passed along from grade to grade without being required to learn anything.
No Idiot Left Behind. Good idea, horrible execution.
DaneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:16   #120
SevenSixtyTwo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tampa Bay Area Fl
Posts: 2,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
It's not that simple. The education that students at top public schools receive is better than it has ever been. I took multivariable calculus in high school. In many ways, the US is smarter than ever.

The issue is that lots of people who would have flunked out of high school 40 years ago are being passed along from grade to grade without being required to learn anything.
I made it to advanced algebra. Never thought I'd use it. Now I use it quite often. I thought very highly of my government school algebra teacher. Loved math. Hated literature. School took a turn in '72.

The same people who are being passed along from grade to grade are being raised by parents being passed along from house to house with you and I paying 70% of their rent while they run down our neighborhoods. Society took a turn in '68.
SevenSixtyTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:25   #121
Hef
Stop Obammunism
 
Hef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Hilton Head, SC
Posts: 4,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSixtyTwo View Post
I made it to advanced algebra. Never thought I'd use it. Now I use it quite often. I thought very highly of my government school algebra teacher. Loved math. Hated literature. School took a turn in '72.

The same people who are being passed along from grade to grade are being raised by parents being passed along from house to house with you and I paying 70% of their rent while they run down our neighborhoods. Society took a turn in '68.
Thanks LBJ!
__________________
Molon labe
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:40   #122
guns54
toni
 
guns54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizz View Post
Awful. I wonder if any of them were just putting in applications so that they can stay qualified for unemployment benefits.

And you aren't kidding about the ease of the job. When I was working fast food in high school...


That says it right there. I was still in high school, as were many co-workers, so that means a high-school dropout could do it.
How right you are.They dont want to work.
__________________
be honest and kind and it will come back to you in many ways.
guns54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 13:17   #123
SevenSixtyTwo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tampa Bay Area Fl
Posts: 2,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hef View Post
Thanks LBJ!
If Texas secedes from the Union, can we make them take their Texan LBJ's legislation with them?
SevenSixtyTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 13:54   #124
G-19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneA View Post
Because these people are not employable.
I have been trying to find a cashier for the last two weeks. A simple job of running a cash register and being nice to customers.

I have been through around 100 applications and have only found 4-5 that even make the cut to get called in for an interview.

Some interesting things on applications though:
Under customer service skills:
"im about good at that"
Under previous employment:
Employer Name:
didn't have one
Address:
Don't know
Phone number:
phone book

And best of all, when filling out an application it is a good idea to put a phone number on it to be contacted at.

Really it should be this hard to find a qualified person to run a cash register. It isn't exactly skilled labor.
Maybe, just maybe you are not offering enough in the wage department to attract more qualified applicants.
G-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 15:55   #125
DaneA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 2,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-19 View Post
Maybe, just maybe you are not offering enough in the wage department to attract more qualified applicants.
Maybe, just maybe pay hasn't been advertised. And just possibly I start people higher than most of the retailers in the area.
DaneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:24.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,180
364 Members
816 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42